This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, there was a Reddit post recently about a girl who was assaulted by her interviewer when they ran into eachother at a bar the the night of the interview. If that story was true we know there are some very unethical people that will eventually be our colleagues. Really sad stuff.

I think it’s important to keep in mind that profession and title aren’t necessarily reflective of someone’s character. There are doctors out that there that have done some really horrible things (and some were even in academia).

I’m not saying that all doctors are bad. I’m just saying that the medical field isn’t immune to producing wickedly evil physicians everyone once in a while.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's only to provide data to the school you selected. That's it. Plan to enroll does not insinuate that you've made a commitment. . . just that you have a plan if you don't get a better offer. . . especially after 4/30 and you haven't removed yourself from the WLs.
Yeah, that was my understanding (and what I was told by my school) when I made the selection. I didn't really think about any selectivity because of someone's use of the tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is honestly depressing and distasteful that someone can put such a lie in an LOI and get away with it.

@gyngyn Would a school be allowed to call another school to verify acceptance if a certain student stated in an LOI that they were accepted to said school?
There is nothing to preclude a call if the student has given (even informal) consent.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, not sure if it was already talked about earlier, but is anyone in a situation where the school they plan to enroll at has a super early commit to enroll date but they are also on WLs, thus having to choose whether to pull themselves off the WLs at other schools or give up the one acceptance? I am leaning towards a school that has a commit to enroll date of late May, which is still in the middle of the WL movement timeframe.

Hey, not sure if it was already talked about earlier, but is anyone in a situation where the school they plan to enroll at has a super early commit to enroll date but they are also on WLs, thus having to choose whether to pull themselves off the WLs at other schools or give up the one acceptance? I am leaning towards a school that has a commit to enroll date of late May, which is still in the middle of the WL movement timeframe.
Yeah. Basically you're at a disadvantage for the waitlist but it would be foolish to give up an acceptance to remain on a waitlist longer.

Reactions: 2 users
If I haven’t heard back from my top choice school before WL movement starts on 5/1, would you all recommend sending an update+letter of interest pre-decision? The school encourages updates and is known for waitlisting applicants before accepting them.

Yes! Especially since they welcome it. You should send an update and letter of intent since it is your top choice (with specific reasons for wanting to go to that school). It might give you a better chance of getting off the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
#1: "Starting April 30, the AMCAS tool will identify the applicants making either selection. This applicant-specific information will be visible only to schools where the applicant has a current acceptance or alternate list position." -- choose your medical school info page. They do not know WHERE.

#2: good point! I was only referring to the strategy of holding on to acceptances through the 4/30 deadline
So is alternate list defined differently from waitlist?

Alternate list, Waitlist, list of infinite patience and virtue. All the same thing. I think I read that it was different for maybe one school across the app cycle in that the alt list was regularly reviewed to pull students across the cycle.

Alternate list, Waitlist, list of infinite patience and virtue. All the same thing. I think I read that it was different for maybe one school across the app cycle in that the alt list was regularly reviewed to pull students across the cycle.
Love the third one! We are patient beings (most of the time).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the Matriculation Date is defined with regardless to the allowed Commit to Enroll date? I have a school whose CTE deadline is apparently May 13th--but orientation doesn't start until July 29th.

You mean kind of like Albany’s UC list?

Does anyone know how the Matriculation Date is defined with regardless to the allowed Commit to Enroll date? I have a school whose CTE deadline is apparently May 13th--but orientation doesn't start until July 29th.
My advisor said that school's CTE date could be 3-8 weeks prior to orientation, but in your case it seems to be longer?

Each school can define it however they like, so I would recommend you make yourself a little chart and look up that info for all the schools where you have acceptances or WL spots.

I have no idea how AAMC chooses to enforce this. No doubt they can generate a list of everyone who broke this rule on the morning of 5/1 and send a very angry email to everyone on the list.

By giving schools complete power to rescind acceptance if they cant determine intention to matriculate after April 30 and/or with school specific policy

In addition to any condition included in a school’s offer letter, after April 30, each school may exercise its school-specific procedures to confirm an accepted applicant’s intention to matriculate or to ensure that it fills each seat in its entering class. If a school is unable to confirm an applicant’s intention to matriculate, the school may choose to rescind the acceptance.

But that doesn’t really make sense because someone can send a withdrawal email on the night of 4/30 and the school may not process it for a few days.

Makes perfect sense as you are the one responsible to ensure that every school is aware of your intention no later than April 30th.

By giving schools complete power to rescind acceptance if they cant determine intention to matriculate after April 30 and/or with school specific policy

In addition to any condition included in a school’s offer letter, after April 30, each school may exercise its school-specific procedures to confirm an accepted applicant’s intention to matriculate or to ensure that it fills each seat in its entering class. If a school is unable to confirm an applicant’s intention to matriculate, the school may choose to rescind the acceptance.

What if someone is accepted at 2 schools that don’t require the student to use the choose your school tool? Does that mean that he or she doesn’t have to make a decision by 4/30? Neither school will be aware that one of their students is holding an acceptance at the other school?

I assume that AAMC has a system in place that will detect that the same AAMC ID has suspiciously been holding 2 acceptances past the deadline?

