You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Harvard
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
NeelieMainer
Full Member
got the R. makes sense because my interview was a nightmare. hope you guys enjoy your time at this school... clearly is not the place for me lol.
Patiently awaiting my pre-II R 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Email
excitedfuturedoc
Full Member
Waitlisted for Pathways this morning at 10:18am
(Clinic was crazy so I wasn’t able to check my phone until now lol)
(Clinic was crazy so I wasn’t able to check my phone until now lol)
Pre II R
valence_electron1
Full Member
Pre-II R
+1 complete julyPre II R
D
deleted1081241
I appreciated Harvard's friendly rejection email. Lol 😊
I appreciated Harvard's friendly rejection email. Lol 😊
Me too!
Yes!Did anyone accepted get notified of the Reach scholarship nomination ? In they past they let you know of your nomination when you got accepted, wondering if it is the same this year .
Congratulations !Yes!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nycccpremed
Full Member
does anyone choose Pathways over HST?
I would choose Pathways over HST and I did! I like that Pathways students go into rotations earlier! And while I like research, I wouldn’t want it to be the #1 focus of my medical education. I think it’s really a matter of preference
I think it really depends on what you want to get out of your medical education. Some people might want to have a deeper focus on research, which HST leans towards, or more freedom to explore what they are passionate about (which might be research too), which Pathways offers. Pathways also has earlier clinical experiences, which many people might lean towards.does anyone choose Pathways over HST?
I might be wrong here, but I also think that HST offers a lot more research/classes/mentorship options at MIT. I don't even know if someone from Pathways could do research at MIT if they wanted to.
spirochetez
New Member
Any word on an accepted students FB group or contact info for current students?
nycccpremed
Full Member
Any word on an accepted students FB group or contact info for current students?
Yes!! There's a facebook group! "Harvard Medical and Dental School Classes of 2025"
In a shocking turn of events, I got the R yesterday hahahaha (jk)
Is anyone else not super psyched about living in Vanderbilt lol I HATED dorm living in undergrad and yet here we are again...
Even though around 70% of students live at Vandy, I don't think it is mandatory. During the social Zooms, plenty of MS1s said they lived in apartments with other students/roommates. I think a lot of people choose to live in Vandy because of the convenience.Is anyone else not super psyched about living in Vanderbilt lol I HATED dorm living in undergrad and yet here we are again...
Yeah, I know I can’t do a dorm style living situation. Fortunately, that’s not an option for me since I live with my partnerIs anyone else not super psyched about living in Vanderbilt lol I HATED dorm living in undergrad and yet here we are again...
Same here! Can't imagine being in a dorm with my partner , haha !Yeah, I know I can’t do a dorm style living situation. Fortunately, that’s not an option for me since I live with my partner
hotcheetos2115
Full Member
Same for me! excited that I won't be the only one with a partner looking for apartmentsSame here! Can't imagine being in a dorm with my partner , haha !
cockadoodledothecowsaymoo
Full Member
v glad im not the only oneIs anyone else not super psyched about living in Vanderbilt lol I HATED dorm living in undergrad and yet here we are again...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any good apartment suggestions? I was looking in the Fenway area but the prices don't exactly align with the cost of attendance allotment for living expenses too wellLike 70% of our M1 class lives off campus this year because of COVID! Definitely doable and gives you a lot of freedom 🙂
Congrats!!! Do you know how many people get off WL from HST each year, if any 😀😀Big congrats to everyone who got accepted. I’m on the tail end of my time at HMS so I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
Sorry, HST is a complete mystery to me. I have no idea what they do.Congrats!!! Do you know how many people get off WL from HST each year, if any 😀😀
Thank you! Super hyped about the possibility of HMS.Big congrats to everyone who got accepted. I’m on the tail end of my time at HMS so I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
Was wondering if you have a rough idea of how long it takes for the financial aid office to released awards ?
Does anyone know how many WL for Pathway each year?Thanks! Any insight into how the Pathways wait list works and what the chance of acceptance is once on the waitlist?
Not sure — rumor has it they're being more careful with the HST waitlist this year because they overenrolled last yearCongrats!!! Do you know how many people get off WL from HST each year, if any 😀😀
~50Does anyone know how many WL for Pathway each year?
How many WL does HST have each year?
excitedfuturedoc
Full Member
Anyone know if Harvard matches merit aid from awards ?
Nah, they don’t!
(I asked)
Fenway is expensive, Mission Hill is JUST as close to campus and is much more affordable. And, there is a lot in Brookline that is more affordable. If you are trying to get a 1 bedroom, though, you will have to spend more than you are allotted via financial aid. But I live in a 3 person apartment and it's ~1000 each, which is rather doable for the area.Any good apartment suggestions? I was looking in the Fenway area but the prices don't exactly align with the cost of attendance allotment for living expenses too well
nycccpremed
Full Member
Fenway is expensive, Mission Hill is JUST as close to campus and is much more affordable. And, there is a lot in Brookline that is more affordable. If you are trying to get a 1 bedroom, though, you will have to spend more than you are allotted via financial aid. But I live in a 3 person apartment and it's ~1000 each, which is rather doable for the area.
Thanks so much for the info!!! How did you go about finding your roommates?
I was here in the fall so I met them here in Boston. But LOTS of people found roommates on an excel spreadsheet! Someone in your class can make it and post it in your class page. Sooner rather than later, honestly, so I’d start looking once you decide to come here 😉
Thanks so much for the info!!! How did you go about finding your roommates?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hopefulfuturemed
Full Member
Hi there! Does anyone know what the Dean's REACH scholarship entails? There's really no exact info about it on their website.
thirdkidney
Full Member
Was debating posting or not but I guess sharing info is always good — accepted to pathways last week. Cried a lot. Congrats to everyone else who got accepted, best of luck to everyone on the WL, and I hope everyone loves wherever they end up <3
I'm living off campus and it is absolutely doable financially. I took out SIGNIFICANTLY less than the amount HMS estimated that I would need and have not had any issues with cost of living (no parental support either). Most people in my year (M1s) are off campus due to Covid and having roommates drives down the cost significantly. There will be tradeoffs between cost and proximity to HMS, but that's a personal decision. My understanding is that Vandy prices will depend on the room you want but are generally less than $1000/month. Prices in Mission Hill, Fenway, Brookline near Coolidge Corner, etc. will be anywhere between $900 - $1500 per month depending on the building, # of roommates, etc.Im trying to decide between on campus vs off campus housing. Can some of the current students give an average price for Vandy? Also will the Cost of attendance increase if we decide to live off campus (Since its prob more expensive)? Thanks!