2019-2020 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you be able to share your stats?
SGPA 3.8 GRAD GPA 4.0 POSTBAC GPA 4.0 CGPA 3.7, URM, research, disadvantaged, veteran, numerous community based ECs. Stats aren't important, they are looking holistically at the applicant. Your stats may be better or worst, but you won't know what they are looking for. They are more concerned with completely diversifying their class.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
SGPA 3.8 GRAD GPA 4.0 POSTBAC GPA 4.0 CGPA 3.7, URM, research, disadvantaged, veteran, numerous community based ECs. Stats aren't important, they are looking holistically at the applicant. Your stats may be better or worst, but you won't know what they are looking for. They are more concerned with completely diversifying their class.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that stats aren't important. Did someone say that during your interview?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that stats aren't important. Did someone say that during your interview?

Once you receive an interview, your stats are no longer their primary concern. At my interview they told us that they had already determined that everyone interviewing had the stats and ability to be successful in medical school. They went on to say what they really want to see is how well you can communicate , how similar your mission is to theirs, and really whether or not you have whatever personal skills they find important and can’t gather from reading the stats on your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In
No, I just think too many people are obsessed with knowing people's stats like that's going to increase their chances of getting an offer. It's not!

Once you receive an interview, your stats are no longer their primary concern. At my interview they told us that they had already determined that everyone interviewing had the stats and ability to be successful in medical school. They went on to say what they really want to see is how well you can communicate , how similar your mission is to theirs, and really whether or not you have whatever personal skills they find important and can’t gather from reading the stats on your application.

Fair.

No, I just think too many people are obsessed with knowing people's stats like that's going to increase their chances of getting an offer. It's not!

True. It's good to know for people who are thinking of applying or reapplying, but yeah, once you've applied I think the best thing you can do is stay off SDN.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so divisive in my response. I definitely agree that they're more holistic than most schools. I think they're more likely to overlook bad stats if you have an application that fits their mission or story, and for the same reason applicants with MD-competitive MCAT scores and solid GPAs aren't always a shoo-in. But sub-495 MCAT scorers are probably still going to have a hard time of it.

Fair.

True. It's good to know for people who are thinking of applying or reapplying, but yeah, once you've applied I think the best thing you can do is stay off SDN.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so divisive in my response. I definitely agree that they're more holistic than most schools. I think they're more likely to overlook bad stats if you have an application that fits their mission or story, and for the same reason applicants with MD-competitive MCAT scores and solid GPAs aren't always a shoo-in. But sub-495 MCAT scorers are probably still going to have a hard time of it.
I didn't take any offense. I understand that this process is competitive, I just think the schools make us think we are competing against one another. The truth is, they are competing against one another for us. We get to decide where we complete our medical education. That's all...

Reactions: 1 user
Fair.

I agree.

So I messed up and even though I got the secondary in August, I didn't submit until October. Some schools will track a delay in secondaries, but LMU is genuinely one of my top two schools. Has anyone who submitted in October got a II yet?

So I messed up and even though I got the secondary in August, I didn't submit until October. Some schools will track a delay in secondaries, but LMU is genuinely one of my top two schools. Has anyone who submitted in October got a II yet?

Yes

I didn't take any offense. I understand that this process is competitive, I just think the schools make us think we are competing against one another. The truth is, they are competing against one another for us. We get to decide where we complete our medical education. That's all...

To be fair, a lot of applicants don't get to decide where they go, and some don't decide if they go. Plenty of people only get accepted to one school, and plenty don't get accepted anywhere. I think asking about scores is more often a sign of people with lower stats trying to figure out if they're competitive, not trying to one-up their competition.

Don’t worry too much about your stats guys. I had a 498 and got accepted early last cycle. There’s more to an applicant than stats!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi
Accepted!!!! at Knoxville just got the call :)
hi,

Would you be able to share your application timeline and stats with me? I would appreciate any information. Also, please share your interview experience.

Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

hi,

Would you be able to share your application timeline and stats with me? I would appreciate any information. Also, please share your interview experience.

Thank you very much
I was complete early July, received my interview invite in late September after an MCAT retake, LM ~66. Interview day was amazing! Overall, I loved the experience I had at the school, with my interviewers, and medical students there. Every one was very friendly and welcoming. Definitely recommend applying here/attending interview day if you have the chance! This is one of my top choices, especially after interview day.

Just got my call this morning!

Reactions: 5 users
Wondering what are my chances of getting interview with MCAT 499, cGPA 3.62, sGPA 3.58 and over 1000 hours of clinical & volunteer hours

Hi guys,
Received and cancelled my interview today, hope it goes to you guys!

