2019-2020 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You don't have to have taken Lin Alg or Dif Eq. You can use something else to fulfill the requirements (like work experience, etc.), but I'm not sure how many people actually have that or how difficult that is.

Lmao yeah, I have nothing related to those things in my experiences. I'm just not gonna submit that application.

Where does it say that for you?

I believe it was on the 2nd "page" of the application

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished the video essay...that was rough. I feel like I ended up with a few too many awkward, stuttering sentences and didn't answer a couple of the questions thoroughly enough. Feels great to have the secondary in though! Good luck all!

Reactions: 1 users
that's exactly how i would describe how mine went too

+1
And then I spent 20 seconds trying to give a coherent answer for the last question. I did HireVue interviews for software engineering internships and those were the same. If only I learned... haha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished the video essay...that was rough. I feel like I ended up with a few too many awkward, stuttering sentences and didn't answer a couple of the questions thoroughly enough. Feels great to have the secondary in though! Good luck all!
that's exactly how i would describe how mine went too
+1
And then I spent 20 seconds trying to give a coherent answer for the last question. I did HireVue interviews for software engineering internships and those were the same. If only I learned... haha

Any advice for someone doing their video tonight? I'm a bit nervous.

Any advice for someone doing their video tonight? I'm a bit nervous.

To be honest, the questions are pretty standard secondary questions. The awkward part is speaking without receiving any feedback in the form of backchannel communication.

Wow. Thought I was ready for that video essay. Was not ready for it. 300 s goes fast when you're nervous..

what does the secondary mean by "time commitment in hours"?

For each of the artifacts, I chose an activity and put the number of hours I committed to that. Kind of like the Work/Activites section of the primary

For each of the artifacts, I chose an activity and put the number of hours I committed to that. Kind of like the Work/Activites section of the primary

Alternatively, I actually did a collage of things from different activities, so I guess that fell under the being "not applicable", though I put a more thorough distribution of hours in the second blank (something about your level of involvement).

so I submitted The secondary to the school back in July and I just received an email now that I do not meet all of the competencies to receive a secondary application...did anyone else receive this email who had already submitted a secondary? is this an error?

so I submitted The secondary to the school back in July and I just received an email now that I do not meet all of the competencies to receive a secondary application...did anyone else receive this email who had already submitted a secondary? is this an error?

I was told today that my MCAT was below the required score of 498 (it assuredly is above the threshold), so I quickly emailed them asking if the email was in error. They got back to me later today saying that the message sent to me was a mistake, and shortly after sent me the competencies addendum. Sounds like it might have been a slight mishap with their system, I would just send them a short email inquiring about it.

Hope it works out for ya!

Rejected pre-secondary. Didn't have all of the competencies, but submitted just for the hell of it.

I‘m still working on the secondary a month later (saved it for last and wish I didn’t it’s kind of fun).

However, I did just receive an invitation to visit campus in September for an optional admissions event. Anyone know anything about this? They say it can be advantageous to your app, but I’m debating whether it’s worth taking a day off of work... I need to be strategic with my vacation days :unsure:

Members don't see this ad :)
I‘m still working on the secondary a month later (saved it for last and wish I didn’t it’s kind of fun).

However, I did just receive an invitation to visit campus in September for an optional admissions event. Anyone know anything about this? They say it can be advantageous to your app, but I’m debating whether it’s worth taking a day off of work... I need to be strategic with my vacation days :unsure:

Look at last years thread. From what they said last year it is not required, but it helps

What other schools are like Carle-Illinois that has a physician-engineer program?

You can apply as OOS.

haha I know I'm just being ridiculous. I didn't know about the program at Texas A&M. I don't know if Carle Illinois does either. I listened to an interview with their dean and they thought they had a corner on the market. I guess they don't!

For the "time commitment" that they ask, is it about the time you spent in making the PDF?

Also, are the video interview questions as simple as "What's the best ice cream" as indicated in their example video?

If you're local, why not?

Anyone try an ITA letter here?
If so, was you letter sent pre or post II?
What effect did it have?

What's at ITA.

What?! So they just send people acceptance after watching your videos and going through you application?

ITA is "in the area", to tell schools that you're going to be in their general vicinity for some reason (usually another interview).

They send invites to a monthly showcase, which apparently is optional but attendance improves your chances.

ITA is "in the area", to tell schools that you're going to be in their general vicinity for some reason (usually another interview).

They send invites to a monthly showcase, which apparently is optional but attendance improves your chances.
Thanks. But is there really no interviews at all?

Is it too late to send in an app here? I have a physics minor and meet the requirements. I am super intrigued by this school but I am not sure exactly how I would use engineering in my medical career (of course, I have ideas just not a specific goal).

Is it too late to send in an app here? I have a physics minor and meet the requirements. I am super intrigued by this school but I am not sure exactly how I would use engineering in my medical career (of course, I have ideas just not a specific goal).

If you have the money, why not?
FYI, they'll ask you about Linear Algebra, multi-variable calculus, and Differential Equations courses too.

Also, the secondary is free.

Hi! Was this an invitation to their showcase? Or did the invite not say showcase at all

Hi, I was invited to the showcase but am unable to attend due to a previous commitment. I reached out to Heather and she said the people who attend the showcases are among the first to receive acceptances. I think it's worth it and honestly, I wish I could attend.
I was also unable to attend, but I asked whether I could attend a future showcase.

