2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Carolinas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a general question about AACOMAS and the academic update that hopefully someone might be able to help me with. I just received my official Fall 2020 grades and I've entered them into AACOMAS where I am supposed to. I already requested an official transcript be on the way to AACOMAS as well. So here is my question: if my official transcript makes it to AACOMAS before December 15 (the first day you can do an academic update), can I email the admissions team at the school letting them know my new grades are in? Or do I HAVE to wait until December 15 and do an official academic update through AACOMAS? If anyone has gone through this please let me know your thoughts!
I would call their admissions office and just ask directly. They have been pretty open and helpful when I have spoken with them in the past. Asking for their assistance likely wouldn't be an issue imo.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Random question: if I want to update schools about activities I completed since secondaries were sent in, what is the difference between sending update letters to individual schools vs. just updating your info in activities section of AACOMAS? Doing it through AACOMAS seems easier since it will go out to all of the schools at once, but is doing an update letter through a schools' secondary website better because it seems more personalized? Would appreciate anyone's opinions, thanks!

Hey guys, do we have to provide our SAT scores to the secondary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, did anyone get II with a MD letter only? I have an MD letter only and due to the pandemic I could not shadow a DO... but on their website it says we must get a letter from a DO within 30 days of acceptance...

Also, did anyone get II with a MD letter only? I have an MD letter only and due to the pandemic I could not shadow a DO... but on their website it says we must get a letter from a DO within 30 days of acceptance...
They are waiving the DO letter for this cycle because of COVID.

Is it required?
From what I could tell it was, it first asks you to respond whether you've taken each of those 3 exams or not, and if you mark yes then you need to report the score in order to have the section completed.

i got accepted w only an MD letter so don't sweat it

i got accepted w only an MD letter so don't sweat it
I also got admitted w/o a DO LOR. I emailed an admission officer before submitting my AACOMAS application and they said they were waiving it this cycle due to circumstances.

II on Friday! Im OOS also. Surprisingly interviewing next week, fast turn around time still!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone from 11/10 or 11/11 interview group heard anything ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that the first half of accepted students will have to have our deposit and background check turned into VCOM by 12/14. So, maybe after that date they will know how many students they need to accept/decline for admission. I would expect to hear back probably after that date.

I know that the first half of accepted students will have to have our deposit and background check turned into VCOM by 12/14. So, maybe after that date they will know how many students they need to accept/decline for admission. I would expect to hear back probably after that date.
They just told us in my interview that we would hear in 3 weeks so I was getting a little concerned since it’s been 4 weeks.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
They just told us in my interview that we would hear in 3 weeks so I was getting a little concerned since it’s been 4 weeks.
I called on Friday, and they said due to COVID the docs on the committee never met because they were all busy. They said they would be meeting this week and we should hear by Friday!

Do they rank the waitlist? What are the chances of coming off the waitlist soon?

Hi all! I was waitlisted here a couple of weeks ago and was wondering what the movement has been like in previous years. I have other acceptances but I really want to go to this school! Does anyone know the likeliness of coming off the waitlist or the amount of people that get off of it

Hi all! I was waitlisted here a couple of weeks ago and was wondering what the movement has been like in previous years. I have other acceptances but I really want to go to this school! Does anyone know the likeliness of coming off the waitlist or the amount of people that get off of it
i have two different friends (one of whom was waitlisted) who went to school here who said that they move people off the waitlist frequently-ish! it is a ranked list, so fingers crossed!!

i have two different friends (one of whom was waitlisted) who went to school here who said that they move people off the waitlist frequently-ish! it is a ranked list, so fingers crossed!!
I've heard that they are open to people calling and asking where they stand on the waitlist. Have you heard that?

I've heard that they are open to people calling and asking where they stand on the waitlist. Have you heard that?
i haven’t heard that but i’ve spoken to a couple different admissions counselors and they were all very nice, i mean i doubt it would hurt to call and ask, the worst they can say is no

Got Accepted on Friday!!! Beyond stoked and thanking God! Goodluck to everyone posting here. Merry Christmas y'all 🎄

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
How does this school compare to ACOM?
VCOM as a whole has an acceptance rate of ~3.6% and ACOM has an acceptance rate of ~9.5% (source: DO School Rankings: The Best DO Schools in 2020). I think both ACOM and the Carolinas branch of VCOM were founded in 2010, although VCOM has been established as an organization since 2001. I don't think there is a large difference, but from the acceptance rates, it seems that VCOM may be a more competitive program. Personally, I withdrew from ACOM when I was admitted to VCOM.

Got an acceptance with my 500 MCAT!! I do have a 3.8 sGPA and lots of experiences in research and clinical settings including OR work which I think worked to my advantage. In addition, I do have two publications for research.

• Love
Got an acceptance with my 500 MCAT!! I do have a 3.8 sGPA and lots of experiences in research and clinical settings including OR work which I think worked to my advantage. In addition, I do have two publications for research.
thank you for sharing this about your metrics! congrats!!

Anyone still not receive a secondary here?

IS applicant with reasonably competitive stats + experiences. Not stellar, but no red flags... fairly average tbh. Submitted primary beginning of Oct and haven’t received a secondary. It’s the only program out of 16 applications that I haven’t received a secondary, so wondering if I’m missing something? Any pointers or just continue waiting? Thanks!

Did anyone hear anything from 12/08 group?​

Hey guys! I submitted my secondaries at the end of July and have heard nothing since. Does anyone know if they are still giving out interviews? Thanks!

Did anyone hear anything from 12/08 group?​

I’m in the 12/2 group and haven’t heard anything yet either. Hopefully next week and then the week after for your group. They said it would be around ~3 weeks for a decision

Saw that the 12/08 group is still waiting for decisions. I was in the 12/15 group and was told we'd be hearing back potentially before the holiday but I am feeling like that won't be happening. They said they would send an email if we would be hearing back after the holidays but I haven't received one... anyone get an email from them?

Saw that the 12/08 group is still waiting for decisions. I was in the 12/15 group and was told we'd be hearing back potentially before the holiday but I am feeling like that won't be happening. They said they would send an email if we would be hearing back after the holidays but I haven't received one... anyone get an email from them?
i should have waited 4 more minutes... Just got the call I'm IN!!!!!

• Love
Got the acceptance call today! Interviewed 12/14

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone still not receive a secondary here?

IS applicant with reasonably competitive stats + experiences. Not stellar, but no red flags... fairly average tbh. Submitted primary beginning of Oct and haven’t received a secondary. It’s the only program out of 16 applications that I haven’t received a secondary, so wondering if I’m missing something? Any pointers or just continue waiting? Thanks!
I’m in the same boat rn :(
I submitted my fall grades with the hopes of receiving it before the holidays but all they said was to wait

Got a call from the admissions office today which I missed. I checked my portal for updates and luckily enough there was an II waiting for me.

II for Carolinas campus (although I think I put Virginia first)
Complete: 8/1/20

This is a dumb question but, Is the VCOM Interview virtual?

When I confirmed my interview date, it gave me information on travel and lodging in South Carolina.