This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if our school is representative of others.
Hmm, can we know it anyway, for science purposes? I promise it’s not only because I’m on the waitlist for a certain school in California!*

*Ok maybe it’s because of this

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So you can hold multiple acceptances still? I currently hold 2 because I was accepted off the WL last week and was waiting for financial aid info to be released. Im trying to see if school 1 can match the finaid at school 2. But I havent heard back and I dont want anything to happen to either acceptance.
Technically per amcas rules you should only have one acceptance right now. But this hasn’t been enforced and the med schools know this otherwise they wouldn’t be dragging their feet with financial aid. If you want to light a fire under their ass I would tell the school with the later CTE when the earlier CTE is so they can get you financial aid before that date. If that makes sense.

So you can hold multiple acceptances still? I currently hold 2 because I was accepted off the WL last week and was waiting for financial aid info to be released. Im trying to see if school 1 can match the finaid at school 2. But I havent heard back and I dont want anything to happen to either acceptance.
5 business days is the standard so you might not get all the FA info before you have to choose. Don’t blow your own chances by dithering around.

Members don't see this ad :)

You'll have to check with your schools to see what their rules are about this. Should be clear in the acceptance email (though not always).

You'll have to check with your schools to see what their rules are about this. Should be clear in the acceptance email (though not always).
The acceptance says within 7 days to pay the deposit. Which I did. But doesnt say anything about withdrawing from other schools within that 7 days which is the confusing part. And today is day 7 and I havent heard anything.

@gyngyn What does a waitlist committee meeting generally look like?
Some committees meet at intervals to consider the order in which students are accepted.
Other committees enumerate the order of acceptance and do not meet again until another batch is needed.
Others give instructions on various contingencies and only meet again as needed. For example they might say, "if we have 20 more men than women, take the following 20 women before going to this (other) list.
There are many variations on the above that have to do with how priorities change based on the evolution of class characteristics.

Reactions: 3 users
Hmm, can we know it anyway, for science purposes? I promise it’s not only because I’m on the waitlist for a certain school in California!*

*Ok maybe it’s because of this
About a dozen are holding more than one acceptance.
The real problem is that the PTE and CTE groups are about even. How would you interpret that?

The real problem is that the PTE and CTE groups are about even. How would you interpret that?

And you don’t know the identities of those dozen students, correct?

Otherwise, I’d assume you rescind their acceptance. Maybe I’m wrong though

Technically per amcas rules you should only have one acceptance right now. But this hasn’t been enforced and the med schools know this otherwise they wouldn’t be dragging their feet with financial aid. If you want to light a fire under their ass I would tell the school with the later CTE when the earlier CTE is so they can get you financial aid before that date. If that makes sense.

It’s not a rule anymore. It’s a guideline that schools can choose to enforce or not.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would assume that most of the PTE is exactly like us because we they want to get off the waitlist somewhere. So more than likely they would be coming to school, considering waitlist movement is less common before the CTE date?

I would assume that most of the PTE is exactly like us because we they want to get off the waitlist somewhere. So more than likely they would be coming to school, considering waitlist movement is less common before the CTE date?
Who knows...

Reactions: 1 users
And you don’t know the identities of those dozen students, correct?

Otherwise, I’d assume you rescind their acceptance. Maybe I’m wrong though
Correct.
Maybe we would...if we only knew who they were.
Or maybe we would give them an incentive.

Correct.

An undergrad teacher of mine used to use the following psychological method to get students to confess:

"I have a list of all of the students that plagiarized. If you don't send me an email by 5 PM today admitting your guilt and divulging all of the gory details, you will receive an F in the course. I have caught 30 students so far and most of them have not yet been informed."

He actually did have a very good quantitative method of catching cheaters, but needless to say, he caught an additional 25 people by the end of the day via confession.

Point being.... maybe adcoms, such as yourself, could issue vague, unenforceable threats to get compliance. Not many people understand this new system and even fewer students would be willing to gamble. Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Well yet another day goes by without a phone call. On 3 waitlists and movement has either been slow or none at all. Feeling down :/

• Sad
Reactions: 25 users
Point being.... maybe adcoms, such as yourself, could issue vague, unenforceable threats to get compliance. Not many people understand this new system and even fewer students would be willing to gamble. Lol

Probably an incentive. I received a phone call with a scholarship offer only after a school noticed I switched my PTE.

