Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I need advice. I am on a ranked waitlist sitting at #2 for my absolute top choice school. It’s my state school and it usually has pretty solid, regular movement between 20-30 spots every year. This year it has only moved 11. My only other acceptance is at the DO school in my state, and it requires a $1500 deposit on May 28. So unless 2 people give up their place within a week, I am faced with a tough decision.

This is my 3rd year applying because the first cycle I only applied to 6 places with subpar ECs, and last year I only applied at the state school while trying to improve on them which landed me on the waitlist but in a much higher spot. I don’t have money to throw around because we just bought a house, so losing $1500 is a really big deal to secure a spot at a school that is far below my first choice. I am so close and I do think I will get pulled of the WL eventually because 40% of the class is still PTE, but also I can’t be absolutely certain that this year isn’t a massive outlier.

Would you guys risk it to save money you don’t have? Or would you somehow take out a loan and make sure you don’t have to apply for a 4th cycle to just end up somewhere you don’t really want to be?
Get a small loan to pay for the deposit at the DO. Consider it hedging your bet because if you have to reapply that's a minimum 2 grand.

I need advice. I am on a ranked waitlist sitting at #2 for my absolute top choice school. It’s my state school and it usually has pretty solid, regular movement between 20-30 spots every year. This year it has only moved 11. My only other acceptance is at the DO school in my state, and it requires a $1500 deposit on May 28. So unless 2 people give up their place within a week, I am faced with a tough decision.

This is my 3rd year applying because the first cycle I only applied to 6 places with subpar ECs, and last year I only applied at the state school while trying to improve on them which landed me on the waitlist but in a much higher spot. I don’t have money to throw around because we just bought a house, so losing $1500 is a really big deal to secure a spot at a school that is far below my first choice. I am so close and I do think I will get pulled of the WL eventually because 40% of the class is still PTE, but also I can’t be absolutely certain that this year isn’t a massive outlier.

Would you guys risk it to save money you don’t have? Or would you somehow take out a loan and make sure you don’t have to apply for a 4th cycle to just end up somewhere you don’t really want to be?
You’ll regret taking a 4th cycle much more than you will regret potentially throwing away $1500

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
@Goro How do DO schools fill their seats if they fly blind?
At my school, we pool people into high and low priority, and the Dean picks people based upon stats. So we go down the list until we fill the Class.

Reactions: Vokounfan
Jun 15, 2018

Definitely worth it to risk the $1500. At least you will have an acceptance. As others have said it will cost you much much more to reapply.

Nova6218

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Sep 21, 2017
Status
Medical Student
So the part of the reason I think that more waitlist movement will occur later is that many schools are slightly under the number of seats needed to fill their class. The problem is many schools are waiting to see which students get selected off their waitlist, before reformulating their class. Also has others have discussed 4 % of applicants holding multiple acceptances is a lot, I actually know someone right now holding 4 different acceptances. So I don't think gyngyns number applies to all situations.
And out of that 4% holding multiple acceptances, how many of them are holding more than 2, 3, or like you said 4 acceptances. When that person with 4 acceptances chooses, that opens 3 spots. Definitely will still be movement.

Mar 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
@gyngyn, has your school accepted fewer people off the waitlist by this point in time than you have historically? if so, can you ballpark the percent difference? (i.e., historically by the end of may you accept 50% off the waitlist, but this year at this time you've accepted 10% off the waitlist)

Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2014
Status
I want to believe this, but if only 4% of people have multiple acceptances then it's probably wishful thinking.
But some of that 4% may hold say 4 or 5 acceptances. Once they narrow it to 1, that opens up 3 or 4 slots. Those slots are offered to people that
a) will commit and thus open up spot(s) at other schools or
b) go to people that commit because they have no acceptance or
c) they decide to remove themselves from consideration, thus the seat goes to another candidate on the waitlist

Theoretically a cascade could make 10 people happier for a variety of reasons like it being their first acceptance or getting into their school choice i.e. top choice, better school, closer to home, cheaper. So in essence, one person can make 10 others happy by releasing multiple seats

