2022-2023 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know how carle is with financial aid/matching?

they said during the showcase that most students receive some kind of aid or scholarship!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know how carle is with financial aid/matching?
They also apparently pick specific values every year, and grant scholarships to accepted students based on those values. Financial aid info will also be sent out concurrently with or shortly after receiving an A.

Had my student session yesterday. 3 M1s and 13 applicants. They were very, very honest about their thoughts on the school, and I was wondering if people with showcases with M2-M4s heard similar or different things.

- General: Its still a very new school and lot of things are still being established. They also really care about students and their input and are always adapting to feedback.
- They don’t take the “physician-innovator” role lightly, there are several classes a week? where you problem solve for better solutions for things + learn how the tools work, and there are capstone and data science projects at the end.

- Research: One of the M1s mentioned that they were doing research. When asked, they said you are pretty much on your own for finding research projects, since Carle is not really an academic hospital. There are brown bag talks in fridays where PIs and people talk to students, but otherwise on your own for M1

- Service: Other than a few specific clubs, also mostly on your own for this, aka most community service is not attached to the school and just in the general area. I think the school has a free clinic? There is a discord and students will reach out if they find opportunities.

- Clinical Exposure: TONs of clinical experience, especially since they start going into clinic in week 2. The students called it a big commitment, but definitely no worries about early clinical experience.

- Area: They said the area is pretty boring, but “a good place to study.” Pretty flat area with lots of corn. Food is very mid. But a few hours away from Chicago and Saint Louis and people tend to go out there for fun.

- Student Dynamic: It’s a small school and PBLs tend to change so you’ll get to meet pretty much everyone. People are very collaborative and “no one is really out there to get you”, and generally look out for each other. Everytime wants to school and students to do well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had my student session yesterday. 3 M1s and 13 applicants. They were very, very honest about their thoughts on the school, and I was wondering if people with showcases with M2-M4s heard similar or different things.

- General: Its still a very new school and lot of things are still being established. They also really care about students and their input and are always adapting to feedback.
- They don’t take the “physician-innovator” role lightly, there are several classes a week? where you problem solve for better solutions for things + learn how the tools work, and there are capstone and data science projects at the end.

- Research: One of the M1s mentioned that they were doing research. When asked, they said you are pretty much on your own for finding research projects, since Carle is not really an academic hospital. There are brown bag talks in fridays where PIs and people talk to students, but otherwise on your own for M1

- Service: Other than a few specific clubs, also mostly on your own for this, aka most community service is not attached to the school and just in the general area. I think the school has a free clinic? There is a discord and students will reach out if they find opportunities.

- Clinical Exposure: TONs of clinical experience, especially since they start going into clinic in week 2. The students called it a big commitment, but definitely no worries about early clinical experience.

- Area: They said the area is pretty boring, but “a good place to study.” Pretty flat area with lots of corn. Food is very mid. But a few hours away from Chicago and Saint Louis and people tend to go out there for fun.

- Student Dynamic: It’s a small school and PBLs tend to change so you’ll get to meet pretty much everyone. People are very collaborative and “no one is really out there to get you”, and generally look out for each other. Everytime wants to school and students to do well.

I had a couple of M4s in my session. They agreed with the first point, noting their preclinical years were a bit disorganized but seem to be WAY better now due to student feedback.

They actually said the innovation integration piece was interesting but could be improved as it felt like those classes were completely separate from their regular classes.

They discouraged research in m1 but said there’s tons of it; you just have to be proactive about reaching out to join projects. I also got the notion that service opportunities are a bit lacking, but it wasn’t something they were worried about?

Their M3 clinical years were also a little disorganized because a rotation spot closed due to COVID; the school ended up renting out a block of apartments and had a bunch of students move to a new location.

They agreed with the rest of it, although both were from IL so didn’t seem quite as bored with the area haha

Reactions: 3 users
I had a couple of M4s in my session. They agreed with the first point, noting their preclinical years were a bit disorganized but seem to be WAY better now due to student feedback.

