Mar 27, 2019
Applicant X is no longer on the WL so I’m not accepting them. I pick applicant Y. No applicant is such a superstar that I‘m still holding on even after they say no to our school
They didn't say no to the school though. They have shown much greater interest and candidacy but had an earlier CTE date.

Reactions: ZFox
Oct 8, 2018
This was the previous role of the AAMC. They have abdicated this responsibility.
...and who will hold them accountable now? They do not care what we say and applicants are not an organized block.
I agree. As a united front, we can get things accomplished but we all know there will be those waiting to put their foot in the door despite universal upset.

I just think for example:
(A) A FAFSA deadline for applicants to submit similar to or a week after secondary applications are due- or a universal October 15 deadline.
(B) Continue to accept students on or after October 15.
(C) Introduce PTE and CTE February 15th- people choose whichever cap fits
(D) Financial Aid deadline for schools April 30
(E) May 15 select one school and wrap up the cycle.

Everybody gets peace for the summer months to come. :whistle:

Last edited:

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Fun Hypothetical building on your comment:

You (An ADCOM member) prefer applicant X over applicant Y. Applicant X sent a letter of intent, biweekly updates, additional letter of rec, and etc but withdrew from the WL because of his current PTE school's CTE deadline. Applicant Y has shown less interest and is a somewhat weaker candidate, but has zero acceptances. Both Applicant X and Y adequately "fill" the empty spot left by applicant Z in terms of mcat, gpa, and diversity.

Would Applicant X need to be in someway significantly stronger in order for you to accept him/her over applicant y? Or is applicant Y, by pure luck, just going to receive the acceptance out of professional courtesy to Applicant X's CTE school?
I still don't know how much we, as schools, can be expected to follow the "guidelines" set up by the AAMC that only serve...the AAMC.
Right now, I'm feeling like applicant X should be accepted.

Dec 26, 2018
This was the previous role of the AAMC. They have abdicated this responsibility.
...and who will hold them accountable now? They do not care what we say and applicants are not an organized block.
I blame early admissions programs for messing this up for us. (Was there any news on this case?) This process should be becoming more streamlined, not less. Now that you have all seen the new way this process is run... Is there a potential fix to this?

The only answer I could see from my end would be moving up several deadlines (Financial Aid for sure), and incentivizing schools for compliance. (A deal that you can't deny. Universal compliance would be the goal and a necessity.) All the snatching shenanigans would be done sooner, and final WL movement would be finalized sooner so students know if they need to reapply and aren't sitting in purgatory for so long. Schools also wouldn't be concerned about not having a filled class on later days. Example, say everything was done for the prior cycle by middle of May before the next cycle began. People wouldn't still be getting interviews even now. (I saw some guy on Reddit posted a pic of receiving an interview X2 weeks ago. That's late, man.) That's the quick and easy answer, but we all know complex problems don't have simple answers. I know borderline candidates may get shafted because of rushed decisions. Strain on school's resources etc.

I still don't know how much we, as schools, can be expected to follow the "guidelines" set up by the AAMC that only serve...the AAMC.
Right now, I'm feeling like applicant X should be accepted.
I know, "life's not fair." But I'm sure most can agree this is something fixed on your end. That's an unfortunate case, and we can clearly tell who wanted it more. I would advocate for X, if I had a say. It's not reasonable to expect all schools to "work with applicants" who have similae situations. Cause I'm sure there will be quite a few.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical, Pre-Psychology
Does anyone know if Northwestern’s CTE already happened? I see on the website that they had to make some sort of commitment on April 30th, but I can’t tell if it’s CTE or PTE. If it’s CTE that’s prettt early, right?

Sep 13, 2018
Oh boy. Okay I think I can tackle this from what I've read.

If school A accepts you before their own CTE deadline, you're golden. You take that acceptance, and CTE to school A. No harm, no foul.

If school A accepts you off their waitlist AFTER their own CTE deadline but BEFORE the CTE deadline of school B, you're also golden. Again, you CTE to school A.

For the more complicated scenarios: Theoretically, if you CTE to school B, you must withdraw your waitlists. Nobody is enforcing this but the schools, however. So if you decide to CTE to school B without removing yourself from the waitlist at school A, it's entirely possible that school B will just rescind your acceptance. School A will see that you CTE'd.

