Magus5454

MS3 C/O 2022
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
So was talking to some incoming first years, if you follow all of their stuff, its 550 dollars off which still puts it at ~1625

About the Ads
Apr 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
My guess is that since anatomy lab isnt happening in the fall, they want to do some sort of VR thing in lieu of actually going into lab. Absolutely ridiculous to expect yall to buy an expensive laptop like that though
Yeah idk why they want us to buy it now considering in the PDF it says we'll use it to it's fullest extent in 2nd and 3rd year

fldoctorgirl

M3 transplanted from the beach to the midwest
2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Yeah idk why they want us to buy it now considering in the PDF it says we'll use it to it's fullest extent in 2nd and 3rd year
In 2nd and 3rd year?? But anatomy is in first year....what is this for....

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
i refuse to buy a 2k laptop when I JUST BOUGHT a 2k MacBook. absolutely not. if they want me to have it, they can provide it for free. :)

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
So was talking to some incoming first years, if you follow all of their stuff, its 550 dollars off which still puts it at ~1625
$1625 more than i have..

bioarchaeologist

MS2
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
The Temple of Zoom
Status
Medical Student
Yeah...no. I wouldn't buy it at all. Did you tell your big siblings about this? We can try and communicate with admin for you guys.

BellaWriterChic

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Unless there is something changing, I used my basic HP laptop with no issue over second year. They did say something about virtual work for some rotations since COVID but that was site dependent and we haven't heard anything about upgrading our devices for it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

About the Ads
Aug 9, 2018
I have a 1070 in my PC. I'm hoping it doesn't need to be laptop, if so that's honestly really excessive
Yea I feel the same. I dont see why it'd have to be a laptop. I got a PC with a 1080ti in it which I used all my blood and soul to save up for. If VR is a requirement, it would literaly be cheaper to buy the VR headset than to buy the "gaming laptop" lol.

Aug 19, 2018
US
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Yea I feel the same. I dont see why it'd have to be a laptop. I got a PC with a 1080ti in it which I used all my blood and soul to save up for. If VR is a requirement, it would literaly be cheaper to buy the VR headset than to buy the "gaming laptop" lol.
Literally. My PC can most likely run whatever VR and AR software they plan on using and it meets almost all the recommended specs for the "gaming laptop". Don't see the need to spend another 1,500 for a laptop on top of that

Jan 6, 2019
Don’t buy it yet since its not official. If you don’t have money to buy the laptop, you can always apply for aid as I’ve attached below. Also, the student handbook requires you to have a laptop meeting KCU specs. So if they require you to have it, you probably will need it. For those who have Macs, you have no graphics card that will run the software most likely and you’ll overheat your computer. theres a nice post detailing the specs made by a current student in the KCU 2024 facebook page.
D1806DBA-1560-403B-BC15-F2B205D46D6C.jpeg

Reactions: Booksandshoes

indiRanger

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2017
Status
If you have a PC that can run the specs, I'm 99% sure that will be fine. Espcially since we cant really be on campus

PorkChopsOG

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2017
Status
Medical Student
The best advice I have for all of the incoming first years is: relax. It will be okay. The things you think are a big deal now will seem trivial in the future. I look back at our first week of classes and the massive 'problems' we had, and they're pretty funny to think about now.

Aug 19, 2018
US
Status
So now that the IT course is open, I've noticed there are multiple "assignments" that require the use of the iPad, but we won't get the iPad until our first day of orientation, which is after the due date of 7/12 lol

Edit: Went back to that particular assignment after I did the others and it now says "No Due Date"

Last edited:
About the Ads

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Are KCUs rotation sites mostly preceptor or ward-based?

Also how do the KC sites (or sites with multiple hospitals) work? Does a student get assigned a particular hospital or do they rotate to different ones?
It's a mix, depends on the site. I would say mostly preceptor-based, but a lot of the preceptors work with residents. For example I'm staying in KC and I got my first 4 rotations: 2 of them are in hospitals with residents and I will be directly interacting with them. I think a mix is the best learning experience personally.

At KC, since it's preceptor-based, you get assigned to a preceptor and then basically go with them wherever they go. So there are lots of different hospitals and offices etc.

PorkChopsOG

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Are KCUs rotation sites mostly preceptor or ward-based?

Also how do the KC sites (or sites with multiple hospitals) work? Does a student get assigned a particular hospital or do they rotate to different ones?
this is very far away for you, but if you're not looking to stay in KC I'd recommend looking at other sites. All of my rotations were at a single teaching hospital with residents and residencies, and I feel like I got a very traditional 3rd year experience. 10/10 would recommend.

BobbyKoch

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
this is very far away for you, but if you're not looking to stay in KC I'd recommend looking at other sites. All of my rotations were at a single teaching hospital with residents and residencies, and I feel like I got a very traditional 3rd year experience. 10/10 would recommend.
With the understanding that it is in the future and likely different depending on site, would you mind speaking to how your living situation was for 3rd year? Did you move all of your stuff from KC to your site and set up an apartment, given that 4th year could be in an entirely different location and residency after that?

Just curious how this looks for people who leave KC. I like my apartment and living in KC but increasingly realize that I have no real reason to try to stay here.

PorkChopsOG

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2017
Status
Medical Student
With the understanding that it is in the future and likely different depending on site, would you mind speaking to how your living situation was for 3rd year? Did you move all of your stuff from KC to your site and set up an apartment, given that 4th year could be in an entirely different location and residency after that?

