2019-2020 Central Florida

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL when is it reasonable to get financial aid packages sent out? March or so? Thanks
I would imagine that the Scholarship Committee will hold a series of review meetings beginning in late Feb through April. They generally are released in batches. Hope this helps.
 
If I recall correctly today is the first day that AMCAS will allow you to select Plan to Enroll (PTE). Some thoughts for you regarding PTE prior to April 30:
- Using PTE is strictly voluntary
- NO MD program sees your selection but does get an aggregate report that has limited relevance to anything during this period that I can determine
- Med schools will have access to an aggregate report indicating that someone has PTE, but has no way to know who has/has not made the selection
- Some programs may mandate that you select PTE now:
-- Check their written PTE instructions provided to the general public on their web site or maybe ?MSAR?, if it is "mandatory prior to April 30" I dont know how they can enforce it because there is no way to tell who an individual applicant may be.
-- If you receive pressure to PTE you are welcome to PM me for any discussion about the process that you would like to have.
- Finally, If you are really bored and have several acceptances, you can voluntarily select PTE for different programs on alternating days :highfive:

You will not be able to select Commit to Enroll (CTE) until April 30 at the earliest. But if you are absolutely sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that other acceptance offers, scholarships, etc will not sway you, you can email that program and let them know that you are absolutely sure that you will select CTE at the earliest opportunity. Having said this, there are some programs out there that will force you to select CTE on, or soon after April 30. That program can do that if they are an early start program within ~30 days of matriculation to their class. They are not playing within the community protocols if they are forcing you to CTE unreasonable early (ex. they matriculate in later than mid-June or later). These programs are trying to "enhance" their own opportunities and severely restrict your opportunities for Wait List acceptances.

I would encourage you to take some time now to review school web sites for CYMS instructions so that you are aware of their deadlines and policies. If you cannot find them, email the program and see where you can find their CYMS instructions.

I would be happy to answer any questions here on SDN or a PM.

Oh how I wish that every day was a MONDAY!
 
If I recall correctly today is the first day that AMCAS will allow you to select Plan to Enroll (PTE). Some thoughts for you regarding PTE prior to April 30:
- Using PTE is strictly voluntary
- NO MD program sees your selection but does get an aggregate report that has limited relevance to anything during this period that I can determine
- Med schools will have access to an aggregate report indicating that someone has PTE, but has no way to know who has/has not made the selection
- Some programs may mandate that you select PTE now:
-- Check their written PTE instructions provided to the general public on their web site or maybe ?MSAR?, if it is "mandatory prior to April 30" I dont know how they can enforce it because there is no way to tell who an individual applicant may be.
-- If you receive pressure to PTE you are welcome to PM me for any discussion about the process that you would like to have.
- Finally, If you are really bored and have several acceptances, you can voluntarily select PTE for different programs on alternating days :highfive:

You will not be able to select Commit to Enroll (CTE) until April 30 at the earliest. But if you are absolutely sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that other acceptance offers, scholarships, etc will not sway you, you can email that program and let them know that you are absolutely sure that you will select CTE at the earliest opportunity. Having said this, there are some programs out there that will force you to select CTE on, or soon after April 30. That program can do that if they are an early start program within ~30 days of matriculation to their class. They are not playing within the community protocols if they are forcing you to CTE unreasonable early (ex. they matriculate in later than mid-June or later). These programs are trying to "enhance" their own opportunities and severely restrict your opportunities for Wait List acceptances.

I would encourage you to take some time now to review school web sites for CYMS instructions so that you are aware of their deadlines and policies. If you cannot find them, email the program and see where you can find their CYMS instructions.

I would be happy to answer any questions here on SDN or a PM.

Oh how I wish that every day was a MONDAY!
Hi REL, thanks for your post. Not a current applicant at UCF but your post interests me. My current and only acceptance to a Florida school requires CTE on April 30th. Classes do not begin until July 27th, nearly 3 months later. I’m on 7 waitlists to programs which I like a lot more, and I feel like this program with a CTE of April 30th is really restricting my ability to get off of WLs since waitlists don’t typically begin until May. Is there anything I can do? I think this is kinda unfair.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi REL, thanks for your post. Not a current applicant at UCF but your post interests me. My current and only acceptance to a Florida school requires CTE on April 30th. Classes do not begin until July 27th, nearly 3 months later. I’m on 7 waitlists to programs which I like a lot more, and I feel like this program with a CTE of April 30th is really restricting my ability to get off of WLs since waitlists don’t typically begin until May. Is there anything I can do? I think this is kinda unfair.

