This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't that always been an issue? You don't know who will leave to accept a waitlist position. At least now you have an insight with the PTE.
Not at all.
Before, we had a list of accepted students.
If someone came off a waitlist, we found out the next day.
We could tell with a high degree of precision if they were likely to accept the waitlist (depending on which school accepted them). We could offer inducements to keep them!
We could also contact those with multiple acceptances.
There was no coercion to come off waitlists because we could tell (in real time) what was happening to the list of accepted students. If someone got accepted to HMS, we could pull someone from the waitlist the same day.

PTE only means that they are holding out for a waitlist acceptance. CTE is not enforceable since only AMCAS knows if they are still on waitlists.
Basically, we know nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I guess my confusion is that I don't see where movement could possibly come from if so few people are holding multiple acceptances. If there are tons of PTE throughout the nation but they are all on a waitlist for a higher ranked school, and the higher ranked school isn't going to move, then the lower ranked schools won't move either.

Like, imagine there were three schools in the nation, 1 2 and 3. 1 is the highest ranked, 2 is a mid tier, and 3 is a low tier. 1 has mostly CTE and a few PTE, 2 has half CTE and half PTE (but those half PTE are on 1's waitlist, which won't move), 3 has a lot of PTE because many people are on the waitlist for 1 or 2 or both.

Unless there's a significant portion of people holding acceptances to 2 or 3 of the schools, then movement won't happen. Right? Obviously this model is incredibly oversimplified but I think it's pretty accurate.

So if we assume most schools have 4% of their acceptees with multiple acceptances, then that equates to only about 6 spots of movement on each school to come, which is basically nothing. Unless a ton of people are holding a ton of extra acceptances and that 4% figure at gyngyn's school is unusually low and most schools have a much higher number, or schools aren't full to capacity yet (maybe some aren't, but most FB groups are full even when accounting for M1s in the group...) I don't really see a mechanism by which further movement can occur.

Rochester claims that they accepted the bare minimum number of candidates. Their school specific thread has also seen almost no WL movement.

I think that they are one of the schools that is currently under-enrolled and is waiting until they are in a more confident position before accepting more student. I am not certain though how common this is across the board. Rochester is known as a school where a lot of T20 WL fodder kids end up. They traditionally have a problem with yield --> hence the abundance of caution in their specific case.

I guess my confusion is that I don't see where movement could possibly come from if so few people are holding multiple acceptances.
It usually starts with the Ivy's. If they accepted as many or more than usual, there will be little movement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It usually starts with the Ivy's. If they accepted as many or more than usual, there will be little movement.
So theoretically, if all the ivies had earlier CTE deadlines, then everyone can get sorted faster?

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn’t be surprised if Harvard’s class is now almost entirely CTE. Plus they have such a high yield anyway (the highest, if I’m not mistaken) that they won’t be accepting many off their waitlist anyway. I don’t think their CTE deadline will be pivotal for WL movement at other schools.
They go to the waitlist every year. They pulled someone as recently as last week.

@gyngyn

Can AMCAS schools see tmdsas schools in terms of holding multiple acceptances?

This is the only large group of applicants that might potentially still be doing this.
We have been notified of acceptances in TX prior to this year, I imagine that AMCAS includes them in the "report."

Let us pause and take a Breath, a moment to be thankful for our lives, our loved ones, all those who support us, and our beloved adcom who gives us hope. Thank you... and now back to our regularly scheduled speculation, anxiety inducing uncertainty, and aamc mudslinging.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Let us pause and take a Breath, a moment to be thankful for our lives, our loved ones, all those who support us, and our beloved adcom who gives us hope. Thank you... and now back to our regularly scheduled speculation, anxiety inducing uncertainty, and aamc mudslinging.
What a beautiful moment! Lolz

@gyngyn

I imagine a lot of state schools WL really competitive applicants (T20 level people) for yield protection.

Would state schools risk over enrolling if it meant accepting T20 candidates that have strongly motioned that they prefer their state school for geographical reasons.

@Goro How do DO schools fill their seats if they fly blind?

If I was accepted off the waitlist for school A, but already had an acceptance for school B, how many days do I have to make a decision between the two? I called school A and they said they have no deadlines, but "sooner rather than later." Obviously, I will drop one of the acceptances soon, but just wondering if there is any official AAMC guideline on this

If I was accepted off the waitlist for school A, but already had an acceptance for school B, how many days do I have to make a decision between the two? I called school A and they said they have no deadlines, but "sooner rather than later." Obviously, I will drop one of the acceptances soon, but just wondering if there is any official AAMC guideline on this

Any AAMC guideline is just that—a guideline. They are not enforceable. If school A didn’t give you a specific deadline and school B doesn’t have any specific rules, then you don’t have a set number of days. But “sooner rather than later” means they will probably start pinging you if they don’t get an answer within a few days to a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need advice. I am on a ranked waitlist sitting at #2 for my absolute top choice school. It’s my state school and it usually has pretty solid, regular movement between 20-30 spots every year. This year it has only moved 11. My only other acceptance is at the DO school in my state, and it requires a $1500 deposit on May 28. So unless 2 people give up their place within a week, I am faced with a tough decision.