Or both... I’d be happy with anything that would hurry/encourage movement before my CTE deadline

Beefed up ps and w/a. Contacted half my lor writers to go again. Printed transcript forms. Revamped my school list. Thinking about secondaries. Signed up for casper. The wl seems like a drought. It would be a shame if I couldn't utilize my upgraded application. I wish it was as polished last cycle and I have some partial regrets about some of my answers. Still can be improved a lot I'm sure.

I'm going to call it a win win now. I've set myself up to be excited about the new cycle yet ready to be relieved of it because I'm happy with my few relatively silent Waitlist schools. Probably going to look into fitting in some hospital volunteering but it might seem last minute. The only issue with the last minute move would be some things with managing care for some of my adult dependents.

Reactions: 15 users
Beefed up ps and w/a. Contacted half my lor writers to go again. Printed transcript forms. Revamped my school list. Thinking about secondaries. Signed up for casper. The wl seems like a drought. It would be a shame if I couldn't utilize my upgraded application. I wish it was as polished last cycle and I have some partial regrets about some of my answers. Still can be improved a lot I'm sure.

I'm going to call it a win win now. I've set myself up to be excited about the new cycle yet ready to be relieved of it because I'm happy with my few relatively silent Waitlist schools. Probably going to look into fitting in some hospital volunteering but it might seem last minute. The only issue with the last minute move would be some things with managing care for some of my adult dependents.
I am doing the same. In fact, I am studying to retake the MCAT as I was informed by my top choice that it was the ONLY thing holding my application back....in fact, the admissions rep told me my interview feedback was next to the best...but my MCAT sucked lol. I am not opposed to another year of waiting, I am opposed to another year of paying for everything to apply.

Reactions: 4 users
I am doing the same. In fact, I am studying to retake the MCAT as I was informed by my top choice that it was the ONLY thing holding my application back....in fact, the admissions rep told me my interview feedback was next to the best...but my MCAT sucked lol. I am not opposed to another year of waiting, I am opposed to another year of paying for everything to apply.
What was your score if you don’t mind me asking?

Was finally accepted off the waitlist this morning!! So appreciative of this thread, it has been a long cycle

• Love
Reactions: 50 users

Same, and suffering through opening up those MCAT books again :cautious:

Hmm, I would interpret the PTE students as those who are waiting on waitlists at schools they would rather go to, and the CTE as students who are for sure going to matriculate. I guess that makes it difficult for the adcoms then—no guarantee how many of the PTE students will actually matriculate at your school. If the number of CTE + PTE students is greater than your typical class size, then that is definitely worrisome (for the school and for us hopefuls on the waitlist).

Anybody have some good understanding on the MSAR system? What does the "Matriculation Data for First Year Class" exactly explain? It says a certain number that are matriculated, but is that just an average number of people? Or is the verified applications, interviewed, and matriculated for the current year? I'm pretty sure it's not that latter, but just want to be sure!

Anybody have some good understanding on the MSAR system? What does the "Matriculation Data for First Year Class" exactly explain? It says a certain number that are matriculated, but is that just an average number of people? Or is the verified applications, interviewed, and matriculated for the current year? I'm pretty sure it's not that latter, but just want to be sure!
It is verified data

lehrrnhlrgy21.png

• Sad
Reactions: 23 users
Correct.

Are you sure you cannot know who they are? Why does AAMC say that you can run a report after 4/30 that identifies them????

@gyngyn Are AdComs able to see whether students who have chosen CTE have withdrawn from all waitlists? My friend's CTE deadline is coming up and he wants to CTE without withdrawing from all other WLs (but has already withdrawn all other acceptances) but I don't think that's a good idea because he'll get rescinded

@gyngyn Are AdComs able to see whether students who have chosen CTE have withdrawn from all waitlists? My friend's CTE deadline is coming up and he wants to CTE without withdrawing from all other WLs (but has already withdrawn all other acceptances) but I don't think that's a good idea because he'll get rescinded
I heard your "friend" may be spanked with a stick if he pulls that type of shenanigan. It's not really a commitment to enroll if he's not committing to 100 pct go there is it?

More evidence that the problem is not AAMC or the medical schools, it’s just the applicants.

