Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I was just rejected from one of the schools I was waitlisted at... Only one waitlist remains, hoping and praying I get in. If not I'll be attending a DO school this cycle.
Man that stinks. What school was it that just rejected? And which school are you waiting to hear back from?

Currently I am waiting to hear back from 3 MD schools. If I dont get in, I'll be going to CCOM

May 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Harvard's CTE deadline is in early June. Do you guys think that that will jumpstart WL movement, since if Harvard has vacancies after their CTE deadline they'll start admitting people off of their WL who might hold acceptances at other schools and that'll trickle down? @gyngyn
This would only really apply to the top schools. And since Harvard has such a high yield and low waitlist movement anyway, I doubt it will make much of a difference.

Reactions: ZFox and gyngyn

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Would you say that residents do not contribute to a hospital’s revenue? I understanding there must be a supervising physician but isn’t more residents = more patients served ? Or do I have it wrong
We are continually told by accountants at our main teaching hospital that the elimination of residents would lead to a cheaper and more efficient system.

mr.blamf

blamf
Nov 5, 2018
@gyngyn So your school's proportion of admitted students who are PTE, CTE, or neither is essentially unchanged as compared to 2 weeks ago? Or are you and other schools starting to see some progress?

What do you think those students holding onto multiple acceptances are waiting for?

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
If everyone is so competitive as they say in rejection emails, and there is a physician shortage in the field, what’s holding back from accepting more? Each new student will bring the revenue needed for additional costs. I guess at the end of the day it’s doctors that decide how many new doctors will enter the healthcare system. Protecting the prestigiousness of the profession? I find this whole concept ironic.
The rate limiting step to produce physicians is not the number of medical students, rather the number of residency slots.

At most US MD schools, the school loses money on medical students. Their education is subsidized by research grants and in-kind contributions from teaching faculty.

At no point in the day do doctors decide how many doctors enter the system. It is decided by Congress (mostly).

The prestige of the profession is protected by the provision of compassionate, expert care that doesn't bankrupt the patient.

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn So your school's proportion of admitted students who are PTE, CTE, or neither is essentially unchanged as compared to 2 weeks ago? Or are you and other schools starting to see some progress?

What do you think those students holding onto multiple acceptances are waiting for?
That's what I'm saying.

Dec 26, 2018
The prestige of the profession is protected by the provision of compassionate expert care that doesn't bankrupt the patient.

My roommates dad's bill was 200,000 for a CABG. The cost of the bill can range significantly with even the city system. (Regulatory problems) Problems with drug companies driving up costs and physicians co-opting it by assigning said drugs (even if there are cheaper alternatives.) We are taking steps in transparency of costs, but still far from where we need to be. I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this. Especially when we have an administration that is currently censoring info about ACA (another debate in itself, but it has helped many) on important health related we sites. But that gets political, which many doctors/hopefuls avoid like the plague.

Reactions: StanleyYelnats

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
View attachment 262941

My roommates dad's bill was 200,000 for a CABG. The cost of the bill can range significantly with even the same system. We are taking steps in transparency of costs, but still far from where we need to be. I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this. Especially when we have an administration that is currently censoring info about ACA (another debate in itself, but it has helped many) on important health related we sites. But that gets political, which many doctors/hopefuls avoid like the plague.
As long as doctors are held responsible (rightly or wrongly) for the cost of care in a "system" that does what you have described, our "prestige" will suffer.
In other words, I believe we are in agreement.

Jan 12, 2019
We are continually told by accountants at our main teaching hospital that the elimination of residents would lead to a cheaper and more efficient system.
How are residents inefficient? Is it because they require a lot of guidance/make too many mistakes?

Apr 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
How about any insights on UCD?

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician

PB&

Jun 21, 2018
Any insights on whether UCSF is moving normally? Seems to be the case on the thread.

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
How are residents inefficient? Is it because they require a lot of guidance/make too many mistakes?
Learning curves must be accommodated. Attending time is expensive. Residents can see a relatively small number of patients safely. Their thinking, writing, physical exam findings, lab result interpretation and procedural skills must be continuously observed and reviewed. Even at the point where they start to become more independent, they have to supervise the juniors, too!

Last edited:

schborke

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
This has been an extremely frustrating waitlist process.
just want to say its pretty incredible you take the time to reply to all of us. I know I appreciate it a lot. There are so many valid questions I see posted here where we all kind of shrug at eachother its good to have some input from someone who knows what they are talking about.

medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
That may be true but for those who are doing it, its unfair and unethical. Its just bothersome because every single one of has worked hard and now its not a level playing field because some people are too selfish to care.
To be fair though, very little about this process happens on a ‘level field’
Did anyone else feel like once they started working on all the tasks for applying next year it felt a little like admitting defeat?
Yes. The hardest part was going back to my reccomenders and asking them for an updated LOR. I’ll never forget the looks of disappointment on their faces
I hear that you can message committees to find our what was wrong with your application. Is that looked poorly vs well upon? Do you get direct/specific answers, or (in general as I'm sure each school may be different) are they more general with nothing of merit?
It’s hit or miss, especially if you’re on a WL. When I called last June/July all my WL schools told me they couldn’t tell me anything cause my file was still active. The rejection schools didn’t bother to respond

Feb 28, 2019
@gyngyn

Do you believe that students with earlier CTE deadlines will be out of luck this cycle?

