This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take out a loan or put it on a credit card with good rewards or something. Just remember that the person who was next on the waitlist when they have stopped taking people every year before this year only needed them to move one more person and probably thought it was a lock too.

Yep, that's what I keep thinking. Like I really appreciate that it is one of the only schools to disclose our rankings on the WL, but also then there is always that one person every year that knows just how close they really got. It would just be an extreme outlier if they only took 11 people when every year prior it has been 20-30. But again, with the new rules it might have changed the dynamic in a really complex way, maybe this is the new normal.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
But some of that 4% may hold say 4 or 5 acceptances. Once they narrow it to 1, that opens up 3 or 4 slots. Those slots are offered to people that
Because the percentage went from 1% to 4% in 10 days, odds are this is because of a single offer from another school, not holding 4 or 5.

Last edited:
I am 99% confident you will get accepted. I know which school you are referencing. I met with their admissions team last week. It may be a a few weeks, but you will be a part of the fall's class.

I really, really think so too, but the stakes of the gamble are high. Man, doesn't it suck that this particular year they decided to change things? I think we'd both be in if there wasn't this whole confusion and mess delaying nationwide movement. Hopefully in 3 months time we can complain about lack of sleep from studying rather than from worrying about getting admitted lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And out of that 4% holding multiple acceptances, how many of them are holding more than 2, 3, or like you said 4 acceptances.
Most likely, they are holding a single other acceptance that they have received in the last 10 days (since there was only 1% holding another acceptance then).

Reactions: 1 user
Get a small loan to pay for the deposit at the DO. Consider it hedging your bet because if you have to reapply that's a minimum 2 grand.
Definitely worth it to risk the $1500. At least you will have an acceptance. As others have said it will cost you much much more to reapply.
You’ll regret taking a 4th cycle much more than you will regret potentially throwing away $1500

Okay I'll bite the bullet and be impoverished for a while. AAMC, WHY DO YOU HURT ME SO???

Okay I'll bite the bullet and be impoverished for a while. AAMC, WHY DO YOU HURT ME SO???
Its just the smart thing to do and congrats on the house and Waitlist position. Hopefully you hear before deposit is due.

I may be wrong here, but I believe CTE requires withdrawal from all acceptances and WLs. But I defer to those like gyngyn who will know.
We (the schools) don't know who is holding multiple accepts.
AMCAS knows but has decided not to do anything about it.
They suggest that CTE should mean dropping WL's and other acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
Can't wait for another day of starting out hopeful and then gradually losing hope throughout the day...

• Sad
Reactions: 23 users
After their 5/11 interview date batch, they (CUSM) are sending out another round of interview invites!
I just had an interview at Seton hall on Tuesday and as lucky as I feel, I’m anxiously waiting to see if I get in before I have to reapply next week

Have you thought about reaching out to the MD school and telling them your situation?

Yes, they are really transparent and helpful there as well, but I don't really know what they could do as their class is filled and they are only taking people off the WL when someone holding acceptance drops it.

Can't wait for another day of starting out hopeful and then gradually losing hope throughout the day...

You really just have to focus on the rest of your life. If you keep checking your email every 20 minutes, you're going to be full of disappointment, and that's not even to say that you won't eventually get the school you're looking for! Just have to focus on other important aspects of your life and if it is going to happen, it will. Worrying more will not change it. Stay positive, everything happens for a reason!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You really just have to focus on the rest of your life. If you keep checking your email every 20 minutes, you're going to be full of disappointment, and that's not even to say that you won't eventually get the school you're looking for! Just have to focus on other important aspects of your life and if it is going to happen, it will. Worrying more will not change it. Stay positive, everything happens for a reason!
Been struggling with this myself lately. Its really good advice, just hard to execute.

Reactions: 5 users
My boyfriend got off his first of 8 waitlists today, the day after graduating from undergrad and the day after my birthday! (Yes, it was my birthday wish) !!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 45 users
I really, really think so too, but the stakes of the gamble are high. Man, doesn't it suck that this particular year they decided to change things? I think we'd both be in if there wasn't this whole confusion and mess delaying nationwide movement. Hopefully in 3 months time we can complain about lack of sleep from studying rather than from worrying about getting admitted lol.
Id love for this scenario to play out!

After three years of applying I can finally say that I have been accepted! Totally had an ugly cry!

Good luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 81 users
How quick do you guys think we'd be able to find housing in. For instance, if accepted to a school in early July that starts 2-3 weeks after would that be sufficient time to find an available place?

The determining factor(s) breakdown to how much money you want to spend and how picky you are with location/quality.

If you have a realistic budget for the area plus another 10-20%, you could probably get into a place within a day or two. If you are going to be nickle and dime housing to adhere to a strict budget, you may have to spend more time finding the place that fits your wallet.

