2020-2021 Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an email that my app was under review on 7/10, but I have yet to receive my secondary. Should I call them?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I received an email that my app was under review on 7/10, but I have yet to receive my secondary. Should I call them?
I was also marked as received by them on the 10th, and i got my secondary on Friday. I wouldn’t pester them. I’m sure you’ll get it (if you’ve fulfilled their requirements).

Members don't see this ad :)
When matching selections from AMCAS for core competencies, I did not mark any as "hobbies". When I saved it as such, it brought up the prompt: If you do not have an experience to fulfill at this competency, please explain in the Supplemental Application, essay #7.

Do you all think I really need to write an "anything else" essay about why I did not include any "hobbies" in the work/activity section of AMCAS? This seems a little unnecessary to me.

For the people waiting on secondaries, I emailed them and they need to have your letter of rec in before they will send.

Also, for the activity matching, did you guys put shadowing for clinical? It only says med volunteer or paid positions, but you would like shadowing would go under clinical experience.
I have all of my letters of rec submitted on AMCAS and they have all been received but I still don't have a secondary :(

For the clinical competency, does shadowing count? Or is it just for volunteer/paid positions?

For the clinical competency, does shadowing count? Or is it just for volunteer/paid positions?

i didn’t put shadowing.... and then accidentally submitted it. Also would like to know!

I have all of my letters of rec submitted on AMCAS and they have all been received but I still don't have a secondary :(
Me too. My app was complete in June. I'm really confused why we have not received secondaries :/

Me too. My app was complete in June. I'm really confused why we have not received secondaries :/
I am guessing that maybe they are sending them out in waves and we missed the first wave somehow? I just got verified last Thursday, but idk. I hope that we will get one soon!

Is there any way to check the status of your application once you are submitted?

Wanted to apply here but found out about their physiology requirement, and I haven't taken it. What can I do? I already graduated from college.

Wanted to apply here but found out about their physiology requirement, and I haven't taken it. What can I do? I already graduated from college.
You should plan to take a physiology class at some point before matriculation or else you can't apply :/ I'm in the same boat and told them I'm planning on taking it in the spring

You should plan to take a physiology class at some point before matriculation or else you can't apply :/ I'm in the same boat and told them I'm planning on taking it in the spring
They accept A&P credits if you’ve taken both 1 and 2.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agh that sucks. Did you just mark "I am not matching any courses" and then explain that in the supp?

It took me a few days after submitting my secondary to get a complete email. Don't worry.

did you receive a complete email or a secondary received email? I received one that said my secondary was received, but not one that says my file is complete yet. if anyone is in the same boat, please lmk!

I don't have physiology listed as a future course on my AMCAS (since i was still not sure about those courses when doing my primary), so I wasn't able to list it under the requirements as a secondary. Does anyone know how to update UACOM Phoenix on taking physio in the future so they know that requirement will be completed? I have already submitted my secondary unfortunately and didn't list in the optional area that I am taking physio in my senior year.

I don't have physiology listed as a future course on my AMCAS (since i was still not sure about those courses when doing my primary), so I wasn't able to list it under the requirements as a secondary. Does anyone know how to update UACOM Phoenix on taking physio in the future so they know that requirement will be completed? I have already submitted my secondary unfortunately and didn't list in the optional area that I am taking physio in my senior year.

I was in the same situation (though I did mention it in the optional essay area on the secondary) and they emailed me asking for a specific course name/number of the physiology class I plan on taking. I'm sure they'll email you too, but you could probably just email them in advance providing the course information so you don't have to wait for them to email you first!

I was in the same situation (though I did mention it in the optional essay area on the secondary) and they emailed me asking for a specific course name/number of the physiology class I plan on taking. I'm sure they'll email you too, but you could probably just email them in advance providing the course information so you don't have to wait for them to email you first!
Do you have the email? I just want to make sure I reach out to the right one. Thanks for your response! Not freaking out quite as much now lol

I feel kinda dumb as it seems no one in this thread is having any trouble... I can't seem to figure out what their "servant leadership" and "inclusive excellence" prompts are even asking me, honestly.. :( it seems like inclusive excellence is disguised diversity? thoughts on these two?