They actually said the innovation integration piece was interesting but could be improved as it felt like those classes were completely separate from their regular classes.

They discouraged research in m1 but said there’s tons of it; you just have to be proactive about reaching out to join projects. I also got the notion that service opportunities are a bit lacking, but it wasn’t something they were worried about?

Their M3 clinical years were also a little disorganized because a rotation spot closed due to COVID; the school ended up renting out a block of apartments and had a bunch of students move to a new location.

They agreed with the rest of it, although both were from IL so didn’t seem quite as bored with the area haha

Thanks for sharing! Definitely nice to get some input from M4s, and the plenty of research does make me feel better :) seems like things are pretty new but they are always adapting

Edit: M1s also agreed on the notion to try not to do research and a lot of ECs first year as the priority is finding out how to study

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else haven’t heard anything since submitting their secondary? (submitted mine early September) Trying not lose hope but also may be time to start being realistic :(

Downright near gave me a heart attack seeing the notification for this thread. I suppose I am just continuing the trend :rofl:

• Haha
Anyone else haven’t heard anything since submitting their secondary? (submitted mine early September) Trying not lose hope but also may be time to start being realistic :(

Yeah, I think without a invite we are probably looking at a R soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody hear anything yet today?
waiting waiting

bitcoin GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

I don't know. But I did see people getting in in past cycles without a showcase invite. It's not over till it's over.

In last year's thread, the first Acceptance was at 3:52pm PST, so maybe people will hear back later in the day today?

Bless you for checking. Hang in there everyone even if we don’t hear today I think I remember them saying they maybe are only giving out a few A’s today and will continue to give them until March :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Bless you for checking. Hang in there everyone even if we don’t hear today I think I remember them saying they maybe are only giving out a few A’s today and will continue to give them until March :)
Yep^^ At showcase last week, I believe we were told they will meet at 5 PM for voting, so likely some may hear back evening or even tomorrow.

best of luck everyone <33 at anyone else accepted, PM me and we can start a group chat?

• Love
so do we think more As tomorrow or not until feb?
Last year, A's popped up the day after the first batch, so I'm hopeful there will be more today (I figure around 4pm?). It's also possible those first A's were just reported 1 day late. Otherwise, the wait continues! ADCOMs should be meeting more often from here on out. I'm assuming at least once a week. We should all have an answer by mid March.

Received A !! (yesterday 3PM PST)
MCAT 516
GPA 3.79. ( Computer Science )
Masters ( Clinical Informatics )

40 apps and only had one other II.

Congrats!! 🎉🙌

Last year, A's popped up the day after the first batch, so I'm hopeful there will be more today (I figure around 4pm?). It's also possible those first A's were just reported 1 day late. Otherwise, the wait continues! ADCOMs should be meeting more often from here on out. I'm assuming at least once a week. We should all have an answer by mid March.

I hope you’re right. 🙏 I’m nervous. I’m still waiting on other schools but so far the showcase has technically been my only ii. Of course with Carle you can’t tell them that due to their policies lol Truth be told— It’s hard to get empathy from people outside the premed bubble and to not feel lonely lol 😂 Too early for a drink where I am but cheers to everyone with an A!!!

Congrats!! 🎉🙌

I hope you’re right. 🙏 I’m nervous. I’m still waiting on other schools but so far the showcase has technically been my only ii. Of course with Carle you can’t tell them that due to their policies lol Truth be told— It’s hard to get empathy from people outside the premed bubble and to not feel lonely lol 😂 Too early for a drink where I am but cheers to everyone with an A!!!
Hey @bananie15, i feel you, your right in that alot of people outside the premed bubble don't understand how stressful and crazy this application process is. But, just know that there are so many people here who can empathize with how you are feeling. Like trust me when I say you are not alone. And , I know we don't think about this alot, but the hurdles that you have passed (undergrad, gpa, MCAT, research ect) to get to where you are is incredible. You are amazing <3 and know that im rooting for you :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Congrats!!

