2022-2023 UT Tyler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
🥲 where's my email

Members don't see this ad.

I got the WL email too after matching to a higher ranked school on my list. +1 more spot open
@clintstevens and @hadv3r even though it's kind of an error on Tyler's part, politely reply to the email and decline the WL position, saying you are accepted to a school that suits your goals.

Reactions: 2 users
@clintstevens and @hadv3r even though it's kind of an error on Tyler's part, politely reply to the email and decline the WL position, saying you are accepted to a school that suits your goals.
Oh ok I wasn’t sure if I had to email them or they would’ve fixed it. But I’ll email them rn

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the waitlist email even tho I was matched to a school I ranked higher. I'm assuming this is an error so the waitlist should be at least one person smaller. Hoping y'all hear back
Wonder if it went out to all interviewed.

maybe their top 40? i know we are scored so the remnants of the match list minus everyone who matched elsewhere
Were any interviewed people rejected?

It looks like even Baylor made similar mistake - putting someone on waitlist when they matched to a school they ranked higher than Baylor, where they were already prematched.

Were any interviewed people rejected?

It looks like even Baylor made similar mistake - putting someone on waitlist when they matched to a school they ranked higher than Baylor, where they were already prematched.
Yes. I got a straight up rejection email, no waitlist. Congrats to everyone who got in today.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I just got the waitlist email even tho I was matched to a school I ranked higher. I'm assuming this is an error so the waitlist should be at least one person smaller. Hoping y'all hear back
I got the WL email too after matching to a higher ranked school on my list. +1 more spot open
if you dont mind sharing just curious to know which schools?

Good luck to everyone else here!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I got a straight up rejection email, no waitlist. Congrats to everyone who got in today.
Same here. Stings but itll be okay. Congrants to those who got accepted here or somewhere else. Should be very proud of your accomplishments.

i’m gonna call there being absolutely zero waitlist movement

i’m gonna call there being absolutely zero waitlist movement
Perhaps, but it seems like there could be some action on or around April 15th (unless I'm not understanding this correctly):

• By April 30 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is before August 1), each Texas resident holding multiple offers of acceptance must choose the specific school in which he/she prefers to enroll and withdraw from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.

That thread ^ had an interesting document that showed waitlist information from last year. Texas Tech, for instance, only showed 8-10 waitlist spots but admitted 8 that year.

There may also be some movement on or around May 15th. I'm assuming this is because there may be accepted students on a waitlist for their dream school.
  • After 5:00 p.m. CST on May 15, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to a Texas resident applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas.

The reapplication workshop is in April, then applications open up in May. All that to say is there is still hope!

2D9DEF43-435D-43B9-8A48-80A90AFE70A2.png

is this chart specific to UT Tyler?
a) I wonder why so many started but did not complete their applications?
b) it's TMDSAS lol
Yes it is specific to UTT. They sent out a newsletter this morning

is this chart specific to UT Tyler?
a) I wonder why so many started but did not complete their applications?
b) it's TMDSAS lol
I know I never finished my secondary for Tyler. I signed up eagerly once I saw another school I could apply to, but I found the secondary questions to be a bit of a slog -- kinda the same question (mission-specific, which I have to give them credit for! Helped weed-out non-mission fits like me) over and over again and I didn't have good answers for them. So, I struggled with writing them before giving up once I had my first acceptance. Maybe a similar story for other folks?

Reactions: 3 users
I know I never finished my secondary for Tyler. I signed up eagerly once I saw another school I could apply to, but I found the secondary questions to be a bit of a slog -- kinda the same question (mission-specific, which I have to give them credit for! Helped weed-out non-mission fits like me) over and over again and I didn't have good answers for them. So, I struggled with writing them before giving up once I had my first acceptance. Maybe a similar story for other folks?
Yes, I suspect the same reason for a lot of folks, as in sending their primary app over as soon as it was opened up, but then found there was a strong regional preference that they did not meet.

Yes, I suspect the same reason for a lot of folks, as in sending their primary app over as soon as it was opened up, but then found there was a strong regional preference that they did not meet.
Agreed. I halfheartedly filled out the secondary because I grew up in that area and felt like anything to increase my chances of getting an A was worth attempting. But given the redundancy of their prompts that emphasized the local connection so strongly, I didn't expect to hear back. I don't see myself returning to that area for a variety of reasons, so it's good that they are accepting people who will meet their mission.

