2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still waiting. I just rescheduled another DO interview I was planning to cancel if I got accepted here this week. The wait is brutal. Looks like the CA campus interviewed on 1/17 some/all found out two days ago. I was really hoping today would be the day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m so glad you posted this because I was about to tag you and ask the same thing getting incredibly nervous that this might be a bad sign. I’m wondering if they will be doing any calls over the weekend?

Honestly I doubt they will call this weekend so at least we can sleep a little this weekend. Like I always say, “no news is good news”. I have a friend who interviewed that day as well and they haven’t heard either. Maybe the AOA match and MLK day pushed our time frame out?

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly I doubt they will call this weekend so at least we can sleep a little this weekend. Like I always say, “no news is good news”. I have a friend who interviewed that day as well and they haven’t heard either. Maybe the AOA match and MLK day pushed our time frame out?

Definitely a possibility! Gonna hold out hope for all of us, really hoping we get some good news :) this is my top choice, so it’ll be a little nerve-racking to wait this weekend out! Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely a possibility! Gonna hold out hope for all of us, really hoping we get some good news :) this is my top choice, so it’ll be a little nerve-racking to wait this weekend out! Good luck to you!

This is my first choice as well, so this wait has been absolutely killer. It would be amazing to be classmates with you in the future

There’s a chance of snow tonight in the Willamette Valley so there is a good chance this could cause another delay in our decisions. Even a 1/2 inch in Oregon shuts the town down for a little while

Anyone hear anything today?

Not yet! I think Friday is technically the last day that’s within the timeline they gave us (fifteen business days). I wonder if they’re being more selective at this point because the class is almost filled, meaning decisions are taking longer. Fingers crossed we hear back over the next couple days!

Not yet! I think Friday is technically the last day that’s within the timeline they gave us (fifteen business days). I wonder if they’re being more selective at this point because the class is almost filled, meaning decisions are taking longer. Fingers crossed we hear back over the next couple days!

For sure, I agree, plus the AOA match was today so that could definitely delay things

Anyone hear anything today?

Actually, I spoke ten minutes too soon! I just received the email that I have been placed on the alternate list. Really hoping we see some movement over the next few weeks, I would love to go here. Good luck to you, really hoping you get that acceptance :) I’ll keep you all updated!

Actually, I spoke ten minutes too soon! I just received the email that I have been placed on the alternate list. Really hoping we see some movement over the next few weeks, I would love to go here. Good luck to you, really hoping you get that acceptance :) I’ll keep you all updated!

I’m sorry to hear this but at least you still have hope I will be cheering for you, I didn’t get that email (yet)

I’m hoping too! I’ve been sending updates and will call next month when they start reviewing

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Did they confirm receipt of your letter/attach it to your portal? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to put my best foot forward in my future communications with them!

Totally understandable! I did it through the portal and it showed the upload date next to it. I haven’t checked since so I hope it went though I’ll hop on and check. But other than that no communication to confirm

I'm hoping that today is the day that interviewers from 1/19 are notified. Good luck to everyone that is waiting!

I wouldn’t expect much today since the campus was closed today because of snow..

For anyone who hasn't gotten an II, I just called and the admissions counselor told me they are (most likely) cutting their interview season short due to the school interviewing more candidates than previous years earlier this cycle. Apparently the last interview day is February 16th and that is full. There's always a possibility things will open up, but not sure if they'll interview more even if that's the case. Seems like they are planning to just run through their waitlist at that point in time.

Any acceptances or rejections from 1/19 yet? I saw there was a waitlist, have most people not heard?

Just got a status update stating the following.

“Thank you for applying for admission to Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific – Northwest. The admissions process is now closed for the class of 2023. If you are not accepted into a medical program this year, I encourage you to apply early for a place in the class of 2024.

Good luck to you in your future educational endeavors.”

Last edited:
I am wondering if they are waiting to give out acceptances for 1/19 until after the last interview next Sat? Anyone else have any thoughts?

So have people from the 1/19 interview still not heard back for the most part?

Not sure about Oregon, but Washington is getting dumped on with snow. Everything is shut down around here, maybe if you guys haven’t heard it may be that theyre closed too?

Not sure about Oregon, but Washington is getting dumped on with snow. Everything is shut down around here, maybe if you guys haven’t heard it may be that theyre closed too?

No lebanon doesn’t have any snow right now

For the most part I don’t think 1/19 interviewees have heard. I do want to say they were closed last week for snow 1 day with a 2 hour delay on another, the AOA match was last week and they opened a new clinic in Portland, I think they have been very busy.

Last edited:
Negative. We won’t hear anything before March, they said. Fingers crossed though

That's what I thought but just wanted to check, the waiting game is brutal. I heard something about being able to hear as late as August, if you are on the waitlist. Is there any truth to that?

That's what I thought but just wanted to check, the waiting game is brutal. I heard something about being able to hear as late as August, if you are on the waitlist. Is there any truth to that?

Yep.. March to August :(

Interviewed 1/19..was just emailed that the class is full so I have been waitlisted...good luck to everyone!

So what is the difference between alternate and waitlisted? Because it seems some people were told they were on alternate list and others on waitlist

So what is the difference between alternate and waitlisted? Because it seems some people were told they were on alternate list and others on waitlist

They're the same thing. When you get put on the waitlist COMP says you're an alternate. It's just a mixing of terms

I'm slightly suprised as I thought there was open seats. Maybe there was a few though. Many schools accept more than class size. Does Western accept more than the class size or do they form an alternate list immediately after the class is filled? Why March or May for alternates? I would think some already accepted would choose other schools for various reasons in the next few months. Any idea of how many get accepted from the waitlist each year?