This is my 3rd year applying because the first cycle I only applied to 6 places with subpar ECs, and last year I only applied at the state school while trying to improve on them which landed me on the waitlist but in a much higher spot. I don’t have money to throw around because we just bought a house, so losing $1500 is a really big deal to secure a spot at a school that is far below my first choice. I am so close and I do think I will get pulled of the WL eventually because 40% of the class is still PTE, but also I can’t be absolutely certain that this year isn’t a massive outlier.

Would you guys risk it to save money you don’t have? Or would you somehow take out a loan and make sure you don’t have to apply for a 4th cycle to just end up somewhere you don’t really want to be?

@gyngyn

I imagine a lot of state schools WL really competitive applicants (T20 level people) for yield protection.

Would state schools risk over enrolling if it meant accepting T20 candidates that have strongly motioned that they prefer their state school for geographical reasons.
This happens before an interview, never after.

I need advice. I am on a ranked waitlist sitting at #2 for my absolute top choice school. It’s my state school and it usually has pretty solid, regular movement between 20-30 spots every year. This year it has only moved 11. My only other acceptance is at the DO school in my state, and it requires a $1500 deposit on May 28. So unless 2 people give up their place within a week, I am faced with a tough decision.

This is my 3rd year applying because the first cycle I only applied to 6 places with subpar ECs, and last year I only applied at the state school while trying to improve on them which landed me on the waitlist but in a much higher spot. I don’t have money to throw around because we just bought a house, so losing $1500 is a really big deal to secure a spot at a school that is far below my first choice. I am so close and I do think I will get pulled of the WL eventually because 40% of the class is still PTE, but also I can’t be absolutely certain that this year isn’t a massive outlier.

Would you guys risk it to save money you don’t have? Or would you somehow take out a loan and make sure you don’t have to apply for a 4th cycle to just end up somewhere you don’t really want to be?

I would take out a loan or put it on a credit card with good rewards or something. Just remember that the person who was next on the waitlist when they have stopped taking people every year before this year only needed them to move one more person and probably thought it was a lock too.

Reactions: 3 users

Get a small loan to pay for the deposit at the DO. Consider it hedging your bet because if you have to reapply that's a minimum 2 grand.

You’ll regret taking a 4th cycle much more than you will regret potentially throwing away $1500

1558566661740.png

Definitely worth it to risk the $1500. At least you will have an acceptance. As others have said it will cost you much much more to reapply.

So the part of the reason I think that more waitlist movement will occur later is that many schools are slightly under the number of seats needed to fill their class. The problem is many schools are waiting to see which students get selected off their waitlist, before reformulating their class. Also has others have discussed 4 % of applicants holding multiple acceptances is a lot, I actually know someone right now holding 4 different acceptances. So I don't think gyngyns number applies to all situations.

And out of that 4% holding multiple acceptances, how many of them are holding more than 2, 3, or like you said 4 acceptances. When that person with 4 acceptances chooses, that opens 3 spots. Definitely will still be movement.

I feel like schools are in a good old-fashioned standoff right now waiting to see who makes the first move

Reactions: 15 users
I feel like there’s no large WL movement to come lol. PTEs gonna turn to CTEs. Admits gonna be sad about not getting into their top choice WL and us WL scrubs gonna be sad about not getting in. Sorry for the pessimism guys had a long day lol

Reactions: 14 users
I feel like there’s no large WL movement to come lol. PTEs gonna turn to CTEs. Admits gonna be sad about not getting into their top choice WL and us WL scrubs gonna be sad about not getting in. Sorry for the pessimism guys had a long day lol

Keep your hopes up! There will be movement! Lots of CTE dates coming up.