It is absolutely unfair, and if it is the program that did it last year they are obviously a repeat offender. I think that you should first contact AMCAS to let them know that you feel that this policy restricts your program choice and it this unacceptable. AMCAS will likely contact the program to confirm their dates and ask them why they are not following established med school protocols. Let that process work 2-3 weeks. Continue to monitor the situation with that program to see if they change their rules. If you do not see any changes, you can send them a nice email letting them know that you are looking to get your "ducks in line" to help understand the PTE/CTE process and that you cannot seem to find their CYMS process rules on their web site. Are the posted somewhere else - MSAR, etc. Keep me posted as to any progress or not. I can make some calls if needed.
 
@REL Does waitlist movement at UCF generally start occurring after the April 30th date or is there a little bit happening every month?
 
@REL Does waitlist movement at UCF generally start occurring after the April 30th date or is there a little bit happening every month?
Yes, it has been normal for us to begin admitting from the wait list in April. Remember that (probably all) programs over admit during the interview season and will wait for attrition of that overage amount prior to admitting from the wait list. Attrition is based on applicant decisions, so remember that many multiply accepted applicants are more interested in final exams and graduation events than paring down their acceptance list in April and early May.
 
Hmm, some disturbing news on CTE dates in Florida....there may be more than one program with a very early CTE date. I know that FSU has an early start date in June and I believe that Nova MD has a similar date. If true these are the only two MD programs that would be able to for the early CTE.

I am pretty sure that one of the other FL programs that starts much later has set their CTE date in the same range as the early start programs. Of course this is a plan that will restrict applicant choice which is against the protocols that we MD programs should all follow. I strongly suspect there is another.

If you are accepted to a Florida program and they are not an early start program listed above, but seem to have a very early CTE date please PM me the school and the date and I will contact that program to confirm, then have an uncomfortable discussion. They are restricting your choice and do not have your interests in mind. It is a poor display of professionalism, something that they are supposed to teach and evaluate in the curriculum. The first stop in your medical journey begins with Admissions. They, of all, should model the values of that program. As such I am not sure I would want to be in a program that modeled otherwise.
 
Last edited:
So if I'm accepted to FSU but on the waitlist for UCF do I have to give up my waitlist spot on April 30th? Is there anyway to get around this as UCF is my top choice
 
You can only hold one acceptance after that date. You can still hold all your waitlists, and if you get in you withdraw from the other school.

This is true except in the case that the school you were admitted to asks you to commit to enroll early. In which case you have to make the decision to either commit or withdrawal. Committing at that point means you have to remove yourself from other waitlists.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone who interviewed already and received the result (accepted, waitlisted etc.) how long did it take for the school to get back to you after the interview?
It is usually about 18 days later if you interviewed on a Friday 2-3 days less if it was a Monday. Think that there were two who did not respond to calls or emails.
 
Hello @REL !

I don't have any questions but just wanted to thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions and be so transparent regarding the admissions process. You are honestly one of the reasons why I hold UCF as one of my top options.
Thanks for the kind words. As you saw above you can judge a program in many ways, but the way you are treated via the admissions process is usually a good indicator of how you will be treated as a student. Not just the admissions interview day, but the entire process of admissions. Anyone can fake it for a day. You are entering a "partnership" when you go to medical school and the more that you know makes it better for all. Just a little "hint" for ya, medical school is not going to be easy, not every day will go your way, you will need someone to talk to. That is a huge part of choosing a program too.
 
Last edited:
LOI's and updates will NOT change your position on the WL
Is someone else able to confirm this? The email of the January update states "If you are truly interested in a program and have not told them so, this may be the time for a short email indicating your desire to be there. We would accept a letter of intent and will take seriously your indication of planned matriculation if/when you are accepted," which makes me inclined to believe otherwise.

Also, does this mean they prefer updates/ LOI's sent via email and not through the application portal?
 
