2021-2022 Columbia (Vagelos)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Columbia was defi my dream school, it feels like all hope is lost :( I'm at work and I'm trying really hard to not cry, grateful for the rest of my A's, but just can't help feeling a little dissapointed
I am sorry but if it makes you feel better I am actively crying in class and also feel like a selfish baby since I do have other acceptances. I was in the same boat that Columbia was my favorite, so I am trying to cut myself some slack in feeling bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Columbia was defi my dream school, it feels like all hope is lost :( I'm at work and I'm trying really hard to not cry, grateful for the rest of my A's, but just can't help feeling a little dissapointed
can relate big time :( i always felt like even getting an interview in the first place was too good to be true, but i really started falling in love with the program and imagining a life in NYC (my siblings and best friends all live there). feels like i'm disappointing them too, because they were all really excited at the prospect of me moving closer to them

• Care
After 3 WLs last week and no news yet today, I'm right there with all of y'all. Just nothing else to say other than this is a frustrating and oftentimes disappointing process, but the fact that we even got an interview here and As elsewhere is what matters (or at least that's what I am trying to tell myself)

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
definitely do not understand why they just don't release everything at once -- I can't imagine a good argument for that. They already know the process is exhausting.

Reactions: 6 users
I know it feels incredibly frustrating but one thing I learned from this cycle is that rejection is often redirection. Perhaps someone saw something in us that wouldn’t make us a good fit for the school. And that is not a negative reflection on us.

For my folks with other As, it is valid to feel bad about not hearing back from Columbia. It is also normal to feel bad about feeling bad about the lack of decision, because you want to be courteous to others without As. Like Beyoncé said (I am paraphrasing), take a day to feel sorry for yourself when you are feeling down, and in those 24 hours, allow yourself to truly feel all of your emotions and process them, so you can move on without it dwelling.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
tbh got bad vibes during interview day (both my interviewers were extremely elitist and pretentious and tried to belittle my experiences) so a redirection might be for the best!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
WL. Email about updated portal a few minutes ago.

Waitlisted as well…4th WL in last 5 days lol

• Care
Waitlisted just now. In protest of this cruel decision I will not be attending this program, and I encourage as many accepted applicants as possible to do the same in solidarity.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted 12:38pm EST. Post-II update sent 2/4, is still one of my favorite schools. Interviewed in October, so I am so relieved the wait is over.

I feel for all the emotions going on in this thread because I know this is the dream for so many. Congrats for those that it came true for and I am here for those who didn't and empathize for those in limbo still.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
WL here as well :/

• Care
+1 WL. 6th waitlist in last couple weeks. Thankful for the A's I have but still disappointing :/

Does anyone know how you're supposed to respond to the waitlist offer? Do you email them?

Here's to six straight WL's. Hoping for some form of good news this week 🙃

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
WL'd as well... disappointed but still hopeful. I wish everyone success and congratulations no matter where you go-- the fact that we've made it this far is incredible

• Care
Email rejection :( Basically wraps up my cycle but congrats to everyone with an A and good luck to all those on the waitlist!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
WL! While of course it's a bummer, it's making my decisions so much easier :giggle: this group is especially talented and I know we will end up where we NEED to be, whether or not it's what you want right now.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
WL at 12:37 EST. Cheers to those of us who have to sit and wait a while longer! lol.
Congrats to everyone for even getting to the stage of interviewing at Columbia - that is a huge accomplishment!! <3

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
WL, disappointed but it is what it is. 😔

• Care
WL. Extremely disappointed to say the least.

Anybody else have "highly regarded applicant" in their decision notification? Wondering if this means anything or just generic language given to everybody on the WL.

WL. Extremely disappointed to say the least.

Anybody else have "highly regarded applicant" in their decision notification? Wondering if this means anything or just generic language given to everybody on the WL.
I had the same, I think it's just generic for everyone -- like the same exact wording about "highly regarded" was used in the responses to thank-you emails and updates, but that's just my guess.

Also, to reiterate what was previously asked, does anyone know about WL movement? I saw from the spreadsheet, 300 are accepted and 140 matriculate. Not really sure how to interpret that.

Additionally, how long is it prudent to stay on the WL, even for a dream school, if you have other acceptances that you are happy with (just not as happy as your waitlist option)? Just trying to be rational with finding living arrangements and signing leases and stuff. Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this and not sure who to ask.

Reactions: 5 users
Also, to reiterate what was previously asked, does anyone know about WL movement? I saw from the spreadsheet, 300 are accepted and 140 matriculate. Not really sure how to interpret that.
MSAR says the number of waitlists varies each year and there's no data on acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist. It says "the waitlist is not ranked and remains open until the first day of class."

anyone know when/if columbia gives out merit scholarships?

anyone know when/if columbia gives out merit scholarships?
I believe their aid is 100% need-based—no merit. However, they also have a debt-free policy, so all aid beyond your expected financial contribution is a grant, not a loan.

Does anybody know if Columbia has any kind of admitted student's facebook page?

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for the late post but I received an A yesterday around 11am EST 😊😊 Feeling extremely excited.

Does anyone know if the admissions office is able to offer a make-up second look day? Or if there is a way to organize an in-person tour?

Anyone know where we can find the student ID to apply for financial aid?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if we get an acceptance, are we supposed to say accept the acceptance in the portal? or does that commit you to the school?

Does anyone know if we get an acceptance, are we supposed to say accept the acceptance in the portal? or does that commit you to the school?
Hitting accept in the portal is non-binding! The AMCAS choose your medical school tool stuff is what binds you later on in the year