2019-2020 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does movement usually happen around the CTE deadline (June 15th?) or ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call for the SELECT program!! Thank you for the hope and support you guys have given me through the grueling waitlist. It looks like the waitlist is still moving and really wish you guys the best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the call for the SELECT program!! Thank you for the hope and support you guys have given me through the grueling waitlist. It looks like the waitlist is still moving and really wish you guys the best of luck!
Congrats my dude!!

Hey @Shade1111, I got the call for SELECT on Monday as well, congrats! Have you heard anything from the school since? I'm trying to get everything together so my little family can move down to Tampa, but I can't get a response from anyone at USF via phone or email.

Last edited:
Hey @Shade1111, I got the call for SELECT on Monday as well, congrats! Have you heard anything from the school since? I'm trying to get everything together so my little family can move down to Tampa, but I can't get a response from anyone at USF via phone or email.

Thank you so much and congrats to you too!! I haven’t heard anything at all and also haven't been able to get through to USF via phone. During the acceptance call, Dr. Daniel mentioned that they would mail out the acceptance packets on Tuesday and they should be arriving on Friday, so hopefully we see those pretty soon. He also mentioned that I should be able to see the Choose Your Medical School tab on AMCAS within an hour of the call, but that hasn’t popped up for me yet either. Have you had any luck with the CYMS tab on AMCAS yet?

I understand that USF had double the national average for SOAP this year. Can anyone comment on why this occurred, if this is abnormal for USF, what the SOAP rate has been in the past few years, and if anything is being done to change this in the future?

Thank you so much and congrats to you too!! I haven’t heard anything at all and also haven't been able to get through to USF via phone. During the acceptance call, Dr. Daniel mentioned that they would mail out the acceptance packets on Tuesday and they should be arriving on Friday, so hopefully we see those pretty soon. He also mentioned that I should be able to see the Choose Your Medical School tab on AMCAS within an hour of the call, but that hasn’t popped up for me yet either. Have you had any luck with the CYMS tab on AMCAS yet?

Good to know about the packet timing, thank you! Hopefully that has more information. I did have luck with the CYMS tab and USF showed up that afternoon like he said it would. Strange that your CYMS has not updated with USF. I'm suspect it's just an oversight as the admissions office seems rather disorganized right now with the coronavirus. I would say call them... but they don't answer, haha.

Good to know about the packet timing, thank you! Hopefully that has more information. I did have luck with the CYMS tab and USF showed up that afternoon like he said it would. Strange that your CYMS has not updated with USF. I'm suspect it's just an oversight as the admissions office seems rather disorganized right now with the coronavirus. I would say call them... but they don't answer, haha.
It seems that it was there all along but I just didn’t know where to navigate to find the tab. I’m officially committed now so all that stress is gone :D Thanks for your help in figuring this out!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Shade1111 and @Bre , do you guys mind sharing your stats ? Thanks!
My LizzyM is 71 (GPA sub 3.5 and MCAT 518+). However, I have strong research experiences that were backed with an MPH so that may have helped out especially for the SELECT program. Dr. Daniel also mentioned that my interview went really well and my interviewer was impressed. It seems to me that the most important factors were my MCAT, research and interview performance. I’d be happy to answer any other questions you or others may have :)

@Shade1111 and @Bre , do you guys mind sharing your stats ? Thanks!
@Shade1111 must be my twin. I'm also GPA sub 3.5 and MCAT 518+ with a LizzyM around the same. Good research and publications. No MPH but I am a career changer (if you couldn't tell by my SDN join date of 2007).

Btw Shade I did get an email back from admissions today and get my USF email set up. No financial aid docs available yet though.

@Shade1111 must be my twin. I'm also GPA sub 3.5 and MCAT 518+ with a LizzyM around the same. Good research and publications. No MPH but I am a career changer (if you couldn't tell by my SDN join date of 2007).

Btw Shade I did get an email back from admissions today and get my USF email set up. No financial aid docs available yet though.
Haha nice stats :cool: I also got my email set up and still waiting on the financial aid docs. Have you received that admissions packet yet? I've been paying close attention to my mail since Thursday, but nothing has came in yet

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I’m a member of the incoming class and was hoping if anyone knew the answer to two questions:

1) Has USF announced if they are going to be virtual this semester, in person, or a mix of both? And,

2) Are all classes and what not in the new building primarily? Choosing my housing and want to ideally live by whatever is closest.

Thanks!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I’m a member of the incoming class and was hoping if anyone knew the answer to two questions:

1) Has USF announced if they are going to be virtual this semester, in person, or a mix of both? And,

2) Are all classes and what not in the new building primarily? Choosing my housing and want to ideally live by whatever is closest.

Thanks!
Join the GroupMe that's posted on the Facebook page! Classes will be in-person from what we can tell so far. Some lectures could be virtual, but I think small-group stuff will be in-person. Basically you should be in Tampa on July 27th. Classes are all downtown. Doctoring may be at a USF building on Davis Islands. Anatomy lab is at CAMLS. Channelside and Harbor Island are closest to the new building. Hyde Park is another living option as well but you'd need to drive to school. The only reason to be up by north campus would be for rotations or research at the Morsani Center, VA, or Moffitt

There are 309 members in the Facebook group. Many are current students/staff rather than incoming students, but I don't know how many of each.