Hmm, some disturbing news on CTE dates in Florida....there may be more than one program with a very early CTE date. I know that FSU has an early start date in June and I believe that Nova MD has a similar date. If true these are the only two MD programs that would be able to for the early CTE.

I am pretty sure that one of the other FL programs that starts much later has set their CTE date in the same range as the early start programs. Of course this is a plan that will restrict applicant choice which is against the protocols that we MD programs should all follow. I strongly suspect there is another.

If you are accepted to a Florida program and they are not an early start program listed above, but seem to have a very early CTE date please PM me the school and the date and I will contact that program to confirm, then have an uncomfortable discussion. They are restricting your choice and do not have your interests in mind. It is a poor display of professionalism, something that they are supposed to teach and evaluate in the curriculum. The first stop in your medical journey begins with Admissions. They, of all, should model the values of that program. As such I am not sure I would want to be in a program that modeled otherwise.
@REL -- speaking of uncomfortable conversations -- in the interest of transparency, and possibly to inform my school list in an upcoming cycle, would you be willing to identify the two schools, either here or via a PM. As you wisely note, in a seller's market in which every MD school can fill its class many times over with highly motivated and qualified candidates, it is beyond obnoxious to coerce anyone into a premature commitment that might not be in their best interest. As always, thanks for putting yourself out here for us. 🙂
 
@REL -- speaking of uncomfortable conversations -- in the interest of transparency, and possibly to inform my school list in an upcoming cycle, would you be willing to identify the two schools, either here or via a PM. As you wisely note, in a seller's market in which every MD school can fill its class many times over with highly motivated and qualified candidates, it is beyond obnoxious to coerce anyone into a premature commitment that might not be in their best interest. As always, thanks for putting yourself out here for us. 🙂
I dont mind doing this as we get closer to April 30. I am currently attempting direct conversation with the programs and if they change their dates there will be less issue.
 
Thanks for the kind words. As you saw above you can judge a program in many ways, but the way you are treated via the admissions process is usually a good indicator of how you will be treated as a student. Not just the admissions interview day, but the entire process of admissions. Anyone can fake it for a day. You are entering a "partnership" when you go to medical school and the more that you know makes it better for all. Just a little "hint" for ya, medical school is not going to be easy, not every day will go your way, you will need someone to talk to. That is a huge part of choosing a program too.
Can relate admission experience from few BS/MD programs and wonder what kind of education you may get if selected! Glad he was not accepted post interview!
 
@REL -- speaking of uncomfortable conversations -- in the interest of transparency, and possibly to inform my school list in an upcoming cycle, would you be willing to identify the two schools, either here or via a PM. As you wisely note, in a seller's market in which every MD school can fill its class many times over with highly motivated and qualified candidates, it is beyond obnoxious to coerce anyone into a premature commitment that might not be in their best interest. As always, thanks for putting yourself out here for us. 🙂
if you are from FL and you dont apply to all of the FL schools that will be a bigger mistake. dont worry about CTE deadlines yet lmao
 
if you are from FL and you dont apply to all of the FL schools that will be a bigger mistake. dont worry about CTE deadlines yet lmao
Yeah, I know!!! It only becomes an issue IF you have an A at an early CTE school AND a WL at another school you'd rather attend, and both situations are highly speculative before you apply. I really was just hoping for a heads-up on who the offending schools are, since that information is not readily apparent if you are not an applicant holding an A at one of the schools, and it is useful information to keep in mind.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, hoping that someone in @REL's position can get AAMC to address the situation. Adcoms come here and say that this situation is unavoidable due to AAMC not wanting to be involved over fear of antitrust litigation, so schools are free to do this. I don't understanding that reasoning because AAMC, through AMCAS, DOES have some control over the process.

They set a common date for primaries to begin to be submitted. They set a common date for the earliest time an A can be communicated to an applicant. They set the deadline for PTE selections, and for holding no more than one A, by controlling what schools can see, and when. Why the hell can't they set a common CTE date that allows for post-4/30 WL movement for ALL candidates rather than only those who don't hold As at schools that choose to game the system in order to lock candidates in and limit their options??????????
 
if you are from FL and you dont apply to all of the FL schools that will be a bigger mistake. dont worry about CTE deadlines yet lmao
By the way, I don't mean to be nosey, but I can't help myself! 🙂 Your signature says "W:2." Does that mean 2 WLs (in addition to the HPWL), or did you withdraw from 2 schools? Ironically, if you have 3 WLs, the ability of the schools to set arbitrarily early CTE deadlines will help you a lot after 4/30, assuming you don't have an A at one of those schools! In any event, without even knowing the school, my understanding is that your odds with a HPWL are very good, so, congratulations?
 