Dec 8, 2018
But some of that 4% may hold say 4 or 5 acceptances. Once they narrow it to 1, that opens up 3 or 4 slots. Those slots are offered to people that
a) will commit and thus open up spot(s) at other schools or
b) go to people that commit because they have no acceptance or
c) they decide to remove themselves from consideration, thus the seat goes to another candidate on the waitlist

Theoretically a cascade could make 10 people happier for a variety of reasons like it being their first acceptance or getting into their school choice i.e. top choice, better school, closer to home, cheaper. So in essence, one person can make 10 others happy by releasing multiple seats
tl;dr screw the people with multiple acceptances rn

Aug 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I want to believe this, but if only 4% of people have multiple acceptances then it's probably wishful thinking.
California can’t be representative of the rest of the country. almost all of California schools are a bit hard to get into and it’s not easy to get into OOS school, which would probably not be better anyways so why would someone accepted in California continue to hold an acceptance somewhere else that is less optimum? On the other hand there are states that have diverse composition of schools. Some have a mix of cheap and expensive, competitive and non-competitive etc. You could imagine that those who get into a competitive school in home state have probably applied everywhere else in that state and most likely got into multiple. Honestly I have no clue what I’m saying but Im trying to convince myself that I’m onto something lmao

wholeheartedly

Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2009
Beyond the Wall
Man, this process seems like it will really screw over people with significant others that need to find a job in a new city, or families that have different housing needs if they don't know until the last possible minute.

Mr. Game & Watch

What I learned in boating school is...
Jun 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If I was accepted off the waitlist for school A, but already had an acceptance for school B, how many days do I have to make a decision between the two? I called school A and they said they have no deadlines, but "sooner rather than later." Obviously, I will drop one of the acceptances soon, but just wondering if there is any official AAMC guideline on this
Sorry for the late reply - but at this stage you have a "minimum of 5 business days" according to the amcas guidelines. Wish I could be of more help but at least you have some time to think on it.

"Sooner rather than later" is absolutely hilarious though lol...

Jan 2, 2019
Man, this process seems like it will really screw over people with significant others that need to find a job in a new city, or families that have different housing needs if they don't know until the last possible minute.
That’s where I’m at right now. I’m waiting until the end of this month, but then I have to let go of my top choice. It’s just what’s best and most considerate for my family. I heard that my top choice (Florida) over accepted this year anyway. They told a friend of mine on the phone that they don’t have any idea when they’ll get to the waitlist if at all. Super bummed.

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
For those of us who have been accepted to a MD program but are waiting for a more preferable school, we are fortunate and should acknowledge it. Going to medical school is a privilege, not a right. Yes, much about the entire application process is broken and unfair, as is the healthcare system in the US. It is incumbent on our generation to work to fix it. It may be our singular mission.

For those still waiting on an acceptance to a MD program, all the best in the days ahead. Let me suggest that we orient this thread in support of you.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
Status
How quick do you guys think we'd be able to find housing in. For instance, if accepted to a school in early July that starts 2-3 weeks after would that be sufficient time to find an available place?

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Class of 2023!
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Drexel MD or Rowan DO PBL ? Got accepted to Drexel MD but also to the PBL stream of Rowan DO. Which one should I pick?
SDN has an entire sub forum for asking for help choosing between schools. If you are struggling and want some outside input, I encourage you to post there.

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
It can only mean that they grossly underestimated the number needed to fill.
This could either be that their committee was less impressed with the screened candidates or that they screened an inadequate number for interviews at the outset.
After their 5/11 interview date batch, they (CUSM) are sending out another round of interview invites!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
That’s where I’m at right now. I’m waiting until the end of this month, but then I have to let go of my top choice. It’s just what’s best and most considerate for my family. I heard that my top choice (Florida) over accepted this year anyway. They told a friend of mine on the phone that they don’t have any idea when they’ll get to the waitlist if at all. Super bummed.
Wait Florida over accepted this year? That's a bummer. I was told from somebody in admissions that they think going to the waitlist is still a very real possibility this cycle...so not sure who to believe

Oct 3, 2017

I am 99% confident you will get accepted. I know which school you are referencing. I met with their admissions team last week. It may be a a few weeks, but you will be a part of the fall's class.