However, we're not entirely sure what's going to happen here. It looks like "poaching" might be a problem this cycle: where a school will offer you an acceptance with the explicit intention of taking you away from another school that you've committed to, so that they can fill their own classes.
Thank you so much!! I feel very lucky that my waitlisted school has an earlier CTE date. Good luck to everyone out there still waiting!

Reactions: PB& and ivva5363
Sep 13, 2018
You technically shouldn't even have the option of going to school A if you arent accepted off the waitlist before the CTE deadline at school B. Per other's comments this has been a big point of contention for a lot of people on here without any acceptances because if you dont give up your waitlist spots when you need to commit to enroll at another school it slows the pace down considerably for everyone else. Luckily, your first choice school has a CTE date before your other acceptance so you could potentially get in during that window.

Okay, I get it now. Thank you so much.

May 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I just joined (after reading a ton silently oops) and Im on 4 waitlists, no acceptances. I cant see the PTE/CTE tool on my application, is that normal? I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I'm wondering if im just lost/missing it completely

Mar 27, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I just joined (after reading a ton silently oops) and Im on 4 waitlists, no acceptances. I cant see the PTE/CTE tool on my application, is that normal? I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I'm wondering if im just lost/missing it completely
Yes that is normal. You will only be able to see the PTE/CTE tool if you are holding at least 1 acceptance

Reactions: ivva5363

VTDSPMed

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Columbia has had some movement. ~10 or so students have joined the FB group since April 30th.
I've tried not to look at the FB groups because it just gives me unneeded stress haha. Other students have told me even if they got accepted a few weeks ago, they might not join until now. Also, a lot of current students join for various reasons (recruiting for various clubs, need roommates, looking for someone to take their lease, etc).

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Unless an accepted student on FB has asked others on FB whether anyone has come in off the waitlist, divining FB new joiners as former waitlisters is NUTS!

May 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I've tried not to look at the FB groups because it just gives me unneeded stress haha. Other students have told me even if they got accepted a few weeks ago, they might not join until now. Also, a lot of current students join for various reasons (recruiting for various clubs, need roommates, looking for someone to take their lease, etc).
Unless an accepted student on FB has asked others on FB whether anyone has come in off the waitlist, divining FB new joiners as former waitlisters is NUTS!
The number I gave for Columbia was minus those that I could see were current students (like 15+ have joined since April 30th). I also doubt that these were students that were accepted from before and decided to join the FB group now - Columbia only has one acceptance date, back in late February, and the FB page size has stayed very stable until a few weeks ago (April 30th). It’s definitely not 100% accurate, but it does give an idea if there’s some movement. Of course, it’s best to have an accepted student notice these things, as they can see if the new members are already current students.

Feb 28, 2019
i've seen people talking about biweekly updates-what do they put in these? what could possibly be changing every two weeks? Are they just emphasizing their interest?
They very likely don’t make a difference in terms of you being qualified. It’s not like school A is waiting for 1 more publication from Jacob in order for him to be competitive enough to get an Acceptance.

It’s really just a non-repetitive way to reaffirm your interest every 2 weeks.

Reactions: edb63
Apr 15, 2019
Status
Oh no, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine. Sorry for the confusion!
Thats my plan too! I'm on two MD waitlists, but I have a seat a CCOM! So If don't hear by June Ill likely be going there because my husband has a potential job offer that we can't just pass up on a maybe from the MD schools. This whole process sucks.

Jul 7, 2018
Status
So you can hold multiple acceptances still? I currently hold 2 because I was accepted off the WL last week and was waiting for financial aid info to be released. Im trying to see if school 1 can match the finaid at school 2. But I havent heard back and I dont want anything to happen to either acceptance.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Class of 2023!
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
So you can hold multiple acceptances still? I currently hold 2 because I was accepted off the WL last week and was waiting for financial aid info to be released. Im trying to see if school 1 can match the finaid at school 2. But I havent heard back and I dont want anything to happen to either acceptance.
You need to look at both schools’ rules. The new school should have given you a deadline by which to make a decision.

