Feb 28, 2019
@gyngyn

Do additional letters of rec from med school faculty members (especially from institution you are waitlisted at) have any effect at this point?

schborke

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys! Anyone here getting ready to reapply? I'm on 2 waitlists and have very quickly lost hope. Does anyone know how they're going to rewrite their statement? I'm very stuck on this. I really have no idea how to start my new one.
Hey for me my plan is to kind of re-frame my why medicine question using new experiences as evidence. It’s a tough task for sure but hopefully you have some new experiences you can relate to past experiences.

Also in general when I’m writing I just brain dump and edit later. That’s how you get the framework done.

schborke

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Diehard reddit fans say exactly the opposite. They don’t like the fact that SDN doesn’t put replies under the comment/post that was being replied to.
Reddit is awesome. It takes a while to get used to. You have to subscribe to subreddits that interest you and you can customize your newsfeed. There’s endless funny/cool content on there.

Apr 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
hey guys, just needed somewhere to vent. all of my interviews resulted in a waitlist, and I'm on 3 MD waitlists and 1 DO waitlist. I was cautiously optimistic I would get off of at least one, but each day I'm slowly losing hope haha. this process sucks.
I think a lot of us are in the same boat. I feel your struggle! I’m currently working on re-applying next cycle just in case my WL doesn’t come through.

Reactions: navdog9
May 31, 2018
My sister is graduating HS on Saturday and we have a celebration for that on Sunday. Man it is gonna suck so bad when my old hs teachers and various family friends ask me what I am up to and I have to be like "well I'm on a waitlist, statistically speaking my chances of getting in are probably <10% at this point and I have no plan for what else I'm going to do." Obviously not gonna be quite that candid but still.

It'd be much easier to say "I'm going to med school in the fall." It's gonna be so embarrassing, I wish I could just run away for two days and skip those two events. Everyone else is going somewhere in life, hell most people on /r/premed and on here are into at least one school, and I'm gonna be having to make small talk about being a failure the whole weekend...
Chin up, life is a marathon not a sprint. You won’t even remember this event 5 years in the future when you are a doctor/in medical school.

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been lurking this thread after being placed on a waitlist in March and can't believe I get to post this..... I'M ACCEPTED! This is my second cycle applying and after being waitlisted last cycle and this cycle I'm finally in!!!

I'm sending much luck to the rest of you- I'm hoping you all get great news very soon!!!
Congratulations!!

Another day breaks, another ray of hope.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

Apr 23, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been lurking this thread after being placed on a waitlist in March and can't believe I get to post this..... I'M ACCEPTED! This is my second cycle applying and after being waitlisted last cycle and this cycle I'm finally in!!!

I'm sending much luck to the rest of you- I'm hoping you all get great news very soon!!!
CONGRATS TO YOU!!! did you get a call today....what a nice start to memorial day weekend:)

Mr. Game & Watch

What I learned in boating school is...
Jun 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
My sister is graduating HS on Saturday and we have a celebration for that on Sunday. Man it is gonna suck so bad when my old hs teachers and various family friends ask me what I am up to and I have to be like "well I'm on a waitlist, statistically speaking my chances of getting in are probably <10% at this point and I have no plan for what else I'm going to do." Obviously not gonna be quite that candid but still.

It'd be much easier to say "I'm going to med school in the fall." It's gonna be so embarrassing, I wish I could just run away for two days and skip those two events. Everyone else is going somewhere in life, hell most people on /r/premed and on here are into at least one school, and I'm gonna be having to make small talk about being a failure the whole weekend...
Just look two posts below your original - that person went through exactly what you're facing right now and it ended up working out just fine. You're definitely not alone - hell some people apply to 3/4 cycles before getting an A. There's always a down side but at the same time there's always a bright side too - why not choose the latter?

And if you truly don't want to tell people this weekend, just say you're in the process of applying to medical school. Not many negative things that can be said about that!

MortySmithC-137

Probationary Status
May 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

"Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded." Batman

justalittlestar

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2009
Philly
Status
Pre-Medical

Firstly, you are not a failure. Some people don't even get interview invites for med school. The fact that you received a medical school interview means you have what it takes. Keep your head up.

