This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too :/. Any idea how you’re gonna rewrite your essay?
Going by your profile pic. I would do a multi shadow clone jutsu and each one writes an essay, then pick the best one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
honestly I am not a big fan of reddit. I think it is really hard to navigate through. I think it is not as well organized as SDN

Diehard reddit fans say exactly the opposite. They don’t like the fact that SDN doesn’t put replies under the comment/post that was being replied to.

Reactions: 1 users
Going by your profile pic. I would do a multi shadow clone jutsu and each one writes an essay, then pick the best one.
about to summon a frog to write this b*tch for me

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Or you could just ask the super gramps frog if he had a dream of you getting accepted next year. Would make life a lot easier

Or in interviews use the sharingan to ensure an acceptance

Reactions: 1 user
hey guys, just needed somewhere to vent. all of my interviews resulted in a waitlist, and I'm on 3 MD waitlists and 1 DO waitlist. I was cautiously optimistic I would get off of at least one, but each day I'm slowly losing hope haha. this process sucks.

Damn I feel you man. If you don't mind me asking, many DO schools did you apply to?

Feel you buddy. Went in thinking I was a strong applicant and crushed the interviews. Now sitting with 2 waitlists. I accepted the fact I'm not getting in this year and just looking forward to next cycle.

Right there with you. What I've learned through this process though is that there are SO MANY of us and we're all really qualified and that makes chance and good fortune matter a ton. All we can do is do our best earnestly and stay dedicated. Best of luck to you

I wish AMCAS would give twitter updates about how many people have at least one acceptance nationally

@gyngyn

Do additional letters of rec from med school faculty members (especially from institution you are waitlisted at) have any effect at this point?

Hey guys! Anyone here getting ready to reapply? I'm on 2 waitlists and have very quickly lost hope. Does anyone know how they're going to rewrite their statement? I'm very stuck on this. I really have no idea how to start my new one.
Hey for me my plan is to kind of re-frame my why medicine question using new experiences as evidence. It’s a tough task for sure but hopefully you have some new experiences you can relate to past experiences.

Also in general when I’m writing I just brain dump and edit later. That’s how you get the framework done.

Diehard reddit fans say exactly the opposite. They don’t like the fact that SDN doesn’t put replies under the comment/post that was being replied to.
Reddit is awesome. It takes a while to get used to. You have to subscribe to subreddits that interest you and you can customize your newsfeed. There’s endless funny/cool content on there.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, just needed somewhere to vent. all of my interviews resulted in a waitlist, and I'm on 3 MD waitlists and 1 DO waitlist. I was cautiously optimistic I would get off of at least one, but each day I'm slowly losing hope haha. this process sucks.
I think a lot of us are in the same boat. I feel your struggle! I’m currently working on re-applying next cycle just in case my WL doesn’t come through.

My sister is graduating HS on Saturday and we have a celebration for that on Sunday. Man it is gonna suck so bad when my old hs teachers and various family friends ask me what I am up to and I have to be like "well I'm on a waitlist, statistically speaking my chances of getting in are probably <10% at this point and I have no plan for what else I'm going to do." Obviously not gonna be quite that candid but still.

It'd be much easier to say "I'm going to med school in the fall." It's gonna be so embarrassing, I wish I could just run away for two days and skip those two events. Everyone else is going somewhere in life, hell most people on /r/premed and on here are into at least one school, and I'm gonna be having to make small talk about being a failure the whole weekend...

Chin up, life is a marathon not a sprint. You won’t even remember this event 5 years in the future when you are a doctor/in medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
I've been lurking this thread after being placed on a waitlist in March and can't believe I get to post this..... I'M ACCEPTED! This is my second cycle applying and after being waitlisted last cycle and this cycle I'm finally in!!!

I'm sending much luck to the rest of you- I'm hoping you all get great news very soon!!!

• Love
Reactions: 38 users
I've been lurking this thread after being placed on a waitlist in March and can't believe I get to post this..... I'M ACCEPTED! This is my second cycle applying and after being waitlisted last cycle and this cycle I'm finally in!!!

I'm sending much luck to the rest of you- I'm hoping you all get great news very soon!!!
CONGRATS TO YOU!!! did you get a call today....what a nice start to memorial day weekend:)

My sister is graduating HS on Saturday and we have a celebration for that on Sunday. Man it is gonna suck so bad when my old hs teachers and various family friends ask me what I am up to and I have to be like "well I'm on a waitlist, statistically speaking my chances of getting in are probably <10% at this point and I have no plan for what else I'm going to do." Obviously not gonna be quite that candid but still.

