Get a small loan to pay for the deposit at the DO. Consider it hedging your bet because if you have to reapply that's a minimum 2 grand.I need advice. I am on a ranked waitlist sitting at #2 for my absolute top choice school. It’s my state school and it usually has pretty solid, regular movement between 20-30 spots every year. This year it has only moved 11. My only other acceptance is at the DO school in my state, and it requires a $1500 deposit on May 28. So unless 2 people give up their place within a week, I am faced with a tough decision.
This is my 3rd year applying because the first cycle I only applied to 6 places with subpar ECs, and last year I only applied at the state school while trying to improve on them which landed me on the waitlist but in a much higher spot. I don’t have money to throw around because we just bought a house, so losing $1500 is a really big deal to secure a spot at a school that is far below my first choice. I am so close and I do think I will get pulled of the WL eventually because 40% of the class is still PTE, but also I can’t be absolutely certain that this year isn’t a massive outlier.
Would you guys risk it to save money you don’t have? Or would you somehow take out a loan and make sure you don’t have to apply for a 4th cycle to just end up somewhere you don’t really want to be?