2020-2021 Florida State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Florida State University

Members don't see this ad.

Current M1. Please let me know of any questions!
I noticed by FSU’s mission statement that they emphasize service to rural/elderly community. Do you know if they place an emphasis on other underserved communities (homeless, refugees, ect). How are the research opportunities? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed by FSU’s mission statement that they emphasize service to rural/elderly community. Do you know if they place an emphasis on other underserved communities (homeless, refugees, ect). How are the research opportunities? Thanks!
They recently opened a clinic in the most impoverished part of Tallahassee (called FSU PrimaryHealth). They are big on any and all underserved populations. Tbh I haven’t looked too far into the research opportunities yet, but I know they offer a research grant for the summer after M1 and students generally do this or TA. From what I have gathered, there’s definitely research opportunities available, if that’s something you’re big on, but, as I mentioned, that’s not my area of expertise ATM, so I’d recommend looking further into that on their website.

Today was our first day of class, though, and we’re already drowning in metabolism, so I doubt any of us have looked too far into research. I’m sure a M2 will chime in here soon and be able to offer you a better answer to that. If you have any application-related questions, I’d be more than happy to answer them!

Reactions: 1 user
Today was our first day of class, though, and we’re already drowning in metabolism, so I doubt any of us have looked too far into research. I’m sure a M2 will chime in here soon and be able to offer you a better answer to that. If you have any application-related questions, I’d be more than happy to answer them!
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to prewrite their secondary right now and I notice one of the prompts saying "indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances." What should someone like I write if I did not really travel for any medical-related activities, but only for leisure, is that okay to say or are they only looking for service-related travel? Also, did you try reaching the 500 word limit for all the prompts?

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to prewrite their secondary right now and I notice one of the prompts saying "indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances." What should someone like I write if I did not really travel for any medical-related activities, but only for leisure, is that okay to say or are they only looking for service-related travel? Also, did you try reaching the 500 word limit for all the prompts?
I didn’t have any medical-related travel either, but I’d recommend intently looking at the travel that you do have. Did you travel to a foreign country? If so, what was so “foreign” about it? Have you been to a city in the US that was starkly different than where you grew up? What were the differences? So, to answer your question, yes that would be fine. Yes, I got fairly close to 500 for all of them. IMO, they were fairly “fun” questions, so it was easier to get close to the limit. But obviously quality > quantity.

I didn’t have any medical-related travel either, but I’d recommend intently looking at the travel that you do have. Did you travel to a foreign country? If so, what was so “foreign” about it? Have you been to a city in the US that was starkly different than where you grew up? What were the differences? So, to answer your question, yes that would be fine. Yes, I got fairly close to 500 for all of them. IMO, they were fairly “fun” questions, so it was easier to get close to the limit. But obviously quality > quantity.
thank you for the help!

is This school strictly for in state? Also, how do they view non traditional students?
They tend to show a preference for in-state students, but there are a handful of OOS in our class. There are plenty of non-traditional students in our class also, so that doesn’t seem to factor against you much.

is This school strictly for in state? Also, how do they view non traditional students?

If you are OOS and don't have strong ties to Florida and plan to live here, don't waste your money. FSU makes tens of thousands of dollars a year on application fees from OOS student with no chance who don't know how to use MSAR.

Reactions: 2 users
“Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions”
Has anyone started prewriting this prompt? Are we kind of selling ourselves to them for the first part based on our qualifications? And is the second part basically a rehash of our PS?

“Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions”
Has anyone started prewriting this prompt? Are we kind of selling ourselves to them for the first part based on our qualifications? And is the second part basically a rehash of our PS?

Yeah, I actually just wrote this. I began by talking about my post-secondary education in high school and how that influenced my particular field of study in college, which then led me to take international trips abroad for this major and (eventually) graduate school. I ended the essay with personal features, such as my rural background and wanting to improve healthcare in low SES communities, such as those that I witnessed abroad in college and graduate school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can use it as a chance to address any potential shortcomings in your application also. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending how you look at it, the question seems intentionally vague.

