-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Columbia VP&S
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
+1IS secondary received just now!
D
deleted943850
Is mathematics physical science or just "all others"?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve heard it isn’t good. If they wanted to know, they’d ask and it just looks like trying too hard. That’s what I’ve been told and done on secondaries in general. But what do I know, I’m a neurotic premed who is probably butchering these secondaries 🙁Is it appropriate to use the "Anything else" question as "Why Columbia"? Or is that looked down upon?
"If your lab was listed separately from your lecture, please list the lab course code below."
So... at the bottom of the page?
That's what I'm planning on doing... Idk why they didn't just give us enough space for if your labs were separate
Plain old 1 page resume work? Or we need a real CV?For people who don't have a CV what we doing?
Yeah I guess I will just go with that, this is weird requirement but whatever lolPlain old 1 page resume work? Or we need a real CV?
Bdhejnfbf
New Member
Wondering the same thing. I thought it used to be optional?For people who don't have a CV what we doing?
There are only 4 slots for 2 years of chemistry. How do those on the quarter system fit in 2 years worth of coursework, which would be 6 classes?
D
deleted1038508
Does anyone with prior experience/knowledge here know if a resume would be fine instead of a CV?
Does anyone see four slots for Biology? Only one year of lecture/lab coursework is required (and that's all I have), so I don't know what to do with the remaining slots.
luluwild
Full Member
Is the "Required Coursework" page being weird for anyone?
The directions say: " Select and drag the academic course work on your right-hand side you feel meets the pre-requisite to the column titled 'course name'. For future required courses, please state them below in the box provided at the bottom of this page. "
There seem to be too many spots... Like there are 6 boxes that say "Two years of Chemistry, one of which must be Organic Chemistry, both with labs ". Am I just confused??
The directions say: " Select and drag the academic course work on your right-hand side you feel meets the pre-requisite to the column titled 'course name'. For future required courses, please state them below in the box provided at the bottom of this page. "
There seem to be too many spots... Like there are 6 boxes that say "Two years of Chemistry, one of which must be Organic Chemistry, both with labs ". Am I just confused??
Haha this is funny because I have 6 slots for chemistry and I'm on semester system.......... wtfThere are only 4 slots for 2 years of chemistry. How do those on the quarter system fit in 2 years worth of coursework, which would be 6 classes?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's essentially what I did, but threw in biochem in place of a gen chemGen Chem I, Gen Chem II, O Chem I, O Chem II, Gen Chem Lab, O Chem Lab?
Does anyone with prior experience/knowledge here know if a resume would be fine instead of a CV?
From their website:
Even though the format and function of a CV can defer from a resume, we accept both and have no preference on which type you submit, with exception to the 3-year PhD-to-MD program that requires a CV.
I don't think the resume vs. CV thing is going to matter too much. Maybe they just want to have one on file in case you end up matriculating? Idk.
Oh, it's glitching. After logging off and logging in again, I see another four slots for Physics have appeared...so now I've got six total. And six for biology. And six for chemistry.
I can't decide if I'm just going to stop once I hit the prerequisite requirements or if I should enter my extra chemistry courses.
I can't decide if I'm just going to stop once I hit the prerequisite requirements or if I should enter my extra chemistry courses.
I've realized this is what happened for me too... I'm just gonna enter the number of classes I need for the prerequisites and leave the extra slots blank.Oh, it's glitching. After logging off and logging in again, I see another four slots for Physics have appeared...so now I've got six total. And six for biology. And six for chemistry.
I can't decide if I'm just going to stop once I hit the prerequisite requirements or if I should enter my extra chemistry courses.
What are you guys doing if you don't have enough space for their general chemistry and organic chemistry + labs requirements for the prereq section? I have 7 total courses for 6 spots.... they should have formatted this better tbh
I really hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot, but I wanted to get this in quickly. It originally said indicate below any courses that don't fit, but then that part was deleted when they started adding slots. I had 8 chem courses for 6 slots (4 classes, 4 labs), so I just indicated the 2 extra labs down at the bottom like it originally said (in the question about future coursework). Really praying that was okay...What are you guys doing if you don't have enough space for their general chemistry and organic chemistry + labs requirements for the prereq section? I have 7 total courses for 6 spots.... they should have formatted this better tbh
I feel that this should be fine. Adcoms are humans and have a nice pair of eyes so they can definitely do some extra reading to see what's going on. Why the rush to turn it in though? It is still so so early in the cycle!I really hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot, but I wanted to get this in quickly. It originally said indicate below any courses that don't fit, but then that part was deleted when they started adding slots. I had 8 chem courses for 6 slots (4 classes, 4 labs), so I just indicated the 2 extra labs down at the bottom like it originally said (in the question about future coursework). Really praying that was okay...
Oh, now it says:
Please note we added additional slots for those that wanted to state additional course work.
