This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'll join in, on 3 waitlists and waiting for an interview decision from a school that takes months to get back. This waiting is so stressful :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Although do you think it is at all possible for *some* schools to start pulling waitlisted applicants earlier?

Because if a school is accepting fewer students than usual before May 1, then that makes it more likely that the school will have a less than full class before May 1. So why would the school need to wait till May?
How will they know that they need to fill more seats?

Reactions: 1 user
Although do you think it is at all possible for *some* schools to start pulling waitlisted applicants earlier?

Because if a school is accepting fewer students than usual before May 1, then that makes it more likely that the school will have a less than full class before May 1. So why would the school need to wait till May?

I think it depends on the school tbh? For instance, Wayne State SOM is already pulling applicants off the waitlist. I got off the waitlist in December but there has been way more movement this month according to others on the WSU specific thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Applicants Accepted - Applicants Who Have Withdrawn Acceptance) < Class Size at any point in time before May 1
The problem is that applicants have little incentive to withdraw.
Using this equation would get your average (even above average!) admissions officer fired when they are unable to accommodate the massive amount of flux at the end of the cycle. Those holding multiple acceptances will only have the cost of a deposit ( mostly around May 15th) to encourage communication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using this equation would get your average (even above average!) admissions officer fired when they are unable to accommodate the massive amount of flux at the end of the cycle. Those holding multiple acceptances will only have the cost of a deposit ( mostly around May 15th) to encourage communication.

Wait, so applicants don’t have to forfeit all but one acceptance by April 30?

I wouldn’t be too sure about that.

I know more than a few people who have had quite the enjoyment drafting the “I respectfully wish to decline your offer of acceptance” email.

Seems like some sort of dark, twisted, emotional satisfaction.

I know more than a few people who have had quite the enjoyment drafting the “I respectfully wish to decline your offer of acceptance” email.

I can only hope that (whatever the motivation) they are forthcoming this year, if for no other reason, to have mercy on the worthy waitlisted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Wait, so applicants don’t have to forfeit all but one acceptance by April 30?

They do. (Well, technically you can hold onto two acceptances if one of them is USUHS, but that applies to very few people).

I have withdrawn from all but two of my schools. But it provides no benefit to the individual to withdraw before the deadlines. If you view med school acceptances as a non-linear good, then there is benefit to the group as a whole if those with multiple acceptances withdraw earlier, but that same benefit is there if they withdraw when they are required to. The only difference is that some people would get in earlier and have less stress. But the outcome is the same, so the difference is not that great purely from a payoff point of view. The traffic rules ensure the system is played as a non-linear public good cooperative game, so there isn’t much incentive to withdraw early.

I can only hope that (whatever the motivation) they are forthcoming this year. If for no other reason, to have mercy on the worthy waitlisted.

Yeah I have a few friends on waitlists. It is so heartbreaking having to watch them stress out.

They do. (Well, technically you can hold onto two acceptances if one of them is USUHS, but that applies to very few people).

I have withdrawn from all but two of my schools. But it provides no benefit to the individual to withdraw before the deadlines. If you view med school acceptances as a non-linear good, then there is benefit to the group as a whole if those with multiple acceptances withdraw earlier, but that same benefit is there if they withdraw when they are required to. The only difference is that some people would get in earlier and have less stress. But the outcome is the same, so the difference is not that great purely from a payoff point of view. The traffic rules ensure the system is played as a non-linear public good cooperative game, so there isn’t much incentive to withdraw early.

Yeah I have a few friends on waitlists. It is so heartbreaking having to watch them stress out.[/QUOTE
Keep in mind that there are those on WL who have a "two body problem" and while they can accept a WL offer in March or April when their partner can still make choices, they may have less ability to accept a spot off WL In May or later. I urge all of my advisees to release their extra acceptances ASAP. Waiting for financial aid awards is the main legitimate reason for students to hold onto multiple acceptances - the timing of this is out of their control

Last edited:
I can only hope that (whatever the motivation) they are forthcoming this year. If for no other reason, to have mercy on the worthy waitlisted.

It really has been soul wrenching to be waitlisted at the schools I’ve been interview at. But I’ve become so much stronger by living through it and bettering myself despite hanging in the balance. I’ve gained a lot more mental and emotional control from it. For the sincerest time in my life I can now understand how challenges makes us stronger as individuals.

