This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like things aren’t going too well on here. I’m bummed too—I was told practically everyone on this waitlist gets in and don’t have a full plan for how to approach the next year while I reapply. @LabileEmotions I’ve been enjoying your daily quotes. I think now is a good time for a story. I’ve changed some titles but this is 100% factual, and I’ve had it confirmed by others who were there.

A few years ago my fire engine and an ambulance were responding on a call for a “Sick Person.” On our way there, the captain riding up front tells us “Okay guys, dispatch says the patient is both blind and deaf.” To which everyone onboard says something like, “Huh, well this will be interesting.”

I walk up to the front door and ring the bell. A nice person (I’m being vague), who I will call Roommate, answers and brings us inside. It is immediately apparent that Roommate is fully deaf and progressively blind. Roommate moves around the house pretty easily and talks to us, but can’t hear us. Roommate explains that the patient, a new roommate, just moved in. We walk into Patient’s room to find him doubled over on the floor groaning and clutching his stomach.

Patient is fully blind, fully deaf, and nonverbal. The only pertinent signs are obvious abdominal pain. There are no symptoms, because Patient can’t say anything. Our crews are now divided up solving this problem. I’m in the office with Roommate, trying to find out any useful information that might provide us a clue as to what’s going on. The ambulance crew is working on moving the patient, and a few other firefighters are going through Patient’s bedroom and bathroom hoping to find something with Patient’s name on it. Patient has no ID, no wallet, no medications with his name, no photos, no bills, etc. We have no way to identify him.

Now begins the most clever and least efficient form of communication I’ve ever seen. In the office, Roommate has a small computer-like device that I had only read about in my EMT textbook. It has a small keyboard and several rows of ballbearings. Roommate gives my captain a phone number that he calls, which turns out to be a call service. The lady on the other end now serves as the relay in this conversation. My captain asks a question to the call taker, who sends it to the little computer, which converts the message into brail on the rows of ball-bearings, Roommate reads the brail, then either types or says a response. Perfect.

At this point the ambulance crew is outside, loaded and ready to leave for the hospital. I am now relaying their questions from the street back to the house to ask through this call center. The most information obtained is Patient’s first name. The ambulance departs and we all clean up our gear.

Now, this was confirmed by the ambulance crew. The ambulance unit officer calls the receiving ED to inform them of their arrival. She states, “Be advised, patient is both blind and deaf; we will need an interpreter.” They arrive at the hospital and one of the senior doctors walks up. I know this doc to be brilliant at her job. The charge EMT says to the doctor, “The patient is blind and deaf.” The doctor shouts at the patient, “WHAT’S WRONG?” The EMT goes, “Doc, he’s deaf. He can write though if you give him a pen.” They hand him a pen. Patient writes “INTERPRETER.” To this the doc writes back, “WHAT’S WRONG?” The EMT responds, “Doc, he’s blind.”

Two takeaways. First, ya know on every med school’s admissions page where it says Cognitive/Motor Skills? This basically says you can perform the functions every doctor needs (talk to people, read, write, pick things up, put things down). No matter how much this process sucks, all of us are actually doing very well and our lives are relatively easy. Second, no matter how much education and training you’ll get as a doctor, some days you’ll just be plain stupid. Stay humble.
Holy smokes there’s some perspective. Thanks for this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Are people still on wait list for the 2018-2019 cycle even after interview invites have been given out for the 2019-2020 cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If reapplying, is there any reason not to send an application to schools that you're still waitlisted at?

Are people still on wait list for the 2018-2019 cycle even after interview invites have been given out for the 2019-2020 cycle?

Imagine interviewing at the school you're still waitlisted at. That would be wild.

If reapplying, is there any reason not to send an application to schools that you're still waitlisted at?

I think it's fine. IIRC from a comment @gyngyn posted here earlier the schools will see that you did not PTE or CTE anywhere so they already know that you have no acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone is interested--during my most recent (and probably last) correspondence with my school (CTE was on July 8th) they basically said that the class is now full of CTE's and they will not have any further waitlist movement. I guess this is it guys. I knew it was coming but hearing confirmation is pretty rough.

It hurts so much to have everything riding on this school and then to have your hope gradually quashed, little by little, day by day. It's so hard to see a path forward or a reason to keep pushing.

Best of luck to those of you who got accepted. If you get stressed out in school, try and remember there are plenty of people who would kill to be in your spot, maybe it'll give perspective or something idk

Reactions: 15 users
People need to stop playing dem games and drop waitlists if they’ve committed. Teasing me over here with movement.

LET THE FLOOD GATES OPEN!

LET THE FLOOD GATES OPEN!

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
If you haven't been verified yet but add a school and a letter of recommendation do you get sent to the back of the verification line?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For adding a school, no.
For adding a letter, yes
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I added a letter but didn't assign it. I would never have done it had I known it would have set back my verification.
the letter hasn't;t been submitted yet. I just printed off the thing and sent it to my letter writer.

I added a letter but didn't assign it. I would never have done it had I known it would have set back my verification.
the letter hasn't;t been submitted yet. I just printed off the thing and sent it to my letter writer.
Do you need the extra letter?

For adding a school, no.
For adding a letter, yes

For adding a letter you do not get sent to the back of verification. There is nothing that changes your position in the verification queue except if your application gets sent back for too many mistakes/discrepancies between classes and transcripts.

If you haven't been verified yet but add a school and a letter of recommendation do you get sent to the back of the verification line?

