2020-2021 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply. Do you feel like they adequately prepare you for boards/teach towards boards? or is there a lot of fluff within the curriculum?
Enough that you’ll be fine, especially with it being pass fail. I often try to focus my studying on stuff that is more boards relevant anyway. If you are on SDN you are already more knowledgeable than 75% of your classmates. Most of mine had no idea that you actually need specific resources for boards (stuff like uworld) but I wouldn’t say that’s abnormal. Upperclassman are a better resource than the school itself if that makes sense

the volume of fluff depends 100% on the professor. Some professors teach absolutely nothing relevant to boards and some pause during lecture to say “this is very important for boards”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students message me. I would like to ask someone non-salty a few questions. I love this school and need to make a final decision on a DO acceptance.

Can any current students message me. I would like to ask someone non-salty a few questions. I love this school and need to make a final decision on a DO acceptance.
Same here. In between schools right now and a student that is willing to share their experiences and any advice is greatly appreciated. Messages are open!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone help me out here: I understand RVU has the option of live lecture or watching it back recorded. So, there is no mandatory attendance in place. However, are there more in-house exams or is there a fair amount NBME/board style tests? Also, does RVU provide any board study resources....I am looking at another school that provides Macbooks, iPads, Q-banks, etc. for their students. Does RVU really not provide anything to its students? I am trying to make a decision and weigh the pros and cons for both and from what I've gathered it seems like RVU does not really invest towards its students success as I have seen other programs do...
Only In-house exams. They do not provide any board study resources, you have to buy that all yourself. And as for laptops, iPads, they do not provide that either. However, they do give you a t-shirt...

• Haha
Only In-house exams. They do not provide any board study resources, you have to buy that all yourself. And as for laptops, iPads, they do not provide that either. However, they do give you a t-shirt...
Nothing else matters if you get at least a t-shirt

Reactions: 1 user
lmfao...can I PM you ?

Where do most students live? I'm assuming just around Parker or maybe even the surrounding cities? Are there ways to find roommates through the school?

Where do most students live? I'm assuming just around Parker or maybe even the surrounding cities? Are there ways to find roommates through the school?
The class Facebook group is a good place to start. Most people live in Parker or the surrounding cities.

Can someone help me out here: I understand RVU has the option of live lecture or watching it back recorded. So, there is no mandatory attendance in place. However, are there more in-house exams or is there a fair amount NBME/board style tests? Also, does RVU provide any board study resources....I am looking at another school that provides Macbooks, iPads, Q-banks, etc. for their students. Does RVU really not provide anything to its students? I am trying to make a decision and weigh the pros and cons for both and from what I've gathered it seems like RVU does not really invest towards its students success as I have seen other programs do...
Does any of that stuff matter if the program matches well? Seems to me like RVU has a good match rate, and at good programs too. If the curriculum prepares you well for the boards then you don't need that other crap... Just my opinion

Does any of that stuff matter if the program matches well? Seems to me like RVU has a good match rate, and at good programs too. If the curriculum prepares you well for the boards then you don't need that other crap... Just my opinion
I mean, I feel like a good match rate is not always indicative of the school because pre-clinical years are similar across the board no matter where you go. How the students preform is a mix of a bunch of factors including their own independent studying and how good of a test taker they may be. The only thing RVU holds on to is their aggressive marketing of "good board scores and match rates" and we know this was not the case this year, considering the performance of their satellite Utah campus.

• Okay...
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I feel like a good match rate is not always indicative of the school because pre-clinical years are similar across the board no matter where you go. How the students preform is a mix of a bunch of factors including their own independent studying and how good of a test taker they may be. The only thing RVU holds on to is their aggressive marketing of "good board scores and match rates" and we know this was not the case this year, considering the performance of their satellite Utah campus.
93% match rate...

lets hope that there are people moving off the list by the end of may
The last deposit of 1K was due May 1st so they should know who is or is not planning to attend in July by now. I would be surprised if many students who already paid the 2K would give that up to switch schools at the end of May

The last deposit of 1K was due May 1st so they should know who is or is not planning to attend in July by now. I would be surprised if many students who already paid the 2K would give that up to switch schools at the end of May
well it depends if they get into an another school and considering that many people on the aps list get in im not concern

Forgot I was on APS and just got a white coat email...but taking my name off- hope it bumps one you guys closer :)

I just withdrew my spot from the APS list as well. Good luck to you all!

Withdrew my A. Hoping it goes to one of you!

I spoke to a connect that I have in RVU-CO admissions and there are about 13-15 people on the master's program pending seats for colorado campus. I'm sure only a couple of seats have opened since this was on May 1st. I would say by now it is close to 10 or less.

I spoke to a connect that I have in RVU-CO admissions and there are about 13-15 people on the master's program pending seats for colorado campus. I'm sure only a couple of seats have opened since this was on May 1st. I would say by now it is close to 10 or less.
10 or less spaces including the master students or not including them

10 or less spaces including the master students or not including them
Those 10 students I mentioned are the MSBS students only (not including regular applicants). They take those 10 first before they even consider anyone else on the APS list since they have a conditional agreement.

