2019-2020 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you not recommend staying in the inn?
No just ask prior residents. For the price or less you can get an awesome apartment close to campus without the issues. For cheaper you can get a house and share it. For about the same you can get a duplex at ball which is about the same distance and a better area

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No just ask prior residents. For the price or less you can get an awesome apartment close to campus without the issues. For cheaper you can get a house and share it. For about the same you can get a duplex at ball which is about the same distance and a better area
What apartment buildings do you suggest looking at then? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know the approximate post interview acceptance rate?

Thanks!

Ball realty does not sure on tk but google has numbers

Reactions: 1 user
There are sooo many options for apartments! Depends what you’re looking for and how close you want to be to campus. They made a housing FB group for our class, as well, which helped!

Hey, thank you for all of your informative posts! Would you be able to PM me? I have a few questions. :)

Those at Knoxville campus prob have more options but I know they are a little pricier than those in harrogate. Personally I’d rather live in harrogate than Knoxville. Less traffic and cheaper to live plus tax free food shopping in middlesboro. If you have a family you can qualify for Medicaid easier in KY if you live there. Some people might frown on that but you will be paying 35-38% taxes once u are an attending so make the best of government support (legally) and KY has more options for that. You will reimburse the government a hundred fold. Not to mention the 6-7% loan interest lol.
Knoxville is great if you got the money but if not harrogate is far superior. and knox is only an hour a way from harrogate if you find yourself wishing for a Post test party night. But I guess if someone is coming from a big city and has parental support knox might be more appealing

Have anyone received more information on how to complete the immunizations, health forms, and back groud check?

I got an interview for 1/31 at the Harrogate campus! This thread seems very long so I don't know if I will be able to read all the posts before then but if anyone would be so kind as to pm me with any info it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Last edited:
I got an interview for 1/31 at the Harrogate campus! This thread seems very long so I don't know if I will be able to read all the posts before then but if anyone would be so kind as to pm me with any info it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Congrats! Did they call or email you? Would you mind sharing some of your stats? and if you are in state or out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have anyone received more information on how to complete the immunizations, health forms, and back groud check?
just find our that we need to pay deposit to secure our seats before the background clearence

Congrats! Did they call or email you? Would you mind sharing some of your stats? and if you are in state or out of state?

They emailed me! PM me for stats but I’m OOS. (However in a boarder state so that might have helped some!)

Received a II via email. OOS applicant. I am so excited about LMU-DCOM!

would this be mentioned in secondaries or personal statement?

Sorry for the delayed response. Either, really - the written responses are an opportunity for you to tailor your application to each school you apply to, to convince them that you want to go to their school, not just any school.

Hey everyone!!! Just got accepted to the harrogate campus! I have heard housing can be hard to find! I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations! AND if anyone knew about a facebook group/page or something where we can start meeting the other students because I am looking for roommates!!

There is a Facebook group. Lots of landlords post there - there are not many apartment complexes like there are in most college towns, most rentals are single family houses or duplexes that are owned by an individual. I recommend touring in-person if at all possible, even if that means taking a weekend to do it, because some landlords aren't as honest as others and will use outdated photos of a house that they're renovating, and some landlords will say that there's only one safe neighborhood in Middlesboro and their property is it (it isn't). They want to rent to DCOM students because they know they're good tenants, can pay the rent, and won't cause trouble. Ask to talk to current tenants. Middlesboro generally has more properties and cheaper rent than Harrogate, so a lot of people live there (living in KY is better for government benefits, and while TN is income tax-free, most people who have working spouses don't make enough to make the increased cost of living worth it).

I honestly thought the inn was a good option when I did the tour. Do you really think is bad? I feel like I wouldn't like to live in a house during my first semester since I am not familiar and don't know the place very well. I was thinking about living in the inn in my first semester and then look for a better option when I learn more about the place. What do you guys plan on doing?

The Inn isn't great, but it's a safe bet if you can't find somewhere else. WiFi isn't super reliable based on currents students' opinions, you probably won't want to go through moving again once you're here, and it's more expensive than most places in Middlesboro. I would recommend finding a rental off-campus.

(edited to add: Living off-campus is also a good way to familiarize yourself with the surrounding area.)

And yes, housing is a lot less expensive in Middlesboro than most people are used to. You can rent a house for $800/month, easily, that's bigger and nicer than the Inn. You don't need roommates to stay in the school's budget.

Anyone know how long they will be extending interview invites?

Anyone know how long they will be extending interview invites?

Probably into the beginning of March. They publicize that they interview through April, and usually invite for dates about a month or so out.

