This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Placed on a priority alternate list and a high priority alternate list for the 2 schools I interviewed at....

Super nervous and worried but holding out hope!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Placed on a priority alternate list and a high priority alternate list for the 2 schools I interviewed at....

Super nervous and worried but holding out hope!
I like how they say 'priority' and 'high priority'! That sounds real hopeful even though I don't know anything about it :)

Reactions: 1 user
Any advice on doing well on IIs? This late in the cycle will be tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice on doing well on IIs? This late in the cycle will be tough.

What kind of interview is it? Traditional or MMI?

Practice for interviews with a friend or family member. There are always common questions, like why medicine, tell me about yourself, why this school, etc. You don't have to memorize your answers, but practicing will help you feel more confident, at least in my experience lol. Also know your application. I would go over your AMCAS activities sections, because you could get a question about an EC.

Last, but not least, have faith in yourself! I know getting an interview this late may seem rare, but if a school is taking the time to interview you, it is because they saw you have potential and something worth contributing to their program.

Good luck!

Joining this thread with 1 WL, 1 defer and still waiting on 1 post II decision. Pretty sad since I'm already a reapplicant and may need to apply another time for the upcoming cycle. :(

Reactions: 6 users
What kind of interview is it? Traditional or MMI?

Practice for interviews with a friend or family member. There are always common questions, like why medicine, tell me about yourself, why this school, etc. You don't have to memorize your answers, but practicing will help you feel more confident, at least in my experience lol. Also know your application. I would go over your AMCAS activities sections, because you could get a question about an EC.

Last, but not least, have faith in yourself! I know getting an interview this late may seem rare, but if a school is taking the time to interview you, it is because they saw you have potential and something worth contributing to their program.

Good luck!
Thanks! I have 3 more as I only applied DO but the DO cycle goes later.

One is a group and then 1-on-1 interview. The other is 1-on-1 interview. I'm hoping I don't have to go to the last interview

One is a group and then 1-on-1 interview. The other is 1-on-1 interview. I'm hoping I don't have to go to the last interview

Best of luck man!

Reactions: 1 users
Joining this thread with 1 WL, 1 defer and still waiting on 1 post II decision. Pretty sad since I'm already a reapplicant and may need to apply another time for the upcoming cycle. :(
Good luck! Never give up :)

Reactions: 2 users
Checking in after finally getting the WL notice from my state school today. Still waiting for another school, and that's probably a rejection or a waitlist at best.

The waiting game goes on for me.

Keep up hope guys!! I was put on the WL for the only school I interviewed at, but come May hopefully things will work out for all of us!:p

Reactions: 7 users

Group interview should be interesting - I wonder what sorts of questions they will ask. My advice would be to be curious. All too often in groups it feels like people aren't listening - instead they are waiting for their chance to speak and thinking about what they will say.

I would say have strong answers for why medicine, tell me about yourself, your biggest failure/struggle, and why that school. Besides that have some interesting things about yourself you can talk about (unique things you did, things you are passionate about, what you want to hear more about at the school).

WL from my only post-II and am pretty bummed. Apparently the previous years there was minimal WL movement at this school but was wondering how might the rule change affect WL movement this year? There was some speculation in that thread but no real consensus.

For context this school also said most WL decisions are made from June - July

Been a rough week. Got a post interview R and a WL to an IS school that shows a 70% acceptance rate (idk if that includes the waitlist movement). That would mean I have 1 A, 3 WL, 1 R post interview. Anybody else feel like their interview skills must suck with all these WLs? I feel like the only reason I was accepted was because my interviewer and I had a lot in common and it wasnt a "qualified" acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Been a rough week. Got a post interview R and a WL to an IS school that shows a 70% acceptance rate (idk if that includes the waitlist movement). That would mean I have 1 A, 3 WL, 1 R post interview. Anybody else feel like their interview skills must suck with all these WLs? I feel like the only reason I was accepted was because my interviewer and I had a lot in common and it wasnt a "qualified" acceptance.

Sorry to hear about your recent WL - I also got the alternate list for a low-tier MD that accepts ~70% acceptance rate. Definitely hurts. I am hoping there will be a fair amount of WL movement... but it's tough to tell.

That being said... you already got accepted somewhere! Congrats! Any medical school acceptance is worth celebrating... and I'm sure it was well earned.

An acceptance is an acceptance. If you weren’t qualified you wouldn’t have gotten in.

