2020-2021 UT Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ek786 you hit all the high notes here. I think DELL is one of the small schools where your high stats wouldn't matter primarily because they had so few secondary and interview slots and they have to focus solely on the mission as opposed to STATs to narrow down applicants. There may be a slight change this year since they plan to talk lot more students. In reality, this is reverse of most other schools in Texas which are much larger and can interview 700-1000 people who are all considered great students as their starting point.

Which year are you?

Yes, they focus on mission. If you don't get an interview, it's not because of high stats, it's because of mission. So I thought it was misleading to phrase that fact in a way that made it seem like you could judge your chances based on if you were in the first SW interviews rather than how well you fit the mission. I've said all of this in some form in previous posts. DMed you, as I said before, I don't believe this is a helpful conversation, especially bc we mostly agree.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow just received a secondary! IS, 514, 3.75 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA, URM. Transmitted on 7/22

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a secondary today. IS, 511, 3.58 cGPA 3.52 sGPA, ORM

Reactions: 1 users
Are any of yall doing the written format of the secondary? I am debating whether I should do that option since my internet speed is super slow (lower than the one you need to take CASPER lol). But at the same time, I feel like adcom might prefer applicants to choose the video option.

Are any of yall doing the written format of the secondary? I am debating whether I should do that option since my internet speed is super slow (lower than the one you need to take CASPER lol). But at the same time, I feel like adcom might prefer applicants to choose the video option.

So I don't think that the secondary is really limited based on your internet connection (I also had that concern). You can try out the link (there is a small practice question which p much identical to what you'd see in the real thing along the lines of the interface and what it would require your internet to download). Basically it's just a video (that's repeated twice) -> once that video is finished playing you get a 30-second countdown (done in the browser) -> then your response starts recording. Once the time is finished on that, the response will upload. There isn't anything that is super internet speed dependent. The only thing I guess I'd make sure of is that your internet doesn't completely turn off. But ofc up to you how you want to do it and they have stated in their courage session (i think?) that they consider both equally.

Does anyone know the average overall vs BCPM GPA for Dell? I see 3.72 on their site but it doesn't state if that is overall or BCPM.

Also, what is everyone's experience with trying to waive or demonstrate competency for really minor shortages in the pre-reqs?

Does anyone know the average overall vs BCPM GPA for Dell? I see 3.72 on their site but it doesn't state if that is overall or BCPM.

Also, what is everyone's experience with trying to waive or demonstrate competency for really minor shortages in the pre-reqs?
I don't know if MSAR is updated, but it says their BCPM MEDIAN is 3.86 and Overall GPA median is 3.88.

I don't know if MSAR is updated, but it says their BCPM MEDIAN is 3.86 and Overall GPA median is 3.88.

Interesting, I wonder why their website says differently. (It says 3.74**)

Is MSAR accepted or matriculated students? I think Dell's reported 3.74 is matriculated (Classes of 2020-2023)

Interesting, I wonder why their website says differently. (It says 3.74**)

Is MSAR accepted or matriculated students? I think Dell's reported 3.74 is matriculated (Classes of 2020-2023)

MSAR has the day for both accepted and matriculated. I believe MSAR is more accurate

MSAR has the day for both accepted and matriculated. I believe MSAR is more accurate

Thank you!!! I had MSAR up until a month ago (luckily I finished my school list before it expired) but am so short on $$$ that I am trying to use alternative resources.

Do you mind sharing the accepted and matriculated data from MSAR? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!!! I had MSAR up until a month ago (luckily I finished my school list before it expired) but am so short on $$$ that I am trying to use alternative resources.

Do you mind sharing the accepted and matriculated data from MSAR? Thanks!

All Accepted mcat - 510, 512, 515, 519, 521
All matriculated mcat- 509, 511, 513, 516, 520

All accepted cgpa - 3.52, 3.74, 3.88, 3.97, 3.99
All matriculated cgpa - 3.48, 3.61, 3.77, 3.91, 3.98

All accepted sgpa - 3.36, 3.63, 3.86, 3.97, 4.00
All matriculated sgpa - 3.35, 3.48, 3.74, 3.89, 3.99

10th, 25th, 50th, 75th and 90th percentile

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Do they need all the letters for screening also? My committee letter hasn't been sent, and I was transmitted June 10th, so I'm thinking that's why I haven't received a secondary yet.

Did you ever get an answer to this? My four individual letters are in, but one of them was not signed properly so it was rejected, and my letter writer likely won't be able to update it until next week. Am I still in the queue for primary review?

How many did they accept?

Good afternoon,
Does anyone know how long it takes approximately for our CASPER scores to be sent to dell? and does the score need to be in so that the application can be complete? thank you

Good afternoon,
Does anyone know how long it takes approximately for our CASPER scores to be sent to dell? and does the score need to be in so that the application can be complete? thank you
I dont believe dell med uses CASPer

Good afternoon,
Dell does not require CASPer. CASPer scores take about 3 weeks

Thanks both of you for the help :)

Did you ever get an answer to this? My four individual letters are in, but one of them was not signed properly so it was rejected, and my letter writer likely won't be able to update it until next week. Am I still in the queue for primary review?

