2022-2023 Columbia (Vagelos)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WL as well

Members don't see this ad.

Admitted students: Have y'all not yet received the email for NetPartner login (for financial aid)? Getting ready to submit my financial aid info and realized I haven't seen that email. Just want to make sure I didn't miss it

Admitted students: Have y'all not yet received the email for NetPartner login (for financial aid)? Getting ready to submit my financial aid info and realized I haven't seen that email. Just want to make sure I didn't miss it
I haven't gotten it yet either!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all the newly admitted students! I am an MS2 at Columbia if anyone has any questions. I wanted to come on here to share an honest opinion because I wish I had somebody who had done the same for me. And keep in mind this is just my opinion. Some people love it here!

Columbia is great, but it really isn't for everyone. When I was making decisions, I was between Duke, Columbia, and UCLA. I ended up choosing Columbia because I really wanted to experience NYC and UCLA was far from my family (in rural MA). When people here say the competition here is real, believe them!!!!!! I kind of have regrets not going to the other schools, which use more of the "true" p/f approach. Don't get me wrong, I am super grateful to be here, but it has definitely taken a toll on my mental health. You always feel like you need to be doing something to get ahead. And now that I'm on clinicals, its extra hard because we have tiered grading and its hard to not feel like you're being compared to everyone around you. Now that rankings are virtually gone, most T20 schools will let you match to exactly where you need to be. Don't be like me - don't let prestige be the only reason you pick Columbia. I was super into some of the research and extracurriculars here but I feel like I didn't have time for that MS1. And now, I talk to my friends who are at places like UCSF, Duke, and Vanderbilt and they really seem to be more relaxed and have all these publications and great experiences and etc etc! And I know at the end of the day they are getting the same education and will match to their #1s (probably). Just some food for thought!

Washington Heights, is well, you know. Its not the safest. Columbia pretends to be all social-justice oriented and then they keep gentrifying the city. It is quite disheartening to see how they treat certain patient populations too. Also, our MS1 housing is a single dorm with one kitchen - so you'll probably end up eating out a lot (a lot!!!). And it certainly adds up, so I would say the estimated COA is slightly higher than what they actually say. New York food is extra expensive. Taxes are expensive. The dorms also aren't the most comfortable bc I feel i'm a freshman in college again, and I don't loveee that. If having a space that is yours and comfortable to you (as well as being able to cook) is something you need, maybe...think about that.

Anyways, to each their own. It is an interesting place for sure, but remember that this will be the next four years of your life!! Make the best decision for YOU and don't let things like prestige cloud that. If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out!

Reactions: 11 users
Congratulations to all the newly admitted students! I am an MS2 at Columbia if anyone has any questions. I wanted to come on here to share an honest opinion because I wish I had somebody who had done the same for me. And keep in mind this is just my opinion. Some people love it here!

Columbia is great, but it really isn't for everyone. When I was making decisions, I was between Duke, Columbia, and UCLA. I ended up choosing Columbia because I really wanted to experience NYC and UCLA was far from my family (in rural MA). When people here say the competition here is real, believe them!!!!!! I kind of have regrets not going to the other schools, which use more of the "true" p/f approach. Don't get me wrong, I am super grateful to be here, but it has definitely taken a toll on my mental health. You always feel like you need to be doing something to get ahead. And now that I'm on clinicals, its extra hard because we have tiered grading and its hard to not feel like you're being compared to everyone around you. Now that rankings are virtually gone, most T20 schools will let you match to exactly where you need to be. Don't be like me - don't let prestige be the only reason you pick Columbia. I was super into some of the research and extracurriculars here but I feel like I didn't have time for that MS1. And now, I talk to my friends who are at places like UCSF, Duke, and Vanderbilt and they really seem to be more relaxed and have all these publications and great experiences and etc etc! And I know at the end of the day they are getting the same education and will match to their #1s (probably). Just some food for thought!

Washington Heights, is well, you know. Its not the safest. Columbia pretends to be all social-justice oriented and then they keep gentrifying the city. It is quite disheartening to see how they treat certain patient populations too. Also, our MS1 housing is a single dorm with one kitchen - so you'll probably end up eating out a lot (a lot!!!). And it certainly adds up, so I would say the estimated COA is slightly higher than what they actually say. New York food is extra expensive. Taxes are expensive. The dorms also aren't the most comfortable bc I feel i'm a freshman in college again, and I don't loveee that. If having a space that is yours and comfortable to you (as well as being able to cook) is something you need, maybe...think about that.

Anyways, to each their own. It is an interesting place for sure, but remember that this will be the next four years of your life!! Make the best decision for YOU and don't let things like prestige cloud that. If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out!
My WL suddenly feels less bad lol. Thanks for your feedback

Reactions: 6 users

Thank you so much for the transparency and for sharing!!! I've sadly heard very similar things from others at Columbia too

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a Facebook or GroupMe for admitted students?

Reactions: 1 user
Current M1 here! My experience has been the opposite of anonymousmed1919's in many ways. I've actually never heard VP&S described as competitive until now, atmosphere has been extremely collaborative during preclinicals though I can't speak much about clinicals. Tons of opportunities to participate in extracurriculars (research, free clinics, arts, athletics, etc) and really love being in NYC.

The last 2-3 classes of VP&S M1s haven't been required to live in 50 Haven, which is the dorm anonymousmed1919 was describing. Almost everyone living on-campus is currently in Towers, which is apartment-style and pretty nice (kitchen in each apartment, spacious rooms given NYC space constraints, rooms overlooking the Hudson). You also aren't obligated to live on-campus, maybe 30-40% of my class lives off-campus.