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry to hear about your recent WL - I also got the alternate list for a low-tier MD that accepts ~70% acceptance rate. Definitely hurts. I am hoping there will be a fair amount of WL movement... but it's tough to tell.

That being said... you already got accepted somewhere! Congrats! Any medical school acceptance is worth celebrating... and I'm sure it was well earned.
Thanks. Im still happy about the acceptance but WL at the 2 IS schools that interviewed me which were appealing because of their cost. The 1 school has decent movement but the other says 35 of the 200 get off. Im trying to weigh my options and decide if I should send a letter of intent to any of the WL schools but idk which one yet.

Thanks. Im still happy about the acceptance but WL at the 2 IS schools that interviewed me which were appealing because of their cost. The 1 school has decent movement but the other says 35 of the 200 get off. Im trying to weigh my options and decide if I should send a letter of intent to any of the WL schools but idk which one yet.

Don’t send a letter of intent unless it’s actually your number one. You have to weigh all the factors, including cost. Since you have an acceptance, it is worth sending a letter. That shows you’re not just begging for a spot.

I am in a similar spot. I have 1 A, 3WLs and 1 R also and I keep second guessing whether or not it was just luck or something. I like to think that because of the new traffic rules they just WL more people to be safe. I am happy with my acceptance but one of my WL is a state school that is the closest I could possibly be to home and of course in-state tuition would be nice. You got in somewhere so I'm sure you are more than qualified! We just need to wait until after April and hope for the best! I'm sure everything will work out fine or at least that's what I am hoping lol.

I am in a similar spot. I have 1 A, 3WLs and 1 R also and I keep second guessing whether or not it was just luck or something. I like to think that because of the new traffic rules they just WL more people to be safe. I am happy with my acceptance but one of my WL is a state school that is the closest I could possibly be to home and of course in-state tuition would be nice. You got in somewhere so I'm sure you are more than qualified! We just need to wait until after April and hope for the best! I'm sure everything will work out fine or at least that's what I am hoping lol.
Yeah my acceptance is a low tier private school and when compared to the IS schools where im on the WL, idk if the price difference is worth it (tho its in a much more fun city with better research opportunities). The bf and I have been talking more lately about us having to do long distance which sucks but its too early to see how things pan out.

Yeah my acceptance is a low tier private school and when compared to the IS schools where im on the WL, idk if the price difference is worth it (tho its in a much more fun city with better research opportunities). The bf and I have been talking more lately about us having to do long distance which sucks but its too early to see how things pan out.
That sounds a lot like my situation... don’t forget - it is still early . Don’t give up . Waitlist movement should start in 4-6 weeks

Reactions: 3 users

wait and see how it turns out. but if you don't get off the waitlist, you are still accepted. to think it is not worth it because of the price is very unwise. I hope you're not thinking of letting it go because of price or other personal factors because you might not get it again.

wait and see how it turns out. but if you don't get off the waitlist, you are still accepted. to think it is not worth it because of the price is very unwise. I hope you're not thinking of letting it go because of price or other personal factors because you might not get it again.
Oh no I def wont let it go if its my only one lol. Im on the WL of a school thats even more expensive and pending decision from another thats even MORE expensive (OOS public school surcharge). Just saying if I get into an IS school, the cost difference may be a consideration but if I get into the 2 I just mentioned then its not a huge factor since they are all similar price.

Update: Just received a post-II rejection. That leaves one waitlist and one yet to hear back. My hope is dwindling.

Update: Just received a post-II rejection. That leaves one waitlist and one yet to hear back. My hope is dwindling.

I'm sorry to hear that :(
I know the feeling - I am exactly where you are right now. I'm rooting for you!!

so i just asked one of the academic advisors i really look up to, what school I should choose if i get off the waitlists.... I was asking him, HOW do i even decide that, And he just said that maybe i am not ready to go to medical school, maybe i am not mature enough "if i am inclined to worry about what others advise". honestly, this really upset me. Sorry if this is off topic a bit... I just thought that me asking for advice from people who are more experienced IS a sign of maturity... This is potentially one of the most important decisions of my life....

So, now, i addition to being upset about the schools, i am also upset about "not being mature".... FML :)

so i just asked one of the academic advisors i really look up to, what school I should choose if i get off the waitlists.... I was asking him, HOW do i even decide that, And he just said that maybe i am not ready to go to medical school, maybe i am not mature enough "if i am inclined to worry about what others advise". honestly, this really upset me. Sorry if this is off topic a bit... I just thought that me asking for advice from people who are more experienced IS a sign of maturity... This is potentially one of the most important decisions of my life....

