2022-2023 UT Tyler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A big Texas welcome to the newest UT System medical school, UT Tyler! They will likely be taking applications for their inaugural class this 2022-2023 cycle.
Read about the school here: medicine.uttyler.edu

Preliminary Accreditation status granted by LCME on June 20, 2022! Preliminary LCME accreditation granted today!

2022-2023 UT Tyler Secondary Essay Prompts (no fee for secondary) CASPer and Duet (required)
  1. Why are you interested in applying to UT Tyler SOM? (500 words)
  2. Describe any experiences or information you have in or about East Texas as it relates to our mission statement. (500 words)
  3. Please share with the committee what unique skills, experiences, and/or qualities and characteristics, and/or ideas you may have or possess that will help you contribute to the mission of UT Tyler SOM if selected for the class. (500 words)
  4. Please review the SOM’s values and select the value that most resonates with you. Explain why. (500 words)
  5. (Optional) Please share with the committee any additional information that may help us evaluate your candidacy that is not addressed elsewhere in the application.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As of March 2022, UT Tyler is still under the "Candidate" classification as a new prospective school.
LCME must formally advance them to "Preliminary Accreditation" status before they can take applications.
Here is the status page from LCME Applicant & Candidate Programs | LCME

UT Tyler Health Science Center's website medicine.uttyler.edu

Last edited:
They just updated it to medicine.uttyler.edu and added requirements, curriculum, and more! I've been following this school closely and am really excited to apply!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is an interesting schedule with 1.5 year of classes followed by rotations. What surprises me is that they are giving so much time off for step 1 but only after 2.5 years while they dont show any breaks for step 2 which is important for residencies.

Something to note, Altus suite has Tyler as a option to distribute CASPER results to, as "UT Tyler SOM"

edited to add: UT Tyler would like CASPer + Duet.

Last edited by a moderator:
People in my class who took step P/F used their "dedicated" for step 2. I have no doubt the same will happen here
Are in 2024 batch? Dont people have to do a few rotations to be able to study for step 2?

2023 (not at UT Tyler)

Their step 1 "dedicated" is after a year of rotations. That time could effectively be used for step 2
I knew you were a current student, didnt know which year (UT Tyler doesnt have any students). So 2023 batch will have a split of pass/fail and those with a step 1 score based on when they took step 1? I wasn't sure that was allowed.

I've read a couple people saying that UT Tyler will be added to TMDSAS within the next month, so should TMDSAS applicants wait to submit their applications? Or can we submit our application and change it after the fact to include UT Tyler whenever they are added? Would waiting for UT Tyler to be added compromise how late our application is reviewed because I hear that submitting TMDSAS is highly recommended and May 28th feels kind of late already?

I've read a couple people saying that UT Tyler will be added to TMDSAS within the next month, so should TMDSAS applicants wait to submit their applications? Or can we submit our application and change it after the fact to include UT Tyler whenever they are added? Would waiting for UT Tyler to be added compromise how late our application is reviewed because I hear that submitting TMDSAS is highly recommended and May 28th feels kind of late already?
TMDSAS will message everyone when you are able to add UT Tyler. You can go ahead and submit to the other schools you want now. Adding UT Tyler will be done on your TMDSAS portal and they will get your app the next day.

Reactions: 1 user
Will interviews be in person? Because that's how it sounds on their website.
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.38.41 PM.png

Members don't see this ad :)
What other schools?? Only other school is shsu???
I haven't heard of any others saying they will interview in person at this point. Interviews are a few months in the future, and the schools will make a decision for safety by then. Even UT Tyler frames it as "whenever possible."

EnMed interviewed in person last year. I believe they may have been the only one in Texas to do so last year.

I would expect the same this year.

I emailed TCOM a few weeks prior to the start of the Ey23 cycle and asked if interviews will be in person or virtual for the Ey23 D.O application cycle and was told the interviews would be 100% virtual

I emailed TCOM a few weeks prior to the start of the Ey23 cycle and asked if interviews will be in person or virtual for the Ey23 D.O application cycle and was told the interviews would be 100% virtual
Interesting. The assistant dean of admissions said 100% in-person interviews during a webinar last month.