Feel free to PM with any questions, but want to assuage potential concerns and would definitely choose Columbia again. It's not a perfect institution (would love to have P/F clinicals in the future), but no medical school is and you'll find people who love/hate their experience anywhere. Would recommend speaking face-to-face with students at the schools you're considering and getting a diverse array of perspectives.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Hi! For the students who were accepted, does anyone see Columbia on their "Choose Your School" Tool? I'm yet to see it on mine

A bit late, but I received a post II R. Congratulations to all the acceptees!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also don't see it. Quick question for other people considering Columbia and Penn--since their revisit days conflict, what are you all planning to do? Debating whether trying to go to half of each makes sense...

They emailed saying there's a glitch in the system

I also don't see it. Quick question for other people considering Columbia and Penn--since their revisit days conflict, what are you all planning to do? Debating whether trying to go to half of each makes sense...
Also have this issue :(( planning on doing UPenn Thursday and Columbia Friday but sadly will miss a lot esp at upenn

Reactions: 1 users
Any updates to the choose your school tool? Still no Columbia on mine

Does anyone know if the waitlist here is ranked? Any way to find out where we stand currently? Thanks!

Do y'all know if Columbia still has AOA? And also if the clinicals are P/F or if they're graded?

From my understanding, the preclinical courses are P/F but the clinicals are graded??? Curious if anyone's heard anything different

Do y'all know if Columbia still has AOA? And also if the clinicals are P/F or if they're graded?

From my understanding, the preclinical courses are P/F but the clinicals are graded??? Curious if anyone's heard anything different
I believe they have AOA but it’s reported after the match. And clinicals are graded as of now.

I believe they have AOA but it’s reported after the match. And clinicals are graded as of now.
Current student here. This is correct, but clinicals will likely be moving to P/F in the next year or two. Also happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Current student here. This is correct, but clinicals will likely be moving to P/F in the next year or two. Also happy to answer any questions.
Hey could you elaborate on this? Currently deciding between Columbia and other programs (the other two ARE P/F for clinicals) and this is a major factor in my decision. When I talked to one of the deans about this specifically they said there were no plans to change to P/F clinicals because of residency director preferences...

Reactions: 6 users
Hey could you elaborate on this? Currently deciding between Columbia and other programs (the other two ARE P/F for clinicals) and this is a major factor in my decision. When I talked to one of the deans about this specifically they said there were no plans to change to P/F clinicals because of residency director preferences...
I’m in the exact same place!

There was a major push to make the clinical curriculum pass/fail last year. The administration held firm but alluded to a change in the near future. I'm not sure whether they have changed their minds about this since.

Hello all,

Could any current VPS students speak to how tiered grading clerkships affect school culture (e.g competitive, stressful) during clerkships? Would pass/fail during clerkships be very advantageous over a tiered grading system if the pass/fail school is a top 5 program?

Reactions: 5 users
Hello all,

Could any current VPS students speak to how tiered grading clerkships affect school culture (e.g competitive, stressful) during clerkships? Would pass/fail during clerkships be very advantageous over a tiered grading system if the pass/fail school is a top 5 program?
To add to that, could any current students comment on how collaborative the class is in general and how stressful the school seems overall?

When is financial aid being released?? Need to have that before I know if I can commit to this school

To add to that, could any current students comment on how collaborative the class is in general and how stressful the school seems overall?
Very relaxed and friendly during preclinical (truly no incentive to gun). Some clubs are competitive to get leadership positions in during this period. During the summer of M1 year, everyone who applies for it receives a T35 NIH research grant, so there is no competition for research funding.

During the major clinical year (MCY), people become more competitive but I still think the majority refrain from classic "gunner" behavior. Additionally, we don't influence the grade of our classmates; everyone could get honors if they meet the predetermined criteria/score cutoff.

It can be stressful at times, but overall I would say it is lower stress than what I hear about at most other schools.

Does anyone know how the grading works for clinical rotations? Is there a set distribution of H/HP/P/F? If not, what does the distribution tend to look like? Are students ranked or given a quartile in the MSPE/Dean's Letter?
Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail
Honors can range from 30-70% depending on the rotation and year to year fluctuations.
MSPE is overall very positive but may indicate # of honors based on subtle word choice (something like "excellent" vs. "outstanding"). Also, they withhold almost all negative/constructive feedback from the MSPE.

Wow. I received exactly $0. I don’t know how I feel about going into debt for $400,000 to be one of the small minority of chumps that pay sticker price.
don't worry me too lol I'm prob gonna be withdrawing my A (sending lots of love to waitlist folks! there is hope!!)

Have any accepted folks not received any financial aid letters yet? (I haven't so I'm wondering if I didn't submit everything?)

Anyone have any luck bringing a pet into student housing? Is the process difficult?

Just withdrew here, best of luck to those on the WL!!

withdrew my A too- good luck to the WL! lots of people have been leaving the groupme so I feel like there will be some WL movement!

also withdrew my A here - good luck yall!! sending good vibes that everyone ends up where they are meant to be :)

Reactions: 2 users
Any movement? Changes in the Facebook/GroupMe?
20-30 people have left the GroupMe in the last few days and 2-3 have joined. Not sure if that means there has been WL movement or whether they just joined late but yeah that's the limited data I see...

Reactions: 3 users