No. You will remain in the same place in the verification queue until you are either verified or have your application sent back for errors in your coursework.

No. You will remain in the same place in the verification queue until you are either verified or have your application sent back for errors in your coursework.
I was quoting @gonnif from page 11 of the official AMCAS questions thread. If you are still not verified you are cool. If you have already been verified and add a letter your app goes back into the verification line.
“You can assign more later. However, if your file is already marked complete: 1) those letters may not make it to the evaluator or; 2) that will pull your file out of being complete, a new letter will be added and then you may go back to the bottom of the queue”

I was quoting @gonnif from page 11 of the official AMCAS questions thread. If you are still not verified you are cool. If you have already been verified and add a letter your app goes back into the verification line.
“You can assign more later. However, if your file is already marked complete: 1) those letters may not make it to the evaluator or; 2) that will pull your file out of being complete, a new letter will be added and then you may go back to the bottom of the queue”

You should pay more attention to the context of that message. gonnif is talking about SECONDARIES and you being complete at schools, not the primary application and the process of being verified by AMCAS.

This doesn't make any sense - once you're verified (which is them checking your *coursework*) then you're verified. Add/subtracting letters doesn't change that (source: added a letter late myself)

I apologize for the gatekeeping, but let's try to keep this forum pertinent to the 2018-2019 waitlist cycle. If you would like to discuss the 2019-2020 application process/cycle please find/create an appropriate forum.

Reactions: 5 users
You should pay more attention to the context of that message. gonnif is talking about SECONDARIES and you being complete at schools, not the primary application and the process of being verified by AMCAS.
Thanks for all the help to both of you @wysdoc

Let’s just take these questions over to the AMCAS questions thread, everyone

My dude, no one would like the proverbial floodgates to open more than I. But it ain't gonna happen. Best we can do is move on and try not to become cripplingly depressed

Dum Spiro Spero - the fact that I type this today is a testament to the power of hope.

FYI, one can hope AND be afraid of being sad, ashamed, lonely, and hurt - all potential feelings as a result of rejection. But I’ll feel them if I get rejected, not today though. Today is another day for the agony of hope for me.

Reactions: 4 users
@ReturnToMed I was wrong so you have no worries. AMCAS primary verification proceeds separately from AMCAS letters.

I wish my cars score was the number of pages in this thread. lol.

Reactions: 3 users
My waitlist school just sent out a v threatening email to all students accepted/waitlisted saying that they must abide by the CTE waitlist protocols in order to allow others to actually matriculate into the school who deserve it.

I think they’re as angry about the lack of waitlist movement as I am.

Reactions: 5 users
What school?
My waitlist school just sent out a v threatening email to all students accepted/waitlisted saying that they must abide by the CTE waitlist protocols in order to allow others to actually matriculate into the school who deserve it.

I think they’re as angry about the waitlist lack of movement as I am.

Considering schools can see which of their waitlisted applicants are currently PTEd/CTEd, I'd say they're more angry about their own students being poached by other schools. If they were really annoyed by those waitlisted holding an acceptance, then they'd be able to remove them from the waitlist themselves.

It sounds more like there are students who have CTEd that have withdrawn for another acceptance off a waitlist somewhere. Sounds more like the school is angry about having to replace students that were "locked in" or CTEd already.

Reactions: 4 users

So that definitely sounds to me like they don't plan on taking students off the waitlist who have CTE'd elsewhere? Hope yet for those without acceptances!

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the schools are nervous about drawing the short straw - that their students who are still on waitlists will get off somewhere right before school starts and then its a scramble to try to fill the class with little time.

Edit: What seihai said

So right now we are just seeing whether or not schools will poach students?

So right now we are just seeing whether or not schools will poach students?

That's the vibe that I personally get, but I'm in no way privy to Adcom information, so take my answer with like, a pound of salt.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not (unless I dont get in this cycle) but the reason I asked originally is I wanted to offer my help on CARS if anyone is struggling since it was a section I struggled with first time taking and then scored 130 on second time through. PM me if you are interested. I know this isnt relevant to WL but figured I would say something.

I was really hoping that all the July 15th CTE schools would be pulling people off the list today after taking the week to organize their applicants etc, but it doesn't seem like that is happening. I just really want someone from my school to get an A elsewhere so I can take their spot! As each day passes I think this is becoming less and less likely. It is just too rich that the one cycle I ended up on an easily safe WL spot (3rd try for me) was also the one that they decided to change the rules and the movement was halted right when I got to #1. WHYYYYYY? I don't think I could have designed a more excruciating situation. Anybody else in a similar position? I think I'm being punished by the universe for all those times I didn't eject my USB drive before removing it from the computer. :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: 16 users
FAM! Hope is alive!!! ORM re-applicant accepted by IS school this week!!!

• Love
Reactions: 34 users
FAM! Hope is alive!!! ORM re-applicant accepted by IS school this week!!!
OMG congrats!!! Are you just ecstatic or what? You are giving me some hope, tell me that you are declining another offer to stir up some down-line movement?

can you get pulled off the waitlist after classes start? has this ever happened?

can you get pulled off the waitlist after classes start? has this ever happened?

I think it can happen within a reasonable amount of time past the start of classes, I guess people might have a crisis and drop out, or maybe they are poached by a school with a later start date and then the original school needs to fill the spot. Apparently it is relatively common at DO schools because they start earlier and have people drop if they get a late acceptance to MDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.