What if someone is accepted at 2 schools that don’t require the student to use the choose your school tool? Does that mean that he or she doesn’t have to make a decision by 4/30? Neither school will be aware that one of their students is holding an acceptance at the other school?

I assume that AAMC has a system in place that will detect that the same AAMC ID has suspiciously been holding 2 acceptances past the deadline?
No one is required to make a decision until schools can implement policies that require the use of the AMCAS "tool" or can come up with a policy outside the "tool."
It won't happen this cycle.

No one is required to make a decision until schools can implement policies that require the use of the AMCAS "tool" or can come up with a policy outside the "tool."
It won't happen this cycle.

So, theoretically, someone can get away with not adhering with the 4/30 deadline :confused:

So, theoretically, someone can get away with not adhering with the 4/30 deadline :confused:]
@ClamShell do you have more than one acceptance? Sometimes you will have to make decisions without having every piece of information you want. I suppose you could try to push the boundaries and see if anyone notices, but it could backfire on you.

Sometimes I feel like God is playing cruel jokes on me cause I’ll literally have dreams of being a med student and then I wake up and remember that I’m not even accepted.

Why Lord, why?

Jesus: "Its cause you're from California"

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Just saw on MSAR that nearly three-quarters of those on Albany’s waitlist offer said “no” to being on the waitlist. I remember reading a post by LizzyM where she said that it’s very common for a waitlist for automatically shoot itself down because people are constantly taking themselves out of the waitlist. I think this is a very comforting thought because we aren’t really competing with THAT many people as it seems.

Just saw on MSAR that nearly three-quarters of those on Albany’s waitlist offer said “no” to being on the waitlist. I remember reading a post by LizzyM where she said that it’s very common for a waitlist for automatically shoot itself down because people are constantly taking themselves out of the waitlist. I think this is a very comforting thought because we aren’t really competing with THAT many people as it seems.

What do you mean “said no to being on the waitlist”?

They mean the same thing.

Amcas might be referring to waitlists when they say alternate list, but I’m not sure. My school has a waitlists and an alternate list that are not the same thing, and I think a few other schools do too. This might be the cause of the discrepancy between the site and what people are hearing from calling or emailing. Perhaps they are using alternate list as a different thing from the waitlist.

Amcas might be referring to waitlists when they say alternate list, but I’m not sure. My school has a waitlists and an alternate list that are not the same thing, and I think a few other schools do too. This might be the cause of the discrepancy between the site and what people are hearing from calling or emailing. Perhaps they are using alternate list as a different thing from the waitlist.
What is the difference between alternate and waitlist in your school?

What is the difference between alternate and waitlist in your school?

The waitlist is for people who have been recommended for acceptance but the seats are full, so they are just waiting for someone to drop out. The alternate list is for applicants they don’t want to outright reject but they think have some sort of deficiency in their application that makes them less desirable. There’s also a hold list between the two that is more like a traditional waitlist

The waitlist is for people who have been recommended for acceptance but the seats are full, so they are just waiting for someone to drop out. The alternate list is for applicants they don’t want to outright reject but they think have some sort of deficiency in their application that makes them less desirable. There’s also a hold list between the two that is more like a traditional waitlist
oh jeez... they dont make it easy, do they :)))

I'm waitlisted at my top choice and its a newer program (University of Kentucky-Bowling Green Campus) and they are only accepting 30 students this year so I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'm also waitlisted at University of Louisville and I think I may have a decent shot there... But at least I have an acceptance to CCOM. Its not my top choice, but out of all DO programs its probably one of the best so I'm grateful for it!

I think we all need to calm down and focus our energy into some Yoga or whatever you enjoy doing in your free time. It is disheartening to watch my fellow applicants suffer trying to figure out the admission process- they are probably just winging it to see what works. A word of advice is to do all that is "suggested" by AMCAS. Nothing else matters. If our wait listed schools see that we have been accepted elsewhere and decide they will choose another applicant without an acceptance, shouldn't that be good thing in the grand scheme of things? And if they can't see it, you or someone else will win either way. Be happy and hope for the best. :)

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I think we all need to calm down and focus our energy into some Yoga or whatever you enjoy doing in your free time. It is disheartening to watch my fellow applicants suffer trying to figure out the admission process- they are probably just winging it to see what works. A word of advice is to do all that is "suggested" by AMCAS. Nothing else matters. If our wait listed schools see that we have been accepted elsewhere and decide they will choose another applicant without an acceptance, shouldn't that be good thing in the grand scheme of things? And if they can't see it, you or someone else will win either way. Be happy and hope for the best. :)

Not that everyone believes this, but I always say, "Do your best and let God do the rest."

Reactions: 8 users
It probably depends on the school, but do you guys think some schools are more inclined to accept people off of the waitlist if they have no other acceptances? (I'm waitlisted at Howard)

I just got the official rejection from my second choice school:

They actually said this:

"We suggest that you carefully evaluation your credentials with the assistance of your premedical advisor. In addition you may wish to refer to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Website.

After obtaining advice from your premedical advisor and self evaluation, you may be able to identify the areas of your application that need improvement. The next step is to strengthen these areas and re-apply."

