2020-2021 Columbia VP&S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I'm interested in the Bassett program, do you think I should mention that at all in the overall Columbia secondaries? Or just wait until the Bassett-specific questions

Hi, does anyone know if Columbia VP&S has a "reapplicant essay", separate from the gap year question?

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of the leadership position essay, do you all think I should write about my Research Assistant position or being the head of a non-profit? I know they focus extensively on research so I am leaning that way, especially since my extracurricular descriptions talk more about the non-profit

In terms of the leadership position essay, do you all think I should write about my Research Assistant position or being the head of a non-profit? I know they focus extensively on research so I am leaning that way, especially since my extracurricular descriptions talk more about the non-profit
Have you received secondaries yet? If so can you post them?

No, I have not- sorry if I worried anyone unnecessarily! I am pre-writing before they are released!

Gotcha! Are you writing the prompt "describe your most meaningful leadership positions"?

I think you should choose the one you felt was the most meaningful. Instead of thinking "what would Columbia like to read?" I think it's better to frame it as "what would I like Columbia to read about me?"

Of course, if they were equally meaningful, I am sure you can find a way to make a cohesive narrative out of both experiences. The question isn't limited to one position.

Reactions: 1 user
Gotcha! Are you writing the prompt "describe your most meaningful leadership positions"?

I think you should choose the one you felt was the most meaningful. Instead of thinking "what would Columbia like to read?" I think it's better to frame it as "what would I like Columbia to read about me?"

Of course, if they were equally meaningful, I am sure you can find a way to make a cohesive narrative out of both experiences. The question isn't limited to one position.
Thank you for your help! I think I have figured out a way to address both in order to compare and contrast.

Thank you for your help! I think I have figured out a way to address both in order to compare and contrast.
Since they said "leadership positisions" I also described two for the essay!

Anyone received that sweet sweet secondary? I have not yet.

Since they said "leadership positisions" I also described two for the essay!
Did you just describe them? Or did you go into why they were meaningful, what they taught you, what skills you might bring into medicine, etc? I wasn't sure how far to stray with the only requirement being to "describe" positions

Did you just describe them? Or did you go into why they were meaningful, what they taught you, what skills you might bring into medicine, etc? I wasn't sure how far to stray with the only requirement being to "describe" positions
Definitely more towards the side of why meaningful, what I learned, how I can relate the skills to medicine. Not too much room to expand, but I did the best I could!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else had an issue with the required coursework section? I still have a couple of future courses to complete and it says to check the future coursework box but the box isn't showing up. I've tried it on multiple browsers and on multiple computers.

Has anyone else had an issue with the required coursework section? I still have a couple of future courses to complete and it says to check the future coursework box but the box isn't showing up. I've tried it on multiple browsers and on multiple computers.

I’m still waiting on my secondary. Are the prompts the same as last year?

Reactions: 4 users
still waiting on the secondary, and my stats would definitely not be screened out :shrug:

Reactions: 2 users
I’m still waiting on my secondary. Are the prompts the same as last year?
No, prompts this year (all 300 words) @gyngyn

1. Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer?

2. Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions

3. Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?

4. Anything else?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does the Columbia secondary still ask you to upload a CV or have they removed that step from prior years?

Last edited:
Is there an abbreviation that we can use instead of typing out the whole name? Trying to cut down my word count

For the first secondary question, is it mainly concerned about working during the year or summer while in an undergraduate program? I'm a non-traditional student so I worked after I graduated, but I'm not sure this is what it's referring to.

"1. Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer?"

For the first secondary question, is it mainly concerned about working during the year or summer while in an undergraduate program? I'm a non-traditional student so I worked after I graduated, but I'm not sure this is what it's referring to.

"1. Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer?"
^^I have the same question and in a similar boat. I am also a non-traditional student and did work in undergrad, but I would rather focus on my work after undergrad

May be worth a quick call or email to them to ask.

For the coursework section, they have the 2yr chem requirement. Since biochem is recommended but not a requirement, can biochem + lab be used to fulfill a semester of that chem requirement? (e.g., 1 year (2sem) of orgo + labs, 1 sem of gen chem + lab, and 1 sem of biochem + lab)

@Liverpool FC I haven't received my secondary yet :( just trying to be prepared for when I do. I graduated already though so hopefully shouldn't have any issues with that whenever I get the secondary.

Is everyone also having an issue with the required coursework section? Not all my classes are showing up (pass/fail) from this past semester and there does not seem to be a future coursework checkbox? Any help is appreciate! Thanks.
I mentioned this above but I'm also having the same issue with the future coursework check box - planning on calling them this week

^^I have the same question and in a similar boat. I am also a non-traditional student and did work in undergrad, but I would rather focus on my work after undergrad

I called them today and they clarified that the first secondary question is focused on working while attending your undergraduate institution. Paid internships and jobs would count whether they were during the school year or summer as stated. Post-graduate work would not fall under this category.

I called them today and they clarified that the first secondary question is focused on working while attending your undergraduate institution. Paid internships and jobs would count whether they were during the school year or summer as stated. Post-graduate work would not fall under this category.
Interesting. I also called today about this question and was told to feel free to write about whatever I wanted, including paid work after college, if I felt it would enhance my application.

Last edited:
Interesting. I also called today about this question and was told to feel free to write about whatever I wanted, including paid work after college, if I felt it would enhance my application.

Hmm, interesting. I suppose they're probably not too stringent on what people include here then whether it's work during college or after. I'm not sure if I will include post-college work since it's already in my primary. If I do include anything I'll likely keep it brief. Do you also have work after college you're considering writing about?

Hmm, interesting. I suppose they're probably not too stringent on what people include here then whether it's work during college or after. I'm not sure if I will include post-college work since it's already in my primary. If I do include anything I'll likely keep it brief. Do you also have work after college you're considering writing about?
I do. I did have summer jobs in college, which I describe. But I also worked full time for a couple years and then worked part-time during a post-bac, so I'm going to include a few sentences on those at the end.

I do. I did have summer jobs in college, which I describe. But I also worked full time for a couple years and then worked part-time during a post-bac, so I'm going to include a few sentences on those at the end.

Sounds like a solid plan. It seems like we have some similar experiences - I had some summer work in college and worked full time for a couple years after college as well before doing a post-bac. Best of luck to you this cycle!

• Love
does anyone still not have a secondary? for those who didn't have them as of Saturday, has anyone gotten one since then?

Reactions: 5 users
still waiting on the secondary, and my stats would definitely not be screened out :shrug:
I don't think anyone would be screened out--their secondary goes out to everyone (no screen). I wonder what's up with the delay

Reactions: 2 users
No secondary either.

I think secondaries were sent to those pursuing MD-PhD... perhaps only MDs were not sent yet? Can someone prove this wrong?

Is someone else also having issues with receiving the password link?

If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. (250 words)

Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer? If so, how many hours a week? (300 words)

If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (300 words)
Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions. (300 words)
Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (300 words)

Is there anything else you would like us to know? (400 words)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. (250 words)

Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer? If so, how many hours a week? (300 words)

If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (300 words)
Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions. (300 words)
Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (300 words)

Is there anything else you would like us to know? (400 words)

Thanks!

Is it appropriate to use the "Anything else" question as "Why Columbia"? Or is that looked down upon?