2019-2020 Medical University of South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I've read much earlier in this forum that some people heard their waitlist is very small and most people get accepted. Anyone have any insight regarding that? Asking for a friend who is currently waitlisted and hoping for the best...
1586477627503.png

This is from MSAR. It said a couple of weeks ago that the waitlist typically contains 25-30 people, and 20 people were accepted off of it. It seems like the waitlist is much longer this year. I'm thinking it's because of last year's traffic rule changes.

Members don't see this ad.

View attachment 301752
This is from MSAR. It said a couple of weeks ago that the waitlist typically contains 25-30 people, and 20 people were accepted off of it. It seems like the waitlist is much longer this year. I'm thinking it's because of last year's traffic rule changes.
What traffic rule changes were made?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, before last year, they could see how many of their applicants had multiple acceptances.
Can schools see your acceptances if you utilize the choose your medical school tool?

Can schools see your acceptances if you utilize the choose your medical school tool?
1586480288559.png

It looks like they'll only be notified if you select "commit to enroll" for the time being. However, it seems like they'll know after April 30th if you selected "plan to enroll" for another school. At no point will they know which schools you were accepted into or how many, though.

View attachment 301757
It looks like they'll only be notified if you select "commit to enroll" for the time being. However, it seems like they'll know after April 30th if you selected "plan to enroll" for another school. At no point will they know which schools you were accepted into or how many, though.
I see. Thank you for sharing that

View attachment 301752
So do you think the numbers in the "pending" column have nothing to do with the waitlist numbers?

Has anyone reached out to Mrs. Kerr/scholarship board about scholarships? Still haven't heard anything...

Has anyone reached out to Mrs. Kerr/scholarship board about scholarships? Still haven't heard anything...
I emailed Wanda Taylor about a week ago and she said I should hear at the beginning of this week. Since we didn't hear I'm assuming they had some sort of delay. I emailed her again last night but haven't heard anything yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, I would like to hear soon so I can make an informed decision... I was kind of bummed to not hear earlier this week

I want to, but unfortunately I don’t live in Charleston and I believe you have to be on MUSC WiFi to access the chart

So do you think the numbers in the "pending" column have nothing to do with the waitlist numbers?

I work on campus so I've been checking every morning, I'll try to post when/if numbers change. So far nothing different today. MUSC has intense network security or whatever it's called so you have to be connected to their server to access it.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what the difference between "pending" or "in progress" is. If I had to guess, I would say in progress would be waitlist, although it seems awfully small, and pending are people who have been offered either from WL or accepted and haven't put a deposit in yet /accepted a seat or it could be those who are accepted but haven't PTE. if someone who has been accepted can tell us how long you have to accept an offer/put down a deposit that would be really helpful!

Also I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at the IS WL first over the OOS which is why the IS is smaller since maybe they are going through that first? we also don't know how many people have dropped off due to self-elimination so who knows. Just my opinion.

I work on campus so I've been checking every morning, I'll try to post when/if numbers change. So far nothing different today. MUSC has intense network security or whatever it's called so you have to be connected to their server to access it.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what the difference between "pending" or "in progress" is. If I had to guess, I would say in progress would be waitlist, although it seems awfully small, and pending are people who have been offered either from WL or accepted and haven't put a deposit in yet /accepted a seat or it could be those who are accepted but haven't PTE. if someone who has been accepted can tell us how long you have to accept an offer/put down a deposit that would be really helpful!

Also I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at the IS WL first over the OOS which is why the IS is smaller since maybe they are going through that first? we also don't know how many people have dropped off due to self-elimination so who knows. Just my opinion.
I was accepted March 17th and they sent us our packets by email yesterday. So if everyone received it yesterday we have until April 23rd to put down the deposit.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted March 17th and they sent us our packets by email yesterday. So if everyone received it yesterday we have until April 23rd to put down the deposit.
I might have interpreted your messages above incorrectly, but the the deadline to apply for scholarships was March 15 so if you were accepted after that, I don't think you could apply? Unless they extended the deadline!

Members don't see this ad :)
I might have interpreted your messages above incorrectly, but the the deadline to apply for scholarships was March 15 so if you were accepted after that, I don't think you could apply? Unless they extended the deadline!
They extended the deadline! They emailed us the link to apply and said the deadline was March 24th.

Honestly, I would like to hear soon so I can make an informed decision... I was kind of bummed to not hear earlier this week

Yea kinda frustrating...let me know if you get a response/hear any updates!

Yea kinda frustrating...let me know if you get a response/hear any updates!
Good luck, sometimes they take forever to respond to anything. I only got my interview invite 3 days before. Glad I didn't miss it!