It'd be much easier to say "I'm going to med school in the fall." It's gonna be so embarrassing, I wish I could just run away for two days and skip those two events. Everyone else is going somewhere in life, hell most people on /r/premed and on here are into at least one school, and I'm gonna be having to make small talk about being a failure the whole weekend...

Just look two posts below your original - that person went through exactly what you're facing right now and it ended up working out just fine. You're definitely not alone - hell some people apply to 3/4 cycles before getting an A. There's always a down side but at the same time there's always a bright side too - why not choose the latter?

And if you truly don't want to tell people this weekend, just say you're in the process of applying to medical school. Not many negative things that can be said about that!

Reactions: 5 users

"Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded." Batman

Reactions: 2 users

Firstly, you are not a failure. Some people don't even get interview invites for med school. The fact that you received a medical school interview means you have what it takes. Keep your head up.

Lastly, you may not even have to engage in small talk this weekend just simply say "It's late in the cycle but I'm still waiting to hear from a school. Keep your fingers crossed for me." Keep it simple and move on. I think we underestimate the fact that a lot of people DO know how hard the process of getting into medical school is.

Reactions: 8 users

I understand the pain, people constantly ask me about it. But, if you run away from it, it's like you're running away from reality and refusing to accept what happened. Accepting failure will help you grow and realize your weaknesses. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

But, yes, the world is cruel

That moment when people are being accepted off the wait list and your phone is silent.o_O:(:rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 users
I got an email to call actually!! Thank you so much!!!
How unique.....take time to celebrate such an exciting moment:) I feel like getting off the waitlist is so rare on a Friday because it is too good to be true because one, like yourself, has the weekend to celebrate!

Firstly, you are not a failure. Some people don't even get interview invites for med school. The fact that you received a medical school interview means you have what it takes. Keep your head up.

Lastly, you may not even have to engage in small talk this weekend just simply say "It's late in the cycle but I'm still waiting to hear from a school. Keep your fingers crossed for me." Keep it simple and move on. I think we underestimate the fact that a lot of people DO know how hard the process of getting into medical school is.
I kind of agree with this, but honestly so many people don't understand the process. I have to explain myself every single time and its gets tiring. Every sunday I have people at church asking me if I know where I'm going yet and its exhausting because I honestly have no idea.

Congrats, and was this Stony Brook?

And if you truly don't want to tell people this weekend, just say you're in the process of applying to medical school. Not many negative things that can be said about that!

Unless it’s followed by an series of endless questions and you eventually have to reveal that you’ve been applying for an entire year and only have a waitlist position to show for it LOL

I’m not disregarding the rest of what you said!!!!

@gyngyn

Do additional letters of rec from med school faculty members (especially from institution you are waitlisted at) have any effect at this point?
If the person is a full-time faculty member who is well-known to the committee, a call to the admissions dean might have a small effect.
At this point, depending on the stratum to which you have sorted, that is the most that can be expected.

Feel you buddy. Went in thinking I was a strong applicant and crushed the interviews. Now sitting with 2 waitlists. I accepted the fact I'm not getting in this year and just looking forward to next cycle.
+1
i guess it's just that much more competitive this year :\

June's already creeping up. Crazy. Enjoy your memorial day weekend all. Try to take your mind off the process?

There’s no longer a stigma of retaking the MCAT (compared to before).
I wouldn't go that far!
In fact, I would go so far as to say that (at some schools) where fewer and fewer "multiples" are interviewed, the committee's eyebrows are raised when one comes through.

I wouldn't go that far!
In fact, I would go so far as to say that (at some schools) where fewer and fewer "multiples" are interviewed, the committee's eyebrows are raised when one comes through.

It definitely varies school by school. A lot of schools have moved towards just weighing the highest if it’s the most recent one.

I remember the dean of admissions at Hopkins saying “if you have to take it two or even three times, it’s fine”.

Overall, I do believe the stigma is dying down at a significant number of schools. But as always, you know better that I do gyngyn!

I remember the dean of admissions at Hopkins saying “if you have to take it two or even three times, it’s fine”.
What folks say in a meeting is often at odds with what happens behind closed doors!
They want to appear inclusive in public.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
I wouldn't go that far!

I honestly feel like that's unfair to lower SES students....

-not everyone has parents who can pay for them to take 3 months off of work
-not everyone can afford the 3 grand test prep courses
-many people have to work the entire time that they are studying

I get that you can only take step 1 once and that you should nail the mcat the first time, but adcoms need to seriously stop being so callous towards poor students...

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Status
Not open for further replies.