Do you recommend or recommend against remaining on school's waitlists after CTE?

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Do you believe that students with earlier CTE deadlines will be out of luck this cycle?

Do you recommend or recommend against remaining on school's waitlists after CTE?
Yes.
I would follow the rules of the school that has accepted you.
The abolition of the multiple accepts list has reduced applicant autonomy and I don't see a way round it.

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I had some email correspondence with my one waitlist school (albany) which was a bit concerning. They basically said "we won't tell you where we are on the waitlist, but we believe we'll be finished moving by June, maaaaybe July." So it sounds like they are not expecting more movement than in the past.
They don't have a clue.
If they turn out to be right, it will be a pure accident.

Feb 28, 2019
I would follow the rules of the school that has accepted you.
The abolition of the multiple accepts list has reduced applicant autonomy and I don't see a way round it.

So... a school with a late matriculation (August) and an unfilled spot would have the following options

a) Student with zero acceptances
b) Ignore a withdrawal from waitlist (Assuming it was due to CTE deadline and not lack of interest)
c) Student with CTE, but has remained on WL's
d) Student with PTE and even later CTE (Unlikely)

Would options b or c even really be considered this cycle?

Last edited:

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
So... a school with a late matriculation (August) and an unfilled spot would have the following options

a) Student with zero acceptances
b) Ignore a withdrawal from waitlist (Assuming it was due to CTE deadline and not lack of interest)
c) Student with CTE, but has remained on WL's
c) Student with PTE and even later CTE (Unlikely)

Would options b or c even really be considered this cycle?
All of these are possible.
B is the most interesting. What will mean more? CTE or LOI...

Reactions: ZFox
Mar 27, 2019
One of my theories is that wl movement in past was essentially just a greater and quicker amount of shuffling due to greater acceptances going around. If schools generally accept less this cycle along with the stagnant wl, applicants may have less options than before (less shuffling and movement), more likely to settle into their pte school, and less movement overall. In essence raising the yield of schools. Of course things are more complicated and I don't have the experience of previous cycles, but plausible?

Reactions: ivva5363
Oct 8, 2018
I am curious to know what a lawsuit would look like for setting hard PTE or CTE deadlines? AMCAS?

Anyone with an idea? I can’t think of a lawsuit here.

Holding schools and students accountable is necessary for this process to work smoothly. Giving students/applicants hard deadlines and giving schools a deadline to process financial aid so as to give everyone the chance to make informed decisions. It really shouldn’t be this hard.

Reactions: StanleyYelnats

medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
Do they have to update their letters if they are only one year old?
Apparently but I have no idea if that changed this cycle or not. My premed advisor said that they can’t be the same letter according to the advisor guide book and I would have to get modified ones

• Sad
Reactions: ivva5363

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Holding schools and students accountable is necessary for this process to work smoothly. Giving students/applicants hard deadlines and giving schools a deadline to process financial aid so as to give everyone the chance to make informed decisions. It really shouldn’t be this hard.
This was the previous role of the AAMC. They have abdicated this responsibility.
...and who will hold them accountable now? They do not care what we say and applicants are not an organized block.

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Man that stinks. What school was it that just rejected? And which school are you waiting to hear back from?

Currently I am waiting to hear back from 3 MD schools. If I dont get in, I'll be going to CCOM
Wait, as in Carver at Iowa? I'm currently number 2 on the waitlist there so I'm rooting for you even more if that's the case!

Feb 28, 2019
All of these are possible.
B is the most interesting. What will mean more? CTE or LOI...
Fun Hypothetical building on your comment:

You (An ADCOM member) prefer applicant X over applicant Y. Applicant X sent a letter of intent, biweekly updates, additional letter of rec, and etc but withdrew from the WL because of his current PTE school's CTE deadline. Applicant Y has shown less interest and is a somewhat weaker candidate, but has zero acceptances. Both Applicant X and Y adequately "fill" the empty spot left by applicant Z in terms of mcat, gpa, and diversity.

Would Applicant X need to be in someway significantly stronger in order for you to accept him/her over applicant y? Or is applicant Y, by pure luck, just going to receive the acceptance out of professional courtesy to Applicant X's CTE school?

Feb 14, 2019
Fun Hypothetical building on your comment:

You (An ADCOM member) prefer applicant X over applicant Y. Applicant X sent a letter of intent, biweekly updates, additional letter of rec, and etc but withdrew from the WL because of his current PTE school's CTE deadline. Applicant Y has shown less interest and is a somewhat weaker candidate, but has zero acceptances. Both Applicant X and Y adequately "fill" the empty spot left by applicant Z in terms of mcat, gpa, and diversity.

Would Applicant X need to be in someway significantly stronger in order for you to accept him/her over applicant y? Or is applicant Y, by pure luck, just going to receive the acceptance out of professional courtesy to Applicant X's CTE school?
Applicant X is no longer on the WL so I’m not accepting them. I pick applicant Y. No applicant is such a superstar that I‘m still holding on even after they say no to our school