2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pardon, you asked for which group I was in, could you be a bit more specific? I was in group Green, sat in the front... during the presentations. Taking a stab at your question preemptively.
sorry! That is exactly what I meant :) Just curious if I had gotten to speak with you! I was in pink though, so maybe not :)

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew my application today. Got accepted to my state MD school. Interviewed Dec 1st. Good luck everyone!

Pardon, you asked for which group I was in, could you be a bit more specific? I was in group Green, sat in the front... during the presentations. Taking a stab at your question preemptively.

Ayy a fellow group greener! And congrats DMP! Were you an OOS applicant to Comp?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete August 3rd and have heard nothing so I'm assuming its just a silent rejection.

Or interview waitlist. They have one they will only tell you if you in call though. I’m on that list but very few interview dates left.. not getting my hopes up

Can any current student tell me more about the longitudinal track options? Specifically the lifestyle medicine track.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Can any current student tell me more about the longitudinal track options? Specifically the lifestyle medicine track.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

So there’s a bunch of different options that you can choose from including lifestyle med, global health, longitudinal care, applied anatomy, rural health, and probably one or two others I can’t remember off the top of my head. During the first six or so weeks of school they all have an info session so you can decide which one you want to apply for. All have some really cool things you can get involved in so you can’t really go wrong with any of them. Specifically for lifestyle med (keep in mind I’m not actually in this track) I know you do a lot with nutrition and education. Like one of my colleagues actually designed and conducted a cooking class for her capstone project and another worked with a walking group in the local community. You have freedom to kinda make the track what you want. But lifestyle med is huge here and really important so you’ll get a lot of exposure even if you’re not in the track. Hope that helps a bit. Maybe someone actually in the track will chime in.

Also to those that have been accepted and are planning on attending... welcome to the family!!

To those still waiting... keep on fighting! I know and appreciate how long this process is. It’ll be worth it in the end!

For anyone who has been accepted and paid their first deposit, how long did it take for you to receive your WesternU email account?

Did you get assigned your email yet? I paid the deposit a while ago...

sorry to be a pain, all. I have a deposit due tomorrow, but comp is my #1 . Think it is okay to call tomorrow morning if I don't hear, just to see if I can get an update?

sorry to be a pain, all. I have a deposit due tomorrow, but comp is my #1. Think it is okay to call tomorrow morning if I don't hear, just to see if I can get an update?

If I were you, I'd give them a full 2 weeks to give out acceptances. Any day before the 2-week mark (as they told you at the end of your interview) would potentially make you sound a bit less professional. I'd call first thing Monday morning, a few hours after the work day started (usually people have Monday morning meetings and stuff) and ask for a decision. Express that the school is your #1 again, to everyone that answered your calls.

I called them a few times because my secondary was completed super late (almost the end of October). Every time I call I have 2 or 3 sentences prepared, like an elevator pitch to express my strong interest. Consider doing that and keep it super short. English is not my first language (I lived in the US for 10 years so far) so nothing comes "naturally", so I have to emphasize the importance of preparation.

There is still time.

Best of luck!

:( waitlisted. Hopefully there’s a lot of movement!

Members don't see this ad :)
:( waitlisted. Hopefully there’s a lot of movement!

Would still LOVE to have you in the 2019 class with me! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! Do email them every few months or so! I think a lot of students who are still holding on to their spots are going to slowly release their spots because deposits are due like a month after the acceptance. There is hope!

Would still LOVE to have you in the 2019 class with me! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! Do email them every few months or so! I think a lot of students who are still holding on to their spots are going to slowly release their spots because deposits are due like a month after the acceptance. There is hope!
That is what I am hoping for!! Though on the link they sent, it sounds like alternates aren't considered until March when the cycle wraps up. But, I am not losing hope! Maybe they will do it sooner.

Just a little unsure what to email about :)

Thank you! I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be joining you next fall.

That is what I am hoping for!! Though on the link they sent, it sounds like alternates aren't considered until March when the cycle wraps up. But, I am not losing hope! Maybe they will do it sooner.

Just a little unsure what to email about :)

Thank you! I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be joining you next fall.

Withdrew my acceptance, maybe it’ll go to you

Reactions: 1 users
Officially withdrew my acceptance

Officially withdrew my acceptance as well. Best of luck to everyone!

Has anyone from the alternate list been accepted yet? Or know if it is possible before EOC.

@sprinter16 Hey I have a couple questions. Does comp NW has a regional preference for its applicants? And are the rotations actually as good as they say? In the schools website it say that most of the rotations take place in some of the biggest hospitals in Oregon, how accurate is that? Also how is the new curriculum looks like so far? Thanks!

@sprinter16 Hey I have a couple questions. Does comp NW has a regional preference for its applicants? And are the rotations actually as good as they say? In the schools website it say that most of the rotations take place in some of the biggest hospitals in Oregon, how accurate is that? Also how is the new curriculum looks like so far? Thanks!

