2021-2022 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you very much!
Have you received a response yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is a much deeper dive and of course includes many of those who would likely become your classmates.
Hey @REL do you know if waitlisted applicants would get an invite to second look? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where to find average STEP scores by medical school? A UCF student was telling me that UCF has either first or second best average STEP scores out of the Florida schools and I wanted to check that out. Also, do we have a 2022 match list for UCF yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know where to find average STEP scores by medical school? A UCF student was telling me that UCF has either first or second best average STEP scores out of the Florida schools and I wanted to check that out. Also, do we have a 2022 match list for UCF yet?
Hmmm I remember during the virtual visits back in the fall (Laurel I think) shared a diagram with this information and it was a handful of points above the average in recent years. If you contact admissions I assume they can give you that diagram/chart again. I can't find the exact numbers anywhere either

UCF Match List - 2022

1649277220623.png

Reactions: 2 users
if anybody has questions about UCF please feel free to reach out! (current M3)

if anybody has questions about UCF please feel free to reach out! (current M3)
Thanks for doing this! What percent of the class would you guess attends lectures in person? And do most people study in the building or elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I can get the 2022 Match Lists for UF, FIU, and NOVA MD I can complete a 2022 Match Comparison specific to the most competitive specialties by each FL program.
I heard quite a few people from this year’s graduating class had to SOAP in, is that true?

Thanks for doing this! What percent of the class would you guess attends lectures in person? And do most people study in the building or elsewhere?
I'd say in the beginning it was like 30-40% attended lecture but towards the end of my M1 year I would say there was at most 25% of the class in lecture then everything went online. I am not sure what it looks like now with M1's/M'2s because I am not on campus a lot.

As far as studying goes, I would say a good chunk of M1's/M2's study on campus and there is plenty of space. We have a decent sized library plus a quiet library area as well as a ton of study rooms and small classrooms people can study in. On days with classes or clinical skills the building will be busy but weekends it calms down. As you get closer to exam time you will see more people studying in the building

I heard quite a few people from this year’s graduating class had to SOAP in, is that true?
It seems to me a typical number who SOAP ranges from 6-10 each year. Most of those are students who matched into a specialty but need a that transitional year before starting their residency. Specialties like Derm, Plastics, Ortho, Oto, etc. require a transitional year of training most often in an IM area. I was actually proud of our class this year for shining the light on SOAPing and that it is not a negative thing in most circumstances.

Reactions: 3 users
at the second look they told us 7 people SOAPED after being completely unmatched and it was around 3ish people SOAPing due to being partially matched. After SOAP 2 people were left without positions (research years + still looking I believe). Ortho match was 4/8 and Plastics 2/4 (on par with national averages for those specialties I believe)

It seems to me a typical number who SOAP ranges from 6-10 each year. Most of those are students who matched into a specialty but need a that transitional year before starting their residency. Specialties like Derm, Plastics, Ortho, Oto, etc. require a transitional year of training most often in an IM area. I was actually proud of our class this year for shining the light on SOAPing and that it is not a negative thing in most circumstances.
How is needing to SOAP for the transitional year not a negative thing? Doesn't that still entail having to scramble at the end to get anything, and doesn't it mean you applied and failed to match at preferred transitional programs? I get that it's better than not matching at all, and it's not the end of the world, but how is being forced to take whatever you can get from what nobody else wanted not a negative?

By the way, I LOVE the transparency!!! True to form, UCF is offering up information most schools go to great lengths to mask. On behalf of anxious premeds everywhere, thank you very much!!!

Last edited:
The NBME does not release national STEP scores to other than the student and their program because they do not want them to be used as a comparison tool. Nonetheless these scores do get out in some manner, and I would always question the source and ergo and whether there are any validity concerns. I have searched the web and found a USNWR listing of most MD programs from about 4 years ago. I put NO credibility in USNWR because they as the individual MED programs to provide information via a survey. They should be obtaining this and all other information directly from the AAMC or NBME. I "suspect" that there are med programs that would likely "tinker" with their numbers submitted to USNWR. Remember that USNWR annual med school edition, is generally inaccurate, but makes them tons of $$$ (because YOU want to know) and their information is based upon questionable data acquisition practices (they dont want to pay the AAMC for accurate data). You would be much better served by obtaining your information from AAMC resources and the MSAR. Over the past several years most med students are taking the STEP 2 early enough to include it in their CV's for residency applications and is considered more important for residency selection purposes.

For your convenience I will list what I found. Below are the STEP 1 and Step 2 numbers purportedly from the USNWR about 3-4 years ago: FL programs and others of note....there are many more in the article.....