As idkmed mentioned, FSU is one of the few FL schools that specifically was chartered to train Florida students to work in underservered Florida communities; very few seats go to OOS applicants.

You would be better served at applying to the FL schools that are more friendly OOS (UM, USF, and UCF come to mind; maybe UF as well but my II day and the groupme was predominately IS)

Reactions: 1 users
If you are OOS and don't have strong ties to Florida and plan to live here, don't waste your money. FSU makes tens of thousands of dollars a year on application fees from OOS student with no chance who don't know how to use MSAR.

What are considered strong ties to Florida? I grew up in Florida and graduated high school there but went to undergraduate and graduate school in Texas, where I currently live. I no longer have my Florida DL or anything like that.

What are considered strong ties to Florida? I grew up in Florida and graduated high school there but went to undergraduate and graduate school in Texas, where I currently live. I no longer have my Florida DL or anything like that.
I think those count as decently strong ties to FL (depending on how you swing it. If you say you grew up in FL but dream of practicing in Texas, yea you probably wont get an interview). I think FSU wants to see FL ties because FSU's mission is to create future physicians to serve our FL communities! This is more likely to happen if you are from FL vs an OOS student. If you're interested in FSU, use your secondary to emphasize the fact that you grew up in FL and what importance this had on you and why you want to stay in FL to practice medicine once you are a physician.

Anyone else pre-writing secondaries and having some trouble answering the prompt "Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions"?
I don't exactly know how to start this off and what to focus on in particular. It's kind of broad but I feel like they're just asking me to sell myself like "I gained x from doing y......z also helped me recognize x and etc etc". Thoughts?

Anyone else pre-writing secondaries and having some trouble answering the prompt "Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions"?
I don't exactly know how to start this off and what to focus on in particular. It's kind of broad but I feel like they're just asking me to sell myself like "I gained x from doing y......z also helped me recognize x and etc etc". Thoughts?

I remember I struggled with this one. Didn't it also ask at the end and "why you are choosing to apply to the FSU COM"? It also says you must keep to under 500 words per question but doesn't make clear if this is multiple questions, so I just assumed I should answer all these question in under 500 words total.

So yes, I would just talk about your academics, the good, and the bad. Might be a good place to highlight any shortcomings in your undergrad/graduate performance, explain the circumstance, what you learned and what you've done to remedy the situation.

Then talk about your personal achievements/experiences in the same light, and how they have impacted your pursuit of your professional career. Talk about any work experience and what skills you may have gained from there that will potentially aid you in medical school and as a doctor. Include any research or clinical experience....and feel free to talk about some of the challenges you faced, how medicine might be different from what you expected and where you found the strength and motivation to keep pursuing medicine while synthesizing. Keep in mind, our experiences are always n=1, and truth be told, pre-med honestly don't know **** about being a doctor, regardless of the amount of clinical experience, so make sure not to make definitive statements. Make it subjective: "I believe, I felt, I was under the impression; It seems to me"

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users

Personally, I think those are fine. I applied to UNLV (Las Vegas, NV) last year and had to prove strong ties to be considered. I lived there for 14 years and they said that was fine. I think it is more so you understand the perspective of the people who live in that state / area.

If you are planning on coming back to FL to practice, growing up here should be enough. I have several classmates who went to school very far away and got accepted because they want to practice back here.

"In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now? (500 words)"
Instead of focusing on a specialty, do you think we could focus on wanting to join academic medicine, for example? And then briefly discuss a speciality

"In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now? (500 words)"
Instead of focusing on a specialty, do you think we could focus on wanting to join academic medicine, for example? And then briefly discuss a speciality

Yeah, I went with a combination of each: explained my interest in academic medicine, and then went on to explain how I could more aptly carry out my career objectives/specialty interests by being established at an academic teaching hospital

Yeah, I went with a combination of each: explained my interest in academic medicine, and then went on to explain how I could more aptly carry out my career objectives/specialty interests by being established at an academic teaching hospital
Yea one thing I'm worried about is because of how much they emphasize primary practice. Looking back on previous years' threads, they all discuss how FSU is primary care oriented, so would it not look good to mention academic medicine? Personally, Idk how much I could discuss primary care

Almost done pre-writing, poured my heart into the others but for the "brief description of your parents" prompt I'm so tempted to put "lol no comment."

