2022-2023 UT Tyler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, so I was accepted on 1/25 with a 12/13 interview. I've been creeping on this thread since I turned in my secondary... lol so I know there's a groupme for accepted students! May I have in?👀

p.s. I don't remember my science GPA but I graduated 3.59 over all four years of undergrad here in East Texas. I had a good GPA trend upwards my junior and senior year. Highest MCAT 500. I've worked as a scribe in ETX for almost 2 years now.

A fellow applicant reminded me once so I'll restate it: Remember you can't standardize a person! I think my stats and my story speak to that!
congrats! I’ll PM you the link:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, so I was accepted on 1/25 with a 12/13 interview. I've been creeping on this thread since I turned in my secondary... lol so I know there's a groupme for accepted students! May I have in?👀

p.s. I don't remember my science GPA but I graduated 3.59 over all four years of undergrad here in East Texas. I had a good GPA trend upwards my junior and senior year. Highest MCAT 500. I've worked as a scribe in ETX for almost 2 years now.

A fellow applicant reminded me once so I'll restate it: Remember you can't standardize a person! I think my stats and my story speak to that!
Love that! Did you grow up in ETX?

Members don't see this ad :)

Sound like me. Hopefully, they think so. 6 years scribe. 4.0 in grad school. I did my interview 1/19. so hoping to hear back soon. Congrats!

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure anyone not affiliated with the school has an exact number, but 30-35ish would be my estimate.

Reactions: 3 users
Prematch 1/25 also! Interviewed 12/13. I am Non trad from east Texas.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
it sounds like they haven’t started to go backwards at all. they’ll likely fill up before they loop back around to earlier interview dates :(

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My husband and I are both hoping to get into UT Tyler so we can go to the same medical school so we'll be anxiously waiting these next couple weeks 😅😅

Any news?
I guess nothing yet but maybe this week they are reviewing everything and making decisions for the final pre-matches. Hopefully next week they will send out the rest 😅

My friend got the call A today. He had a high MCAT, is from ETX, and lots of volunteer hours.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
they’re definitely not coming back for us early dates… only on 12/20 with a few interview dates to consider & 7 prematch spots left maximum. see y’all 3/3 😭

Reactions: 1 user
they’re definitely not coming back for us early dates… only on 12/20 with a few interview dates to consider & 7 prematch spots left maximum. see y’all 3/3 😭
Maybe they circle back to the start? 🙏

Schools can still send prematches? I thought the cutoff for that was January 31st.

Only 3 more weeks and our wait will finally be over!

another survey email to give me another heart attack 😭

one of my friends who got in from a september interview date had a 524 🫠 the rest of their app was insane too, very deserving applicant
Holy crap that's an insane MCAT. If I had to guess they probably have a ton of love everywhere in the country with that score

Holy crap that's an insane MCAT. If I had to guess they probably have a ton of love everywhere in the country with that score
524 definitely aint coming to UTT. Not sure why they are wasting that admission.

524 definitely aint coming to UTT. Not sure why they are wasting that admission.
You never know. Tbh, a student who is capable of scoring a 524 is probably capable of matching anywhere or any specialty they want regardless of their institution, so they should just go to any school they'd be happy in

Reactions: 4 users
I think the MCAT score gets your foot in the door and from there it comes down to your interview and the rest of you application. We have seen such a variety of MCAT scores get accepted to UT Tyler and so the most important thing is demonstration of ETX commitment and experience!

You never know. Tbh, a student who is capable of scoring a 524 is probably capable of matching anywhere or any specialty they want regardless of their institution, so they should just go to any school they'd be happy in
Other than tuition money which is not a lot on the grand scheme of things for someone who might do a specialization, what do you see as giving them happiness in a brand new school?

To be frank, I have never seen a high performing student being happy in being stuck in an average performing group. I have seen people admitted to Ivy league join UTD for the UTSW admission because they were forced by parents and drop out and not even go on to medicine.

• Dislike
Other than tuition money which is not a lot on the grand scheme of things for someone who might do a specialization, what do you see as giving them happiness in a brand new school?