UF - 228/249
UM - 232/244
USF - 226/245
UCF - 235/249
FAU - 232/245
FSU - 222/241
FIU - Not Listed

Harvard - 245/250
J Hopk - 235/244
UCLA - 230/240
U Penn - 244/250
Columbia - 239/244
Duke - 241/246
Yale - 240/245
Vandy - 244-247

Reactions: 4 users
How is needing to SOAP for the transitional year not a negative thing? Doesn't that still entail having to scramble at the end to get anything, and doesn't it mean you applied and failed to match at preferred transitional programs? I get that it's better than not matching at all, and it's not the end of the world, but how is being forced to take whatever you can get from what nobody else wanted not a negative?

By the way, I LOVE the transparency!!! True to form, UCF is offering up information most schools go to great lengths to mask. On behalf of anxious premeds everywhere, thank you very much!!!
Let me try to answer 3 questions MATCH/SOAP questions in one response. SOAP (previously called Scramble) is a process for unmatched applicants which gives them a chance to gain a match before match day. There are several reasons for a med student to be unmatched but the most common has to do with the students performance in the med program, less competitive STEP scores for the specialty, or a student who refuses to listen to the Student Affairs experienced members that they are not competitive for a specialty that they are shooting for (mainly a self-inflicted situation). The other is a much better situation whereby a student has matched to residency type that requires a 1 year prelim in a general medicine specialty (Derm, Ortho, etc). Some of these residencies have enough prelim years to offer both the prelim year and the following residency years at the same institution, some may not have enuf (or any) prelim year capability. Where there is less or no capability the SOAP process is used to find that first prelim year assignment.

If a student is not matched by the end of the official match period it is not good. There are some openings that appear 3-4 weeks post-match. Typically if an applicant doesnt match it is not a surprise to the student or the program, but schools work very hard to find everyone a "home."

Unmatched students can choose to re-enter the match the following year and usually do spend the in-between year participating in Research to strengthen their chances (and I think this also postpones when their educational loan repayments begin(??). Again it should not be a surprise that everyone doesnt match, ?I think the national average for matching is in the mid-90%?. This would mean that 6-8 of 120 would not match. The UCF Match average is often in the upper 90%, but yes 1-2 per year may not match, on the other hand sometimes it is also 100%.

(Disclaimer: My years have been spent as Admissions/Registrar who are not on the special "Match" fix it team, so I may not be100% accurate in the above, but it's the best that I can do and shud be at least 98%....:>)

Last edited:
  • Love
Could any current students give a sample weekly class schedule/week in the life for M1's? Thanks!

Could any current students give a sample weekly class schedule/week in the life for M1's? Thanks!
Generally it is a mix of lectures/small group cases spread out throughout the week.

Monday: Start around 10AM, lectures after 12PM, then might have a small group case 3-5PM then you finish.
Tuesday: lectures in the morning/ clinical skills in the afternoon
Wednesday: morning lectures, usually had the afternoon off, COVID may have switched things around and they used the afternoon for more clinical skills to keep groups smaller
Thursday: lectures in the morning/clinical skills for the 2nd half of the class/sometimes small group stuff
Friday: morning lectures/anatomy lab (if in the anatomy/phys block)

First year classes are broken up into Human Body modules (HB): HB1 (biochem/cell bio/genetics), HB2 (Anatomy/phys/embryo/histo), HB3(Micro/Pharm) then end of M1 year is your first Systems Module: S1 (Heme/Onc)

Second Year classes are : S3 (Cardio/Pulm), S3 (Endo/Repro), S4 (GI/Renal), S5 (MSK/Derm), S6 (Neuro/Psych)

Reactions: 1 users
When do we have to select “plan to enroll” and “commit to enroll” by?
Only when a program REQUIRES you to do so. AAMC guidance tells you HOW to use them; programs tell you WHEN you must use them.

For PTE you may NEVER have to select it unless a program requires it.

For CTE you need to do this when you are sure that you have an offer from your best option or by the program's deadline.

The program deadlines should be noted on their web site.

Hey @REL do think we will still be waiting a few weeks before we begin to see waitlist movement?

Today I have the tour and dinner with the medical students--should I dress up for that??

Any insight of when the WL will be activated? I saw in the email it potentially could be as early as this week.

Any insight of when the WL will be activated? I saw in the email it potentially could be as early as this week.
Facebook group has been getting a little smaller the last few days (below 120), including some knights ambassadors and admissions people, so it should be soon, I'm assuming!

Facebook group has been getting a little smaller the last few days (below 120), including some knights ambassadors and admissions people, so it should be soon, I'm assuming!
Good Afternoon. We are moving right along as predicted in the update email. I would anticipate we will activate the waitlist no later than Monday but possibly even tomorrow depending on how things go today and tomorrow. -Laurel-

Good Afternoon. We are moving right along as predicted in the update email. I would anticipate we will activate the waitlist no later than Monday but possibly even tomorrow depending on how things go today and tomorrow. -Laurel-

Omg Hi Laurel! Thank you for all that you do!

Welcome to the party!!! Thank you for continuing @REL's heroic work here! :)

just withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to someone here!