• Hmm
I feel kinda dumb as it seems no one in this thread is having any trouble... I can't seem to figure out what their "servant leadership" and "inclusive excellence" prompts are even asking me, honestly.. :( it seems like inclusive excellence is disguised diversity? thoughts on these two?
The UA College of Medicine - Phoenix practices Inclusive Excellence, which celebrates the differences, talents, and unique qualities of all individuals. Please describe how you will pursue Inclusive Excellence in your studies while contributing to the collaborative environment at the College of Medicine - Phoenix.

This is definitely partly a "diversity essay". I'd explain how you've worked with groups other than yourself, learned from them, and how you will continue that practice at UA COM-Phoenix. I'd pick one (or two very short) stories that answer this question and then try to explain how you've worked with other groups, why you think it is important, and a couple specific ways you will continue to do it. Also, what diversity do you bring that can help the educational experience of others? How have you shown collaboration and how will you collaborate with students in the future?

Servant Leadership is a Core Value and Attribute we deem essential for our students to possess. To us, it is service to others where one possesses personal humility along with a strong professional will. Describe a time where you have practiced this skill or have seen this in another. What traits were exemplified, and how will you apply these traits to your career in medicine?

Tell a story about when you stood up to a position of authority or showed professional leadership. In that same experience, how did you show humility? How are leadership and humility related? How do you plan to use these same skills and traits in medical education and practice?

Reactions: 1 users
The UA College of Medicine - Phoenix practices Inclusive Excellence, which celebrates the differences, talents, and unique qualities of all individuals. Please describe how you will pursue Inclusive Excellence in your studies while contributing to the collaborative environment at the College of Medicine - Phoenix.

This is definitely partly a "diversity essay". I'd explain how you've worked with groups other than yourself, learned from them, and how you will continue that practice at UA COM-Phoenix. I'd pick one (or two very short) stories that answer this question and then try to explain how you've worked with other groups, why you think it is important, and a couple specific ways you will continue to do it. Also, what diversity do you bring that can help the educational experience of others? How have you shown collaboration and how will you collaborate with students in the future?

Servant Leadership is a Core Value and Attribute we deem essential for our students to possess. To us, it is service to others where one possesses personal humility along with a strong professional will. Describe a time where you have practiced this skill or have seen this in another. What traits were exemplified, and how will you apply these traits to your career in medicine?

Tell a story about when you stood up to a position of authority or showed professional leadership. In that same experience, how did you show humility? How are leadership and humility related? How do you plan to use these same skills and traits in medical education and practice?
Thank you so much! That makes a lot more sense honestly. I got an idea for the leadership one already :)

No, I wish... I just saw that someone posted it on the SDN Application Tracker.
1597362517477.png

I spoke to admissions a bit ago and they told me that interview invites would not be sent out until the 21st at the earliest... Makes me doubt the validity of the tracker data.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I spoke to admissions a bit ago and they told me that interview invites would not be sent out until the 21st at the earliest... Makes me doubt the validity of the tracker data.
This is very good to know. Thanks!

are you taking it at an accredited university?

are you taking it at an accredited university?

They accept Community College credits too. I got an email from them asking if I was planning on taking a physiology course and I told them I could at my local CC for a lot cheaper. They verified that the course would be accepted and that would be okay! so if you need to take it definitely look into that (saves me around 5k)

Anybody know when interview invites will begin to be sent out?

They also have an admissions tracker on their admissions website that shows number of applications received, number of interviews and number of acceptances

About how long does it take to receive a secondary application after your AMCAS application is verified? My primary was verified on 08/11. Thanks!

About how long does it take to receive a secondary application after your AMCAS application is verified? My primary was verified on 08/11. Thanks!
I received mine exactly two weeks after my primary was transmitted to them.

My primary was received on July 10th, and I got the secondary on July 31st... so exactly 3 weeks.

II JUST NOW! AHHHH. First one and I'm so excited!

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
does anyone know if this school sends IIs to higher stats first?

does anyone know if this school sends IIs to higher stats first?
If you look at last years thread the first set of II that went out were to all IS applicants... this cycle is obviously different so far so no telling per usual when it comes to this whole admissions process lol

If you look at last years thread the first set of II that went out were to all IS applicants... this cycle is obviously different so far so no telling per usual when it comes to this whole admissions process lol

i think that’s different this year. i know 3 OOS applicants with IIs here, one of whom is above this comment lol

I’m OOS also