2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure! I interviewed in September and was waitlisted in November.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Thanks for your reply! I’m a KCU-COB student and I interviewed on Feb 15, 2020 and got waitlisted on March 26, 2020. Wonder when KCU will get back to us. Eagerly waiting...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
How long did it take for you guys to get your Net Partner account up and running? I've been trying to activate my account for the past week now and keep getting the error "Code IA". I paid my matriculation fees and completed student account set-up on 6/11.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for you guys to get your Net Partner account up and running? I've been trying to activate my account for the past week now and keep getting the error "Code IA". I paid my matriculation fees and completed student account set-up on 6/11.

Send an email to financial aid and they will help you out. I remember having the same error and they said it would be resolved by a certain day.

Reactions: 1 user
Send an email to financial aid and they will help you out. I remember having the same error and they said it would be resolved by a certain day.
I actually did and all they told me was that it takes a few days for Net Partner to be ready after setting up my account and paying the matriculation fees . I guess I'll check again next week.

Hey all, I am working on making a website filled with advice and wisdom I wish I knew earlier about being premed. I know my advisors at my school were not particularly helpful, so I am looking to something helpful out there for students to use. If you're interested in giving it a look, provide feedback, edit, and/or provide your own stories - give this a like and I will DM you!

Reactions: 10 users
Mandatory, small-group in-person activities will most likely begin as early as July 27. This is what i found from the website. but yes orientation will be all online i assume
This is correct. In-person, required curricular activities for OMSI students starts as early as July 27th.

Hi everyone!

I recently got pulled off the WL and am at a crossroads. I know the overwhelming recommendation would be to choose DO over an IMG MD (always), but I was recently accepted to start school in Australia and I'd love any feedback you can give. Their program has a partnership with a US clinical school so I would do my first two years in Australia and my third and fourth year in Louisiana. They have a 95.6% match rate and I am not interested in particularly competitive specialties (Right now I am interested in family med, peds, EM, and OBGYN).

The MD program does not start until January and I have already committed to a teaching position this fall as an Anatomy and Physiology Professor. I don't want to leave the college scrambling, especially with all the adjustments being made for Covid. I am also not especially thrilled to be starting my first year online as a medical student and scrambling to find living arrangements.

However, I did write a letter of intent to KCU as they were my top choice and I don't want to discredit my love of the program and the opportunities it provides. I had a great experience during my interview and loved Joplin. Are any of the reasons above valid for not taking this offer? (thanks in advanced)

• Hmm
Try to find out how many students make it through the Ochsner (is that it?) program. 95% match is meaningless if they are whittling down their students to only the top 1/2 or 1/3 of the class

I’m not saying it’s a bad program—I barely know anything about it. But if you can’t find their attrition rate or it is very difficult to find, I would be very suspicious.

Try to find out how many students make it through the Ochsner (is that it?) program. 95% match is meaningless if they are whittling down their students to only the top 1/2 or 1/3 of the class

I’m not saying it’s a bad program—I barely know anything about it. But if you can’t find their attrition rate or it is very difficult to find, I would be very suspicious.
Yes, it is Ochsner at the University of Queensland. I spoke with another student about attrition rates and got a vague response because it is not posted publicly. They had told me some students didn't apply for match b/c they either decided to stay in Australia or they took an additional year to do research. With that being said, their match list is pretty impressive, especially for an IMG school.

Also an interesting journal article

2020 matches - 95.4%
Anesthesiology
University Hosps-Jackson-MS
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA
University at Buffalo SOM-NY
U Arkansas COM-Little Rock
Loma Linda University-CA
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
University of Utah Health
Emergency medicine
U Florida COM-Jacksonville
U New Mexico SOM
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA
Family medicine
Central WA Family Med
UHS So California Med Ed Consortium
Montana Family Medicine
Providence Hospital-AK
Health Quest-NY
East Jefferson Gen Hosp-LA
Northside Hospital Gwinnett-GA
Middlesex Hospital-CT
Bon Secours Health System-VA
General surgery
Danbury Hospital-CT
LSUHSC-Shreveport-LA
Guthrie/Robert Packer Hosp-PA
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC
Internal medicine
HonorHealth-AZ
U Louisville SOM-KY
Tulane Univ SOM-LA
U Tennessee Grad SOM-Knoxville
Stamford Hospital/Columbia-CT
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Inova Fairfax Hospital-VA
Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan-OR
Sunrise Health GME Consortium-NV
St Elizabeths Med Ctr-MA
Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys
U Illinois COM-Chicago
Medicine-Pediatrics
U Louisville SOM-KY
Medicine-Primary
Neurological surgery
LSUHSC-Shreveport-LA
Neurology
U South Alabama Hospitals
Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Texas Med Sch-Houston
Bridgeport Hospital-CT
University of Hawaii
Orthopaedic surgery
Pathology
U Arizona COM-Tucson
MedStar Georgetown Univ Hosp-DC
Pediatrics
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL
Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys
Valley Childrens Healthcare-CA
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Baystate Med Ctr-MA
Physical medicine & rehab
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX
Kingsbrook Jewish Med Ctr-NY
Psychiatry
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA
LSUHSC-Shreveport-LA
Radiology-Diagnostic
Zucker SOM-Northwell NS/LIJ-NY
Surgery-Preliminary
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Guthrie/Robert Packer Hosp-PA
Transitional
Henry Ford Allegiance Health-MI
HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani GME-Blake-FL

