You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Florida Atlantic
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1061754
What is the preferred acronym for FAU? Trying to tighten my essays up.
I used CESCOM (Charles E Schmidt College of Medicine)What is the preferred acronym for FAU? Trying to tighten my essays up.
That's what everyone calls it there.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can use CESCOM or FAU COM. I used them interchangeably last year.What is the preferred acronym for FAU? Trying to tighten my essays up.
I would use their PBL curriculum and small class size. That’s the emphasis.I'm OOS and am having some difficulty with why FAU. Are there any current students out there that can tell me more about the school/ why you like it?
SamSam11152015
New Member
Where did you see this information?I wouldn't worry because:
first secondary sent - Aug 3
review begins - early Sept
first ii - early Oct
This school is delaying its process in light of COVID-19
EDIT: so if you haven't gotten a 2, dw. i think as long as you receive+send it by late Aug / early Sept, you'd be perfectly on track
I cannot find it in MSAR...Did you call them?
D
deleted897300
shiii is this not public knowledge? 🤐 Lol i do have some insider infoWhere did you see this information?
I cannot find it in MSAR...Did you call them?
I don't have any insider info, but they told AAMC here that they would start sending II in August (granted this could def be subject to change)
I should say this does seem outdated since some schools say no video interviews but are actually only doing virtual interviews due to COVID
I should say this does seem outdated since some schools say no video interviews but are actually only doing virtual interviews due to COVID
D
deleted1055630
will we receive an email when our app is being reviewed?
I doubt if any med school will send an email out when reviewing. Some may change status on the portal. I am sure they will email or call if we are selected for interview.will we receive an email when our app is being reviewed?
I love the small class size-it really allows you to have the “family-feeling” that many schools preach about, but don’t display in reality.I'm OOS and am having some difficulty with why FAU. Are there any current students out there that can tell me more about the school/ why you like it?
Additionally is location. Being close to the beach and having warm weather all year-round really helps your mental health. Due to its location, they really emphasize wellness and practically put it in our schedule to do things other than study.
Another one is clinical skill opportunities. This one is not as unique, as many schools have it, but it still definitely a plus. They are about to teach us radiology next week, so we will get used to looking at diagnostic imaging. If we were in person, they would have taught us already how to use ultrasound which I think is special (I’m not sure how many schools do this).
One last thing is the curriculum. This school employs PBL three times a week. You basically meet in small groups and teach each other things, with facilitators in the room to help you stay on topic.
Hope this helps!
D
deleted897300
has anyone ever emailed them? no response to my emails
D
deleted1043625
Does anyone know what classes fulfill the “Biology/Zoology + Lab” requirement?? I emailed but havent heard back (~a week ago). I haven't taken zoology or lab biologies (outside of gen bio and biochem (but no lab)), so I'm not sure if I even qualify for the course requirements.
Did you not take a bio lab with Bio 1 and 2?Does anyone know what classes fulfill the “Biology/Zoology + Lab” requirement?? I emailed but havent heard back (~a week ago). I haven't taken zoology or lab biologies (outside of gen bio and biochem (but no lab)), so I'm not sure if I even qualify for the course requirements.
D
deleted1043625
O! I'm dumb - yes I did, for some reason I was thinking it was a higher level course. Thank you!!Did you not take a bio lab with Bio 1 and 2?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CountryBoy2134
Full Member
What acronym does this school like to use?
urfuturedoctor
Full Member
FAUWhat acronym does this school like to use?
justinbieberfan
Full Member
For the basic information page, is anyone else's paragraphs fusing into one giant one? I cannot get them to separate into paragraphs, but the experience essays are fine!
wet_blanket_
Full Member
What do you like best about FAU? I feel like through the website it seems like they emphasize student/physician wellness with HealthFirst and stuff, but how much would you say that is actually emphasized at FAU? Also, do a lot of students participate in research?Hello all, I am an incoming M1 at FAUCESCOM.
Please feel free to ask me any questions/DM me regarding the school and/or the application cycle.
Good luck! 🙂
Edit: I just realized that this says you're an upcoming MS1 lol but if you have any insight on any of this stuff I'd appreciate it
wet_blanket_
Full Member
I think I am reading into this way too much lol but for this question:
"What will you as a future doctor do to address SDOH?”
Do you interpret that as “what will you do when you are a doctor in the future” or “what will you do currently as a future doctor”?
I initially interpreted it as "what will you do in the future as a doctor?" but as I reread it like 10 times I started to question myself lol
"What will you as a future doctor do to address SDOH?”
Do you interpret that as “what will you do when you are a doctor in the future” or “what will you do currently as a future doctor”?
I initially interpreted it as "what will you do in the future as a doctor?" but as I reread it like 10 times I started to question myself lol
D
deleted1061754
......what? The question literally asks “what will you do in the future when you are a physician?” I’m not sure what you mean lol I’m not trying to be snarkyI think I am reading into this way too much lol but for this question:
"What will you as a future doctor do to address SDOH?”