I hope you’re right. I’m nervous. I’m still waiting on other schools but so far the showcase has technically been my only ii. Of course with Carle you can’t tell them that due to their policies lol Truth be told— It’s hard to get empathy from people outside the premed bubble and to not feel lonely lol Too early for a drink where I am but cheers to everyone with an A!!!

Happy birthday?! Also, I’m in the same boat as you, Carle is my only II. It is one of my dream schools but everyone who goes there seems to have done such amazing things and it’s hard to believe I’ll have a chance here. I agree that this feels like a lonely process, and people outside the premed bubble have been kind but they don’t understand what it’s like.

But turtle is right, it’s comforting knowing that a lot of premeds have gone through similar experiences and may be on the same boat. Through the neuroticism/competitiveness there is still people who will celebrate your wins even if they don’t have any and support you through their losses because they see how hard this process is.

Rooting for you, and hoping that maybe we’ll all get to be classmates next year.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Happy birthday?! Also, I’m in the same boat as you, Carle is my only II. It is one of my dream schools but everyone who goes there seems to have done such amazing things and it’s hard to believe I’ll have a chance here. I agree that this feels like a lonely process, and people outside the premed bubble have been kind but they don’t understand what it’s like.

But turtle is right, it’s comforting knowing that a lot of premeds have gone through similar experiences and may be on the same boat. Through the neuroticism/competitiveness there is still people who will celebrate your wins even if they don’t have any and support you through their losses because they see how hard this process is.

Rooting for you, and hoping that maybe we’ll all get to be classmates next year.

Thank you signomiii 🥲🙏 I loved your post— sorry I didn’t reply earlier— I’m always a hot (maybe? lol) mess on my birthdays. Work hard, party hard 😂

I’m rooting for you too!! 🙌 I hope we become classmates and friends 💛 I remember one of the M4s from the student session saying “I chose Carle for the people” which vibes with what I’m looking for because I can’t handle the meanness and hyper competitiveness— as an old fart millennial I just don’t understand it. We’re going to reach the same degree, learn the same material, and eventually succeed in the same end-goal.

Anyway— I have an exam for linear algebra due in like 4 hours. I hope you’ve got all the pre-reqs ready to go!

Hey @bananie15, i feel you, your right in that alot of people outside the premed bubble don't understand how stressful and crazy this application process is. But, just know that there are so many people here who can empathize with how you are feeling. Like trust me when I say you are not alone. And , I know we don't think about this alot, but the hurdles that you have passed (undergrad, gpa, MCAT, research ect) to get to where you are is incredible. You are amazing <3 and know that im rooting for you :)

Thank you turtle I loved your post too 💛🙏 I’m rooting for you too and hope we become classmates and friends!! and thank you for putting me in a better perspective and state of mind— in other words, thanks for pushing the imposter syndrome cloud away and making my day sunnier. (Also a pun on the crap weather where I am lol I miss the west coast so much)

Reactions: 3 users
I saw that Carle requires you to have a car? Can any current students share where they park, or places where med students typically live with a garage/parking?

I know we only needed 9 of 11 competency areas to receive a secondary but does anyone know if we need to show all 11 areas are complete before matriculation? or is it just the 9 of 11 areas needed?

I know we only needed 9 of 11 competency areas to receive a secondary but does anyone know if we need to show all 11 areas are complete before matriculation? or is it just the 9 of 11 areas needed?
Also wondering

I think just 9 out of 11 need to be done

Also we started a group chat for accepted students! PM if you'd like the link.

Does anyone know how frequently the admissions committee meets to send out A's?

Does anyone know how frequently the admissions committee meets to send out A's?
According to last year's thread, it seems like the adcom meets and sends out batches of A's/R's weekly. (A's on 1/19/22, R's 1/27/22, A's 1/28/22, A's 2/9/22, R's 2/17/22, W's/A's/R's 3/9/22). I assume it'll be similar this cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
It's too quiet in here :unsure: Maybe decisions today?

• Hmm
Reactions: 11 users
Received my first A!!!!
(Status change via email. OOS ORM LM 62)

• Love
Reactions: 12 users