Does that mean that theres still ~40 spots left if theres only 140 in the group chat?

I withdrew my spot on the waitlist bc I had to meet other schools deadlines. Good luck to all those waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
Realistically, are we looking at anymore waitlist movement or is it minimal at this point? Like only a couple of spots?
144 in group chat right now but some accepted might not be in it yet. There are most likely spots left. By the pattern of acceptance from people I know it seems like waitlist is in chronological order base on interview date

Reactions: 1 users
@MedicoOA Has anyone gotten off the waitlist with an April interview date yet? Are you sure it's chronologically, because I know people who have been on the waitlist since October and still haven't gotten off?

@MedicoOA Has anyone gotten off the waitlist with an April interview date yet? Are you sure it's chronologically, because I know people who have been on the waitlist since October and still haven't gotten off?

it’s definitely not chronological. I interviewed in February and got off the waitlist the first day they started movement.

Reactions: 1 users
The fin-aid, and in general the publicity for the school have been awful. If this was a sales pitch, I would give it an F, my other "A" did a way better job. It's actually really sad, they didn't advertise any of their positives, it's like a bunch of marketing majors with no medical school knowledge took 3 hours to compile the second look website and what not.

But I did a lot of research on this and, barring any last second acceptance at some T20 schools I was WL'd at, I think Imma pick USF for the April 30th deadline.
The students I spoke had the same typical number of complaints as those from my other school...so weirdly enough, the "problems" with organization are actually better later.

The school is still in Florida, the new building looks great, and in general the school seems to be growing. There are tons of minie bonuses that add up that they never mentioned: like that SELECT helps you do QI research projects that residencies really like (the guidance seems awesome because research is a weak spot for me), they give you a little 2k moving stipend (supposedly) to move to Lehigh, Lehigh's rotations are way "chiller" (you get more off time to do SHELF and STEP2 prep and in general sleep and not die lol, people said they consistently get weekends off instead of just 1 day off like other rotations, and apparently the chillness has zero negative impact on your clinical abilities, they're just kinder and won't drive you crazy), you can do away rotations super freaking easily, your fourth year can end in like FEBRUARY (no kidding, one student told me they did their last rotation in February, and they ended up going to UCSF for residency), you can arrange your sched apparently to make a butt ton of time for STEP2, SELECT is like a little resume booster considering the whole STEP1 P/F debacle so maybe will help you stand out, 4th year you can almost purely do electives, in other words just do rotations in your wanted field to really pump out your letters of rec and credentials if you set your mind on a specialty, lots of personalized attention at LVHN, and the list goes on.

Also other things, like to chill out about the pre-clinical grading: apparently only 3d year grades get used for AOA (and I think maybe even ranking). The first 2 years literally are just a psychological trick to get you to study. While that sucks and causes stress, most schools that pretend to be P/F are lying (well at least my other acceptance is), and still keep a "secret" class ranking that you can bet your ass they will share with residencies whether you like it or not lol. So saying the graded thing is a huge negative I think should be taken with a grain of salt, because, trust me, TRUE P/F schools are rare, and most of the P/F schools sprouting around are definitely still ranking you, some with your preclinical grades also included (except you don't even know how you're doing!!!). To be fair, it's still extra stress to see myself missing a HP and getting a P. But I don't think I care so much anymore.

Edit: I could keep going (lol I'm just trying to list everything because I'm going crazy with having to pick a school finally lmao).
Having an all star Dean is a big plus: Charles Lockwood is actually a heavyweight (read his Bio and prepare to be wowed), unlike some of other Deans who either are unimpressive, or worse are not involved at all with the school and kind of just show up for 2-3 years and then leave with their resumes poofed up.
Also, this will be controversial and people will disagree with me hardcore on this, but I think the US World Research ranking (which USF got its highest mark at #47) is the most reliable grade we have of it, and that's top 50 which is legit. Research ranking at least has a very clear formula: how much research/NIH money do you rake in, and a few other ACTUALLY MEASURABLE data points. No offense, but the Primary Care and PD rankings are BS lol. Like, did you reach out to EVERY director in the country, and ask them to rank schools from 1 to 200? Lol. Yea right. Also, even if you want to go into Primary Care, how the **** did they determine a Primary Care ranking lmao? I'm fairly sure going to a research heavy institution will open just as many doors to Primary Care...so that's an utterly pointless ranking.
The SOAP thing was weird. Yeah, for some mysterious reason Ortho got shredded, no doubt. But when I look at the match list, I see so many Rads and other specialties, I really doubt the school is going to hold you back at all. If anything, I'm sure the admin and Lockwood are going to berate the residencies, and in a few years (with STEP1 P/F) USF and LVHN are both going to be taking Morsani students like crazy.
I can't believe you haven't been arrested yet, @TheDilPickle--racists should not be allowed

Well CTE has passed for Select, so it'd be nice to see someone get in on here because it would give me more hope for core

Reactions: 4 users
Is the GroupMe still at 145 even after the CTE Select Deadline passed?

CTE for CORE is tomorrow, then school starts a week later lol. Ive also heard that students have been pulled off the waitlist up until the end of the first week of classes which is crazy.

Also for those that are admitted already, has USF announced any changes to its curriculum due to covid? Also are you able to see how many students are in your classes through the canvas pages? Maybe that could be more accurate though I've heard some M2s might be in the same classes which could inflate that number a bit