Just made the hardest decision of my cycle so far and withdrew my A :(... UCF is an AMAZING school and I wish the class of 2026 and everyone on the waitlist good luck!! Absolutely loved it here just knew at the end of the day it wasn't the best fit for me.

Just accepted off the waitlist! Top half of the upper third! A dream come true!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Can someone clarify the choose your medical school tool rules please. So we dont have to PTE until June 1st, but we also can’t hold more than one acceptance after today (May 2)? So technically we still have to select PTE by today?

Can someone clarify the choose your medical school tool rules please. So we dont have to PTE until June 1st, but we also can’t hold more than one acceptance after today (May 2)? So technically we still have to select PTE by today?
No need to ever PTE unless a program requires it. A program may have a future PTE date and certainly will have a future CTE date. But if you are accepted and that program does not require PTE at this time you can simply do nothing. If you received additional offers you are required to make a choice in ~7 days, keep one, WD from the other. But again you do not have to PTE unless required.

You may get a reminder from AMCAS (not sure?) but they will not tell the programs so you really dont have to do anything even if contacted.

No need to ever PTE unless a program requires it. A program may have a future PTE date and certainly will have a future CTE date. But if you are accepted and that program does not require PTE at this time you can simply do nothing. If you received additional offers you are required to make a choice in ~7 days, keep one, WD from the other. But again you do not have to PTE unless required.

You may get a reminder from AMCAS (not sure?) but they will not tell the programs so you really dont have to do anything even if contacted.
Not necessarily! :) Believe it or not, just like you are free to do what you want with PTE, the same holds true for CTE, and some schools don't use it! You are free not to require PTE on 5/2. Other schools are free not to require CTE at all.

Everyone absolutely needs to strictly follow the requirements set by each school. But, if you are accepted at a school that does not use CYMS at all, you could theoretically hold two acceptances, one at a school that requires PTE/CTE and one that does not, select PTE/CTE at the school that requires it, do nothing at the other school, other than let them know you will be coming, and then just be a no-show at orientation at the CTE school.

It would be sleazy and unprofessional, and would definitely create a last minute problem at the CTE school, but it could abolutely happen, with no consequences for the matriculant, if the second school doesn't like the system and is choosing not to participate. Just like the AACOMAS schools! Perhaps an unintended consequence of AAMC washing its hands of the process and leaving implementation and enforcement in hands of each school individually. :)

Last edited:
withdrew from here last night - glad movement is starting for you guys! good look everyone!

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet? I’m on the waitlist and getting nervous now because I was told the same thing as this person - medical school telling me they would accept me off waitlist

Also I’m grateful for the people posting here that they withdrew, hopefully that translates to spots opening up.
looks like one person has already posted on here that they got off. OP of the post you linked was in the top half of the middle third which is not an area that always gets exhausted (based on my understanding). Good luck!

looks like one person has already posted on here that they got off. OP of the post you linked was in the top half of the middle third which is not an area that always gets exhausted (based on my understanding). Good luck!
This is pretty confusing to me. The wait lists do begin to move today at most programs today, as predicted it is moving here. We are still working in the upper-half of the upper 1/3 but we have admitted no one from the upper half of the middle 1/3. Maybe this was a type-o and they meant upper half of the upper 1/3?

This is pretty confusing to me. The wait lists do begin to move today at most programs today, as predicted it is moving here. We are still working in the upper-half of the upper 1/3 but we have admitted no one from the upper half of the middle 1/3. Maybe this was a type-o and they meant upper half of the upper 1/3?
If you click the link in kwerkin’a post it will take you to an old post from 2017 when an applicant was posting about not being accepted even though they were on the upper half of the middle third. This is what kwerkin was referring to expressing concern. I pointed out that the applicant from 2017 that they were referring to was in an area of the waitlist that is not always exhausted.

If you click the link in kwerkin’a post it will take you to an old post from 2017 when an applicant was posting about not being accepted even though they were on the upper half of the middle third. This is what kwerkin was referring to expressing concern. I pointed out that the applicant from 2017 that they were referring to was in an area of the waitlist that is not always exhausted.
Yep, I was just going to post this so thank you.

I looked back and there were 18 in the upper one-half of the MIDDLE* 1/3 that did not gain an acceptance that year. If that person was in the upper half of the middle 1/3 they knew that it was an area that we do not always exhaust from the beginning but of course also knew that we were somewhere close to their position as we concluded. Each successive month helps us to adjust and fine-tune this statement and projection a bit more. We haven't changed this part of our process since we began the program and the information we provide is generally the same, but adjusted for the situation. Like the monthly updates that we have provided to you, older version provided the same information as to the possibility of acceptance and not a guarantee. I take great offense to the notion that we were "stringing someone along." Since starting this nearly 30 years ago my intent was to open the process to provide more information so that applicants did not get abused in this process and had a strong understanding as to their probability of acceptance over time. I dont intend to stop this process because of one complaint.

* I erroneously posted UPPER in the original post - it should have been MIDDLE as corrected above --- REL

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users