Do you interpret that as “what will you do when you are a doctor in the future” or “what will you do currently as a future doctor”?
I initially interpreted it as "what will you do in the future as a doctor?" but as I reread it like 10 times I started to question myself lol
D
deleted1064759
What will you do in the future as a doctor.I think I am reading into this way too much lol but for this question:
"What will you as a future doctor do to address SDOH?”
Do you interpret that as “what will you do when you are a doctor in the future” or “what will you do currently as a future doctor”?
I initially interpreted it as "what will you do in the future as a doctor?" but as I reread it like 10 times I started to question myself lol
wet_blanket_
Full Member
......what? The question literally asks “what will you do in the future when you are a physician?” I’m not sure what you mean lol I’m not trying to be snarky
well every other person I asked completely understood what I was saying so I am sorry that you don't understand lol. could you not currently identify as a future physician?
D
deleted1064759
I see where you're coming from boss. Especially with cringy premeds putting future physician in their IG profileswell every other person I asked completely understood what I was saying so I am sorry that you don't understand lol. could you not currently identify as a future physician?
D
deleted1061754
Omfg I get what you mean now after reading it again. The comment about IG made me realize lmao and made me crack up. Yeah I went with what I’d do as a physicianwell every other person I asked completely understood what I was saying so I am sorry that you don't understand lol. could you not currently identify as a future physician?
annperkins
Full Member
Anyone receive a complete email?
anyone else kinda stuck on the systemic racism and SDOH prompts lol i feel like im writing the same stuff for both....
floridaheatkills
Full Member
I didn't get an email, but when I log in to check my status, it says I'm complete.Anyone receive a complete email?
D
deleted1055630
I submitted my secondary and my application status is:
Current Status: Secondary Application Completed
Anyone else in same boat? How do we know if our application is under review?
Current Status: Secondary Application Completed
Anyone else in same boat? How do we know if our application is under review?
I emailed them on August 7th to see if they had everything, and they replied today (18 days later) and said I was marked completed on the 13th.Anyone receive a complete email?
I imagine they are swamped over there, so who knows if they will be sending out complete emails without asking them for one.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have "Admissions Screening Complete". Completed 8/5I submitted my secondary and my application status is:
Current Status: Secondary Application Completed
Anyone else in same boat? How do we know if our application is under review?
Gandhis Return
Full Member
Where do you see that?I have "Admissions Screening Complete". Completed 8/5
map.fau.edu/dashboard then log inWhere do you see that?
annperkins
Full Member
+1I have "Admissions Screening Complete". Completed 8/5
FrothyBeer
New Member
Tell us about your most meaningful community service experience. How did you grow? What did you learn? What did you enjoy about serving others? (not related to patient care, if none, please write none)
Would volunteering at a long-term residential center for adults with intellectual disabilities be considered patient care?
Would volunteering at a long-term residential center for adults with intellectual disabilities be considered patient care?
Tell us about your most meaningful community service experience. How did you grow? What did you learn? What did you enjoy about serving others? (not related to patient care, if none, please write none)
Would volunteering at a long-term residential center for adults with intellectual disabilities be considered patient care?
It depends on what you did. If you simply engaged the residents through recreation, games, conversation, then no.
If you did anything related to medications or therapy, then that's patient care I think. You should still write the essay using this experience just omitting these specific job functions.
+2 secondary submitted 8/20
I had that message for a bit then it switched back to secondary submitted message. I was complete on 8/9I have "Admissions Screening Complete". Completed 8/5
I had that message for a bit then it switched back to secondary submitted message. I was complete on 8/9
It’ll switch back soon, or that’s how it was for me. I’m thinking they have more than one reviewers to do the screening.
DearFutureDoctor
Full Member
Does anyone e-mail them after their CASPER is scored?
annperkins
Full Member
+1I had that message for a bit then it switched back to secondary submitted message. I was complete on 8/9
This is my alma mater. Very excited to be applying here, was involved with the COM extensively as an undergrad. Small program - about 65 or so students, and a very involved and caring faculty. Very early clinical experience with standardized patients (first semester). Not to mention that 10% ortho match rate..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Caridad center in Boynton BeachDoes anyone know of any student run clinic at FAU or any clinic where medical students can volunteer at? I cant find anything in their website. Is Bethesda clinic one of those? I am not sure
I have Status: Secondary Application Completed and a note about CASPer below my status. However, I took the CASPer July 30th and all my other schools got my score weeks ago. CASPer confirmed FAU got it. I have reached out to admissions about it but they haven't gotten back to me. Anyone have this problem too?
Huh, it looks like my status changed to "Screening in progress" today
+1Huh, it looks like my status changed to "Screening in progress" today