Same for quality and location. To be right next to a university in decent housing, there may be some competition. Conversely, if you are cool living in a shed on the other side of the railroad tracks, you could find a place quickly.

If you have realistic expectations with those factors, you could probably get into a place within a few days. Being willing to compromise in any one area will most likely help.

Ok neurotic question here:

I’m on three waitlists and two of them call if you get off. But I’m in Europe right now (for the next month) and I’m afraid I might not get the phone call if they happened to call me. They would send an email if they can’t get me by phone, correct??

Ok neurotic question here:

I’m on three waitlists and two of them call if you get off. But I’m in Europe right now (for the next month) and I’m afraid I might not get the phone call if they happened to call me. They would send an email if they can’t get me by phone, correct??

yes; however, you should at some point make sure to have access to WIFI so you can respond in a timely manner.

I didn’t say it did. He made a joke about exercising his first amendment rights, and I joked back pointing out that the first amendment doesn’t apply to private entities with a winky face. It was a light-hearted interaction.

Sorry, I wasn't clear! I didn't think anyone was really concerned - just wanted to let people know about our TOS since you can't understand tone well on the internet.

In the grand scheme of things, the $1500 (think of it as career protection insurance) will be a drop in the bucket compared with the cost of your medical education and also your career earnings once you’re out of residency. It’s really a no-brainer.

But it's so hard to doooooo! LOL

Seriously, I'm feeling like that person too. Since this month, I've been getting stomach aches almost every day :(((((

Reactions: 4 users
Man, this process seems like it will really screw over people with significant others that need to find a job in a new city, or families that have different housing needs if they don't know until the last possible minute.
This is my current state.. I have a spot at a DO school in Chicago and I'm WL at my two state schools. If i got into my top choice, my husband could keep his job and we only have to move about an hour south. But there is no way of knowing where we'll end up so it makes the job hunt so hard.

• Sad
I keep saying to my partner I wish I had my life together a year earlier!

Yo, I should've married or moved in with my partner a year earlier than I did and I probably would've been able to apply earlier! The only reason I could do it now is because I had someone helping me with rent. I've done the math and before we lived together, AT BEST I would've only been go to one interview. Ugh...I feel ya.

After three years of applying I can finally say that I have been accepted! Totally had an ugly cry!

Yay!!!!!!! I am so happy to hear this! With that much resilience and hard work, you deserve it :) I'm barely able to pick myself up from the ground after being placed on an alternate list this year. It gives me hope to keep moving forward and trying again when I'm ready (probably next cycle, kudos to you all who are able to make those quick moves). Which school will you be attending?

Reactions: 7 users
Another business day over, another disappointment. But at least Dapperdoc got in and Kiwi got a MD II, so that's nice.

• Love
Reactions: 23 users
Hey guys! Anyone here getting ready to reapply? I'm on 2 waitlists and have very quickly lost hope. Does anyone know how they're going to rewrite their statement? I'm very stuck on this. I really have no idea how to start my new one.

Reactions: 5 users
@gyngyn has you school accepted less people off the WL at this point than historically, by this point?

What's redit?
It’s basically a website where people can post about any topic, with different groups and threads based on each topic and millions of users. Good way to waste time, and it has a premed forum. It’s anonymous like sdn but far less formal. :)

It’s basically a website where people can post about any topic, with different groups and threads based on each topic and millions of users. Good way to waste time, and it has a premed forum. It’s anonymous like sdn but far less formal. :)
honestly I am not a big fan of reddit. I think it is really hard to navigate through. I think it is not as well organized as SDN

hey guys, just needed somewhere to vent. all of my interviews resulted in a waitlist, and I'm on 3 MD waitlists and 1 DO waitlist. I was cautiously optimistic I would get off of at least one, but each day I'm slowly losing hope haha. this process sucks.

Reactions: 7 users
hey guys, just needed somewhere to vent. all of my interviews resulted in a waitlist, and I'm on 3 MD waitlists and 1 DO waitlist. I was cautiously optimistic I would get off of at least one, but each day I'm slowly losing hope haha. this process sucks.

Feel you buddy. Went in thinking I was a strong applicant and crushed the interviews. Now sitting with 2 waitlists. I accepted the fact I'm not getting in this year and just looking forward to next cycle.

Reactions: 9 users
Feel you buddy. Went in thinking I was a strong applicant and crushed the interviews. Now sitting with 2 waitlists. I accepted the fact I'm not getting in this year and just looking forward to next cycle.

Me too :/. Any idea how you’re gonna rewrite your essay?

I love to write. If you message me, I might be able to come up with some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.