Reactions: EmbracetheKace
Oct 5, 2018
okay, I am extremely confused. Everyone is saying that the CTE is just a mere guidline. So what that means is that people will CTE and not withdraw from other schools unless they are forced to (whatever forcing individual medical schools make you do). Therefore this stalemate probably will not even end around the CTE dates because again it is just a guideline and people can remain on waitlists, and schools can still accept people who have CTEd. so therefore this stalemate will never end and PTE will just turn into CTE

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I may be wrong here, but I believe CTE requires withdrawal from all acceptances and WLs. But I defer to those like gyngyn who will know.

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I am 99% confident you will get accepted. I know which school you are referencing. I met with their admissions team last week. It may be a a few weeks, but you will be a part of the fall's class.
As reassuring as this is and all, I would still recommend that @EmbracetheKace make the deposit on May 27 or 28 at the DO school if nothing has been heard back from the MD school by then.

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I would take out a loan or put it on a credit card with good rewards or something. Just remember that the person who was next on the waitlist when they have stopped taking people every year before this year only needed them to move one more person and probably thought it was a lock too.
Yep, that's what I keep thinking. Like I really appreciate that it is one of the only schools to disclose our rankings on the WL, but also then there is always that one person every year that knows just how close they really got. It would just be an extreme outlier if they only took 11 people when every year prior it has been 20-30. But again, with the new rules it might have changed the dynamic in a really complex way, maybe this is the new normal.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Because the percentage went from 1% to 4% in 10 days, odds are this is because of a single offer from another school, not holding 4 or 5.

Last edited:

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I really, really think so too, but the stakes of the gamble are high. Man, doesn't it suck that this particular year they decided to change things? I think we'd both be in if there wasn't this whole confusion and mess delaying nationwide movement. Hopefully in 3 months time we can complain about lack of sleep from studying rather than from worrying about getting admitted lol.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
And out of that 4% holding multiple acceptances, how many of them are holding more than 2, 3, or like you said 4 acceptances.
Most likely, they are holding a single other acceptance that they have received in the last 10 days (since there was only 1% holding another acceptance then).

Reactions: Nova6218

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Get a small loan to pay for the deposit at the DO. Consider it hedging your bet because if you have to reapply that's a minimum 2 grand.
Definitely worth it to risk the $1500. At least you will have an acceptance. As others have said it will cost you much much more to reapply.
You’ll regret taking a 4th cycle much more than you will regret potentially throwing away $1500
Okay I'll bite the bullet and be impoverished for a while. AAMC, WHY DO YOU HURT ME SO???

Reactions: 1nside

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I may be wrong here, but I believe CTE requires withdrawal from all acceptances and WLs. But I defer to those like gyngyn who will know.
We (the schools) don't know who is holding multiple accepts.
AMCAS knows but has decided not to do anything about it.
They suggest that CTE should mean dropping WL's and other acceptances.

edb63

2+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
After their 5/11 interview date batch, they (CUSM) are sending out another round of interview invites!
I just had an interview at Seton hall on Tuesday and as lucky as I feel, I’m anxiously waiting to see if I get in before I have to reapply next week

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you thought about reaching out to the MD school and telling them your situation?
Yes, they are really transparent and helpful there as well, but I don't really know what they could do as their class is filled and they are only taking people off the WL when someone holding acceptance drops it.

May 3, 2019
Status
Can't wait for another day of starting out hopeful and then gradually losing hope throughout the day...
You really just have to focus on the rest of your life. If you keep checking your email every 20 minutes, you're going to be full of disappointment, and that's not even to say that you won't eventually get the school you're looking for! Just have to focus on other important aspects of your life and if it is going to happen, it will. Worrying more will not change it. Stay positive, everything happens for a reason!