So, now, i addition to being upset about the schools, i am also upset about "not being mature".... FML :)

Yeah that’s stupid. Maybe they were having a bad day or something.

Reactions: 2 users

Lmao. I had a similar situation where I asked my former employer (doctor) who happened to be a faculty in one of the schools I am waitlisted at if he had any advice for something I could do to increase my chance and he goes “you could’ve pumped your resume had you done research with me but you never followed up”

I asked for advice and got slapped lol

Lmao. I had a similar situation where I asked my former employer (doctor) who happened to be a faculty in one of the schools I am waitlisted at if he had any advice for something I could do to increase my chance and he goes “you could’ve pumped your resume had you done research with me but you never followed up”

And those are the reasons why I am not looking forward to working with doctors and having them as my peers. The doctors I work with aren't friendly, they are demeaning, and really turn me off from the profession. But I am passionate about the patient and I want to change the stigma that doctors are jerks, and they can actually treat coworkers and patients with respect (mind you, I'm not saying they are all like that).

Lol vs my PI who said “let me know what I can do to help” and it got nowhere (which he was mad about) and then vents about the US medical school system cuz he’s from Germany and just had a daughter go through the match last year and he thinks everything is crazy over here. And thinks our school doesn’t have its priorities straight when it comes to admissions (a T30 school). He also told me “use this anger and have it carry you through medical school, do well, have a solid app, make them want you, and then rank them last”. Petty level strong

Does the AAMC background check apply to waitlisted applicants, or is that gonna wait until you actually get accepted?

Also do waitlisted applicants usually start working on the immunizations and stuff pre acceptance? Just to avoid the headache of scrambling to get these requirements done in the (hopeful!) event you get accepted late?

No system is ever close to perfect, we need to take our frustrations to make it work better

3 WL's too and crushed especially when everyone at my office has an acceptance

Does the AAMC background check apply to waitlisted applicants, or is that gonna wait until you actually get accepted?

Also do waitlisted applicants usually start working on the immunizations and stuff pre acceptance? Just to avoid the headache of scrambling to get these requirements done in the (hopeful!) event you get accepted late?
The background check doesn’t take long . Neither does immunization records (if you have actually immunizations done ). Both of those things can be done pretty quickly . Fingerprinting is what takes a long time .

USNWR 2019 rankings recently came out. It’ll be interesting to see what effect it has on WL movement

The schools will ask you for these things after you’re accepted. The background check takes like a day to a week depending on how many addresses you have, and immunization records or titers takes a day or two. You can get that stuff done in a few days. No need to worry.

i realized today that i am REALLY stressed out. The stress of admission cycle is getting to me.... It will sound really weird... The thing is that this is my THIRD YEAR of applying. And i guess i sort of got into that set of mind as "perpetual pre-med", and now, this year, i suddenly get accepted... I mean, i worked very hard for it, and my ECs and stats are solid, but still. When you apply for 3 years in a row, you start thinking about "Plan B... and plan C". You start thinking that you are not good enough... especially if you are an immigrant it REALLY gets into your head. And then suddenly i get accepted. Into several schools. And one part of me is SO EXCITED, and so proud, but the other part of me is now terrified of making the wrong decision, because i have been waiting for it for so long.

I am stressed out about school, taking advanced anatomy and physiology and biochemistry II with lab, graduating in May. I am stressed out about needing to move in just a few month, and not knowing WHERE... (i have no idea what school i will end up going to at this point)... I am stressed out about my job (i work in addiction treatment facility), and not making enough money for the move. I am stressed out about my current relationship, - he is not moving with me, and he is very heartbroken... And i hate to be feeling like i am "the evil one" for moving to go to medical school. I am stressed out about being in bad shape (stress-eating got me to gain a lot of weight, and i am struggling with confidence issues now and my sister IS A MODEL - no pressure). I am stressed out about something bad happening to me, and me not having anyone to rely on. This is crazy.

but MOST OF ALL i am stressed out about the TWO DAMN WAITLISTS... that just happen to be in my top two choices:))). I know that i must sound like a real jerk to someone who doesnt have any acceptances right now, - i am sorry. I really dont mean to. I know how tough it is to just wait... But still, i think we are all in a stressful spot right now, - people who are in "limbo" one way or another.

I am not writing this to complain. I am writing this for two reasons: first of all, for that poor sole out there who feels the same way, but thinks that everyone is feeling great, and you are the only one who doesnt. TRUST ME, i think majority of people here are experiencing some sort of negative feelings/anxiety/fears about all of this. You are not alone!