Reactions: 10 users
seeing this thread become progressively less active is worrisome- it's just like how the school specific threads slowly die out when they're done being relevant for the year :sleep:

Reactions: 21 users
seeing this thread become progressively less active is worrisome- it's just like how the school specific threads slowly die out when they're done being relevant for the year :sleep:
yeah. starting to get worried too. but also I think people have learned the info they needed and left or got their A so don't post anymore.

I’ve been lurking on this thread for awhile, currently holding one acceptance and on 2 waitlists. Wanted to share that the school I am accepted to reached out to me about not selecting PTE despite having no policy to select it. So I guess schools are starting to act on this stalemate.

Reactions: 5 users
Are you sure you cannot know who they are? Why does AAMC say that you can run a report after 4/30 that identifies them????

View attachment 263099
All we can see is PTE, CTE, no decision and no.
We are notified by email when a student has CTE'd at another school. We never see which school. It could be a great school or a so so school.

More evidence that the problem is not AAMC or the medical schools, it’s just the applicants.

If the school made CTE a requirement and wants their students to withdraw all other WL the student absolutely should. Other than that, I think it's remiss to blame it on applicants for not following unenforced suggestions. Everyone applying simply wants to attend the best medical school for themselves. Not sure blame should go to people waiting to hear back from schools they've invested in this cycle if they aren't breaking an actual rule. Also, PTE/CTE is new. I think we need to extend some grace as everyone figures it out.

The schools cannot see. The AAMC can see.

Reactions: 5 users
All we can see is PTE, CTE, no decision and no.
We are notified by email when a student has CTE'd at another school. We never see which school. It could be a great school or a so so school.

Thanks for replying so quickly!! I realized that you had no visibility into which schools (that was the whole point of eliminating the MAR), but it looks like you SHOULD be able to see which of your accepted and wait listed applicants have chosen PTE or CTE at both your school and other, anonymous schools, by running a "detailed report," separate and apart from the e-mail you receive. That should allow you to identify which of your dozen holding more than one acceptance are doing so, unless the applicants holding the multiple acceptances haven't had to select either PTE or CTE (in which case you wouldn't know they exist at all!).

Are there really a significant number of schools that are allowing accepted students to not make any selection on the CYMS tool until 3 weeks before classes start? That does nothing for the schools other than keep them in the dark, with no idea who is actually coming (other than those who voluntarily select CTE early), and is therefore arguably a self-inflicted wound. Once an applicant has selected PTE (or CTE) at multiple schools, he or she runs the risk of losing both acceptances at this point in the cycle, assuming the AAMC table I posted earlier is accurate and you can actually run a report and identify the offenders. If not, then there is no enforcement whatsoever, and this is going to continue to be a mess going forward until an enforcement mechanism is implemented to allow schools to hold applicants to their requirements.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying so quickly!! I realized that you had no visibility into which schools (that was the whole point of eliminating the MAR), but it looks like you SHOULD be able to see which of your accepted and wait listed applicants have chosen PTE or CTE at both your school and other, anonymous schools, by running a "detailed report," separate and apart from the e-mail you receive. That should allow you to identify which of your dozen holding more than one acceptance are doing so, unless the applicants holding the multiple acceptances haven't had to select either PTE or CTE (in which case you wouldn't know they exist at all!).

Are there really a significant number of schools that are allowing accepted students to not make any selection on the CYMS tool until 3 weeks before classes start? That does nothing for the schools other than keep them in the dark, with no idea who is actually coming (other than those who voluntarily select CTE early), and is therefore arguably a self-inflicted wound. Once an applicant has selected PTE (or CTE) at multiple schools, he or she runs the risk of losing both acceptances at this point in the cycle, assuming the AAMC table I posted earlier is accurate and you can actually run a report and identify the offenders. If not, then there is no enforcement whatsoever, and this is going to continue to be a mess going forward until an enforcement mechanism is implemented to allow schools hold applicants to their requirements.
Yes (to bolded).
I can only see how many accepted students are holding other acceptances. I can't see who they are.
Only the AAMC can tell who they are. They have told us that they will send "gentle reminders" to them.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Yes (to bolded).
I can only see how many accepted students are holding other acceptances. I can't see who they are.
Only the AAMC can tell who they are. They have told us that they will send "gentle reminders" to them.

Including those dozen students, is your class overenrolled at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.