Hey! Good questions. Let me do my best to answer them.
1) COMP-NW I would say has almost an unofficial bias. They like people from the northwest for sure but there are plenty of people in the class from out of state and even out of this region (think east coast).
2) As far as how good the rotations are I can’t definitely answer that since I don’t start them for another six months. But I’ve certainly heard good things from a lot of my third year friends as far as how much they have gotten to do! Even the more rural rotations have been popular. I’m certainly excited to start.
3) Rotation location depends on what’s available. Core sites are Tacoma, Portland, Astoria, Salem, Albany/Corvallis/Lebanon, Bend, Roseburg, Eugene, and Medford/Grants Pass. The Portland students do a lot of rotations at Legacy which is obviously a large hospital system. Salem is a major Trauma 2 for the Willamette Valley and is always busy, and then Corvallis has a few residency programs and is usually a busy hospital. Depends on what you want as far as a speciality for where you would want to do those rotations, some people want to be with residents and others don’t. There are a lot of rural options which sometimes have some really cool opportunities for hands on stuff that you may not get elsewhere. The one thing is that you will possibly have to travel some (though plenty of my friends don’t have to). It seems when people do have to travel it’s only for a month or two relatively close by so you can stay with friends in the area. This usually is due to not being able to secure a speciality in that particular area (hence the need to go to the next city), but our rotations office works very diligently in attempting to open up different sites and rotations for us.
4) With the curriculum I think the first year that’s on here would be better able to give you specifics. (I don’t remember their username off the top of my head and I’m on my phone so I can’t check). I can say from a second years’ perspective it looks like a nice change from what we have. You get two cracks at the info (normal phys first year and path/pharm second year) and they are trying to cut down on class time to give people more time to study and digest info. Plus I feel (and someone else may disagree) that the weekly quizzes are useful gauges of how your study strategy is working. Something I definitely wish we had. Also helps to force you to not get behind :) Sure it’s tough being a new curriculum and there are going to be kinks that have to be worked out, but I feel overall it’s going well!!

Interview Invite!!! Beyond excited, this is my top choice! IS, complete mid Sept. Looks like there are only two interview dates left, next week and mid Feb

Reactions: 4 users
Interview Invite!!! Beyond excited, this is my top choice! IS, complete mid Sept. Looks like there are only two interview dates left, next week and mid Feb
YAY I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! I knew you would get one!! Congrats!!!

Get it! Choose the closer date if you can because the earlier you interview, the better it is! Hope to see you later this year!

Hi everyone, I have an interview here this weekend, and I’m starting to get a little nervous because I am very interested in this program! I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on the structure/schedule of the interview day, as well as an estimation of the amount of other interviewees to expect on visit day. Any tips or opinions about the school or the interview are greatly appreciated! Thank you so much! :)

Hi everyone, I have an interview here this weekend, and I’m starting to get a little nervous because I am very interested in this program! I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on the structure/schedule of the interview day, as well as an estimation of the amount of other interviewees to expect on visit day. Any tips or opinions about the school or the interview are greatly appreciated! Thank you so much! :)

My interview was pretty relaxing I thought! Day started in a classroom with I’d say 40 other interviewees, and we were all broken up into groups. We had a presentation for a while which I really enjoyed, and started with either the MMI portion, the tour, or the one on ones. The MMI had two short stations, and while 2 interviewees were going the rest were speaking to current students and getting any questions answered which helped the stress of waiting to go into the MMI. Then we went into our longer interviews which were with a faculty member, a student, and a member of the community or some variation of that which were very relaxed I thought. Then we had lunch and debriefed before being done. I’d say the day ran from 8am-130ish but I can’t totally remember! I thought the day was pretty relaxed overall.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone know if this school is still sending out II?

A small tip: if you are on the WL definitely send updates! It could be a letter of intent, new transcript, etc. I sent out a thank you note to everyone who’s email was listed on the booklet, the committee updated it on my portal as a supplement material.

Best of luck!

Any one that interviewed on 01/19 here back yet? I believe adcom was meeting Thursday so I was thinking I would find out today.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Any one that interviewed on 01/19 here back yet? I believe adcom was meeting Thursday so I was thinking I would find out today.

Nope. The earliest previous interviewers have heard is 9 days post interview so Monday would be the soonest for us. They met on Thursday but Dean has to approve decisions. I expect to hear before Friday next week. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Nope. The earliest previous interviewers have heard is 9 days post interview so Monday would be the soonest for us. They met on Thursday but Dean has to approve decisions. I expect to hear before Friday next week. Best of luck!
Thank you. Good luck to you as well

Question for any current students.

I am living in Corvallis right now. How feasible is it to live in Corvallis, watch lectures online, and only attend campus for mandatory classes like OMM?

Very excited to hear back from this school over the next few days! Good luck to everyone who interviewed around the 1/19 visit day, wishing you guys all the best!

Very excited to hear back from this school over the next few days! Good luck to everyone who interviewed around the 1/19 visit day, wishing you guys all the best!

Has anyone heard from the 1/19 date? This wait is pretty torturous!

Reactions: 2 users
Question for any current students.

I am living in Corvallis right now. How feasible is it to live in Corvallis, watch lectures online, and only attend campus for mandatory classes like OMM?

I heard on interview day several students don’t live in Lebanon, some even live as far as Portland and Eugene. Corvallis is pretty close, don’t see it being an issue as long you have a car

I heard on interview day several students don’t live in Lebanon, some even live as far as Portland and Eugene. Corvallis is pretty close, don’t see it being an issue as long you have a car

Can confirm. There is a fair portion of both classes that doesnt actually live in Lebanon. Corvallis is definitely feasible

Has anyone heard from 1/19? The wait is killer

Has anyone heard from 1/19? The wait is killer

I’m so glad you posted this because I was about to tag you and ask the same thing getting incredibly nervous that this might be a bad sign. I’m wondering if they will be doing any calls over the weekend?