@gyngyn, has your school accepted fewer people off the waitlist by this point in time than you have historically? if so, can you ballpark the percent difference? (i.e., historically by the end of may you accept 50% off the waitlist, but this year at this time you've accepted 10% off the waitlist)

I want to believe this, but if only 4% of people have multiple acceptances then it's probably wishful thinking.
But some of that 4% may hold say 4 or 5 acceptances. Once they narrow it to 1, that opens up 3 or 4 slots. Those slots are offered to people that
a) will commit and thus open up spot(s) at other schools or
b) go to people that commit because they have no acceptance or
c) they decide to remove themselves from consideration, thus the seat goes to another candidate on the waitlist

Theoretically a cascade could make 10 people happier for a variety of reasons like it being their first acceptance or getting into their school choice i.e. top choice, better school, closer to home, cheaper. So in essence, one person can make 10 others happy by releasing multiple seats

But some of that 4% may hold say 4 or 5 acceptances. Once they narrow it to 1, that opens up 3 or 4 slots. Those slots are offered to people that
a) will commit and thus open up spot(s) at other schools or
b) go to people that commit because they have no acceptance or
c) they decide to remove themselves from consideration, thus the seat goes to another candidate on the waitlist

Theoretically a cascade could make 10 people happier for a variety of reasons like it being their first acceptance or getting into their school choice i.e. top choice, better school, closer to home, cheaper. So in essence, one person can make 10 others happy by releasing multiple seats

tl;dr screw the people with multiple acceptances rn

Reactions: 5 users
I want to believe this, but if only 4% of people have multiple acceptances then it's probably wishful thinking.

California can’t be representative of the rest of the country. almost all of California schools are a bit hard to get into and it’s not easy to get into OOS school, which would probably not be better anyways so why would someone accepted in California continue to hold an acceptance somewhere else that is less optimum? On the other hand there are states that have diverse composition of schools. Some have a mix of cheap and expensive, competitive and non-competitive etc. You could imagine that those who get into a competitive school in home state have probably applied everywhere else in that state and most likely got into multiple. Honestly I have no clue what I’m saying but Im trying to convince myself that I’m onto something lmao

Man, this process seems like it will really screw over people with significant others that need to find a job in a new city, or families that have different housing needs if they don't know until the last possible minute.

Reactions: 10 users

Sorry for the late reply - but at this stage you have a "minimum of 5 business days" according to the amcas guidelines. Wish I could be of more help but at least you have some time to think on it.

"Sooner rather than later" is absolutely hilarious though lol...

Man, this process seems like it will really screw over people with significant others that need to find a job in a new city, or families that have different housing needs if they don't know until the last possible minute.

That’s where I’m at right now. I’m waiting until the end of this month, but then I have to let go of my top choice. It’s just what’s best and most considerate for my family. I heard that my top choice (Florida) over accepted this year anyway. They told a friend of mine on the phone that they don’t have any idea when they’ll get to the waitlist if at all. Super bummed.

• Sad
Drexel MD or Rowan DO PBL ? Got accepted to Drexel MD but also to the PBL stream of Rowan DO. Which one should I pick?

How quick do you guys think we'd be able to find housing in. For instance, if accepted to a school in early July that starts 2-3 weeks after would that be sufficient time to find an available place?

Drexel MD or Rowan DO PBL ? Got accepted to Drexel MD but also to the PBL stream of Rowan DO. Which one should I pick?

SDN has an entire sub forum for asking for help choosing between schools. If you are struggling and want some outside input, I encourage you to post there.

Reactions: 4 users
It can only mean that they grossly underestimated the number needed to fill.
This could either be that their committee was less impressed with the screened candidates or that they screened an inadequate number for interviews at the outset.
After their 5/11 interview date batch, they (CUSM) are sending out another round of interview invites!

Last edited:
  • Wow
That’s where I’m at right now. I’m waiting until the end of this month, but then I have to let go of my top choice. It’s just what’s best and most considerate for my family. I heard that my top choice (Florida) over accepted this year anyway. They told a friend of mine on the phone that they don’t have any idea when they’ll get to the waitlist if at all. Super bummed.
Wait Florida over accepted this year? That's a bummer. I was told from somebody in admissions that they think going to the waitlist is still a very real possibility this cycle...so not sure who to believe

I am 99% confident you will get accepted. I know which school you are referencing. I met with their admissions team last week. It may be a a few weeks, but you will be a part of the fall's class.

okay, I am extremely confused. Everyone is saying that the CTE is just a mere guidline. So what that means is that people will CTE and not withdraw from other schools unless they are forced to (whatever forcing individual medical schools make you do). Therefore this stalemate probably will not even end around the CTE dates because again it is just a guideline and people can remain on waitlists, and schools can still accept people who have CTEd. so therefore this stalemate will never end and PTE will just turn into CTE

I am 99% confident you will get accepted. I know which school you are referencing. I met with their admissions team last week. It may be a a few weeks, but you will be a part of the fall's class.
As reassuring as this is and all, I would still recommend that @EmbracetheKace make the deposit on May 27 or 28 at the DO school if nothing has been heard back from the MD school by then.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.