I just got an II at my dream school. This cycle has suddenly COMPLETELY CHANGED for me

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It really has been soul wrenching to be waitlisted at the schools I’ve been interview at. But I’ve become so much stronger by living through it and bettering myself despite hanging in the balance. I’ve gained a lot more mental and emotional control from it. For the sincerest time in my life I can now understand how challenges makes us stronger as individuals.

I completely agree! I remember back in June when I would look through old SDN threads and wonder how in the world people could wait to hear back in March (which isn't even as late as it could be), and I thought I could NEVER make it that long...and here I am just taking it one day at a time, still waiting to hear back. I used to lose sleep over it, but the unknown has become part of my new normal.

Reactions: 1 users
Jumping in here waiting for the WL to move after Feb 19th when people will *hopefully* look at their list and drop some acceptances.

Jumping in here waiting for the WL to move after Feb 19th when people will *hopefully* look at their list and drop some acceptances.
Any particular reason why on "FEB 19th?"
Monday Feb 18th is a national holiday, so I do not expect that much will happen on Monday. Though at one point, I did hear directly from an interviewee that Vandy might be sending out acceptances on that date. And that applicant interviewed on MLK day, so they did not seem to be celebrating the national holidays! But I do think that most ADCOM offices will have the day off on Monday....

Any particular reason why on "FEB 19th?"
Monday Feb 18th is a national holiday, so I do not expect that much will happen on Monday. Though at one point, I did hear directly from an interviewee that Vandy might be sending out acceptances on that date. And that applicant interviewed on MLK day, so they did not seem to be celebrating the national holidays! But I do think that most ADCOM offices will have the day off on Monday....

Feb 19 is the day that the "Plan to Enroll" option becomes available. A couple adcoms I have spoken to expect a small amount of waitlist movement on this day.

Just got another waitlist notification. 2 WL and 1 school I haven't heard back from yet. Waitlist is feeling a lot more like purgatory these days, haha

Reactions: 6 users
I'm sending positive energy out for anyone who is on waitlist(s) without acceptances. I remember how much it sucks and this part of the year is just about the worst since you're basically in limbo until they start giving out acceptances in the spring. Just remember that many, many people have been in your shoes and lived to tell the tale, including many of my best friends in medical school. I'm always available via PM to talk about the waitlist purgatory.

Reactions: 15 users
Just got another waitlist notification. 2 WL and 1 school I haven't heard back from yet. Waitlist is feeling a lot more like purgatory these days, haha
Hahaha . So true - as a proud owner of THREE waitlists I can confirm . Purgatory is where dreams come to die:))))))

Reactions: 2 users
You know what’s the worst thing about being on a waitlist ? Not knowing if you will get in . Like , logistically . My lease expires on March 31, and I really hope I will know something till then,- ideally I want to either be rejected everywhere or to be accepted somewhere . Otherwise I will be in trouble

You know what’s the worst thing about being on a waitlist ? Not knowing if you will get in . Like , logistically . My lease expires on March 31, and I really hope I will know something till then,- ideally I want to either be rejected everywhere or to be accepted somewhere . Otherwise I will be in trouble
Have you asked your landlord about possibly doing a month-to-month given your situation?

Oh they do !!!! But it will cost me 300 more a month and I can’t afford it . I mean , I will HAVE to afford it . But it means that I will be paying 1800 a month in rent

Hmm. What’s your security deposit? Any way you can ask them to take the difference out of there until it runs out?

Hmm. What’s your security deposit? Any way you can ask them to take the difference out of there until it runs out?
No, they won’t let me . They are VERY difficult . I will just have to come up with that money . But hearing from somewhere - hopefully my top choice -soon would help

Hahaha . So true - as a proud owner of THREE waitlists I can confirm . Purgatory is where dreams come to die:))))))

Oh man, I guess we can at least be grateful that they aren't rejections! But it's hard to have perspective when the waiting feels interminable. :/

I got waitlisted at my #1 choice med school. I'm also waiting to hear back from other places I interviewed at. I was wondering when people start planning for a potential gap year. I'm scared that I won't be able to find anything interesting to do if I start planning too late :(

Also, I'm not sure if I should go ahead and start studying for the MCAT again. I got a decent score the first time, but I think I'd have a shot at some top-tier schools if I increased my score by around 5 points.

