May 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
You really just have to focus on the rest of your life. If you keep checking your email every 20 minutes, you're going to be full of disappointment, and that's not even to say that you won't eventually get the school you're looking for! Just have to focus on other important aspects of your life and if it is going to happen, it will. Worrying more will not change it. Stay positive, everything happens for a reason!
Been struggling with this myself lately. Its really good advice, just hard to execute.

Oct 3, 2017
I really, really think so too, but the stakes of the gamble are high. Man, doesn't it suck that this particular year they decided to change things? I think we'd both be in if there wasn't this whole confusion and mess delaying nationwide movement. Hopefully in 3 months time we can complain about lack of sleep from studying rather than from worrying about getting admitted lol.
Id love for this scenario to play out!

Reactions: shartastic23
Aug 27, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
How quick do you guys think we'd be able to find housing in. For instance, if accepted to a school in early July that starts 2-3 weeks after would that be sufficient time to find an available place?
The determining factor(s) breakdown to how much money you want to spend and how picky you are with location/quality.

If you have a realistic budget for the area plus another 10-20%, you could probably get into a place within a day or two. If you are going to be nickle and dime housing to adhere to a strict budget, you may have to spend more time finding the place that fits your wallet.

Same for quality and location. To be right next to a university in decent housing, there may be some competition. Conversely, if you are cool living in a shed on the other side of the railroad tracks, you could find a place quickly.

If you have realistic expectations with those factors, you could probably get into a place within a few days. Being willing to compromise in any one area will most likely help.

saratonin

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2016
Ok neurotic question here:

I’m on three waitlists and two of them call if you get off. But I’m in Europe right now (for the next month) and I’m afraid I might not get the phone call if they happened to call me. They would send an email if they can’t get me by phone, correct??

Reactions: camp4sends
May 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok neurotic question here:

I’m on three waitlists and two of them call if you get off. But I’m in Europe right now (for the next month) and I’m afraid I might not get the phone call if they happened to call me. They would send an email if they can’t get me by phone, correct??
yes; however, you should at some point make sure to have access to WIFI so you can respond in a timely manner.

Reactions: ivva5363

WildWing

CRG Project Management
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2009
Status
Non-Student
I didn’t say it did. He made a joke about exercising his first amendment rights, and I joked back pointing out that the first amendment doesn’t apply to private entities with a winky face. It was a light-hearted interaction.
Sorry, I wasn't clear! I didn't think anyone was really concerned - just wanted to let people know about our TOS since you can't understand tone well on the internet.

Apr 8, 2019
Status
Veterinarian
Okay I'll bite the bullet and be impoverished for a while. AAMC, WHY DO YOU HURT ME SO???
In the grand scheme of things, the $1500 (think of it as career protection insurance) will be a drop in the bucket compared with the cost of your medical education and also your career earnings once you’re out of residency. It’s really a no-brainer.

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
You really just have to focus on the rest of your life. If you keep checking your email every 20 minutes, you're going to be full of disappointment, and that's not even to say that you won't eventually get the school you're looking for! Just have to focus on other important aspects of your life and if it is going to happen, it will. Worrying more will not change it. Stay positive, everything happens for a reason!
But it's so hard to doooooo! LOL

Seriously, I'm feeling like that person too. Since this month, I've been getting stomach aches almost every day :(((((

Apr 15, 2019
Status
Man, this process seems like it will really screw over people with significant others that need to find a job in a new city, or families that have different housing needs if they don't know until the last possible minute.
This is my current state.. I have a spot at a DO school in Chicago and I'm WL at my two state schools. If i got into my top choice, my husband could keep his job and we only have to move about an hour south. But there is no way of knowing where we'll end up so it makes the job hunt so hard.

• Sad
Reactions: wholeheartedly

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
I keep saying to my partner I wish I had my life together a year earlier!
Yo, I should've married or moved in with my partner a year earlier than I did and I probably would've been able to apply earlier! The only reason I could do it now is because I had someone helping me with rent. I've done the math and before we lived together, AT BEST I would've only been go to one interview. Ugh...I feel ya.

May 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical, Pre-Psychology
After three years of applying I can finally say that I have been accepted! Totally had an ugly cry!
Yay!!!!!!! I am so happy to hear this! With that much resilience and hard work, you deserve it :) I'm barely able to pick myself up from the ground after being placed on an alternate list this year. It gives me hope to keep moving forward and trying again when I'm ready (probably next cycle, kudos to you all who are able to make those quick moves). Which school will you be attending?

Jul 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys! Anyone here getting ready to reapply? I'm on 2 waitlists and have very quickly lost hope. Does anyone know how they're going to rewrite their statement? I'm very stuck on this. I really have no idea how to start my new one.

M&L

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Jul 23, 2018
Status
It’s basically a website where people can post about any topic, with different groups and threads based on each topic and millions of users. Good way to waste time, and it has a premed forum. It’s anonymous like sdn but far less formal. :)
honestly I am not a big fan of reddit. I think it is really hard to navigate through. I think it is not as well organized as SDN

VTDSPMed

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
hey guys, just needed somewhere to vent. all of my interviews resulted in a waitlist, and I'm on 3 MD waitlists and 1 DO waitlist. I was cautiously optimistic I would get off of at least one, but each day I'm slowly losing hope haha. this process sucks.
Feel you buddy. Went in thinking I was a strong applicant and crushed the interviews. Now sitting with 2 waitlists. I accepted the fact I'm not getting in this year and just looking forward to next cycle.

Jul 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Feel you buddy. Went in thinking I was a strong applicant and crushed the interviews. Now sitting with 2 waitlists. I accepted the fact I'm not getting in this year and just looking forward to next cycle.
Me too :/. Any idea how you’re gonna rewrite your essay?

Reactions: reddre
Jul 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Going by your profile pic. I would do a multi shadow clone jutsu and each one writes an essay, then pick the best one.
about to summon a frog to write this b*tch for me

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018
Or you could just ask the super gramps frog if he had a dream of you getting accepted next year. Would make life a lot easier

Or in interviews use the sharingan to ensure an acceptance

Reactions: iegloy
Nov 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
hey guys, just needed somewhere to vent. all of my interviews resulted in a waitlist, and I'm on 3 MD waitlists and 1 DO waitlist. I was cautiously optimistic I would get off of at least one, but each day I'm slowly losing hope haha. this process sucks.
Damn I feel you man. If you don't mind me asking, many DO schools did you apply to?

Right there with you. What I've learned through this process though is that there are SO MANY of us and we're all really qualified and that makes chance and good fortune matter a ton. All we can do is do our best earnestly and stay dedicated. Best of luck to you

Reactions: JPM2012
Feb 28, 2019
@gyngyn

Do additional letters of rec from med school faculty members (especially from institution you are waitlisted at) have any effect at this point?