Literally the most condescending rejection email I've gotten. Meanwhile I'm sitting over here with a 3.98 (entering average 3.6) GPA, 4.0 science GPA, and a 506 MCAT (entering average 510). Plus three years of clinical volunteering, shadowing, and work experience. I don't care that I was rejected... Ive already gotten into a great program, but I just don't understand how they can be so condescending. Instead of saying we wish you luck in your future endeavors like all the other schools this is what they say! Mind blowing!

• Wow
  • Angry

They actually said this:

"We suggest that you carefully evaluation your credentials with the assistance of your premedical advisor. In addition you may wish to refer to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Website.

After obtaining advice from your premedical advisor and self evaluation, you may be able to identify the areas of your application that need improvement. The next step is to strengthen these areas and re-apply."

Literally the most condescending rejection email I've gotten. Meanwhile I'm sitting over here with a 3.98 (entering average 3.6) GPA, 4.0 science GPA, and a 506 MCAT (entering average 510). Plus three years of clinical volunteering, shadowing, and work experience. I don't care that I was rejected... Ive already gotten into a great program, but I just don't understand how they can be so condescending. Instead of saying we wish you luck in your future endeavors like all the other schools this is what they say! Mind blowing!

WOW. I mean, they could just be honestly trying to help you improve. What they said was good advice, but you can't just flat out say it straight up like that. They could have at least rubbed your ego a little first. Your GPA is incredible, and your MCAT is fine. Yes, it's below the mean for their school, but not by much. a 506 is the first score that has a statistically significant difference from a 510 (on the lower side).

WOW. I mean, they could just be honestly trying to help you improve. What they said was good advice, but you can't just flat out say it straight up like that. They could have at least rubbed your ego a little first. Your GPA is incredible, and your MCAT is fine. Yes, it's below the mean for their school, but not by much. a 506 is the first score that has a statistically significant difference from a 510 (on the lower side).
Well, I already got into another great program and I still have a shot at my number 1 choice. I'm currently waitlisted. Ill come back in 2023 as a resident and show them what they lost! :) It just wasn't very helpful information because according to my pre-med advisor and numerous doctors I've worked with, I'm a pretty competitive applicant. But I don't have to sell myself to them. They honestly are a school that has a lot of money and they have always been kind of snobbish. Its in my hometown though, which is why I applied!

About to get hit with my 4th waitlist at arguably one of my best interviews. Meaning my last 4 interviews would have been 2 WL and 2 Rs (one R from a school where I "passed" the interview and was placed on hold before the rejection. Other one I felt the interviewer had it out for me and kept saying passive aggressive comments). Happy I was accepted early in the season cuz as a reapplicant with 2 WL last cycle it would have been rough to be in the same spot this time.

All this not knowing is terrible, and at some point I want to start planning where I am living, etc. Should I plan to drop off the waitlist at some point and just go to one of the DO schools I was accepted to, or should I stay on the waitlist and just wing it whether I get off of it or not? I actually like the DO school and the city, but I feel I would be crazy to pass up an MD degree and less debt if the opportunity came along.

Hey, wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat as you. One DO acceptance at a school I would definitely go to, but it is not my first choice (due to expenses and it is far from home). The MD I got into actually gave me a great waitlist number so until like last week, I was very confident...except this year the waitlist is really not moving at all. Both the schools start in July for me, so my plan rn is to start looking at apartments where the DO school is but not actually get an apartment until the first week of June or so. I know it's kind of pushing it, but my thought process is that DO schools get students coming in super late in the year (like some even a few days before classes start) and they all find a place to live, so I should be able to, too.

They actually said this:

I bet it's a form letter. But it's hard not to take things personally. I remember one I got years ago that made it sound like they thought I should choose a new career.

Reactions: 6 users
I bet it's a form letter. But it's hard not to take things personally. I remember one I got years ago that made it sound like they thought I should choose a new career.
I have a friend who was told during her med school interview that she should consider going into physical therapy instead. She ended up attending that med school, and got one of the highest board scores (at that school) after her second year. She went back to her interviewer and told them to never dissuade an interviewee again because he almost kept her from pursuing her dream.

• Wow
Reactions: 18 users
Agree to the form letter statement. I had the same thought. It is like a way for them to avoid people asking for feedback, but of course, applicants still will reach out.

You have worked very hard and are a great applicant!

I have a friend who was told during her med school interview that she should consider going into physical therapy instead. She ended up attending that med school, and got one of the highest board scores (at that school) after her second year. She went back to her interviewer and told them to never dissuade an interviewee again because he almost kept her from pursuing her dream.
Ill come back as an ortho resident in 2023 and they'll see what they missed lol :)

Ill come back as an ortho resident in 2023 and they'll see what they missed lol :)
Legit what my PI said. He wasnt too happy I didnt even get an interview at our school and he told me to do well (said where I go doesnt matter if you just grind) and apply for residency with an app that will make them jealous you arent one of their students. Then rank them last (I thought it was funny but also very very petty lol)

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email from last school i'm waiting for, waitlist. Currently on 5 waitlist :'(!

• Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.