Lastly, you may not even have to engage in small talk this weekend just simply say "It's late in the cycle but I'm still waiting to hear from a school. Keep your fingers crossed for me." Keep it simple and move on. I think we underestimate the fact that a lot of people DO know how hard the process of getting into medical school is.

Dec 4, 2018

I understand the pain, people constantly ask me about it. But, if you run away from it, it's like you're running away from reality and refusing to accept what happened. Accepting failure will help you grow and realize your weaknesses. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

But, yes, the world is cruel

Apr 23, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I got an email to call actually!! Thank you so much!!!
How unique.....take time to celebrate such an exciting moment:) I feel like getting off the waitlist is so rare on a Friday because it is too good to be true because one, like yourself, has the weekend to celebrate!

Reactions: Anaphase
Apr 15, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Firstly, you are not a failure. Some people don't even get interview invites for med school. The fact that you received a medical school interview means you have what it takes. Keep your head up.

Lastly, you may not even have to engage in small talk this weekend just simply say "It's late in the cycle but I'm still waiting to hear from a school. Keep your fingers crossed for me." Keep it simple and move on. I think we underestimate the fact that a lot of people DO know how hard the process of getting into medical school is.
I kind of agree with this, but honestly so many people don't understand the process. I have to explain myself every single time and its gets tiring. Every sunday I have people at church asking me if I know where I'm going yet and its exhausting because I honestly have no idea.

Dec 4, 2018

Congrats, and was this Stony Brook?

Apr 23, 2018
Status
Congrats, and was this Stony Brook?
Lol Stony Brook. I had a dream last night that I was the last person they accepted on their waitlist... and then I woke up

Reactions: BirdMD123

And if you truly don't want to tell people this weekend, just say you're in the process of applying to medical school. Not many negative things that can be said about that!
Unless it’s followed by an series of endless questions and you eventually have to reveal that you’ve been applying for an entire year and only have a waitlist position to show for it LOL

I’m not disregarding the rest of what you said!!!!

gyngyn

Staff member
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn

Do additional letters of rec from med school faculty members (especially from institution you are waitlisted at) have any effect at this point?
If the person is a full-time faculty member who is well-known to the committee, a call to the admissions dean might have a small effect.
At this point, depending on the stratum to which you have sorted, that is the most that can be expected.

Nov 13, 2018
Status
Feel you buddy. Went in thinking I was a strong applicant and crushed the interviews. Now sitting with 2 waitlists. I accepted the fact I'm not getting in this year and just looking forward to next cycle.
+1
i guess it's just that much more competitive this year :\

Reactions: navdog9

M&L

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Jul 23, 2018
Status
June's already creeping up. Crazy. Enjoy your memorial day weekend all. Try to take your mind off the process?
i remember when everyone was waiting for April 30th..... Damn

I wouldn't go that far!
In fact, I would go so far as to say that (at some schools) where fewer and fewer "multiples" are interviewed, the committee's eyebrows are raised when one comes through.
It definitely varies school by school. A lot of schools have moved towards just weighing the highest if it’s the most recent one.

I remember the dean of admissions at Hopkins saying “if you have to take it two or even three times, it’s fine”.

Overall, I do believe the stigma is dying down at a significant number of schools. But as always, you know better that I do gyngyn!

Mar 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I wouldn't go that far!
In fact, I would go so far as to say that (at some schools) where fewer and fewer "multiples" are interviewed, the committee's eyebrows are raised when one comes through.

I honestly feel like that's unfair to lower SES students....

-not everyone has parents who can pay for them to take 3 months off of work
-not everyone can afford the 3 grand test prep courses
-many people have to work the entire time that they are studying

I get that you can only take step 1 once and that you should nail the mcat the first time, but adcoms need to seriously stop being so callous towards poor students...

Apr 17, 2019
I honestly feel like that's unfair to lower SES students....