By the way, I don't mean to be nosey, but I can't help myself! 🙂 Your signature says "W:2." Does that mean 2 WLs (in addition to the HPWL), or did you withdraw from 2 schools? Ironically, if you have 3 WLs, the ability of the schools to set arbitrarily early CTE deadlines will help you a lot after 4/30, assuming you don't have an A at one of those schools! In any event, without even knowing the school, my understanding is that your odds with a HPWL are very good, so, congratulations?
2 waitlist and 1 high priority waitlist that apparently gets complete movement every year fingers crossed. I should probably figure out the CTE deadlines but its not something i considered prior to applying lol. Maybe ill get that A at UCF and i can withdraw everywhere else 😉
 
There’s a thread floating around somewhere on SDN that lists the CTE deadlines for all schools. I remember the schools with a 4/30 deadline were bolded. Just a heads up in case anyone needs that info!
Yeah, but I wouldn't rely on it. Whoever pulled it together just pulled it from websites, etc., and in a lot of cases the websites aren't clear on whether the 4/30 deadline is CTE or the date to reduce to one A (PTE). Given all of the confusion, the only authoritative source is the school itself after you have the A, and not whatever is posted here or elsewhere, no matter how well meaning the poster might be. Just my 2 cents.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, but I wouldn't rely on it. Whoever pulled it together just pulled it from websites, etc., and in a lot of cases the websites aren't clear on whether the 4/30 deadline is CTE or the date to reduce to one A (PTE). Given all of the confusion, the only authoritative source is the school itself after you have the A, and not whatever is posted here or elsewhere, no matter how well meaning the poster might be. Just my 2 cents.
I also wouldn't rely on someone who has yet to apply to medical school or take the MCAT but nonetheless inserts himself into every convo. I compiled the list of CTE dates with the caveat that they may not fully be accurate which is stated at the top of the list. They were pulled from MSAR or in some cases, like with Duke, I directly emailed the admissions office. It's always the impetus of the acceptee to check these dates but we're all competent adults
 
Last edited:
I also wouldn't rely on someone who has yet to apply to medical school or take the MCAT but nonetheless inserts himself into every convo. I compiled the list of CTE dates with the caveat that they may not fully be accurate which is stated at the top of the list. They were pulled from MSAR or in some cases, like with Duke, I directly emailed the admissions office. It's always the impetus of the acceptee to check these dates but we're all competent adults
Fair enough, but it sounds like we're both saying the same thing. It was admirable that you undertook to compile such a list, but since even you say the dates need to be confirmed before being relied upon, how is that different from my saying not to rely on them? In fact, it is you inserting yourself into this convo, while I have hardly inserted myself into the vast majority of your 1,054 posts, let alone "every convo"!

At the end of the day, you are correct. I was not questioning your data compilation skills; I was noting the inherent unreliability of the data itself due to the apparent confusion over this relatively new process, and I was only trying to help anyone who might be reading these posts without the benefit of that information, notwithstanding the fact that I did not apply this cycle. Again, you are correct -- I did not apply, and have no personal interest in whether or how anyone uses your list. I'm sorry for having an opinion and sharing it.
 
Last edited:
Fair enough; it sounds like we're both saying the same thing. It was admirable that you undertook to compile such a list, but since even you say the dates need to be confirmed before being relied upon, how is that different from my saying not to rely on them?
Why you even trust and admire @TheDataKing compile list based on your rational?
 
Fair enough, but it sounds like we're both saying the same thing. It was admirable that you undertook to compile such a list, but since even you say the dates need to be confirmed before being relied upon, how is that different from my saying not to rely on them? In fact, it is you inserting yourself into this convo, while I have hardly inserted myself into the vast majority of your 1,054 posts, let alone "every convo"!