They sent me a secondary without my committee letter, so I guess they don't need all the letters

Can someone who got a secondary share the prompts share here?

The secondary is audio response live, no written questions to be shared. Scroll up in this thread to read about it.
Ugh... I remember that now. I just skimmed this whole thread looking for a chunk of essays, but obviously wouldn't have found anyways. Thanks for the help!

Just to confirm, this school has no written secondary? Also, what is a video secondary, never seen that before? Do I just record myself or is there a person I have to speak to?

You can request a written one...but I haven't heard of doing it and they really seem to pref the video secondary.

The video secondary is basically just they give you a video containing the question (2x) -> 30 seconds to think -> 2 minutes to respond video just a webcam recording. once timer is up it just uploads your response. The video w/the question contains a recording of a person...but nothing along the lines of an individual you actually speak to (which can be a bit jarring). I believe you can stop in between questions (ie after you've finished one and before you've started another) and return at a later time, but imo its best to just rip it off like a bandaid and do it all at once unless you get nervous.

Have any OOS-ers received a secondary yet?

Have any OOS-ers received a secondary yet?
Nope! I have relatively good stats and am OOS. I think it's harder for OOS to pass the mission-based screen, so it will take longer.

Nope! I have relatively good stats and am OOS. I think it's harder for OOS to pass the mission-based screen, so it will take longer.

Had a friend who received a secondary OOS Cali applicant about a month ago. Just to put it out there that there are some OOS who have already got it

Does MSAR show TMDSAS GPA or AMCAS GPA? I'm asking b/c I have a -0.2 discrepancy RIP

I would think TMDSAS since all Texas school GPAs are quite high compared to outside of Texas.

Does MSAR show TMDSAS GPA or AMCAS GPA? I'm asking b/c I have a -0.2 discrepancy RIP
What do you mean? I think Texas schools report their stats to AAMC, which is what is reported in the MSAR. I think TMDSAS stats are a part of the national averages.

What do you mean? I think Texas schools report their stats to AAMC, which is what is reported in the MSAR. I think TMDSAS stats are a part of the national averages.

TMDSAS doesn't factor in +/- grading while AMCAS does. A- would be an A in TMDSAS. B+/B- would be a B in TMDSAS. So, depending on the individual, one's TMDSAS gpa could be substantially different from his/her AMCAS, which does factor in +/- grading. If I got a high amount of B+'s instead of A-'s and B-'s, my TMDSAS gpa would be deflated relative to my AMCAS gpa. In the extreme case that I only got A-'s for example, AMCAS would give me 3.7, while TMDSAS would give me 4.0.

It would seem most intuitive to me that TMDSAS just sends over their computed GPA data without recomputing raw grades to align with AMCAS standards. I could be totally wrong though.

TMDSAS doesn't factor in +/- grading while AMCAS does. A- would be an A in TMDSAS. B+/B- would be a B in TMDSAS. So, depending on the individual, one's TMDSAS gpa could be substantially different from his/her AMCAS, which does factor in +/- grading. If I got a high amount of B+'s instead of A-'s and B-'s, my TMDSAS gpa would be deflated relative to my AMCAS gpa. In the extreme case that I only got A-'s for example, AMCAS would give me 3.7, while TMDSAS would give me 4.0.

It would seem most intuitive to me that TMDSAS just sends over their computed GPA data without recomputing raw grades to align with AMCAS standards. I could be totally wrong though.
Yeah that makes more sense and what I thought. Sadly, I fall into the more B+ than A- GPA so I was wondering before I got my hopes too up. Luckily, Dell goes scores blind for a few areas in the screening process!

Does anyone know around when Dell will start sending interview invites or if it is very delayed from last year?

Congratulations! May I ask when you completed the secondary?

7/11, about a week after I got it. My rec letters came in the next day, so I was complete pretty soon after sending the secondary.

Just got the call regarding interview as well. Scheduled on 9/1. Secondary complete 7/5. Entire application completed 7/10.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats y’all and Goodluck!! ☺️Hoping they show me some love too lol

Reactions: 3 users
Are all the Interview Invites coming in via phone call? Is that normal?

Has everybody who received a secondary invite been notified via phone call only? I'm the type of person who hangs up on unknown callers 99% of the time so this is making me slightly nervous... Are people willing to share the number or at least the area code? XD

Has everybody who received a secondary invite been notified via phone call only? I'm the type of person who hangs up on unknown callers 99% of the time so this is making me slightly nervous... Are people willing to share the number or at least the area code? XD

My invitation to complete the video secondary came by e-mail. The interview invite came by phone call, and once it was accepted, I received an e-mail confirmation.