I'm slightly suprised as I thought there was open seats. Maybe there was a few though. Many schools accept more than class size. Does Western accept more than the class size or do they form an alternate list immediately after the class is filled? Why March or May for alternates? I would think some already accepted would choose other schools for various reasons in the next few months. Any idea of how many get accepted from the waitlist each year?

Because their class is full and those on the WL take priority. Then the alternate list will hear. They estimated may because in March the WL will likely see movement and once all 25+ have been accepted and make a decision, then they’ll revisit alternates. Kind of a bummer

Because their class is full and those on the WL take priority. Then the alternate list will hear. They estimated may because in March the WL will likely see movement and once all 25+ have been accepted and make a decision, then they’ll revisit alternates. Kind of a bummer
Thanks for the info. So I was thinking alternate list was the same as waitlist based on what a previous poster just said. So waitlist of 25 is NOT the same as alternate list??

I totally thought they were too! Especially looking online but the school confirmed they are not the same. Waitlist is basically the priority applicants that they couldn’t take because the seats are full, otherwise they would have been offered acceptance.
Good luck premedmommy. I'm on the waitlist with 25 or more others. Do you think all the waitlist all normally gets accepted? Does anyone know how many students get accepted from the waitlist approximately each year?

The deadline for the second deposit was Feb. Based on timing for a few forms such as health etc we will have an idea fairly soon assuming people don't procrastinate paperwork until last minute. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
The deadline for the second deposit was Feb. Based on timing for a few forms such as health etc we will have an idea fairly soon assuming people don't procrastinate paperwork until last minute. Best of luck.

Deadline was feb 1 for second deposit?

Deadline was feb 1 for second deposit?

Deadly for 2nd deposit was Feb 15*. I imagine right now most of the applications were bottle necked at the health forms as they require a recent (6 months latest from 1st class) health inspection. I imagine most of the folks are getting that done right now.

Best of luck to all of you guys!

Last edited:
After students are accepted does anyone know how long they have to submit the deposit? Is it two weeks? Thanks!

Odds are that the COMP-NW alternate list sees a lot of movement after OHSU makes its decisions in April. I know a few people who would turn down their acceptance to COMP-NW if accepted to OHSU.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if there is a facebook group for c/o 2023? I'd like to join it please....

Can confirm. There is a fair portion of both classes that doesnt actually live in Lebanon. Corvallis is definitely feasible
I live in a SW Portland suburb, about 15 minutes from I-5. Is this a feasible distance to commute? I can't move.

I live in a SW Portland suburb, about 15 minutes from I-5. Is this a feasible distance to commute? I can't move.

It’s certainly a ways out but there’s people in both first and second year that commute from Portland. Usually people find someone to carpool with! Makes it a bit easier I think

It’s certainly a ways out but there’s people in both first and second year that commute from Portland. Usually people find someone to carpool with! Makes it a bit easier I think

Can you share what a normal week looks like? And does Western provide anything to their students? (Textbooks, stethoscope, board prep etc)

Thank you!

Can you share what a normal week looks like? And does Western provide anything to their students? (Textbooks, stethoscope, board prep etc)

Thank you!

I’ll answer the easier question first. Western provides all your medical equipment and then Kaplan for board prep. As far as any other board prep usually the class gets together and gets a group discount on the standard stuff like uworld and sketchy.

As far as a normal week, a first year would be better prepped to answer that question in depth, but from what I can see they have classes on Monday and Tuesday afternoons for about two to four hours depending On the day with a mix of OMM and CM&R (your physical exam and history taking class). Other than those two days your afternoons are mostly free. For normal classes you have a case of the week which kinda headlines the topics you will learn for that week. You work on it all week and then on Friday you go over it as a group with an individual quiz at the end. You also have a group quiz which you can take on your own time. Anatomy is split where half go on Monday and half go on Tuesday mornings but it’s highly advisable that you go in on your own time at some point. Lectures on Tuesday through Thursday mornings aren’t required attendance. Friday mornings the case wrap up isn’t technically required but I believe most people go since you have to be there for the quiz anyways.

Sorry it’s kinda all over the place. As a second year we have a different format of the curriculum so I don’t know all the definite intricacies. I think there are a couple of them that use this site so maybe they’ll see this and can chime in.

I’ll answer the easier question first. Western provides all your medical equipment and then Kaplan for board prep. As far as any other board prep usually the class gets together and gets a group discount on the standard stuff like uworld and sketchy.

As far as a normal week, a first year would be better prepped to answer that question in depth, but from what I can see they have classes on Monday and Tuesday afternoons for about two to four hours depending On the day with a mix of OMM and CM&R (your physical exam and history taking class). Other than those two days your afternoons are mostly free. For normal classes you have a case of the week which kinda headlines the topics you will learn for that week. You work on it all week and then on Friday you go over it as a group with an individual quiz at the end. You also have a group quiz which you can take on your own time. Anatomy is split where half go on Monday and half go on Tuesday mornings but it’s highly advisable that you go in on your own time at some point. Lectures on Tuesday through Thursday mornings aren’t required attendance. Friday mornings the case wrap up isn’t technically required but I believe most people go since you have to be there for the quiz anyways.

Sorry it’s kinda all over the place. As a second year we have a different format of the curriculum so I don’t know all the definite intricacies. I think there are a couple of them that use this site so maybe they’ll see this and can chime in.

Thank you!

Got the call today! ACCEPTED!!!! Beyond thrilled. Interviewed 1/19, put on highly ranked waitlist on 2/12, call on 2/19!!! First choice school, can’t wait to meet everyone in August!

Reactions: 9 users