At the end of the day, you are correct. I was not questioning your data compilation skills; I was noting the inherent unreliability of the data itself due to the apparent confusion over this relatively new process, and I was only trying to help anyone who might be reading these posts without the benefit of that information, notwithstanding the fact that I did not apply this cycle. Again, you are correct -- I did not apply, and have no personal interest in whether or how anyone uses your list. I'm sorry for having an opinion and sharing it.
You clearly have a personal interest in whether or not and how someone uses my lists. That said, your comments are becoming more and more bothersome and I'm going to model good SDN behavior and "ignore" you
 
Just wanted to say I'll still be referring to this page, since REL is extremely helpful and cleared a lot up for me regarding the traffic rules.
Just wanted to mention that at one of my interviews, the director of admissions told us that if we are waitlisted at their school, but a school we are accepted to is demanding that we commit to enroll, to go ahead and commit to enroll and "forget" to send an email to the waitlisted school. at the very least, don't create a paper trail. not my advice tho, please don't hurt me.
 
Not that I would use the PTE tool right now because it’s pointless, but I got an acceptance a few weeks ago and I don’t have the CYMS tool on AMCAS.
I am fairly certain that this is an automated function via AMCAS. It is possible that the program who offered you an acceptance has not yet notified AMCAS. Good idea to check with AMCAS.
 
Yeah, I know!!! It only becomes an issue IF you have an A at an early CTE school AND a WL at another school you'd rather attend, and both situations are highly speculative before you apply. I really was just hoping for a heads-up on who the offending schools are, since that information is not readily apparent if you are not an applicant holding an A at one of the schools, and it is useful information to keep in mind.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, hoping that someone in @REL's position can get AAMC to address the situation. Adcoms come here and say that this situation is unavoidable due to AAMC not wanting to be involved over fear of antitrust litigation, so schools are free to do this. I don't understanding that reasoning because AAMC, through AMCAS, DOES have some control over the process.

They set a common date for primaries to begin to be submitted. They set a common date for the earliest time an A can be communicated to an applicant. They set the deadline for PTE selections, and for holding no more than one A, by controlling what schools can see, and when. Why the hell can't they set a common CTE date that allows for post-4/30 WL movement for ALL candidates rather than only those who don't hold As at schools that choose to game the system in order to lock candidates in and limit their options??????????

This could be a long answer, but in short the AAMC is an association of the ~150 MD programs. They run the systems and provide the services and by virtue have quite a bit of power within the process but that stops short of enforcement. Med schools pay the fees and receive the information. The protocols of two years ago and earlier did have common and longstanding dates and general rules regarding when to respond, etc. Those rules, were highly respected by the medical schools and most abided by them. With the new changes the AAMC would no longer provide specific acceptance data to schools during the application cycle to protect applicant privacy. The protocols needed to be changed and, along the way, it was again stressed by the AAMC that they were not in the business of enforcement; enforcement was up to each member program. AMCAS also had to modify and came up with the PTE/CTE process for applicants which totally blinds med programs from any detailed acceptance information. Med programs were not happy and many do not respect the new rules. Knowing that there as no "sheriff in town" several programs decided to take advantage of setting their PTE/CTE dates unreasonably early in order to get the "best" applicants. Translation: force applicants to make commitments early thereby restricting applicant choice. I am a member of a group of admissions members across the country who want to restore some form or order and stop the early CTE's. The recommendation is that programs should not force CTE until 3-4 weeks prior to matriculation. Most in Florida are irresponsibly 7-8 weeks, one 12.

So, unfortunately applicants should just comply with program CTE dates (best resource for this date is MSAR). If you are being forced to CTE unreasonably early, do it. But also do not withdraw from your top choice program - med schools wont know. Do coordinate with that top choice program to let them know that you are interested, often they will understand your situation and keep you alive on their list. Also, if comfortable with it, please PM me, or call me to chat about any programs that are forcing you to do this. The more information that I have, the better our group can work on behalf of applicants.
 
Last edited:
I meant UCF. Does UCF send notification automatically or periodically?
Sorry, I misunderstood I was responding to the comment that you didnt have the CYMS tool. UCF will send out a monthly update to those on the Not Yet Accepted List. They have been send toward the end of the month in most instances and is not automated. One is due probably by the end of this week.
 
I assume the answer is probably not, but I thought I would ask anyways. If you CTE, and decide to go to another program... Can there be any repercussions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad