-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Columbia (Vagelos)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
yeehaw1999
Full Member
How many updates can we send to Columbia through the portal?
For the anything else you would like us to know question, did anyone use it as a why Columbia question
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, but I had some specific ties to Columbia that I highlighted thereFor the anything else you would like us to know question, did anyone use it as a why Columbia question
I just left it blank, I hope that wasn't a mistakeFor the anything else you would like us to know question, did anyone use it as a why Columbia question
+1Does anyone's letter of references show as not received even though they were received many days ago?
D
deleted1023831
How long should the "Type of Work" description be for experiences?
And for the "Ph.D. goals" essay for the MSTP program, how broad or specific should we be? Like should I say that want to work on biomedical engineering? Or should I be more focused and say that I want to work on EEG signal processing specifically? Or should I be even more specific and say that I want to work on improving EEG signal processing to better measure electrical signals from the brain to better treat neurological diseases like epilepsy?
Also for the "Ph.D. goals" essay for the MSTP program, should I mention specific faculty at Columbia whom I'd be interested in working with?
And the "Ph.D. goals" essay is 5000 words long. Do I need to fill all 5000? Or is 1000 ok if I don't have anything else to say?
And for the "Ph.D. goals" essay for the MSTP program, how broad or specific should we be? Like should I say that want to work on biomedical engineering? Or should I be more focused and say that I want to work on EEG signal processing specifically? Or should I be even more specific and say that I want to work on improving EEG signal processing to better measure electrical signals from the brain to better treat neurological diseases like epilepsy?
Also for the "Ph.D. goals" essay for the MSTP program, should I mention specific faculty at Columbia whom I'd be interested in working with?
And the "Ph.D. goals" essay is 5000 words long. Do I need to fill all 5000? Or is 1000 ok if I don't have anything else to say?
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any resources they used to make their CV?
I need guidance on the format, how long my descriptions should be, etc. If anyone found any templates or examples, please share!
I need guidance on the format, how long my descriptions should be, etc. If anyone found any templates or examples, please share!
How long should the "Type of Work" description be for experiences?
And for the "Ph.D. goals" essay for the MSTP program, how broad or specific should we be? Like should I say that want to work on biomedical engineering? Or should I be more focused and say that I want to work on EEG signal processing specifically? Or should I be even more specific and say that I want to work on improving EEG signal processing to better measure electrical signals from the brain to better treat neurological diseases like epilepsy?
Also for the "Ph.D. goals" essay for the MSTP program, should I mention specific faculty at Columbia whom I'd be interested in working with?
And the "Ph.D. goals" essay is 5000 words long. Do I need to fill all 5000? Or is 1000 ok if I don't have anything else to say?
I did like two-three bullet points for the type of work in the experiences, basically taking directly from the CV they had us attach. 🙄
And I treated the PhD goals like a condensed statement of purpose, so around 400-500 words, i don't think they expect 5000 or even 1000 for sure. And I was pretty specific about research interests and also listed some faculty.
D
deleted1023831
DM me to see my CVDoes anyone have any resources they used to make their CV?
I need guidance on the format, how long my descriptions should be, etc. If anyone found any templates or examples, please share!
dixiedewdrops
New Member
are you able to submit the secondary app even if you don't have enough classes to fill the coursework page and it says it is incomplete?
Dreaming_of_dreams
Full Member
I was triple checking to see if I had all the prerequisites, and I found some conflicting information. On this part of Columbia's website it says physiology is a prerequisite, but here it isn't included in the list of classes that are required. Does anyone know which one is true?
I know I could always just worry about taking it in the Spring if I end up getting an interview but it would do good for my heart if I knew now lol.
I know I could always just worry about taking it in the Spring if I end up getting an interview but it would do good for my heart if I knew now lol.
D
deleted1106140
You're looking under the physical therapy program.I was triple checking to see if I had all the prerequisites, and I found some conflicting information. On this part of Columbia's website it says physiology is a prerequisite, but here it isn't included in the list of classes that are required. Does anyone know which one is true?
I know I could always just worry about taking it in the Spring if I end up getting an interview but it would do good for my heart if I knew now lol.
Dreaming_of_dreams
Full Member
Thank you! I guess I should have looked a little more closely 😗You're looking under the physical therapy program.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the MSTP, if I answer the first "any other information" prompt, will both the MD and MSTP receive it? I want to make sure I don't need to repeat since I want to use that space to explain academics.
D
deleted1023831
YesFor the MSTP, if I answer the first "any other information" prompt, will both the MD and MSTP receive it? I want to make sure I don't need to repeat since I want to use that space to explain academics.
Thank you!! Also, shout out to the neurobio squad
I can't do this either and I have no clue what to do...does anyone know how to solve this problem?Can anyone else not complete the coursework page because they have slots with no classes in them?
