2021-2022 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Louisiana)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received. In-state. Verified on AACOMAS 6/1/21

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are the prompts the same for all VCOM campuses?
Yes! I went to their virtual event today, and Mr. Bill King said we could apply to one campus through AACOMAS and get to rank all 4 of them... The information I wish I knew before sending my application to all 3 of them...

Reactions: 2 users
When I submitted by primary I had all of "Program Materials" completed for all schools. I matched all my courses to the prerequisites for schools I applied to. I just checked my primary app and now I'm seeing that my prerequisites for VCOM Lousiana aren't matched. Has this happened to anyone else? What is going on?

Yes! I went to their virtual event today, and Mr. Bill King said we could apply to one campus through AACOMAS and get to rank all 4 of them... The information I wish I knew before sending my application to all 3 of them...
Ugh thanks for letting us know this lol! Do you know if the secondary will be campus specific too? Like if I applied to all 4 campuses, will I need to pay a $50 secondary fee for each separate campus?

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh thanks for letting us know this lol! Do you know if the secondary will be campus specific too? Like if I applied to all 4 campuses, will I need to pay a $50 secondary fee for each separate campus?
One fee

One fee, one secondary. There’s are no campus specific questions.

edit:
I just finished a Q&A with them and the 2° we sent is available to be viewed by all campuses. They review them generally in order of preference. However from what I gathered if one campus indicates that they don't want our application the next one can pick it up. This also applies to the waitlist.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing this up for me. I really appreciate you all :)

Members don't see this ad :)
During a Q&A they posted the following map as their priority regions for seeking students:

map.png

makes sense lol. I'm in CALI
Someone specifically asked about Cali. They didn't said explicitly don't apply but hinted that if you have any connections state them as they take these into consideration. I think their process is slightly different than other schools. From what I gathered they have 2 steps: first someone checks all the documents and triages the app (1-3 business days usually), and then it actually goes to the admission committee.

Also, if you don't state preference they try to match you to the closest campus (e.g. Florida to Auburn) unless you have some reason to be a better fit for one than the other (e.g. family).

So others states have no chance?
Cannot speak for the admission but they have a lot of OOS but they have a preference for that region. It's not like there's no chance - just that other regions aren't prioritized. They're also flooded with apps (admission mentioned that it's July and they're already at ~4000 apps).

I’m from the part of MO that isn’t purple or shaded and received a secondary earlier this month, so I think we have a chance.
During the Q&A they said that the map is more detailed than their actual procedures. If even a small part of the state (as they gave example of IL) is shaded in any way they consider it target.

During the Q&A they said that the map is more detailed than their actual procedures. If even a small part of the state (as they gave example of IL) is shaded in any way they consider it target.
Hopefully, they don't mind NJ & North East applicants :/

• Care
Oh okay! Thanks! Are they having another Q&A?

I spoke with the VCOM admission today and they informed me that I can share some links with you guys. They have plenty of legitimately good events for applicants to VCOM as well as Virtual Physician's Experience (aka panel with different physicians) which can be useful for applying to any medical school.

1. Signup form to directly get into summer events
  2. Information/future events mailing list signup
  3. If you have any specific questions regarding e.g. MCAT/GPA combos, ECs or anything regarding admissions which is not really cut-and-dry with procedures Danielle Foutz is the person to contact: dfoutz [at] vcom.edu
Honestly? If the whole administration of that school works like the admission does I'm sold ;)

Hello everyone! I am almost ready to submit my primary application and am trying my best to get into the Louisiana school (for family reasons).
Currently sitting at a 3.5/503. Think I have a good chance? I'm trying to get everything ASAP!

Hello everyone! I am almost ready to submit my primary application and am trying my best to get into the Louisiana school (for family reasons).
Currently sitting at a 3.5/503. Think I have a good chance? I'm trying to get everything ASAP!
You have a good chance at LSU Shreveport FYI.

Just got an II even tho my application was notified as complete as of 8/19…. Maybe cause I’m URM

II today!! Secondary was notified as "complete" on 9/7 even though I submitted the secondary a while ago... IS, 502, cGPA: 3.85, sGPA: 3.89, low casper

I would just like to say I had my interview today and VCOM-L faculty are amazingly friendly and welcoming. Each faculty member I interviewed with were genuine and my stress/anxiety vanished super quickly. Looking forward to hearing back from them soon!

Reactions: 8 users
I’m a first year at VCOM-LA. Feel free to ask me any questions you all my have as you go through the process!

Eeee anyone know about how long after the interview we should be expecting a decision? Last year I saw they were really fast about it. It’s been two weeks now but idk maybe it’s just different this year

Eeee anyone know about how long after the interview we should be expecting a decision? Last year I saw they were really fast about it. It’s been two weeks now but idk maybe it’s just different this year
At my interview they said something like 3-4 weeks.

Eeee anyone know about how long after the interview we should be expecting a decision? Last year I saw they were really fast about it. It’s been two weeks now but idk maybe it’s just different this years
It was 19 days from interview to hearing about a decision for me last year.

Just got the acceptance call!! interviewed 9/9 and hearing back from two other schools in the next couple of days

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the acceptance call as well! Interviewed 9/9, first acceptance, OOS, happy to answer any questions from anyone. Good luck to everyone this cycle :)

Reactions: 3 users
Also interviewed and accepted here — loved the interview day experience and definitely felt this school is underrated. Feel free to PM for stats or other questions

Just got the acceptance call!! interviewed 9/9 and hearing back from two other schools in the next couple of days
Just got the acceptance call as well! Interviewed 9/9, first acceptance, OOS, happy to answer any questions from anyone. Good luck to everyone this cycle :)
Also interviewed and accepted here — loved the interview day experience and definitely felt this school is underrated. Feel free to PM for stats or other questions
congratulations guys!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
pretty surprised to get the acceptance call too, I thought they would email or something. feel free to pm for stats or other questions as well.

Reactions: 4 users