Just curious how this looks for people who leave KC. I like my apartment and living in KC but increasingly realize that I have no real reason to try to stay here.
I'm trying not to give too much identifying information, but my core site is in my home state close to my parents. I moved to an apartment within a few miles of the hospital where a lot of other students live. Our core site also allows us to do the majority of 4th year there, and I'm applying for residency there so I just had to find a few audition rotations in the area, which was very easy. If you have no reason to stay in KC, then definitely look into other core sites and see what you want. Do you want tons of hands on experience where it's just you and a preceptor? Go somewhere like Witchita. Do you want a traditional 3rd year experience with a lot of residents, residency programs, other medical students, and amazing networking opportunities? Look into some other core sites.

bioarchaeologist

MS2
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2015
The Temple of Zoom
Status
Medical Student
I'm trying not to give too much identifying information, but my core site is in my home state close to my parents. I moved to an apartment within a few miles of the hospital where a lot of other students live. Our core site also allows us to do the majority of 4th year there, and I'm applying for residency there so I just had to find a few audition rotations in the area, which was very easy. If you have no reason to stay in KC, then definitely look into other core sites and see what you want. Do you want tons of hands on experience where it's just you and a preceptor? Go somewhere like Witchita. Do you want a traditional 3rd year experience with a lot of residents, residency programs, other medical students, and amazing networking opportunities? Look into some other core sites.
So just to clarify, basically if you leave KC for 3rd year, you don't have to come back to KC at all 4th year other than for things like commencement etc and you can pretty much do all your electives anywhere the entire year?

PorkChopsOG

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2017
Status
Medical Student
So just to clarify, basically if you leave KC for 3rd year, you don't have to come back to KC at all 4th year other than for things like commencement etc and you can pretty much do all your electives anywhere the entire year?
Yeah your 4th year can be wherever you want, doing pretty much whatever you want. You do have to do an EM core rotation and COMAT, but that can also be done anywhere that meets the shift requirements.

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Yup. I'm in KC for 3rd year and I am still planning on leaving after and doing fourth year back at home (I only stayed in KC for 3rd year for personal reasons).

About the Ads

Mav13

2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2017
This gaming laptop thing seems kinda ridiculous maybe a current student can speak on it? I was originally planning to build a PC for myself with similar specs before starting classes.
Its interesting because that document says “subject to change” then also states “recommended”. Then it’s says not used to fullest leverage until 2nd and 3rd year... Do they think money is falling from the sky? What kinda sick scam are they trying to run on us.

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
2nd year here, but are the KC sites pretty popular aka is it relatively hard to stay in KC for 3rd year?
Depends on the year. There are a lot of spots and they're trying to increase them every year (that's what they say at least). I do know a good chunk of people didn't get KC this year despite wanting it and even writing appeals. But you can swap with people after the fact if you got a spot that someone else wants and vice versa.

Aug 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Depends on the year. There are a lot of spots and they're trying to increase them every year (that's what they say at least). I do know a good chunk of people didn't get KC this year despite wanting it and even writing appeals. But you can swap with people after the fact if you got a spot that someone else wants and vice versa.
do people with financial limitations get first priority?

PorkChopsOG

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2017
Status
Medical Student
do people with financial limitations get first priority?
No lol. It's a matching algorithm. However you can write a letter to the director of medical education stating any reasons you have for a certain spot, you can also write an appeal letter for any extenuating circumstances. However, you will not find out if those are accepted. They just tell you where you're going the same time/way as everyone else.

Nov 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Nope. Mine was definitely not on brand of what you could order from the school.

I was gonna ask about this as well! I noticed that the ophthalmoscope/otoscope are the most expensive items on the list, but a doctor who I worked with gifted me a Welch Allyn kit. If I don't need the exact model that the school is recommending, then I'd much rather buy the other parts individually.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

medstudent_2024

Eager Med Student
Feb 13, 2020
Status
Medical Student
I was gonna ask about this as well! I noticed that the ophthalmoscope/otoscope are the most expensive items on the list, but I a doctor who I worked with gifted me a Welch Allyn kit. If I don't need the exact model that the school is recommending, then I'd much rather buy the other parts individually.

That sounds like a really nice doc that loved you lol. Very lucky!!

BellaWriterChic

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I was gonna ask about this as well! I noticed that the ophthalmoscope/otoscope are the most expensive items on the list, but a doctor who I worked with gifted me a Welch Allyn kit. If I don't need the exact model that the school is recommending, then I'd much rather buy the other parts individually.

I was gifted a Welch Allyn by a family member and it worked for me well. So you should be good.

Reactions: S9F3

Schwifty

Drinking from a fire hose
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2018
USA
Status
Medical Student
What are some unspoken rules incoming students should be aware of or lessons you guys learned the hard way (non-academic rules/lessons)
Don't ask a ton of questions during lecture, probably won't be an issue for y'all if its still all remote learning, but if you are in class know there are other people there too, if you have a bunch of questions just wait till the end or send the professor an email, you don't want to be known as the person who's annoying for asking tons of questions.

Magus5454

MS3 C/O 2022
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
Nope. Basically what the other poster said, except this year even people who owned homes in locations (I believe there was someone in Joplin) got their letters declined lol.
Yep. It was crazy. I mean they were still in a location within driving distance, but still..

Aug 19, 2018
US
Status
Nope. Basically what the other poster said, except this year even people who owned homes in locations (I believe there was someone in Joplin) got their letters declined lol.
Oh shoot, that stresses me out a bit in all fairness. I'm moving to KC with my SO and the thought of possibly having to move or spend a year apart kind of sucks

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Oh shoot, that stresses me out a bit in all fairness. I'm moving to KC with my SO and the thought of possibly having to move or spend a year apart kind of sucks
I 100% get it, as I was in the exact same situation. I would say try not to stress out about it too much from now. There are a lot of spots in KC so hopefully you will be fine by the time it comes.

About the Ads