Yea one thing I'm worried about is because of how much they emphasize primary practice. Looking back on previous years' threads, they all discuss how FSU is primary care oriented, so would it not look good to mention academic medicine? Personally, Idk how much I could discuss primary care
I think you should talk about what you are truly interested in. There's a shortage in primary, so every school wants to ensure that their graduates would be prepared to do this if needed. Your response is going to sound better if you talk about what you love, rather than contriving something based on what someone else, or a website, said.

Can someone provide the updated secondary they received for this cycle? Thank you!!

I believe FSU sends secondaries only after screening the primary, so doubt if anyone already got it this cycle.

So does anyone have the list of secondaries for the 2020-2021 cycle?

A. Applicant Profile
Please limit your answers to 500 words per question.
Travel: Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances. Optional
0/9999
Fun and Diversion: Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.) Optional
0/9999
Miscellaneous: Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor advisor would not normally learn about you. Optional
0/9999
Parents: Please provide a brief description of your parents. Optional
0/9999
Siblings: Please provide a brief description of your siblings. Optional
0/9999
Practice Vision: In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now? Optional
0/9999
ACT/SAT Scores (if any): Please enter your ACT and SAT scores if you have taken these exams. Optional
0/9999
B. Pre-Medical Course Requirements
Choose YES or NO for each of the courses below that you have completed, are currently enrolled, and/or anticipate completing prior to matriculating to medical school.
English (or other writing intensive course): 6 credit hours

Yes

No
College Mathematics (Statistics is recommended): 6 credit hours

Yes

No
Biology with Lab: 8 credit hours

Yes

No
Organic Chemistry with Lab: 4 credit hours

Yes

No
Physics with Lab: 8 credit hours

Yes

No
Biochemistry (MUST require at least one Organic Chemistry course as a pre-requisite; lab is recommended): 3 credit hours

Yes

No
C. Self-Critical Analysis
Please limit your answer to 500 words per question.
Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine, the realization of your professional ambitions, and why you are choosing to apply to the FSU COM.
0/9999
D. Additional Questions
Please answer the following additional questions.
Did you grow up in a rural area?

Yes

No
If yes, please explain: Optional
0/9999
I hereby declare my intent to participate in the courses and associated activities of the FSU COM. I also authorize the use of my personal data file for continuing longitudinal studies of the FSU COM if all personal identification is removed. Information derived from all test procedures, both cognitive and non-cognitive, will be considered confidential and will be part of the personal data file usable only in aggregate data studies.

Yes

No
Have you ever been charged with a violation of the law which resulted in, or is still pending could result in, probation, community service, a jail sentence, or the revocation or suspension of your driver's license (including traffic violations which resulted in a fine of $200 or more)?

Yes

No
0/9999
Have you ever been or are you now under investigation for any academic or legal/conduct problems at any undergraduate or graduate institution?

Yes

No
0/9999
E. Florida Residency
The Florida State University College of Medicine accepts very few out-of-state applicants. Except under rare circumstances, out of state applicants are considered for admission only if their county of residence is geographically contiguous with the State of Florida, or if they can demonstrate significant ties to the State of Florida.
Is Florida currently your legal State of residence?

Yes No
If Florida is not currently your legal State of residence, has it ever been your legal state of residence?

Yes No
If yes, please briefly explain: Optional
0/200
If no, please briefly describe any significant ties that you have to the State of Florida (Examples of significant ties include- but are not limited to- attending college within Florida; having close relatives who are residents of Florida; spending substantial amounts of time in Florida): Optional
0/200

In state secondary received.
If anyone has any questions about FSU (the campus itself or Tallahassee) feel free to DM me. I went to undergrad there.