Probably into the beginning of March. They publicize that they interview through April, and usually invite for dates about a month or so out.
Also, keep in mind that around February/ March they interview students from their master's program, correct me if I am wrong please. Those are kind of guaranteed spots that they reserve to them (as long as they keep their grades and everything). That means there will be fewer available spots for a "regular" applicant. But again, there's a lot of things going on. People getting off the waitlist and being accepted and so on.

Out of curiosity, if there's anyone waitlisted, would you mind sharing your stats?

Also, keep in mind that around February/ March they interview students from their master's program, correct me if I am wrong please. Those are kind of guaranteed spots that they reserve to them (as long as they keep their grades and everything). That means there will be fewer available spots for a "regular" applicant. But again, there's a lot of things going on. People getting off the waitlist and being accepted and so on.

That is true, master's students interview in the spring. I think some of them do so in January, too. But DCOM interviews every Friday and have something like 25 spots? At least? So there may be less than the fall, but still plenty of spots for the general application pool.

I know an applicant who got waitlisted recently with a 498/3.6ish.

Got an interview with two dates to choose. Jan 31st or Feb 14th. Super Excited.

Reactions: 5 users
I am interviewing on Jan 31st and any tips on the interview? Thank you.

I am interviewing on Jan 31st and any tips on the interview? Thank you.
Just be yourself and prepare for some “standard” questions, such as “why medicine, or why LMU, or why osteopathic medicine in specific, or why should I pick you, or what makes you different” stuff like that. Those are some that I had on top of my head, but in general, just be prepared.

Does anyone know where or to whom exactly application updates are to be sent, once you are waitlisted post-interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Does anyone know where or to whom exactly application updates are to be sent, once you are waitlisted post-interview?

Most likely to your email (the one conneced to your AACOMAS account).

There is a general admissions email address ([email protected]) but I think in the past people have sent it to Whitney Porter (Director of Admissions) or Robin Lamb (Admissions Assistant) to have updates added to your file.

Those at Knoxville campus prob have more options but I know they are a little pricier than those in harrogate. Personally I’d rather live in harrogate than Knoxville. Less traffic and cheaper to live plus tax free food shopping in middlesboro. If you have a family you can qualify for Medicaid easier in KY if you live there. Some people might frown on that but you will be paying 35-38% taxes once u are an attending so make the best of government support (legally) and KY has more options for that. You will reimburse the government a hundred fold. Not to mention the 6-7% loan interest lol.
Knoxville is great if you got the money but if not harrogate is far superior. and knox is only an hour a way from harrogate if you find yourself wishing for a Post test party night. But I guess if someone is coming from a big city and has parental support knox might be more appealing

Agree with this. Actually you don’t even need a family to get Medicaid in KY. Take it from me my friend. :)

Hi! does anyone know the post int acceptance rate??

Does anyone know if they ask what location you'd like to attend/your preference during your interview? I interview at Harrogate soon but plan on touring Knoxville immediately after my Harrogate interview, so I technically wouldn't have my full decision until I am able to see both campuses.

Does anyone know if they ask what location you'd like to attend/your preference during your interview? I interview at Harrogate soon but plan on touring Knoxville immediately after my Harrogate interview, so I technically wouldn't have my full decision until I am able to see both campuses.

By my understanding they go based on what preference you listed on your secondary application (Harrogate/Knoxville/no preference) but if you change your mind during the interview/tour, you can just email admissions to have your preference updated after your interview.

By my understanding they go based on what preference you listed on your secondary application (Harrogate/Knoxville/no preference) but if you change your mind during the interview/tour, you can just email admissions to have your preference updated after your interview.

Oh okay, so they don’t ask for your preference during the interview?

Oh okay, so they don’t ask for your preference during the interview?

If you listed Knoxville as your preference on your secondary they try to place you there if there are available spots when you are accepted. If you listed Harrogate or no preference then they will take Harrogate as your preference unless you tell them otherwise, because they have more spots to give at that location. Put simply, no, they usually do not ask your preference during the interview. If you want to change what you listed on your secondary you should email them or talk to them (probably Elyse) on your interview day.

got II email yesterday for knoxville, dates to choose from were 1/31, 2/7, and 2/14

I interview on 2/7 at the Harrogate campus. There is an optional Knoxville tour. Does this mean I have the option of attending the Knoxville campus? I don’t have a preference but I could live at home if I went to the Knoxville campus.

I interview on 2/7 at the Harrogate campus. There is an optional Knoxville tour. Does this mean I have the option of attending the Knoxville campus? I don’t have a preference but I could live at home if I went to the Knoxville campus.
If I could live at my house, I would definitely select Knoxville as my first option!!