I’m glad someone else also thought that as we. I felt all 4 questions were asking the exact same thing and each was 500 words. Even as someone from the region, I struggled to fill the prompts.

• Wow
Agreed. I halfheartedly filled out the secondary because I grew up in that area and felt like anything to increase my chances of getting an A was worth attempting. But given the redundancy of their prompts that emphasized the local connection so strongly, I didn't expect to hear back. I don't see myself returning to that area for a variety of reasons, so it's good that they are accepting people who will meet their mission.
Yeah, I feel like the only way to meaningfully answer the prompts is if you were 1. from ETX, or 2. have significant primary care experience. Ideally both.

Last edited:
Yep, I was in the same boat. I live in the DFW area but have friends in ETX so I was pulling teeth trying to speak about secondhand experience. Not to diminish my friends' experiences with health disparities in ETX, of course, but it was not something I had personally experienced and I'm sure my lack of knowledge and excitement for the region was evident in my secondaries. Honestly, I'm glad that UTT was clear about their mission focus early on so that there were no misunderstandings or false hopes.

Yeah, I feel like the only way to meaningfully answer the prompts is if you were 1. from ETX, or 2. have significant primary care experience. Ideally both.
Yep, I didn’t have any issues doing it but I’ve worked in healthcare in ETX for 5 years through covid and all. I can 100% see it being hard if you haven’t literally seen the day to day realities of medicine here.

I’m starting a Masters program in the summer but don’t have to move until the fall semester… how bad would it look if I inquired about my spot on the waitlist? I don’t want to move then have to move back, but I’d like to move over the summer if I can. I know some schools are open about it and some aren’t.

I’m starting a Masters program in the summer but don’t have to move until the fall semester… how bad would it look if I inquired about my spot on the waitlist? I don’t want to move then have to move back, but I’d like to move over the summer if I can. I know some schools are open about it and some aren’t.
This school is new and you are local. You should be able to exercise some network to get to people who can be honest about your chances.

Anybody know of anyone who got off the waitlist at UT Tyler?
None have reported here it seems. It has been <2 weeks since TMDSAS match day. While some schools have already begun offering waitlisted applicants As, most movement will not happen until later into the Spring.

Reactions: 5 users
Small update from a friend: waitlist ranking is confidential

how’s everyone’s reapplicant sessions been going? i still think it’s interesting that they’re only 5 min.

how’s everyone’s reapplicant sessions been going? i still think it’s interesting that they’re only 5 min.
Well they don’t need to hear your life story again they just need to tell you what areas need improvement

Well they don’t need to hear your life story again they just need to tell you what areas need improvement
i did the reapp session at TCOM and it took them about 15 min to talk through my primary app- maybe UTT just has a quicker strategy

i did the reapp session at TCOM and it took them about 15 min to talk through my primary app- maybe UTT just has a quicker strategy
I am curious about these sessions.

What did each of these schools tell you to improve?

I am curious about these sessions.

What did each of these schools tell you to improve?
mostly stats- i’ve had good feedback on all my essays and activities. TCOM said an MCAT retake would benefit me bc I have really uneven section scores.

to add: UTT did not comment on my stats and actually noted that they didn’t think they needed any improvement (??)

Last edited:
mostly stats- i’ve had good feedback on all my essays and activities. TCOM said an MCAT retake would benefit me bc I have really uneven section scores.

to add: UTT did not comment on my stats and actually noted that they didn’t think they needed any improvement (??)
So did they have recommendations for reapplying?

Hey y’all! They came and spoke at our undergrad the other day and they have an early assurance program coming out in May. It’s not a traditional early decision process (you still apply regularly) but it’s essentially a program that will take 40 students and out of those 40, 15 will be selected for assured admission.

It’s only open to 9 ETX universities and they have set seats for each (EX: UT Tyler has 10 seats in the program with 5 of those getting guaranteed admission). If you’re one of the 5 not chosen, you can still be considered for regular admission. This will be for the upcoming cycle with apps opening in May. For future cycles, apps hypothetically open in Jan. It comes with paid MCAT prep, professional development and a few more things.

They said they’ll have more info on their website in May.

Important for everyone bc that means general apps are hypothetically competing for 25 spots instead of 40.

what are the 9 ETX universities?
the only ones i remembered were UTT, ETBU, and SFA.

i’d assume it’s safe to say LeTorneau, Kilgore College, Panola college… I’ll post the link when they send it out to their email list!

amount of seats per school is based on how big their premed programs are.