-not everyone has parents who can pay for them to take 3 months off of work
-not everyone can afford the 3 grand test prep courses
-many people have to work the entire time that they are studying

I get that you can only take step 1 once and that you should nail the mcat the first time, but adcoms need to seriously stop being so callous towards poor students...
Totally feel this. I was working 40+ hours a week. Studying the mcat when I get home for a couple of months. I was so tired. Probably could've done much better if I had the luxury to have time off.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Class of 2023!
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
What folks say in a meeting is often at odds with what happens behind closed doors!
They want to appear inclusive in public.
Honestly, I’m disappointed by the lack of transparency at so many schools. It hasn’t happened to me, but I’ve heard stories of admissions people saying things to appear inclusive or supportive when it’s not true. Or they tell applicants that it’s their CARS score when in reality they were a super awkward interviewer.

First, these people are deans or staff at a medical school. They shouldn’t be so afraid of confrontation that they lie so that they don’t get yelled at by an offended med student. And second, lying about that stuff doesn’t help anyone. Instead of working on what actually needs to improve, they’re focusing on something that may have been fine or that they could screw up by retaking or whatever.

It’s disappointing to see so many people in positions of authority who can help applicants just blow them off to make it easier for themselves.

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Honestly, I’m disappointed by the lack of transparency at so many schools. It hasn’t happened to me, but I’ve heard stories of admissions people saying things to appear inclusive or supportive when it’s not true. Or they tell applicants that it’s their CARS score when in reality they were a super awkward interviewer.

First, these people are deans or staff at a medical school. They shouldn’t be so afraid of confrontation that they lie so that they don’t get yelled at by an offended med student. And second, lying about that stuff doesn’t help anyone. Instead of working on what actually needs to improve, they’re focusing on something that may have been fine or that they could screw up by retaking or whatever.

It’s disappointing to see so many people in positions of authority who can help applicants just blow them off to make it easier for themselves.
This is a complicated topic. All institutions maintain a certain degree of hypocrisy, and I'd argue that some hypocracy is required for their proper functioning.

As to medical school admissions, unfortunately, too many decisions are based on personal judgements, not objective data, nowhere more so than with regards to interviews. It is much easier to refer to a CARS score than to have to explain, usually second hand, an interviewer's judgement.

The entire system of medical school admissions, which we have all bought into, often unchallenged, needs to be overhauled. It begins by recognizing that medical schools, and, especially AMCAS, are self-serving institutions. Let's start by calibrating our expectations of them, and then begin the process of changing them. There is too much capricuousness, randomness and inequity baked into this cake!

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Class of 2023!
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
This is a complicated topic. All institutions maintain a certain degree of hypocrisy, and I'd argue that some hypocracy is required for their proper functioning.
Completely disagree. You do not need hypocrisy to function, that is just what people tell themselves to let them sleep at night (not saying you do that, just speaking in general).

As to medical school admissions, unfortunately too many of the decisions are based on personal judgements, not objective data, nowhere more so than with regards to interviews. It is much easier to refer to a CARS score than to have to explain, usually second hand, an interviewer's judgement.
And that is my point. These people take the easier road rather than the right one. The right thing to do isn't always the easy thing to do. Just because it is easier to lie to an applicant doesn't mean you should. These people are in a position to help applicants and instead take the convenient way out of any potentially awkward conversation. It's sad.

The entire system of medical school admissions, which we have all bought into, often unchallenged, needs to be overhauled. It begins by recognizing that medical schools, and especially AMCAS are self-serving institutions. Let's start by calibrating our expectations of them, and then begin the process of changing them. There is too much capricuousness, randomness and inequity baked into this cake!
We have no power. Our expectations SHOULD be high. But having high expectations doesn't do anything when you have no power. Unless all applicants suddenly banded together and boycotted schools or AMCAS or whatever, there will always be tens of thousands of applicants ready to take your spot if you decide to sit it out. The only hope really is to get into med school admissions yourself and try to change things. But we're applying to med school to become doctors, not admissions deans.

Reactions: pinkowl250
Apr 29, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Just look two posts below your original - that person went through exactly what you're facing right now and it ended up working out just fine. You're definitely not alone - hell some people apply to 3/4 cycles before getting an A. There's always a down side but at the same time there's always a bright side too - why not choose the latter?

I know the feeling. I'm on 1 waitlist that stated "accepted pending the availability of a seat" Just received my masters in Neuroscience last weekend and currently doing research. At this point when people ask me my future plans I just say "to work....doing anything" Our plans are too big with so many hoops and loops to have folks on our backs.

Reactions: Mr. Game & Watch