Are you guys focusing the Miscellaneous essay on a fun topic or more of a unique (aka diversity) topic

Are you guys focusing the Miscellaneous essay on a fun topic or more of a unique (aka diversity) topic

Mine is a little bit of both. It’s one topic but it is more of a unique fact about me / my life

What is everyone's opinion on all the optional essays? Would it look bad to leave out any of them?

What is everyone's opinion on all the optional essays? Would it look bad to leave out any of them?
I think it's better to leave it blank than to throw something together that really isn't meaningful. That being said, I wouldn't leave a bunch of them blank. If there's one that doesn't speak to you, I'd skip it and put that energy into one that does.

I received a secondary this morning and on my phone its logging in correctly as an FSU supplementary app but on my laptop its logging in as a USC Greenville supplementary app! Did anyone else have this issue?

I received a secondary this morning and on my phone its logging in correctly as an FSU supplementary app but on my laptop its logging in as a USC Greenville supplementary app! Did anyone else have this issue?
I had to quit and restart safari.

No payment email either.. anyone get it yet?

• Sad
How exactly are they wanting us to describe our parents? Essay-style or brief straightforward descriptions of their personalities/background

A. Applicant Profile
Please limit your answers to 500 words per question.
Travel: Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances. Optional
0/9999
Fun and Diversion: Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.) Optional
0/9999
Miscellaneous: Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor advisor would not normally learn about you. Optional
0/9999
Parents: Please provide a brief description of your parents. Optional
0/9999
Siblings: Please provide a brief description of your siblings. Optional
0/9999
Practice Vision: In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now? Optional
0/9999
ACT/SAT Scores (if any): Please enter your ACT and SAT scores if you have taken these exams. Optional
0/9999
B. Pre-Medical Course Requirements
Choose YES or NO for each of the courses below that you have completed, are currently enrolled, and/or anticipate completing prior to matriculating to medical school.
English (or other writing intensive course): 6 credit hours

Yes

No
College Mathematics (Statistics is recommended): 6 credit hours

Yes

No
Biology with Lab: 8 credit hours

Yes

No
Organic Chemistry with Lab: 4 credit hours

Yes

No
Physics with Lab: 8 credit hours

Yes

No
Biochemistry (MUST require at least one Organic Chemistry course as a pre-requisite; lab is recommended): 3 credit hours

Yes

No
C. Self-Critical Analysis
Please limit your answer to 500 words per question.
Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine, the realization of your professional ambitions, and why you are choosing to apply to the FSU COM.
0/9999
D. Additional Questions
Please answer the following additional questions.
Did you grow up in a rural area?

Yes

No
0/9999
I hereby declare my intent to participate in the courses and associated activities of the FSU COM. I also authorize the use of my personal data file for continuing longitudinal studies of the FSU COM if all personal identification is removed. Information derived from all test procedures, both cognitive and non-cognitive, will be considered confidential and will be part of the personal data file usable only in aggregate data studies.

Yes

No
Have you ever been charged with a violation of the law which resulted in, or is still pending could result in, probation, community service, a jail sentence, or the revocation or suspension of your driver's license (including traffic violations which resulted in a fine of $200 or more)?

Yes

No
0/9999
Have you ever been or are you now under investigation for any academic or legal/conduct problems at any undergraduate or graduate institution?

Yes

No
0/9999
E. Florida Residency
The Florida State University College of Medicine accepts very few out-of-state applicants. Except under rare circumstances, out of state applicants are considered for admission only if their county of residence is geographically contiguous with the State of Florida, or if they can demonstrate significant ties to the State of Florida.
Is Florida currently your legal State of residence?

Yes No
If Florida is not currently your legal State of residence, has it ever been your legal state of residence?

Yes No
If yes, please briefly explain: Optional
0/200
If no, please briefly describe any significant ties that you have to the State of Florida (Examples of significant ties include- but are not limited to- attending college within Florida; having close relatives who are residents of Florida; spending substantial amounts of time in Florida): Optional
0/200

Is this the secondary for this cycle?

Are most people still waiting on the payment email?