Secondly, - i want to let you guys know that I realized that i cannot really live like this anymore. This constant psychological pressure is not normal. And i am GRATEFUL that i feel this now, before medical school starts, so that i can change my stress-coping mechanisms.
so this is what i am planning to do starting tomorrow (maybe it will help someone, too):
1) till May 10th i prohibit myself from thinking about the waitlists. PROHIBIT.
2) I will make a decision based on current acceptances, and process into the school (paperwork and stuff), and whatever happens happens
3) i am going to commit to sleeping at least 7 hours a day
4) i am changing my eating habits
5) i am changing my exercising habits.
6) i am going to do some exercising every day, - starting small, just 15 min a day, and building on that.
7) every night and every morning i will list all the things that i am grateful for, so that in the midst of all this craziness i do not forget how lucky i am and how hard i worked for this.

Done.

Reactions: 9 users
i realized today that i am REALLY stressed out. The stress of admission cycle is getting to me.... It will sound really weird... The thing is that this is my THIRD YEAR of applying. And i guess i sort of got into that set of mind as "perpetual pre-med", and now, this year, i suddenly get accepted... I mean, i worked very hard for it, and my ECs and stats are solid, but still. When you apply for 3 years in a row, you start thinking about "Plan B... and plan C". You start thinking that you are not good enough... especially if you are an immigrant it REALLY gets into your head. And then suddenly i get accepted. Into several schools. And one part of me is SO EXCITED, and so proud, but the other part of me is now terrified of making the wrong decision, because i have been waiting for it for so long.

I am stressed out about school, taking advanced anatomy and physiology and biochemistry II with lab, graduating in May. I am stressed out about needing to move in just a few month, and not knowing WHERE... (i have no idea what school i will end up going to at this point)... I am stressed out about my job (i work in addiction treatment facility), and not making enough money for the move. I am stressed out about my current relationship, - he is not moving with me, and he is very heartbroken... And i hate to be feeling like i am "the evil one" for moving to go to medical school. I am stressed out about being in bad shape (stress-eating got me to gain a lot of weight, and i am struggling with confidence issues now and my sister IS A MODEL - no pressure). I am stressed out about something bad happening to me, and me not having anyone to rely on. This is crazy.

but MOST OF ALL i am stressed out about the TWO DAMN WAITLISTS... that just happen to be in my top two choices:))). I know that i must sound like a real jerk to someone who doesnt have any acceptances right now, - i am sorry. I really dont mean to. I know how tough it is to just wait... But still, i think we are all in a stressful spot right now, - people who are in "limbo" one way or another.

I am not writing this to complain. I am writing this for two reasons: first of all, for that poor sole out there who feels the same way, but thinks that everyone is feeling great, and you are the only one who doesnt. TRUST ME, i think majority of people here are experiencing some sort of negative feelings/anxiety/fears about all of this. You are not alone!

Secondly, - i want to let you guys know that I realized that i cannot really live like this anymore. This constant psychological pressure is not normal. And i am GRATEFUL that i feel this now, before medical school starts, so that i can change my stress-coping mechanisms.
so this is what i am planning to do starting tomorrow (maybe it will help someone, too):
2) I will make a decision based on current acceptances, and process into the school (paperwork and stuff), and whatever happens happens
6) i am going to do some exercising every day, - starting small, just 15 min a day, and building on that.
7) every night and every morning i will list all the things that i am grateful for, so that in the midst of all this craziness i do not forget how lucky i am and how hard i worked for this.

Done.
John 11:35

No the strong financial aid program is not at my state school (it's at one of my waitlists) - although my state school is fairly inexpensive so that is at least good.

No I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood my question (or I worded it poorly)! I was asking if the school with the strong financial aid program is in the same state as the state school. I know it's a WL school that has the strong financial aid program-but is that school in the same state as your state school?

No I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood my question (or I worded it poorly)! I was asking if the school with the strong financial aid program is in the same state as the state school. I know it's a WL school that has the strong financial aid program-but is that school in the same state as your state school?
Oops I didn't understand - no the WL with the strong financial aid is in NY and the state school is MD

Done.
I’m also on two top choice waitlists and have 1 acceptance. I completely empathize with tha. WL movement will occur in April before May 10th though

Aaaannndd just hit with my final decision... a WL. 2 WL at low-yield schools. This should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.