First of all, congratulations on getting accepted off the waitlist! Where do you see yourself practicing? US? Australia? In the long-term, which program is your preference? Feel free to DM me if you want to talk to someone about it.
Hi everyone!

I recently got pulled off the WL and am at a crossroads. I know the overwhelming recommendation would be to choose DO over an IMG MD (always), but I was recently accepted to start school in Australia and I'd love any feedback you can give. Their program has a partnership with a US clinical school so I would do my first two years in Australia and my third and fourth year in Louisiana. They have a 95.6% match rate and I am not interested in particularly competitive specialties (Right now I am interested in family med, peds, EM, and OBGYN).

The MD program does not start until January and I have already committed to a teaching position this fall as an Anatomy and Physiology Professor. I don't want to leave the college scrambling, especially with all the adjustments being made for Covid. I am also not especially thrilled to be starting my first year online as a medical student and scrambling to find living arrangements.

However, I did write a letter of intent to KCU as they were my top choice and I don't want to discredit my love of the program and the opportunities it provides. I had a great experience during my interview and loved Joplin. Are any of the reasons above valid for not taking this offer? (thanks in advanced)

Reactions: 1 users
Just keep in mind it’s not just those who decided not to apply for the match. It’s everyone who failed MS1, 2, 3, etc.

Also, barring any fam down undah, you’ll be a very expensive plane ticket from your family and friends. I can’t imagine doing that more than maybe once per year?

If I were you, and you really want those letters after your name, I’d take a year to bulk up my amcas and try to get in stateside. Or just come to KCU and be a doctor at least one year earlier.

that must be Queensland U + biggest tertiary medical center in New Orlean program (like joint operation, not a partnership), QU is a great school that 90% of US med schools' mother University can't even compare with (Top 50 worldwide maybe). I looked into that program but just for the cost of living, I didn't apply (it think it will cost almost two-fold than KCU). If you can afford that program and would like to live aboard for two years, then QU > KCU otherwise don't go. BTW I got an II earlier this year from Tel Aviv, but declined it because I got into KCU. Overall, i think IMG MD usually means those offshore not others with a great reputation. like no one is going to say US MD/DO > a medical degree from Cambridge

Another pro to UQ is that they accept federal loans. The difference in COA isn't HORRIBLE. (KCU is at $49K/year and UQ is at $67K/year).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just keep in mind it’s not just those who decided not to apply for the match. It’s everyone who failed MS1, 2, 3, etc.

Also, barring any fam down undah, you’ll be a very expensive plane ticket from your family and friends. I can’t imagine doing that more than maybe once per year?

If I were you, and you really want those letters after your name, I’d take a year to bulk up my amcas and try to get in stateside. Or just come to KCU and be a doctor at least one year earlier.
$500 plane ticket for me there now, one way. I wouldn't have to worry about friends/family creating distractions and I'd be back in the states in two years.

And that's an excellent point I considered! However, the uncertainty and the fluctuation in candidates every year creates too much of an unknown. If I turned down two acceptances to two great schools, I'd shoot myself in the foot if I didn't get in the next cycle and had to wait another two years to even start my medical education.

Hi everyone!

Ochsner is a dope school and presents unique opportunities but what it boils down to is what your career goals are.

I believe Ochsner does not teach to boards (i.e. go into the same depth in certain topics which isn't a big deal tbh), I think you would still be classified as IMG (not sure about this tho), and while Ochsner is honestly probably the 'better' school and you will likely come out as a well prepared student there's just more unknowns involved. The best thing to do is ask some current/former UQ students and see what they have to say about their experience and how the match went for them.

Reactions: 2 users
Ochsner is a dope school and presents unique opportunities but what it boils down to is what your career goals are.