Wondering what are my chances of getting interview with MCAT 499, cGPA 3.62, sGPA 3.58 and over 1000 hours of clinical & volunteer hours

There are current students with similar stats. Any ties to appalachia/rural medicine or service? What's the breakdown of clinical vs volunteer and do you have any shadowing?

There are current students with similar stats. Any ties to appalachia/rural medicine or service? What's the breakdown of clinical vs volunteer and do you have any shadowing?
No ties to appalachian or rural medicine. About 450 volunteer hours and the rest are clinical.

No ties to appalachian or rural medicine. About 450 volunteer hours and the rest are clinical.

You have a much better shot if you wrote about being interested in rural med or their mission, but you still definitely have a chance of an interview. If you haven't done any shadowing, that will up your chances for most schools (especially if you can shadow a DO).

Is anyone concerned about the accreditation status for this school?

Is anyone concerned about the accreditation status for this school?

If you search this thread for 'accreditation' you can find the discussion that took place. I think it's fair to say that the main concerns that have been raised are in the new Knoxville campus (which seems to have taken a month or so to get completely up to par, but is online and functioning well for the students there) and the rotation sites for the class size increase (which we won't know until the current first-years hit rotations in third year). But, they are still fully accredited without warnings or probation, despite the heightened monitoring. From page 7 of this thread:

Does anyone know anything about the accreditation warning?

As per LMU-DCOM's website:

Following the most recent accreditation review and site visit in early 2018, LMU-DCOM was found to be compliant with 57 of 61 elements and reaccredited by the COCA through 2022. In accordance with the newly established rubric developed by the COCA, LMU-DCOM was granted continuing accreditation with heightened monitoring. LMU-DCOM submitted a progress report November 1, 2018 and COCA accepted the progress report without amendments and all standards were met. COCA has also granted LMU-DCOM approval for an additional location and class size increase in Knoxville, TN starting Fall 2019.

Personally, I would assume it has something to do with opening the Knoxville campus. As I have said before, applying to COCA for a 50% class size increase and a new campus that you haven't finished building the year before accreditation review is a good way to guarantee that COCA won't roll up in a year and say, "Tell us how it goes! See you in 10 years!" I suspect they want to keep a close eye on Knoxville during its first few years, and at the time of the accreditation review they still didn't have all the walls up at Knoxville campus, so I'm sure they found enough to ding them on accreditation standards.

But that's just a personal theory. I don't think COCA or LMU have said anything public as to what specific elements weren't up to par.

Awesome, congrats to everyone getting accepted here. I am a 4th year here, and there are a few helpful sites out there from people at the school. Check out comprepmed.com and then another one is the SAA site. If you google DCOM SAA, it should pull up. These two sites will help you navigate the logisttics and then comprepmed has information on studying in medical school.

Congrats, and enjoy the ride!

Thank you so much! I'm looking through the website right now, and it's super helpful.

Have anyone paid the matriculation deposit yet?

I'm going to pay it within a week or so. Has anyone else paid yet?

II today! Going to decline because of acceptance to one of my top choices. Good luck everyone!

Thank you so much! I'm looking through the website right now, and it's super helpful.

I'm going to pay it within a week or so. Has anyone else paid yet?
I'm waiting until deadline.

Did anyone who interviewed at Knoxville on 11/8 hear back today? I thought they said expect to hear something today but maybe I misunderstood.

Admissions say to give them at least 2 weeks to send decisions. Today is the earliest we could hear back, but it's also an interview day which probably took up a lot of their time. Based on previous posts in this thread, I'm shooting for Sunday/Monday.

Got the call from Knoxville this morning. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
YASSSSS!! Just got the call!! Interviewed at Harrogate 11/8!

• Love
Congrats to all who were accepted!

Is it fair to say if we weren’t called today then we weren’t accepted?
Not necessarily, because you may still get a letter. The call is nice, but the letter is priceless!

Got the acceptance call yesterday morning! Knoxville campus! Interviewed 11/8

Hi everyone! I just got the acceptance phone call this morning about an hour ago! I interviewed at Harrogate on 11/08. I am so excited to meet everyone. For those that have not received a call yet, they are still making calls throughout the week. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Received an email this morning placing me on the alternate list. Unsure if spots are all filled or not, haven’t received any feedback yet.

I'm not accepting the offer, I just received acceptance at my 1st choice.

Received an email about being placed on the alternates list as well. If we're sending a letter of intent, should we send it to Whitney or to the general admissions committee?

Admissions say to give them at least 2 weeks to send decisions. Today is the earliest we could hear back, but it's also an interview day which probably took up a lot of their time. Based on previous posts in this thread, I'm shooting for Sunday/Monday.
Congrats on your acceptance! Are you a URM? Where did you apply?

II today but I withdrew, I hope one of you gets it!

This place blows go elsewhere unless it’s your own acceptance

• Wow
  • Angry