Scholarship email today! Will likely be committing to MUSC!

Has anyone gotten a reply from admissions about which third of the waitlist they're on?

Has anyone gotten a reply from admissions about which third of the waitlist they're on?
Yeah, I did. I got an email the next day (I think it was like the 19th of March) and they told me they don’t provide that info. So some policy change must have happened between last year and this year

whoever makes the accepted students fb pages be slacking... don't they know we literally have nothing better to do with our time rn than facebook stalk our future classmates

Reactions: 5 users
Well I think that could be easy to figure out. If you are IS waitlist like my comment and if its gets more than 4 then we know its the pending column! (I know not everyone on waitlist would be on SDN but worth a try!)

Reactions: 11 users
Well I think that could be easy to figure out. If you are IS waitlist like my comment and if its gets more than 4 then we know its the pending column! (I know not everyone on waitlist would be on SDN but worth a try!)

I am OOS waitlist but my friend who is not on SDN is IS waitlist

Or is it 34 on WL? We aren’t sure!
Or, and I really hope this isn’t the case, there could be a huge waitlist not represented here. Pending could be people offered acceptance who haven’t made a deposit or committed or whatever.

Really good idea, if it gets more than ten (assuming non waitlist people don’t like this comment) we’ll know the waitlist isn’t in progress or pending, it’s tracked elsewhere

Or, and I really hope this isn’t the case, there could be a huge waitlist not represented here. Pending could be people offered acceptance who haven’t made a deposit or committed or whatever.

This is what I also thought and apparently people who were accepted have until April 23rd to put the deposit in so I think that is the case for the Pending Column.

This is what I also thought and apparently people who were accepted have until April 23rd to put the deposit in so I think that is the case for the Pending Column.
So, I turned in a deposit yesterday and received confirmation from my credit card company that it was processed... So given the change from 14 to 10 I think it's quite possible that the "pending" is people who have been accepted but haven't paid their deposit yet...

But then, that makes it really weird that the waitlist would only have 4 IS student's on it... Is that even possible?

So, I turned in a deposit yesterday and received confirmation from my credit card company that it was processed... So given the change from 14 to 10 I think it's quite possible that the "pending" is people who have been accepted but haven't paid their deposit yet...

But then, that makes it really weird that the waitlist would only have 4 IS student's on it... Is that even possible?

That would make a lot of sense and based on just qwkeendoc's post which 6 people have liked, that would not make sense at all. Maybe they are trying to be mysterious about it?? maybe a typo?? who knows

Damn, then it does seem likely the waitlist isn’t even represented here and could be any size.

But then what could the in progress represent?
The way the number has dropped so dramatically without big changes to the other columns, it could be a sorting thing for them. Don’t know exactly. There were 217 in progress a month ago. Much bigger than their usual waitlist and it’s hard to believe there were that many withdrawals

Okay so, I think that if we compare the previous screenshot from April 7th to the one from today, the IS pending column had 13 people on it and then now has 10. The accepting column increased by 2 and the declining column increased by 3. So I think it's safe to say that the pending column = student's who have not yet made a decision/paid their deposit. I think we will see this column decrease over the next few weeks up to April 30th.

Given this, it also would make sense that the in progress column COULD be the waitlist given that it has not changed much over the last few weeks. What is really interesting, is that the only change in it is in the OOS column, which decreased from 31 to 30. If this is the waitlist, then I guess this could either mean that one OOS person dropped out, or that one OOS person was offered a seat in the class...

I don't think they accounted for waitlist on that chart. If 8 people liked my comment (9 including me) that's more than the IS in the In progress column.

I don't think they accounted for waitlist on that chart. If 8 people liked my comment (9 including me) that's more than the IS in the In progress column.
But then what could the in progress column be? Like others have said, it hasnt changed in weeks

But then what could the in progress column be? Like others have said, it hasnt changed in weeks
We might gain a better idea of whether or not it is the waitlist in the next few weeks. Especially if we see drops in the accepted or increases in the declining column followed by changes in the in progress column. To me, that would definitely indicate they are taking people from that column and moving them to acceptance... I think that's the only way we will know whether or not it's the waitlist.

We might gain a better idea of whether or not it is the waitlist in the next few weeks. Especially if we see drops in the accepted or increases in the declining column followed by changes in the in progress column. To me, that would definitely indicate they are taking people from that column and moving them to acceptance... I think that's the only way we will know whether or not it's the waitlist.
Deep down I know you’re right, but I’m so tired of just waiting around lol. Oh that’s the game I suppose

For people who just received their acceptance packets, what was the deadline to pay your deposit?