I got waitlisted at my #1 choice med school. I'm also waiting to hear back from other places I interviewed at. I was wondering when people start planning for a potential gap year. I'm scared that I won't be able to find anything interesting to do if I start planning too late :(

Also, I'm not sure if I should go ahead and start studying for the MCAT again. I got a decent score the first time, but I think I'd have a shot at some top-tier schools if I increased my score by around 5 points.
What’s your current score? I was in a similar position 2 years ago and set aside two months during the summer to study full time and retake the MCAT. I’ve had a successful app cycle this year. I didn’t need to plan for a gap year, though, as I just stayed at my current job and used my savings from work to be able to afford a 2 month break to study. Feel free to PM with any questions and hang in there!

At this point, it makes sense to wait a couple more weeks before you outright panic - by then, all of your schools should have sent out most of their acceptances, and you may learn if you are WL at more schools, and you might even get information about your priority status on any WLs.

You can start to think about your "parallel plan" - you always need to be thinking about your next move in life and anticipate your options. Would you move back "home"? Stay in your college town and continue EC's and research? Move somewhere new entirely? Your college may have a career office that can help you with finding job opportunities, including research jobs. And if you have any relationships with research faculty at your school, in a couple of weeks, if need be, you can start to ask them about contacts they may have who may be hiring due to new grant funding, etc. It can be hard to find gap year jobs that are interesting to you, build your skills and your resume, and pay the bills. And keep in mind that you might need to consider 2 gap years, as you will unlikely improve your application much by June 1, 2019.

As for retaking MCAT, what is your score? How long did you dedicate for studying the first time? If by decent, you mean 516, do not retake. If you mean 505, then maybe a 510 might help a bit. But remember, most schools average the scores and getting to 507.5 not a big enough jump. If you did not have time to adequately prepare the first time, you might consider retaking, especially if you skip next cycle and only if you are pretty confident that you can get significantly higher with adequate preparation. If you adequately prepared the first time, then it is unlikely you will get a high enough bump in your score to make this worth your while.

Sorry to hear that. But there will be movement over the next several months. You’re not out yet.

And really you should probably plan for a gap year from the beginning since only ~40% of people get accepted.

What’s your MCAT? A 5 point increase is really only a point higher than what would be a statistically significant difference. And as the wannabe said, the majority of schools average.

As for retaking MCAT, what is your score? How long did you dedicate for studying the first time? If by decent, you mean 516, do not retake. If you mean 505, then maybe a 510 might help a bit. But remember, most schools average the scores and getting to 507.5 not a big enough jump. If you did not have time to adequately prepare the first time, you might consider retaking, especially if you skip next cycle and only if you are pretty confident that you can get significantly higher with adequate preparation. If you adequately prepared the first time, then it is unlikely you will get a high enough bump in your score to make this worth your while.

This addresses a question I've had concerning retaking the MCAT. I got a 505 my first time, so if I'm wanting to attend schools that have an average MCAT of 505-507, would taking the MCAT again and getting ~510 make a significant difference for my app? I'm not entirely sure what score I'm capable of getting, but I certainly didn't give the MCAT nearly enough love and attention the first time around.

This addresses a question I've had concerning retaking the MCAT. I got a 505 my first time, so if I'm wanting to attend schools that have an average MCAT of 505-507, would taking the MCAT again and getting ~510 make a significant difference for my app? I'm not entirely sure what score I'm capable of getting, but I certainly didn't give the MCAT nearly enough love and attention the first time around.

If you have a 505, you are target for schools with a 505-507. Those are not statistically significantly different scores. It would not be your MCAT keeping you out.

A brief two cents: after a few months of just waiting with nothing happening, I started finally just treating it as if it was not going to happen. I arranged for a job following my graduation, took care of housing and such as best I could at the time, and otherwise made plans to proceed as if I was going to be rejected everywhere. As depressing as this was, it was also very helpful in many ways. One of the worst parts of the whole thing was that horrible uncertainty. What will I do? Where will I live? What comes next? And of course this was compounded by the constant questions from everyone! I found that having an actual concrete plan, as significantly less preferable than it was, painted a clearer picture of the road ahead and what exactly needed to be done.