212kindofgal
Full Member
Are accepted papers in a peer reviewed journal worthy of an update?
In my opinion (as an MSTP applicant), yes. I plan on sending an update once my pre-print is posted.Are accepted papers in a peer reviewed journal worthy of an update?
212kindofgal
Full Member
Im applying regular MD though, but two papers (Im the 2nd and 3rd author) got accepted at roughly the same time to a neurosurgery journal. Should I just update once they’re indexed in PubMed?In my opinion (as an MSTP applicant), yes. I plan on sending an update once my pre-print is posted.
Ya I'm waiting until mine is published, then sending the abstract with a citation and linkIm applying regular MD though, but two papers (Im the 2nd and 3rd author) got accepted at roughly the same time to a neurosurgery journal. Should I just update once they’re indexed in PubMed?
Personally, I would send them. Like I said I'm sending mine once the pre-print is poster just because I've finished and submitted a paper for publication before and it took an entire year before it was published (which means if I waited for it to be published it would be completely useless for that cycle).Im applying regular MD though, but two papers (Im the 2nd and 3rd author) got accepted at roughly the same time to a neurosurgery journal. Should I just update once they’re indexed in PubMed?
Any updates on this from anyone?I can't do this either and I have no clue what to do...does anyone know how to solve this problem?
My application says that the coursework section is not complete...so it shouldn't be able to submit then.you dont have to fill it up
Edit: I am still unable to submit my application. I feel pretty sad, to be honest. 😔
Last edited:
There was a specific problem with mine but they were able to help me fix it!I emailed the admissions office and they told me that you can submit without every slot filled (which is what I did), however I do think you have to have enough classes to fill the minimum (for example, they require 2 physics classes but they give you room for 6. If you have only taken the two you can submit just those, but you can’t submit just one or leave it blank. ) Is this your problem possibly?
I generally wait for a post in the threadthere's an interview in the tracker but the dates are kinda screwy..y'all think it's a mistake or a troll?
doctorhalstead
Full Member
I remember reading Columbia (like many Ivy places) starts sending II fairly late; I may be wrong though
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Columbia online has indicated they will start sending II's in mid august. Here is when they were sent out in past years for reference.I remember reading Columbia (like many Ivy places) starts sending II fairly late; I may be wrong though
2019: 8/3 (Fri)
2019: 8/13 (Tue)
2020: 8/21 (Mon)
serotonin1
Full Member
You can add like 20 hours of this to your app under research or community volunteering 🙏🏻 Thank you for your serviceColumbia online has indicated they will start sending II's in mid august. Here is when they were sent out in past years for reference.
2019: 8/3 (Fri)
2019: 8/13 (Tue)
2020: 8/21 (Mon)
D
deleted1074206
i hope this week!!Columbia online has indicated they will start sending II's in mid august. Here is when they were sent out in past years for reference.
2019: 8/3 (Fri)
2019: 8/13 (Tue)
2020: 8/21 (Mon)
MD/PhD interviews have hit, so MD only should hopefully be right around the corner.
Does anyone know historically when Bassett track starts reviewing?
Does anyone know historically when Bassett track starts reviewing?
serotonin1
Full Member
II JUST NOW WHAT (reg MD)
Edit: I was about to pop a melatonin and hop in bed but now there is no hope of sleeping
Edit: I was about to pop a melatonin and hop in bed but now there is no hope of sleeping
Last edited:
congrats!! when were u complete?II JUST NOW WHAT (reg MD)
Edit: I was about to pop a melatonin and hop in bed but now there is no hope of sleeping
serotonin1
Full Member
Thanks! Complete 7/5congrats!! when were u complete?
Is it too late to apply here? Assuming I send in my secondary as soon as I get it.
Killing the game, congrats!II JUST NOW WHAT (reg MD)
Edit: I was about to pop a melatonin and hop in bed but now there is no hope of sleeping
serotonin1
Full Member
I appreciate that so much, thanks! I’ve been lucky for sureKilling the game, congrats!
sleepypremed22
Full Member
II!!! 😍
about to spend the evening listening to songs about NY
about to spend the evening listening to songs about NY
Nonpath2MD
Full Member
Also got an II!
II OOS received today. No II scheduling yet. Complete 8/14
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Drinking-coffeeeeee
Full Member
OOS II RECEIVED TODAY!! Complete late July! Email said interview dates to come later. In shock, this was absolutely one of my reach schools ((-:
Congrats, can you mention your stats?OOS II RECEIVED TODAY!! Complete late July! Email said interview dates to come later. In shock, this was absolutely one of my reach schools ((-:
II ! Complete 7/18