To be frank, I have never seen a high performing student being happy in being stuck in an average performing group. I have seen people admitted to Ivy league join UTD for the UTSW admission because they were forced by parents and drop out and not even go on to medicine.
I mean, you are saying all this without even knowing the person. Who knows, maybe their entire family is there, or spouse has a job there. Kids in a good school district. Prestige of school isn't that important in the grand scheme of things unless you want to go into specific competitive specialties

It sounds like you’ve missed the mission of the school. Many who have grown up in ETX have strong ties and the desire to stay here, which is exactly the type of student they are hoping to admit. Taking the focus off of stats doesn’t mean the student is not going to be happy because they are stuck with “average performing” students. Just as you will see at U of H and UTRGV, the mission is to find students who feel a desire to serve the population of ETX and meet some of the unmet needs in an underserved area. That mission can include any potential student with a strong focus on training in a rural/underserved area even if they had a perfect MCAT score. Performing well in academics does not automatically mean a student only wants to attend a rigorous, T20 school such as UT Southwestern.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
It sounds like you’ve missed the mission of the school. Many who have grown up in ETX have strong ties and the desire to stay here, which is exactly the type of student they are hoping to admit. Taking the focus off of stats doesn’t mean the student is not going to be happy because they are stuck with “average performing” students. Just as you will see at U of H and UTRGV, the mission is to find students who feel a desire to serve the population of ETX and meet some of the unmet needs in an underserved area. That mission can include any potential student with a strong focus on training in a rural/underserved area even if they had a perfect MCAT score. Performing well in academics does not automatically mean a student only wants to attend a rigorous, T20 school such as UT Southwestern.

Couldn’t agree more!

The school has an obligation to this community to pick the best 40 for their school. It's not a wasted pre-match if they are considered a top applicant. It is exactly what they are suppose to do.

Reactions: 9 users

I’ve spoken with many of the accepted students and each one is an abnormally high achieving applicant who will serve and carry out UTT mission very well. Go where you’re happy and where you will thrive, as your patients will never ask what your MCAT score is.

Reactions: 8 users
There are high achieving applicants from UTRGV area who decided to forego their interviews since they were already admitted to almost every school in Texas plus outside texas. There are ways for people to serve without having to attend a local school if they have opportunities to play at a national level and able to come back in a bigger role than just being a local doc. When they attend bigger name schools, they get into positions running big healthcare departments. I know someone who is running Virginia medicare/medicaid at age 32 from Lufkin because they were able to attend Harvard, do a policy fellowship and end up in one of the highest positions at that age.

I have personally talked to a couple of students with 524+ scores who feel they are underachieving with having to "settle for Baylor" last year after interviewing at several T10 schools and being waitlisted and ultimately dropped from them. That feeling does not go away when you are part of the top 0.5% of all applicants.

I think that's a valid point, but ultimately it depends on the individual and their own needs/wants. Probably best to just leave it at that

There are high achieving applicants from UTRGV area who decided to forego their interviews since they were already admitted to almost every school in Texas plus outside texas. There are ways for people to serve without having to attend a local school if they have opportunities to play at a national level and able to come back in a bigger role than just being a local doc. When they attend bigger name schools, they get into positions running big healthcare departments. I know someone who is running Virginia medicare/medicaid at age 32 from Lufkin because they were able to attend Harvard, do a policy fellowship and end up in one of the highest positions at that age.

I have personally talked to a couple of students with 524+ scores who feel they are underachieving with having to "settle for Baylor" last year after interviewing at several T10 schools and being waitlisted and ultimately dropped from them. That feeling does not go away when you are part of the top 0.5% of all applicants.

One or two scenarios doesn't apply to all people. You know this. You used the word "definitely" which means "without a doubt" in a context that is wrapped in doubt.

they’re staying! very mission oriented person. i was surprised too but UTT is doing well at choosing people who want to stay :)

Tbh - I’m kinda of confused to how y’all know how many spots are left?

Tbh - I’m kinda of confused to how y’all know how many spots are left?
they said 28 spots had been offered as of the groundbreaking + how many people have said they got offers on here :) not everyone is on sdn ofc so it could be fewer which is why i’ve said max spots left

they said 28 spots had been offered as of the groundbreaking + how many people have said they got offers on here :) not everyone is on sdn ofc so it could be fewer which is why i’ve said max spots left
Okay makes sense. It seems like they have not been through January yet. I could be wrong though lol.