2020-2021 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

These are questions located in AACOMAS after selecting RVU and adding it to your list.

1.) If not currently in school, what have you been doing since you were a full-time student?

*2.) Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school? If so, please state number of hours worked per week and type of work.

*3.) Why do you want to attend RVUCOM and become an Osteopathic Physician?

*4.)How do you envision you will help advance the mission and vision of RVUCOM?

*5.)What unique characteristics, abilities, or skills will you bring to RVUCOM and the Osteopathic Profession?

6.) Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician.

For re-applicants:
1.) What have you done to strengthen your candidacy since your last application?

Asterisk * denotes required.

@PapaGuava

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
These are questions located in AACOMAS after selecting RVU and adding it to your list.

1.) If not currently in school, what have you been doing since you were a full-time student?

*2.) Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school? If so, please state number of hours worked per week and type of work.

*5.)What unique characteristics, abilities, or skills will you bring to RVUCOM and the Osteopathic Profession?

6.) Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician.

For re-applicants:
1.) What have you done to strengthen your candidacy since your last application?

@PapaGuava

Good luck everyone!
How much should one put into each of these? I could write a lot for each question but I am not sure if they want a succinct reason or for me to talk passionately?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much should one put into each of these? I could write a lot for each question but I am not sure if they want a succinct reason or for me to talk passionately?
Honestly, I would answer these as best as you can and with as much thought as you can. I’m going to answer them with the best of my ability because why sell yourself short now?

Last edited:
Honestly, I would answer these as best as you can and with as much thought as you can. I’m going to answer them with the best of my ability because why sell yourself short now?
Very true. I wrote a nice 500 word essay for the "Why DO n RVU" question. Just wasn't sure if they were looking for honesty or brevity.

Very true. I wrote a nice 500 word essay for the "Why DO n RVU" question. Just wasn't sure if they were looking for honesty or brevity.

The general rule of thumb for all medical essays is “write what needs to be said in as few words that need to be used to say it”. If you can describe your feelings accurately and without leaving anything out in 250 words, do that. If it takes 700, it takes 700.

Brevity is always appreciated, but it shouldn’t come at the cost of leaving things out.

Did anyone else notice that their description in AACOMAS says that the "earliest acceptance date is 6/08/2020." What's up with that? :unsure::unsure:

Did anyone else notice that their description in AACOMAS says that the "earliest acceptance date is 6/08/2020." What's up with that? :unsure::unsure:
Yea!! That confused me since AACOMAS states on their website that colleges begin receiving and processing applications on 06/15/2020.

Reactions: 1 user

For re-applicants:

@PapaGuava

Good luck everyone!

2) Should this just be a basic job description? Or how are you guys tackling this?

6) Red flags to not answer this question? I feel I have said just about everything I need to say in the above essays and in my application as it is.

For re-applicants:

@PapaGuava

Good luck everyone!

Please help - is this the secondary? I am so confused. I think about 3 schools I am applying to have these additional questions. Am I still going to get a separate secondary if I get through screening?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please help - is this the secondary? I am so confused. I think about 3 schools I am applying to have these additional questions. Am I still going to get a separate secondary if I get through screening?
I believe these are the secondary questions but someone else should confirm. I don't know what else they could ask besides COVID related questions.

I believe these are the secondary questions but someone else should confirm. I don't know what else they could ask besides COVID related questions.

Thank you. It seems strange to me that the secondary would be attached to the primary. Feels like it makes their job harder and garners them less money. Could it be that they actually want to make this process simpler for applicants? *suspicious face*

Thank you. It seems strange to me that the secondary would be attached to the primary. Feels like it makes their job harder and garners them less money. Could it be that they actually want to make this process simpler for applicants? *suspicious face*

makes me MORE interested in applying to this school because if it is a way of making life easier it means they care!

Yes! This is the secondary! Quite a few DO schools have combined their primaries and secondaries - DMU, RVU, PCOM

I am applying to both Utah and Colorado locations, but Utah is probably more likely for me as I am Utah resident. Quick question, I have read conflicting things concerning how rotations would work at the Utah location. Does anyone know anyone who went here and how difficult was it to find rotation sites? Are they affiliated with a certain hospital?