In the status section, does it show that they have not received your letters of references and MCAT score yet for you guys as well? Weird.
In the status section, does it show that they have not received your letters of references and MCAT score yet for you guys as well? Weird.
Yes, for me too. I wouldn't worry about it. An explanation is given in the secondary submission confirmation e-mail. Takes time to pair. I'd check back in a couple of days.
Also, the "Application" section disappears after submission, so I can't go back and obsess over potential typos! <3
Last edited:
Yeah it says on the main page that it takes 24-48 hours to pull stuff from AMCAS so it should be in soon.In the status section, does it show that they have not received your letters of references and MCAT score yet for you guys as well? Weird.
Ive always heard that if they wanted a why us then they'd ask. I won't, but you do you.What do you guys think about using that "anything else" spot for a "why Columbia" essay?
D
deleted1039724
Ive always heard that if they wanted a why us then they'd ask. I won't, but you do you.
are you putting something else instead, or leaving it blank?
Im not. I always thought it was for special circumstances or crazy GPA trends or whatever...are you putting something else instead, or leaving it blank?
But seriously I know nothing. Im a crazy premed. Dont take my thoughts too seriously
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
plebienrebels
Full Member
+2received the secondary a few min ago
From their website:
I don't think the resume vs. CV thing is going to matter too much. Maybe they just want to have one on file in case you end up matriculating? Idk.
I'm going to be at Columbia SPS next year for my master's in bioethics, and when I applied to that program, I was also asked for a résumé or CV. It may be university-wide policy to collect them.
For the CV/resume, should I list a job I am anticipating on starting but haven't yet? Or just things that I've done so far already?
I would list it. Just make certain you indicate the appropriate dates.
anyone seeing MCAT score not received after submitting the secondary? Should I contact the admissions office?
Just received the “Application Complete” e-mail.
anyone seeing MCAT score not received after submitting the secondary? Should I contact the admissions office?
No need to contact them. We had the same display just following submission. See the responses above and check your e-mail inbox for an explanation from VP&S admissions.
Just got a complete e-mail. I submitted yesterday and my portal also stated that my MCAT scores and LORs hadn't been received right after submission. Guess it just takes them 24 hours to match them to our file.
lessiknowthebetter
Full Member
are you guys gonna answer the anything else prompt?
are you guys gonna answer the anything else prompt?
I did. I talked about growing up in a medically underserved area and how I developed an interest in community health and health care delivery science. Then I outlined what I hoped I’d learn from the infrastructure and programs at CUIMC and discussed some skills I believe would help me make the most of my education at VP&S.
Still debating. I hear so many conflicting things if it should be used as a "why us?" or not. I don't want anything to be detrimental to my appare you guys gonna answer the anything else prompt?
Still debating. I hear so many conflicting things if it should be used as a "why us?" or not. I don't want anything to be detrimental to my app
If you have something real and honest that you think will help someone reading your application better understand you/why you're applying, then use the space. If it's going to be forced/fluff, then don't. Personally, I didn't write one for Columbia because I don't have anything specific to say that isn't covered well in other parts of my application.
Completely understand you. Columbia is just one of my top choices (mainly because location and friends there have said good things) so I wanted to make my app as strong as possible. Feels hard to leave it blank.If you have something real and honest that you think will help someone reading your application better understand you/why you're applying, then use the space. If it's going to be forced/fluff, then don't. Personally, I didn't write one for Columbia because I don't have anything specific to say that isn't covered well in other parts of my application.
neurofanatic213
Full Member
Complete just now for MD/PhD! Fingers crossed!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lessiknowthebetter
Full Member
what are you guys talking about in "is there anything else you want us to know?"
is this basically a why columbia?
is this basically a why columbia?
lessiknowthebetter
Full Member
For the meaningful leadership position question, is it important to choose 1-2 that were NOT most meaningful on the primary? I feel like it would be dumb to just repeat something I already said in my primary
I feel like you should pick your most meaningful, regardless of if you already listed them as most meaningful in primary. maybe write about them from a different perspective and use different stories than those you used in your primary.
D
deleted1039724
what are you guys talking about in "is there anything else you want us to know?"
is this basically a why columbia?
i feel like i’ve heard mixed opinions on this, some people have said that if they wanted a why columbia, they’d have asked, but i also don’t know what else i would put/feel bad leaving it blank. what are everyone’s thoughts?
I am just going to briefly explain personal connections to the school and area. It is something I was not able to put anywhere else and is not an essay just explaining Why Columbia (bc they already know they have amazing opportunities and that folks want to go there).i feel like i’ve heard mixed opinions on this, some people have said that if they wanted a why columbia, they’d have asked, but i also don’t know what else i would put/feel bad leaving it blank. what are everyone’s thoughts?
Anything else prompt has a 400 word limit, not 300No, prompts this year (all 300 words) @gyngyn
1. Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer?
2. Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions
3. Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?
4. Anything else?