Also the clinical rotations aren't as good as CU's or many other schools for that matter. Currently not enough preceptors to go around in rotations. Students having to move last minute to other cities/states and they increased tuition and the class size...

Has anyone been taken off APS yet? I keep hearing people have gotten off the list already but I haven't seen anyone at either campus post about it.

Payments were due May 15. So if by mid-June we don't hear back RVU CO is likely not an option right now. It may be worth considering the other campus if spots are free.

Payments were due May 15. So if by mid-June we don't hear back RVU CO is likely not an option right now. It may be worth considering the other campus if spots are free.
Is that an option? I thought once on APS we can only stick with APS at the school we interviewed with.

Currently APS for the Colorado campus and on 2 other DO waitlists. As the days go by, I am realizing that RVU is likely my future school (which is very exciting). However, I am across the country, and this would be a big move for me. The short window that I would have to move out there is a bit daunting, and as eager as I am to get started with school, one more year of saving money and preparing to move is enticing. I’m wondering if anyone has an idea of what the admission committee’s response might be if I requested to matriculate next year. I would be so grateful to be accepted into this year’s class and I have no doubt in my mind that I want to pursue medicine, I just don’t want my request to come across as if I am getting cold feet. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 2 users
Currently APS for the Colorado campus and on 2 other DO waitlists. As the days go by, I am realizing that RVU is likely my future school (which is very exciting). However, I am across the country, and this would be a big move for me. The short window that I would have to move out there is a bit daunting, and as eager as I am to get started with school, one more year of saving money and preparing to move is enticing. I’m wondering if anyone has an idea of what the admission committee’s response might be if I requested to matriculate next year. I would be so grateful to be accepted into this year’s class and I have no doubt in my mind that I want to pursue medicine, I just don’t want my request to come across as if I am getting cold feet. Any thoughts?
They are very open to this! Just contact them and let them know!

Pro Tip: Last year, RVU at the very last second offered free tuition for 1 year if people deferred. This was because they accepted too many people in the first place. If you wait long enough, a similar offer may come out. So you may want to wait and jump on this type of an offer. It looks like they accepted too many people again so its probable that they may do something like this again.

Pro Tip: Last year, RVU at the very last second offered free tuition for 1 year if people deferred. This was because they accepted too many people in the first place. If you wait long enough, a similar offer may come out. So you may want to wait and jump on this type of an offer. It looks like they accepted too many people again so its probable that they may do something like this again.
If I recall correctly the gave an open offer to defer to APS first, then the whole class, then a free online MPH at SGU, then 1 year tuition. They may have offered partial discount before full tuition, I forget. But the free tuition was less than a week before orientation and only for 5 people.

Reactions: 2 users
Something to consider is a year of physician earning, which equates to $250k+. I doubt you’ll be able to save that much up in the next year. Ultimately you have to make the decision for yourself, but just something to think about

If I recall correctly the gave an open offer to defer to APS first, then the whole class, then a free online MPH at SGU, then 1 year tuition. They may have offered partial discount before full tuition, I forget. But the free tuition was less than a week before orientation and only for 5 people.
I remember seeing this mentioned earlier in the thread. Not something I will depend on, but it wouldn’t hurt to wait it out and see! Thanks for bringing it up.

Something to consider is a year of physician earning, which equates to $250k+. I doubt you’ll be able to save that much up in the next year. Ultimately you have to make the decision for yourself, but just something to think about
A very great point.

I do not think they will take it as getting cold feet. They know that this has been a really weird year and they probably have way too many accepted people than they know what to do with right now. I do not think they will offer free tuition f you defer because from what I have seen, they have A LOT of students on the APS list and it would be unfair to give only a few people free tuition. Just my thoughts! I think saving money and just enjoying yourself for a year could be the move if that is something you want to do!

They offered me if I wanted to defer a year to get a guaranteed spot for RVU CO location. So I would definitely let admissions know if you want to get an official offer for the Class of 2026. You would have to pay $2,000 to hold your seat, which is non refundable. So I would be 110% sure RVU is your school.

They offered me if I wanted to defer a year to get a guaranteed spot for RVU CO location. So I would definitely let admissions know if you want to get an official offer for the Class of 2026. You would have to pay $2,000 to hold your seat, which is non refundable. So I would be 110% sure RVU is your school.
Good point. Did they offer you that option this cycle or in the past?

I do not think they will take it as getting cold feet. They know that this has been a really weird year and they probably have way too many accepted people than they know what to do with right now. I do not think they will offer free tuition f you defer because from what I have seen, they have A LOT of students on the APS list and it would be unfair to give only a few people free tuition. Just my thoughts! I think saving money and just enjoying yourself for a year could be the move if that is something you want to do!
Thanks for the insight! I really appreciate it. I’m eager to have a plan locked in and know where I’m going. I’m hearing from other people who reached out to admissions that people on APS list should be hearing from them soon, so I will wait a little longer before pulling the trigger.