Interesting. The assistant dean of admissions said 100% in-person interviews during a webinar last month.
This is interesting, guys, but it’s hard to tell what schools you are discussing.
Please try to speak about UT Tyler on this thread, and the other schools on their respective pages.
Thank you

Just got an email from TMDSAS with a form to have UT Tyler added to your school list!

Reactions: 2 users
Are they sending this form to everyone? I haven't gotten anything yet.

Nvm, you can just go on TMDSAS and find the form there. Not sure why they didn't automatically email everyone but it's Welcome to The UT Tyler School of Medicine!

Did anyone get an email confirmation, or are we just supposed to rely on the completion page we reach after submitting the form?

Didn't get one either, I got an email from the med school directly because I'm on their mailing list.
Yeah same, but TMDSAS says it will take 5 business days to add UT Tyler and we should see it under [status]

I didn't get an email confirmation :/
I was just confirming that nobody else did! I don't think we were supposed to receive one. I just hadn't seen anything in the thread above so I was unsure.

Didn't get one either, I got an email from the med school directly because I'm on their mailing list.
Sorry, I meant an email confirmation after submitting the Google form that TMDSAS posted/that UT Tyler emailed to those on the mailing list. It looks like nobody got an email confirmation of that sort. I just wasn't sure if anyone else had.

What are indications of interest?
The "Google form" that was made available by UT Tyler on July 1 - Those wanting to add the school to their TMDSAS list were asked to fill it out.
Link is in a post above #29

Last edited:
The TXHES page that hosts the link to the form says UT Tyler will be added to your TMDSAS status page within 5 business days. So, as @wysdoc has mentioned, soon enough! July 1st was Friday, so the first business day would be today, July 5th.

Last edited:
Also important to note that UT Tyler will be flooded with applications from everyone that has submitted already. Extra patience is needed and if they do any sort of pre-secondary screening, it may be awhile

Does anyone have reason to believe that UT Tyler might screen applicants out from both poles (very high stat IS and very low stat IS/OOS)? Would make sense given they are a brand new school but I suppose nobody can know for sure?
It would be pretty short-sighted for them to do this because very high stat applicants would be more likely to rank established programs higher for match day.

Does anyone have reason to believe that UT Tyler might screen applicants out from both poles (very high stat IS and very low stat IS/OOS)? Would make sense given they are a brand new school but I suppose nobody can know for sure?
Most TMDSAS do not screen before secondaries and I haven't heard any indication that Tyler will either.

Has anyone who submitted TMDSAS and completed the indication of interest Google form seen it added to their school list on Status in the application?
Yeah my app was transmitted to UT Tyler today and I can see that on TMDSAS. Haven’t gotten a secondary yet tho.

I accidentally submitted the google doc twice and they transmitted my app to them twice lmao.

Yeah my app was transmitted to UT Tyler today and I can see that on TMDSAS. Haven’t gotten a secondary yet tho.

I accidentally submitted the google doc twice and they transmitted my app to them twice lmao.

Just saw your post and checked my own app. My primary was also transmitted to UT Tyler today. Thanks for the heads up!

Just saw your post and checked my own app. My primary was also transmitted to UT Tyler today. Thanks for the heads up!
+1, mine also submitted today 😊

Alright, now let's all root for no secondary lol! I doubt it, but one can dream. 😄

Are ya'll already verified? I see no change on my end. Submitted June 14, awaiting verification.

Yeah I submitted 5/21 and was verified/transmitted 6/9. If you submitted 6/14 it might take a little longer for the primary to be transmitted.

My app was transmitted to UTT on 7/1 and looks like it was transmitted again on 7/8 as well haha. I didn't submit twice so I don't know what happened. Hopefully it'll get reviewed twice then 😎 /s