Hi, I was invited to the showcase but am unable to attend due to a previous commitment. I reached out to Heather and she said the people who attend the showcases are among the first to receive acceptances. I think it's worth it and honestly, I wish I could attend.

Yeah, after reading about it on last year’s thread as suggested above I realized it’s definitely worth it. I still don’t know quite what to expect but I hope I get a better sense of the school. You should see if you can attend a future one!

Is anyone else finding it extremely difficult to find reasonable flights into and out of CMI? On that note, how important do you guys think the showcase is given the difficult flight situation?

Hi, I’m IS and CMI is a ridiculously small airport so I imagine it is super difficult to get a flight. I recommend flying into O’Hare or Midway in Chicago. They have decently priced round-trip shuttles from those (or you can take AmTrak from the city) and the drive is around 2 hours. Peoria Charter is the shuttle company.

From my understanding, if you can make it work and you want to go to this school, you should go

Can anyone clarify: Are there 2 kinds of in-person invitations that that Carle-Illinois sends: Showcase and Optional Admissions event? Or are they one and the same?

Can anyone clarify: Are there 2 kinds of in-person invitations that that Carle-Illinois sends: Showcase and Optional Admissions event? Or are they one and the same?

Showcase == optional admissions event

Sorry for the confusion!

Does anyone know if you can be accepted if you don't get an invite to a showcase? I know that's kind of their replacement of the interview.

Does anyone know if you can be accepted if you don't get an invite to a showcase? I know that's kind of their replacement of the interview.

It's possible, like if you're on a waitlist and the people whom they extended acceptances to chose other schools. Though, the probability is lower. The other sucky probability is being invited to a showcase and not getting an acceptance (maybe because they over-invited "safety" students).

How long did it take for most people to receive their secondaries? It's been 5 days since I submitted my competencies. (I meet all the competencies, studied Biomedical Engineering in undergrad)

Mine was less than a week. Not exactly sure how many days. You can also try contacting them after a week to follow-up, which worked for some other schools like Albany.

Hey guys just an fyi, I know I can't be the only person who procrastinates, but I waited until the day OF my deadline to submit to find that they meant you need to submit BY the deadline, and I saw a message that said I was past the deadline when I tried to submit. However, I emailed them about the confusion like right afterwards and they actually extended the deadline for me! Don't be afraid to do that if you feel like you have a valid excuse. Idk how much this affects my chances of getting an invite to their open house or video conference, but they're still reviewing my application as we speak, so that's better than nothing.

FYI, I'm a UIUC alum, but I do not have an engineering background. I did have to take classes like PChem and Calc 3 which seems to fill their requirements, so idk if that factored into their decision to extend the deadline. Probably not, but who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey guys just an fyi, I know I can't be the only person who procrastinates, but I waited until the day OF my deadline to submit to find that they meant you need to submit BY the deadline, and I saw a message that said I was past the deadline when I tried to submit. However, I emailed them about the confusion like right afterwards and they actually extended the deadline for me! Don't be afraid to do that if you feel like you have a valid excuse. Idk how much this affects my chances of getting an invite to their open house or video conference, but they're still reviewing my application as we speak, so that's better than nothing.

FYI, I'm a UIUC alum, but I do not have an engineering background. I did have to take classes like PChem and Calc 3 which seems to fill their requirements, so idk if that factored into their decision to extend the deadline. Probably not, but who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When you said "BY the deadline", did you mean before the deadline?

When you said "BY the deadline", did you mean before the deadline?
Yes, exactly. It's honestly confusing. From my understanding, you have 6 weeks, starting from when you first receive your Competency Checklist Invitation to submit your secondary. I received my Competency Checklist Invitation on Thursday, July 11th and filled it out. Then, I received my Invitation for the Secondary on Sunday, July 21st, telling me that my deadline was Friday, August 23rd. Like I said, I took this to mean that it'd be due ON the 23rd, but I think they meant by 11:59 pm on Thursday, August 22nd since that was 6 weeks after the Competency Checklist Invitation. I think it's a bit misleading on their part, but honestly the moral of the story is you should probably just submit the secondary as soon as you get it lmao

Yes, exactly. It's honestly confusing. From my understanding, you have 6 weeks, starting from when you first receive your Competency Checklist Invitation to submit your secondary. I received my Competency Checklist Invitation on Thursday, July 11th and filled it out. Then, I received my Invitation for the Secondary on Sunday, July 21st, telling me that my deadline was Friday, August 23rd. Like I said, I took this to mean that it'd be due ON the 23rd, but I think they meant by 11:59 pm on Thursday, August 22nd since that was 6 weeks after the Competency Checklist Invitation. I think it's a bit misleading on their part, but honestly the moral of the story is you should probably just submit the secondary as soon as you get it lmao
Weird. I submitted the day mine was due and it accepted it-didn't give me any trouble.

How long did it take for most people to receive their secondaries? It's been 5 days since I submitted my competencies. (I meet all the competencies, studied Biomedical Engineering in undergrad)

I got mine very quickly after submitting the competencies (like 2 hours). Maybe email them? Never hurts.