I believe Ochsner does not teach to boards (i.e. go into the same depth in certain topics which isn't a big deal tbh), I think you would still be classified as IMG (not sure about this tho), and while Ochsner is honestly probably the 'better' school and you will likely come out as a well-prepared student there's just more unknowns involved. The best thing to do is ask some current/former UQ students and see what they have to say about their experience and how the match went for them.
Ochsner has modified their curriculum to be more tailored towards boards and they now offer a USMLE prep course. In almost any situation you ask a student their perspective, they have "no regrets". I have to make a decision by 10am tomorrow for KCU, which doesn't even give me a full 24 hours to decide.

If I would have gotten this acceptance two months ago, I would be crying tears of joy, but the past month I have become more and more excited for UQ.

That is limited time to decide. How is Ochsner preparing their students for successful residency placement, especially with USMILE Step 1 being P/F for us?
Ochsner has modified their curriculum to be more tailored towards boards and they now offer a USMLE prep course. In almost any situation you ask a student their perspective, they have "no regrets". I have to make a decision by 10am tomorrow for KCU, which doesn't even give me a full 24 hours to decide.

If I would have gotten this acceptance two months ago, I would be crying tears of joy, but the past month I have become more and more excited for UQ.

Which school has better student support and resources? Academically, both are strong programs.

Current third year at KCU. I'm currently in the midst of board prep so I'll admit I just skimmed your points and didn't read them word for word, so sorry if I missed anything.

If you want to practice in the US, go to school in the US. There's really no reason to go elsewhere if that's the goal in my opinion. You are just complicating things for yourself.

Reactions: 5 users
Because I haven't accepted the offer I have not been given any information as far as deadlines, when class starts, the status of orientation, if there is still a white coat ceremony... Anyone mind sending me a tentative fall schedule?

Everything is in the link: COM Matriculation. White coat ceremony is TBD.
Because I haven't accepted the offer I have not been given any information as far as deadlines, when class starts, the status of orientation, if there is still a white coat ceremony... Anyone mind sending me a tentative fall schedule?

Orientation begins July 13 for us, and we are required to be in Kansas City/Joplin by then. Classes begin July 27.

I accepted my seat off the waitlist!

Now a rather silly question. I am scheduled to teach anatomy and physiology during the fall semester as an adjunct professor, online due to covid. (T/Th nights for a total of 3 hours a week). It'd give me an extra $600 a month and it's relevant to medical school. Is this doable? I completed my masters in a program that mimicked med school rigor with cadaver labs and the like and I definitely would have had the time then.

Am I insane for considering this? (I really don't want to leave the college I currently work for hanging).

I accepted my seat off the waitlist!

Now a rather silly question. I am scheduled to teach anatomy and physiology during the fall semester as an adjunct professor, online due to covid. (T/Th nights for a total of 3 hours a week). It'd give me an extra $600 a month and it's relevant to medical school. Is this doable? I completed my masters in a program that mimicked med school rigor with cadaver labs and the like and I definitely would have had the time then.

Am I insane for considering this? (I really don't want to leave the college I currently work for hanging).

I don't think you're insane for considering this. The extra experience would set you apart for competitive residencies, however I think you mentioned earlier you are looking more into primary care?

Either way, plenty of people do research in their first 1-2 years of medical school which could amount to 10-20 hours/week depending on the specific research position. The only thing I would be weary of is how much time will creating the lesson plan and tutoring (if required) will add on to the hours you spend a week filling this roll. I was a teaching intern in undergrad and did not realize the "2 hours/week" that I signed up for was really 10-15 hours/week with lesson plan and tutoring added in.

I think if you are an organized person who is good with time management, then you should keep the position.

I don't think you're insane for considering this. The extra experience would set you apart for competitive residencies, however I think you mentioned earlier you are looking more into primary care?

Either way, plenty of people do research in their first 1-2 years of medical school which could amount to 10-20 hours/week depending on the specific research position. The only thing I would be weary of is how much time will creating the lesson plan and tutoring (if required) will add on to the hours you spend a week filling this roll. I was a teaching intern in undergrad and did not realize the "2 hours/week" that I signed up for was really 10-15 hours/week with lesson plan and tutoring added in.

I think if you are an organized person who is good with time management, then you should keep the position.
I have been working for the school since the Spring and there are pre-formed lecture slides given to us from the publishers of the textbook we work with. It wouldn't need that much remodeling and I have one required "office hour" where students can ask questions. We also have instructional associates who work under us to teach concepts that students are having difficulties with. Overall, it wouldn't be an insane time commitment.

I am glad to hear this is a valid consideration. I really wouldn't have this opportunity to teach online if it hadn't been for the covid situation. An extra form of income can definitely make things less stressful.