Wow, like DMU-COM, this school also has their secondary questions located on the primary application. Shoot, I need to get my application in before June 3rd to keep my fee waiver. Wish me luck! I was planning to devote more time to these essays, but I guess I will have to rush them.

makes me MORE interested in applying to this school because if it is a way of making life easier it means they care!

Yeah I hear you, I honestly was just so burnt out by the time I got to it that I don't feel like I gave gold. There's only so many things you can write about what you bring to to table before you just want to write "IDFK potato salad?!"

Yeah I hear you, I honestly was just so burnt out by the time I got to it that I don't feel like I gave gold. There's only so many things you can write about what you bring to to table before you just want to write "IDFK potato salad?!"

Potato salad?! Out of any food, you pick potato salad... bold move. Lol

does anyone know if this school have a physician letter requirement, on the choose DO explorer it states they do NOT require a letter, however on the school specific website it says they do require a letter from either an MD or a DO, was just looking for some clarification before I apply!

does anyone know if this school have a physician letter requirement, on the choose DO explorer it states they do NOT require a letter, however on the school specific website it says they do require a letter from either an MD or a DO, was just looking for some clarification before I apply!
Choose DO might be the better resource because it is COVID updated. Take a look and see if you can't find their COVID response. Tho ChooseDO should be updated.

Choose DO might be the better resource because it is COVID updated. Take a look and see if you can't find their COVID response. Tho ChooseDO should be updated.

thank you! I'll take a better look into this

How are you guys answering #4? or interpreting it?
I'm struggling to differentiate my response from why do you want to attend VCUCOM? Because my response to that also revolves around mission fit.

What are people's thoughts on question 1? I graduated in May of 2019 and have worked full time as a scribe since then. Obviously I am describing that role in detail but am wondering what people think about including other activities outside of work (e.g. I am a competitive road cyclist and commit anywhere 10-15 hours a week to riding)

Is this question more about what we are doing in place of school (working, volunteering, shadowing, etc) or do they want to know more about us and what we do to fill our time?

What are people's thoughts on question 1? I graduated in May of 2019 and have worked full time as a scribe since then. Obviously I am describing that role in detail but am wondering what people think about including other activities outside of work (e.g. I am a competitive road cyclist and commit anywhere 10-15 hours a week to riding)

Is this question more about what we are doing in place of school (working, volunteering, shadowing, etc) or do they want to know more about us and what we do to fill our time?
I would absolutely include everything pertinent you've been doing. Hobbies, work activities, volunteering, etc. It's a pretty open-ended question and I think it's meant to show them how you use your time when school isn't a priority. I listed my work in great detail, volunteering, how quarantine helped me turn into a good cook, stuff like that.
From what I've heard in the past (I know several RVU graduates and current students), RVU values clinical work experience and places heavy weight on it. So, going into detail about being a scribe is a good idea.

It was probably a typo?!? In the ChooseDO Explorer, it states that RVU's earliest acceptance date is 08/03/2020.

Opinions on referencing the same specific programs for each of these questions? There's a couple tracks I would like to pursue, but I am not sure if I should list the specific ones for each of these questions or only on one question.

How long do you typically have to wait until you hear back from them? I read some of threads last year, and it seems like if you applied asap, you hear back around last week of June or early July. Is this accurate?

Opinions on referencing the same specific programs for each of these questions? There's a couple tracks I would like to pursue, but I am not sure if I should list the specific ones for each of these questions or only on one question.

I think that it would be okay to reference the tracks in both answers as long as you frame them differently.

Ex. for 3: I want to attend RVU because of the opportunity to expand my interest in [Whatever Track]. Then discuss something related to your personal attributes or experiences that make said track especially exciting for you and relate it back to Osteopathy.

For 4 do your research and pull 'trigger' words out of the mission/vision, and then you could use the tracks to explain how you will further the cause. With this question you really want to show how getting your education at RVU will be good for them.
Random Example: Once I succeed in my RVU journey and have completed the rural track, I will return to my small town where I grew up to act with compassion in one of the most underserved rural communities.

