2019-2020 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You never know! There should be more dates, plus people will start cancelling as more decisions come out in Jan/Feb.
Thanks!

Though I believe they’ve handed January dates a while ago and this “wave” are the cancellations.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!

Though I believe they’ve handed January dates a while ago and this “wave” are the cancellations.
That's what I was thinking as well, especially because there was just the one date. But any interview is a good interview and I bet there will be more cancellations!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
any reason you think that given someone got a january date yesterday?
I think earlier in this thread people were posting about Jan IIs in mid-October, and Yale tends to schedule pretty far out. That, plus the single date, was why I was thinking it at least.

any reason you think that given someone got a january date yesterday?
On the previous page of this thread, October 14th, they were already scheduling for mid-January. And that was a larger wave. It is much more likely that cck42's invite was due to a cancellation. I don't think it is likely that they would wait 2 months to give out an interview date so close to dates they've given two months ago.

Oct --> Jan
Dec --> Feb/March = likely not cancellation

Oct --> Jan
Dec --> Jan = likely cancellation

I don't mean to take away from your accomplishment. It is something to be proud of. Good luck! @cck42

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure they’ve been finished sending interviews for some time. The last interview date for MD-only is Friday, January 31. You can find all of the interview dates on a dropdown menu on the webpage to select what you will eat on interview day.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all, current MS1 @ Yale. Lmk if you have questions to help inform your decisions.

Hello! Would you happen to know the last interview date?
Invitations go out until February, but in all likelihood they've finished the majority of their invitations. Good luck
1578470050731.png

What’s the deal with letters of intent here? I interviewed a while ago and absolutely loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s the deal with letters of intent here? I interviewed a while ago and absolutely loved it.

They accept them. I don't know how much it matters in their ultimate decision though. I sent 2 letters of interest, and yet I was waitlisted and got my acceptance at the end of May. I know there were others who did NOT send any letters that were accepted or got off the waitlist before I did. If you're interested in them, let them know. It can't hurt, unless you annoy them.

@staerne : Do you know how the admissions process works after the interview to determine acceptances?

Sent a withdrawal email back in late December, then the dean of admissions called me twice yesterday and today and left voicemail asking me to call them back. Then I did today, and they asked me whether I indeed intended to withdraw... so bizarre

• Haha
Sent a withdrawal email back in late December, then the dean of admissions called me twice yesterday and today and left voicemail asking me to call them back. Then I did today, and they asked me whether I indeed intended to withdraw... so bizarre
They really want you, that’s a good sign In general

They really want you, that’s a good sign In general
Thank you. But I did withdraw this time lol and got the confirmation after the call. It’s really hard to withdraw from those top places...

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
When did you send the letters of interest?

I sent one 2-3 weeks after my interview, and another about 2 weeks before their decision.

Can any current students or others comment on whether all interviewers are part of the committee that vote on acceptance? For instance, if there is a student who is an admissions interviewer, is s/he part of the committee that votes on applicants even if s/he didn't interview that specific applicant? What if they interviewed other applicants that interview day, but not that particular applicant? Do these students still vote on them? @staerne

Good question, I'm not sure. Generally, the admission committee is separate from those who do the interviewing.

Are we expecting decisions early March?

Yeah, around early March is when they release decisions.
@staerne : Do you know how the admissions process works after the interview to determine acceptances?

It's not a rolling decision, so they consider all students that have interviewed as they approach their decision. Besides that, not sure. Not many schools will divulge their exact decision process.

• Love
do you think yale knows that their financial aid portal is temporarily unavailable? it's been several days. i'd call but i feel like someone must've brought it to their attention already.

do you think yale knows that their financial aid portal is temporarily unavailable? it's been several days. i'd call but i feel like someone must've brought it to their attention already.
Do we need that portal for anything? I thought we just needed to send them FAFSA and CSS prior to acceptance

Do we need that portal for anything? I thought we just needed to send them FAFSA and CSS prior to acceptance
well to me its unclear on the website what needs to be complete before the Feb 28th deadline. It says "your application" must be complete, and then explains that an application includes a 1) portal upload, 2) fafsa, 3) css, etc. It says that they recommend you complete the FAFSA and CSS prior to acceptance (so you could interpret that as meaning those are the only two things needed now), but to me it seems that have your "application complete before Feb 28th" would include all the various parts of the application.

well to me its unclear on the website what needs to be complete before the Feb 28th deadline. It says "your application" must be complete, and then explains that an application includes a 1) portal upload, 2) fafsa, 3) css, etc. It says that they recommend you complete the FAFSA and CSS prior to acceptance (so you could interpret that as meaning those are the only two things needed now), but to me it seems that have your "application complete before Feb 28th" would include all the various parts of the application.

No. Not everyone even fills out fasfa / css. Those that know they won’t qualify due to family finances. And that doesn’t prevent them from being “complete”

Is Yale still sending out II?

No. Not everyone even fills out fasfa / css. Those that know they won’t qualify due to family finances. And that doesn’t prevent them from being “complete”
i am talking about fafsa/css vs. the additional, institution-specific steps. u are talking about the "completeness" of the fafsa and css (student vs parent data), which is different.

Does anyone know the date that they will release decisions this year? I know that is says by March 15th but last years seemed to come out at the end of February.

Does anyone know the date that they will release decisions this year? I know that is says by March 15th but last years seemed to come out at the end of February.
At my interview day, they said they would try their best to do let everyone know by first week of March but no guarantees

Things may have changed since I interviewed, but historically Yale releases decisions on a pre-determined date in the first week of March. I wouldn't expect a decision before then.

Those of you who sent letters of interest, are you mainly discussing yourself or the school at large? Also have ppl sent letters of intent pre decision?

Did everyone just get an email reminding you to complete your financial aid?

Did everyone just get an email reminding you to complete your financial aid?
Yes. And just so everyone knows their 2020-2021 institutional aid portal is up and running, I checked today.

Yes. And just so everyone knows their 2020-2021 institutional aid portal is up and running, I checked today.
Where can we find this institutional aid portal? Are you talking about the financial aid app on the website? Sorry, just don't want to miss anything

Where can we find this institutional aid portal? Are you talking about the financial aid app on the website? Sorry, just don't want to miss anything
In the link they sent, use the toolbar on the left to get to “application process” where you’ll find a link to their 2020-2021 application for incoming students. It takes you to a “dynamic form” that requires a special login. For the last few weeks this login has been out of commission but it just started working for me.

In the link they sent, use the toolbar on the left to get to “application process” where you’ll find a link to their 2020-2021 application for incoming students. It takes you to a “dynamic form” that requires a special login. For the last few weeks this login has been out of commission but it just started working for me.
Gotcha - thank you! Did you use the login that you use for the application portal? I tried using that login & it isn't working :/

Did anyone...not get the email...

Rip me?

Check your spam!! Or maybe you already submitted fin aid
They straight up didn't email me anything as per their communication tabs rip.

I completed FAFSA and CSS, is there anything else I was supposed to do?

I already submitted FAFSA and CSS and did get this email

• Wow
No email here either, but I don’t think it’s definitely a reason to be concerned. Several schools have sent these emails in batches primarily to avoid triggering spam filters. If we do get Rs, then whatever I’ll start my own medical school PM me for a secondary

Email just now! I think it really was no big deal. Good luck everyone!

Also just got it. Yesterday's rollercoaster had me way more neurotic than usual lol