2021-2022 Columbia (Vagelos)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
'Tis the season. At most of these schools, these have been teed up for months, but they choose to play games and hold them until they are done done done with IIs, rather than being transparent and letting us know where we stand once a decision has been made, on the one in a million chance that they are going to need to go to a pile of several thousand rejected applications to find someone to call for a last minute II, instead of just holding a few dozen applications in reserve for that purpose.

It is what it is. It's a sellers' market. They care about the people they are targeting. They don't care about the vast majority of their applicants, or the impact the waiting, lack of transparency and stress has on us. They are running a MD factory, and those among us receiving these Rs are nothing more than fungible, unneeded inputs.

THAT is what's in the air!!!
Pretty accurate I would say.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Pre-II R today.
It was fun while it lasted ! See yall in the other threads :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume MSTP decisions have a different timeline compared to regular MD?

Also, do you all know whether Ivy schools send out their decisions on the same day like for undergrad, or on separate days?
Separate days.

Also, do you all know whether Ivy schools send out their decisions on the same day like for undergrad, or on separate days?
yes last year MSTP was also earlier than MD by ~2 weeks

Did you receive a phone call, or email?
I got an email that a “decision” was released on the portal. I was then directed to the portal and told to click on view decision.

Reactions: 3 users

All Ivies generally have non-rolling admission so everyone usually receives a decision at the same time.

All Ivies generally have non-rolling admission so everyone usually receives a decision at the same time.
I also applied/ interviewed for MD/PhD and haven't heard anything back (positive or negative news). So maybe not all decisions are released on the same day?

Reactions: 1 user
I also applied/ interviewed for MD/PhD and haven't heard anything back (positive or negative news). So maybe not all decisions are released on the same day?
Yea. Maybe not. Usually decisions come out later in February so I was very surprised to even get a decision today. I also interviewed during the first interview session if that changes anything

Members don't see this ad :)
+1.. congrats to those who got the A today and hoping that decisions will come out soon for us 🙏

Reactions: 1 users
am i the only one who is having stress dream abt this decision ?? ahhhh i had a really weird interview (similar to the experiences ppl shared earlier), generally feeling super nervous because this is my dream school and i was shocked to have even gotten an interview in the first place... how is everyone else holding up? do we think LOIs help right now?

Reactions: 4 users
am i the only one who is having stress dream abt this decision ?? ahhhh i had a really weird interview (similar to the experiences ppl shared earlier), generally feeling super nervous because this is my dream school and i was shocked to have even gotten an interview in the first place... how is everyone else holding up? do we think LOIs help right now?
Also just had a stress dream :dead: the anticipation for all these late-release schools is killing me

Yea. Maybe not. Usually decisions come out later in February so I was very surprised to even get a decision today. I also interviewed during the first interview session if that changes anything
+1 for MSTP A yesterday! It seemed from past years' acceptance threads that for MSTP, all A's were released on the same day, with waitlists and R's coming soon after. For context, I had interviewed in the middle of the available dates, so not sure if that's a component.. best of luck all <3

• Love
Do we think they’ll send a decision sometime next week 🥺 getting so anxious ughhhh

Will they send an email to everyone or make calls ? Think they have done both in the past few years, so not sure what they will do this time. Hoping for an early am email.

Did y'all hear about the creepy/racist tweet that VP&S's head of psychiatry made about that Black model? I was complaining to my friend about how nervous I was for decisions next week and she sent me the tweet being like "well if you don't get in this is what you're missing" and it honestly made me feel a bit better about a rejection LMAO

Reactions: 10 users
Did y'all hear about the creepy/racist tweet that VP&S's head of psychiatry made about that Black model? I was complaining to my friend about how nervous I was for decisions next week and she sent me the tweet being like "well if you don't get in this is what you're missing" and it honestly made me feel a bit better about a rejection LMAO
Ooooof yeah that gave me the ick for Columbia too… esp since the dude has a bunch of pubs on medical racism, etc.

Did any MD/PhD applicants hear back about WL or R? Seems odd to have this long of a gap between A's and other notifications

Did any MD/PhD applicants hear back about WL or R? Seems odd to have this long of a gap between A's and other notifications
Also haven't heard back. No offense to the school, but they gave me the impression that they were just not very organized for this application cycle. I think that may have to do with the lack of notification.

sending good vibes for this week <3 (hopefully we find out tmr?!?!) it's pretty badass that we made it this far, trying to remember that no matter what happens we will be ok

• Care
Reactions: 18 users
Is it too late to send a post-II letter of intent/interest?
I actually sent one last week (more for my own peace of mind than anything)… for what it’s worth, my adviser told me that these types of letters don’t typically shift an initial decision on an application post-II, but they can definitely have an impact in the case of a waitlist decision, where adcoms are trying to fill spots quickly

Fun fact that maybe I shouldn't share but will anyway: in my notes from my interview day, I wrote "hear back in Feb." Was anyone else told by interviewers that they'd hear back in February? This could be totally bogus - I wrote March in my med school spreadsheet.

Fun fact that maybe I shouldn't share but will anyway: in my notes from my interview day, I wrote "hear back in Feb." Was anyone else told by interviewers that they'd hear back in February? This could be totally bogus - I wrote March in my med school spreadsheet.
I was told "early March".

Reactions: 5 users
I actually sent one last week (more for my own peace of mind than anything)… for what it’s worth, my adviser told me that these types of letters don’t typically shift an initial decision on an application post-II, but they can definitely have an impact in the case of a waitlist decision, where adcoms are trying to fill spots quickly
So do you suggest waiting until after decisions are released or just sending it now anyway?

1646110892186.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
Any news yet ?!? Constantly refreshing my email to no avail 😫

First call reported on SDN last year was around 10:50, so fingers crossed

I don’t see anything in my portal yet. I think the portal will change with the decision after the email is sent.