Yes, contact elyse at the Knoxville location and schedule a tour of the campus after your harrogate interview is done. Many students do this! :)

Yes, contact elyse at the Knoxville location and schedule a tour of the campus after your harrogate interview is done. Many students do this! :)
Thanks! I scheduled a tour for the Thursday before my interview. Going through this thread, there seem to be pros and cons to both campuses and it appears that people prefer the Harrogate campus because it is more established and some instructors aren’t even present in Knoxville and just have their lectures broadcast to Knoxville. Do you think one campus is better over another? Living at home is in no way a deal breaker.

Thanks! I scheduled a tour for the Thursday before my interview. Going through this thread, there seem to be pros and cons to both campuses and it appears that people prefer the Harrogate campus because it is more established and some instructors aren’t even present in Knoxville and just have their lectures broadcast to Knoxville. Do you think one campus is better over another? Living at home is in no way a deal breaker.

Im at the Knox campus and I couldn't be happier about my decision. The campus is brand new and really nice (technology is new). The faculty/staff are amazing and are very supportive as well as receptive to our needs (they really go above and beyond to make our time here enjoyable as well as make sure we have the resources we need). The "established" thing doesn't matter, our campus doesn't have any issues i can pin on that comment. Just like some professors aren't present in Knoxville, some professors aren't present in Harrogate. It's 50/50 so if its an issue for a student it will be an issue on both campuses. For most of the people I know this 50/50 has not been a problem because professors that are not on the campus visit each campus, hold office hours when they can on the other campus, give out their phones numbers and emails for questions even on weekends, some have done online office hour sessions. Example: last semester the Histology professor was based out of Knoxville while the Biochemistry prof was based out of Harrogate. This semester the Immunology professor is based in Knox, but the Physio prof is based out of Harrogate.

Being from here I am sure you know the area is very nice in Knox and you have everything you could ever need. I am not from a rural area so when I interviewed in Harrogate I was concerned about the quality of life in such an isolated area and my options there (food, safety, housing, shopping, coffee shops to study in). For anyone that are concerned about money, I am on loans and I will be fine. Is rent cheaper in Harrogate? Yeah, we pay around $850. Would I be happy in the middle of nowhere though? Nope. So it depends on you. (just to clarify this isn't about nightlife, I have yet to go out in Knoxville and wouldn't make my decision based on that. I don't think anyone would.)

I prefer the Knoxville campus any day of the week. It is safe to say that most if not all the Knox students feel this way.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Im at the Knox campus and I couldn't be happier about my decision. The campus is brand new and really nice (technology is new). The faculty/staff are amazing and are very supportive as well as receptive to our needs (they really go above and beyond to make our time here enjoyable as well as make sure we have the resources we need). The "established" thing doesn't matter, our campus doesn't have any issues i can pin on that comment. Just like some professors aren't present in Knoxville, some professors aren't present in Harrogate. It's 50/50 so if its an issue for a student it will be an issue on both campuses. For most of the people I know this 50/50 has not been a problem because professors that are not on the campus visit each campus, hold office hours when they can on the other campus, give out their phones numbers and emails for questions even on weekends, some have done online office hour sessions. Example: last semester the Histology professor was based out of Knoxville while the Biochemistry prof was based out of Harrogate. This semester the Immunology professor is based in Knox, but the Physio prof is based out of Harrogate.

Being from here I am sure you know the area is very nice in Knox and you have everything you could ever need. I am not from a rural area so when I interviewed in Harrogate I was concerned about the quality of life in such an isolated area and my options there (food, safety, housing, shopping, coffee shops to study in). For anyone that are concerned about money, I am on loans and I will be fine. Is rent cheaper in Harrogate? Yeah, we pay around $850. Would I be happy in the middle of nowhere though? Nope. So it depends on you. (just to clarify this isn't about nightlife, I have yet to go out in Knoxville and wouldn't make my decision based on that. I don't think anyone would.)

I prefer the Knoxville campus any day of the week. It is safe to say that most if not all the Knox students feel this way.
10/10 agree with everything above!! I love my knox fam and our teachers rock First semester was rough only for biochem instruction but they’re hiring a knox professor soon. This semester most of the professors are up here. But it’s never been an issue to get help!

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you so much for the clarification! Some of the negative comments I’ve seen have just been freaking me out since LMU is my top choice! I think any school can be a bad school with some people’s negative attitude. Im from a very small town outside of Knoxville so I am equally well acquainted with small town and city living. I am very excited to interview soon! Has anyone mentioned how the interviews are structured? Like one-on-one or group interviews?