They are very similar questions, and you do not want to repeat yourself and bore the reader. Question 3 could be answered in a how will RVU benefit me, and why osteopathy over allopathy. Conversely, question 4 could be taken as how will RVU accepting me be of benefit to them and the field of osteopathy. Basically the same question but from two different perspectives.

I really hope this helps! Also if I remember correctly from one of the info sessions, the tracks will add a large time commitment, and so with that I am not sure if they will allow you to do more than one at a time. Maybe try to read through the outdated website for more information!

How long do you typically have to wait until you hear back from them? I read some of threads last year, and it seems like if you applied asap, you hear back around last week of June or early July. Is this accurate?

Hopefully we will hear back ASAP! It is really hard to say this cycle with the wrench that is COVID-19, and I think it is the first year that the secondary was attached to the primary which alters the timelines too.

Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully we will hear back ASAP! It is really hard to say this cycle with the wrench that is COVID-19, and I think it is the first year that the secondary was attached to the primary which alters the timelines too.

Because of the early acceptance date, I'd imagine that interview invites will begin around mid July. I think it's going to move faster than it has in the past because of the secondary attachment to the primary.

Because of the early acceptance date, I'd imagine that interview invites will begin around mid July. I think it's going to move faster than it has in the past because of the secondary attachment to the primary.

Wow! They were already pretty fast before from what I heard too. Honestly just another reason I love this school so much.

I'm stoked about this school for a number of reasons, but I'm super nervous. My stats are around what the average is, so I hope my essays and stuff are good enough. Still...had a dream that Jeff Goldblum was interviewing me here so maybe that's a good sign?

I think that it would be okay to reference the tracks in both answers as long as you frame them differently.

Ex. for 3: I want to attend RVU because of the opportunity to expand my interest in [Whatever Track]. Then discuss something related to your personal attributes or experiences that make said track especially exciting for you and relate it back to Osteopathy.

For 4 do your research and pull 'trigger' words out of the mission/vision, and then you could use the tracks to explain how you will further the cause. With this question you really want to show how getting your education at RVU will be good for them.
Random Example: Once I succeed in my RVU journey and have completed the rural track, I will return to my small town where I grew up to act with compassion in one of the most underserved rural communities.

They are very similar questions, and you do not want to repeat yourself and bore the reader. Question 3 could be answered in a how will RVU benefit me, and why osteopathy over allopathy. Conversely, question 4 could be taken as how will RVU accepting me be of benefit to them and the field of osteopathy. Basically the same question but from two different perspectives.

I really hope this helps! Also if I remember correctly from one of the info sessions, the tracks will add a large time commitment, and so with that I am not sure if they will allow you to do more than one at a time. Maybe try to read through the outdated website for more information!
Thank you so much! This is very helpful, good luck on applications.

For the out of school question, it shouldn't apply to someone who's going into school this next year right? Like they only want to know for people who are graduated and working or volunteering? Cause I am doing a graduate program for a year. Thanks :)

For the out of school question, it shouldn't apply to someone who's going into school this next year right? Like they only want to know for people who are graduated and working or volunteering? Cause I am doing a graduate program for a year. Thanks :)

If you are still in school then it shouldnt apply to you

Does anyone know if they are planning to conduct interviews in person still or will it all be online?

I think you can either omit the question entirely with N/A or just simply state you are moving on to a graduate program. They will see your application as having graduated so it might be worth noting you're starting a graduate program.

I think you can either omit the question entirely with N/A or just simply state you are moving on to a graduate program. They will see your application as having graduated so it might be worth noting you're starting a graduate program.
Thank you!!

Hey RVUCOM applicant fam! I was just curious if anyone was able to find a list of their clinical rotation sites, since it's like a lottery system. I remember seeing a pamphlet or something a few weeks ago but haven't been able to find it since. Thanks!

I just got the link for the supplemental :)

Same! It was just to pay their supplemental fee which makes sense since the questions were answered in the primary app. Does this mean they send a secondary app fee link to all applicants or ones who are relatively competitive?

Same! It was just to pay their supplemental fee which makes sense since the questions were answered in the primary app. Does this mean they send a secondary app fee link to all applicants or ones who are relatively competitive?

Anyone who met the minimum requirements screening. Not sure where their cutoffs are though. For reference, they sent this in the absence of an MCAT score. :)