May 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I don't know if our school is representative of others.
Hmm, can we know it anyway, for science purposes? I promise it’s not only because I’m on the waitlist for a certain school in California!*

*Ok maybe it’s because of this

Reactions: ZFox

schborke

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Technically per amcas rules you should only have one acceptance right now. But this hasn’t been enforced and the med schools know this otherwise they wouldn’t be dragging their feet with financial aid. If you want to light a fire under their ass I would tell the school with the later CTE when the earlier CTE is so they can get you financial aid before that date. If that makes sense.

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
5 business days is the standard so you might not get all the FA info before you have to choose. Don’t blow your own chances by dithering around.

Reactions: kittycatmd

OchemOficionado

2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2016
Status
You'll have to check with your schools to see what their rules are about this. Should be clear in the acceptance email (though not always).

Jul 7, 2018
Status
You'll have to check with your schools to see what their rules are about this. Should be clear in the acceptance email (though not always).
The acceptance says within 7 days to pay the deposit. Which I did. But doesnt say anything about withdrawing from other schools within that 7 days which is the confusing part. And today is day 7 and I havent heard anything.

OchemOficionado

2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2016
Status
The acceptance says within 7 days to pay the deposit. Which I did. But doesnt say anything about withdrawing from other schools within that 7 days which is the confusing part. And today is day 7 and I havent heard anything.
Contact them and ask.

Reactions: bostonstrong95

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn What does a waitlist committee meeting generally look like?
Some committees meet at intervals to consider the order in which students are accepted.
Other committees enumerate the order of acceptance and do not meet again until another batch is needed.
Others give instructions on various contingencies and only meet again as needed. For example they might say, "if we have 20 more men than women, take the following 20 women before going to this (other) list.
There are many variations on the above that have to do with how priorities change based on the evolution of class characteristics.

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Hmm, can we know it anyway, for science purposes? I promise it’s not only because I’m on the waitlist for a certain school in California!*

*Ok maybe it’s because of this
About a dozen are holding more than one acceptance.
The real problem is that the PTE and CTE groups are about even. How would you interpret that?

Feb 28, 2019
The real problem is that the PTE and CTE groups are about even. How would you interpret that?
And you don’t know the identities of those dozen students, correct?

Otherwise, I’d assume you rescind their acceptance. Maybe I’m wrong though

Reactions: ivva5363

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Class of 2023!
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Technically per amcas rules you should only have one acceptance right now. But this hasn’t been enforced and the med schools know this otherwise they wouldn’t be dragging their feet with financial aid. If you want to light a fire under their ass I would tell the school with the later CTE when the earlier CTE is so they can get you financial aid before that date. If that makes sense.
It’s not a rule anymore. It’s a guideline that schools can choose to enforce or not.

schborke

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Oct 25, 2018
I would assume that most of the PTE is exactly like us because we they want to get off the waitlist somewhere. So more than likely they would be coming to school, considering waitlist movement is less common before the CTE date?

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I would assume that most of the PTE is exactly like us because we they want to get off the waitlist somewhere. So more than likely they would be coming to school, considering waitlist movement is less common before the CTE date?
Who knows...

Reactions: MacBee and M&L

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
And you don’t know the identities of those dozen students, correct?

Otherwise, I’d assume you rescind their acceptance. Maybe I’m wrong though
Correct.
Maybe we would...if we only knew who they were.
Or maybe we would give them an incentive.

Reactions: OchemOficionado
Mar 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Correct.
Maybe we would...if we only knew who they were.
Or maybe we would give them an incentive.
An undergrad teacher of mine used to use the following psychological method to get students to confess:

"I have a list of all of the students that plagiarized. If you don't send me an email by 5 PM today admitting your guilt and divulging all of the gory details, you will receive an F in the course. I have caught 30 students so far and most of them have not yet been informed."

He actually did have a very good quantitative method of catching cheaters, but needless to say, he caught an additional 25 people by the end of the day via confession.

Point being.... maybe adcoms, such as yourself, could issue vague, unenforceable threats to get compliance. Not many people understand this new system and even fewer students would be willing to gamble. Lol