Thank you so much for the clarification! Some of the negative comments I’ve seen have just been freaking me out since LMU is my top choice! I think any school can be a bad school with some people’s negative attitude. Im from a very small town outside of Knoxville so I am equally well acquainted with small town and city living. I am very excited to interview soon! Has anyone mentioned how the interviews are structured? Like one-on-one or group interviews?

Interviewees will have 2 interviewers. Very laid back just be yourself! I am also a student at Knox and I have had nothing but good experiences here. RT what was said above lol it’s an awesome family here, I feel so grateful ❤️

Most of the Knoxville students that I've met have said the same things that @Ostkoshbgosh and @premedmommyx2 said. Instruction goes back and forth via webcasting, and plenty of people don't go to class in favor of just watching recorded lectures, so not too much of pro/con there. Harrogate is more established, but all that really means is that the facilities and procedures have been around longer and they're on LMU's main campus, so they have more resources in terms of student services (access to the gym, the pool, the cafeteria, the counseling center, etc.), but those resources aren't as important to most graduate/professional students that I know of. Some people use the gym and people use the counseling, but it's not really a big deciding factor for most people in terms of which campus they want to go to. Still, some people would rather feel more secure in not being one of the first classes of a new campus, which is perfectly reasonable.

If you have a support system (that you're not actively trying to escape) in Knoxville, that's probably a really good reason to request that campus. But if you're used to a small town and you want to stay in that kind of environment, there certainly aren't as many distractions in Harrogate. It's about personal pro/cons, so definitely visit both campuses if you're on the fence.

Can our current Knoxville students speak to student services on that campus? I heard rumors that they were going to put in a gym, but haven't been up that way in awhile. Obviously there are gyms and services all over Knoxville, but did they put anything in on campus or offer any free* services to students?

We do have counseling services. I haven’t heard about a gym being made. The staff worked out a special discount for us at the YMCA at the beginning of last semester so a lot of student use that. We do get food trucks on campus as well. We also have a lot of food delivery services here (Postmates, Uber eats, Grubhub etc) and a lot of students use it while studying on campus to buy chipotle, and a lot of other restaurants around here. There are a lot of food options in Knoxville. While harrogate doesn’t really have any

We do have counseling services. I haven’t heard about a gym being made. The staff worked out a special discount for us at the YMCA at the beginning of last semester so a lot of student use that. We do get food trucks on campus as well. We also have a lot of food delivery services here (Postmates, Uber eats, Grubhub etc) and a lot of students use it while studying on campus to buy chipotle, and a lot of other restaurants around here. There are a lot of food options in Knoxville. While harrogate doesn’t really have any

It's good that they do have counseling available. There are restaurants in Harrogate/Middlesboro, but yeah no Chipotle or Panera and very limited delivery options in comparison.

Most of the Knoxville students that I've met have said the same things that @Ostkoshbgosh and @premedmommyx2 said. Instruction goes back and forth via webcasting, and plenty of people don't go to class in favor of just watching recorded lectures, so not too much of pro/con there. Harrogate is more established, but all that really means is that the facilities and procedures have been around longer and they're on LMU's main campus, so they have more resources in terms of student services (access to the gym, the pool, the cafeteria, the counseling center, etc.), but those resources aren't as important to most graduate/professional students that I know of. Some people use the gym and people use the counseling, but it's not really a big deciding factor for most people in terms of which campus they want to go to. Still, some people would rather feel more secure in not being one of the first classes of a new campus, which is perfectly reasonable.

If you have a support system (that you're not actively trying to escape) in Knoxville, that's probably a really good reason to request that campus. But if you're used to a small town and you want to stay in that kind of environment, there certainly aren't as many distractions in Harrogate. It's about personal pro/cons, so definitely visit both campuses if you're on the fence.

Can our current Knoxville students speak to student services on that campus? I heard rumors that they were going to put in a gym, but haven't been up that way in awhile. Obviously there are gyms and services all over Knoxville, but did they put anything in on campus or offer any free* services to students?

i talked to admin about this earlier in the week. DCOM now owns all the land surrounding our main building and there is a lot of discussion about adding a gym and dining hall over the years. As someone mentioned above we do have food trucks (sometimes), but as more students come next year and beyond they’ll have it more frequently.

i talked to admin about this earlier in the week. DCOM now owns all the land surrounding our main building and there is a lot of discussion about adding a gym and dining hall over the years. As someone mentioned above we do have food trucks (sometimes), but as more students come next year and beyond they’ll have it more frequently.

I would be really surprised if they added a dining hall given how few students are there and how infrequently off-campus students tend to use dining facilities. Maybe some affiliated vendors (like how they have Starbucks and Chick Fil A on main campus). I've heard that the food trucks are very popular when they're there.