I do not think that it makes sense to expend your resources to TRY to get a 510 this time around. (There are people who do a retake and just, due to bad luck of the questions that day, get a lower score, even though they had been testing higher on practice tests).

Your score of 505 is not going to keep you from getting into the schools you are currently targeting. Of course, your MCAT in their range does not guarantee you II at these schools either. Just do your best to improve the things in your app that you can control at this point.

I do not think that it makes sense to expend your resources to TRY to get a 510 this time around. (There are people who do a retake and just, due to bad luck of the questions that day, get a lower score, even though they had been testing higher on practice tests).

Your score of 505 is not going to keep you from getting into the schools you are currently targeting. Of course, your MCAT in their range does not guarantee you II at these schools either. Just do your best to improve the things in your app that you can control at this point.

I'm not sure I totally understand what you're getting at. Are you meaning to say that if I do expend the time and energy to retake the MCAT, that I should be aiming for a higher score than 510? If that's the case, I can certainly do that, but I thought a 510 would be a reasonable score to aim for given my history with the MCAT. Additionally, I had an interviewer tell me that if I don't get accepted to his school, the first thing he'll look at on my re-app is a higher MCAT score since he felt my score was on the low end for his school (average MCAT 507).

I'm not sure I totally understand what you're getting at. Are you meaning to say that if I do expend the time and energy to retake the MCAT, that I should be aiming for a higher score than 510? If that's the case, I can certainly do that, but I thought a 510 would be a reasonable score to aim for given my history with the MCAT. Additionally, I had an interviewer tell me that if I don't get accepted to his school, the first thing he'll look at on my re-app is a higher MCAT score since he felt my score was on the low end for his school (average MCAT 507).
My point was that since most schools average your attempts, it only makes sense to do a retake if you can get a high enough score, with averaging, to make a difference. With a 505 and then a 510 - that only makes a 507.5, which is not different from a 505, in most people's minds.

For someone who just did not have time to study the first time, or who got really sick etc, but usually does well on standardized tests, it might make some sense to do a retake. But if you were someone who really studied hard for 3 months non-stop, I do not think it would make any sense to retake it. So my answer is that it depends on your circumstances.

I usually only consider the better of two MCAT attempts myself once I have an interviewee in front of me. But that is for people who are screened in at my school to receive an interview. The screeners may be averaging MCAT attempts....

My point was that since most schools average your attempts, it only makes sense to do a retake if you can get a high enough score, with averaging, to make a difference. With a 505 and then a 510 - that only makes a 507.5, which is not different from a 505, in most people's minds.

For someone who just did not have time to study the first time, or who got really sick etc, but usually does well on standardized tests, it might make some sense to do a retake. But if you were someone who really studied hard for 3 months non-stop, I do not think it would make any sense to retake it. So my answer is that it depends on your circumstances.

I usually only consider the better of two MCAT attempts myself once I have an interviewee in front of me. But that is for people who are screened in at my school to receive an interview. The screeners may be averaging MCAT attempts....

I see what you mean now. I did not have enough time to study the first time around, so I believe I fall into the category of individuals who would benefit from a retake. Thanks for the insight!

I see what you mean now. I did not have enough time to study the first time around, so I believe I fall into the category of individuals who would benefit from a retake. Thanks for the insight!

If you’re not seeing improvement close to your retake date, you should pull out. It does not look good to retake and score around the same.

Anyone have experience writting a LOI? Anyone willing to lookover my LOI? Thanks!

So if you send an update letter to schools you were wait listed at in January, when would be the best time to send further LoIntent or LoInterests.

So if you send an update letter to schools you were wait listed at in January, when would be the best time to send further LoIntent or LoInterests.
I asked adcoms at the school I was writting a LOI and they said the sooner the better.

Does an LOIntent/Interest make a difference for a school that discloses one's position on the waitlist?

Oh man, I guess we can at least be grateful that they aren't rejections! But it's hard to have perspective when the waiting feels interminable. :/

Yes it is so hard to have perspective. Joining in the conversation. Not yet heard back from Adcom for over 3 months after interview, I assumed I am already waitlisted. Learning a lot from this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.