I have been working for the school since the Spring and there are pre-formed lecture slides given to us from the publishers of the textbook we work with. It wouldn't need that much remodeling and I have one required "office hour" where students can ask questions. We also have instructional associates who work under us to teach concepts that students are having difficulties with. Overall, it wouldn't be an insane time commitment.

I am glad to hear this is a valid consideration. I really wouldn't have this opportunity to teach online if it hadn't been for the covid situation. An extra form of income can definitely make things less stressful.

Oh I didn't realize it is online too. That saves even more time in not having to travel to campus. As someone who has been a tutor/instructor before, I would 100% take this opportunity because I love teaching and I'm sure you do too. Also the fact that you have the pre-made lectures and associates working under you... it seems like a no brainer in my mind lol. Good luck!

Tbh, first semester I felt like I was drowning. I was trying to go to every class and still study 50+ hours per week. It was exhausting. Once I figured out the most efficient way to study (for me), I had more free time than I knew what to do with. Some times I’d really push it as far as I could and see how little I could study and still swing an A in the class. If you think you have your study method down, especially with everything online, you should be able to pull it off. As others have said, it’s a unique opportunities and will add to your CV.

i wonder how we go about finding research at KCU during the first semester..

i wonder how we go about finding research at KCU during the first semester..

What I have done thus far is look up research projects that I'm interested in within Kansas City. I'm going to email the PI's and tell them a little about myself and why I want to work with them. It's worth a shot.

Hey y'all! I'm interested in doing research at KCU but wanted to also make sure that I'm able to handle my course load. would it be smart to start off first semester with a research project? and also, how did y'all go about searching for research for the year? i already got started with finding something for next summer but wanted to match into a competitive specialty so i wanted to get more on my plate.

Just accepted off the wait list! Any recommendations on last minute housing/safe areas in the city?

Hey y'all! I'm interested in doing research at KCU but wanted to also make sure that I'm able to handle my course load. would it be smart to start off first semester with a research project? and also, how did y'all go about searching for research for the year? i already got started with finding something for next summer but wanted to match into a competitive specialty so i wanted to get more on my plate.
I would not start first semester with a project. I would wait tilll half way through once you get the hang of things and the pace of med school

Does anyone know how late classes/labs may be in the fall? I looked at our schedule and it isn't time-specific.
I am contacting my employer today about teaching the online anatomy class I spoke of for the college I currently work for. The class I would teach would start at 6pm and I want to make sure I wouldn't have any scheduling conflicts. Can past students perhaps speak on this schedule?

Does anyone know how late classes/labs may be in the fall? I looked at our schedule and it isn't time-specific.
I am contacting my employer today about teaching the online anatomy class I spoke of for the college I currently work for. The class I would teach would start at 6pm and I want to make sure I wouldn't have any scheduling conflicts. Can past students perhaps speak on this schedule?
Never past 5. And never before 8am.

Thank you!

On another note, does anyone have a medkit they are trying to sell? :)
I did not see which campus you were accepted to (congrats btw!) but each campus has a Buy/Sell Group. That would be a place to look for anyone selling Med Kits, books, furniture, etc

I did not see which campus you were accepted to (congrats btw!) but each campus has a Buy/Sell Group. That would be a place to look for anyone selling Med Kits, books, furniture, etc
Thanks! Would you happen to know an acceptable price to purchase a used medkit? I know they can get pretty expensive when you purchase new.

Thanks! Would you happen to know an acceptable price to purchase a used medkit? I know they can get pretty expensive when you purchase new.
I think i have seen some selling theirs for around $500 without the stethoscope, which is what most paid when they got it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using SDN mobile

Just accepted off the wait list! Any recommendations on last minute housing/safe areas in the city?
I recently went with The Heights at Linden Square, a little far from campus (15 minute drive) but it fit my preferences and I think it is worth considering. I am an incoming MS1 so have no experience living there tho. CT is very popular and convenient as well for KCU students.

I recently went with The Heights at Linden Square, a little far from campus (15 minute drive) but it fit my preferences and I think it is worth considering. I am an incoming MS1 so have no experience living there tho. CT is very popular and convenient as well for KCU students.
i can ditto on this, i loved the heights also! i ended up going somewhere closer to campus but the heights was def on my list!

Hey all! I didn't get an email about this but was coincidentally checking the Orientation page, and it looks like they have updated it!
It says we will get a drive-though welcome on the 13th and we'll get a welcome box. It also says we need to do an IT training through the single-sign-on portal before school starts.

I got my orientation email today, as well as the email for a free item! On the plus side, orientation should be fun.

I prefer blackboard to Canvas; so, part of me isn't looking forward to canvas.