2021-2022 Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it getting too late for an II from this school? :(
I dont think so!! Depends when you turned in your secondary and if you are OOS or IS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who have received the acceptance email, does returning the documents signed to the email listed just guarantee that they hold a spot for you in the incoming class? Will I still be able to wait to hear back from other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have received the acceptance email, does returning the documents signed to the email listed just guarantee that they hold a spot for you in the incoming class? Will I still be able to wait to hear back from other schools?
yep it's not binding. Just to hold your spot!

anyone who got accepted mind sharing their stats? My interviewer specifically told me the average MCAT of accepted students is a 507 which surprised me... thought it was like a 512. Anyways, anyone get an A already with average ish stats? I interviewed 12/9!

Reactions: 2 users
anyone who got accepted mind sharing their stats? My interviewer specifically told me the average MCAT of accepted students is a 507 which surprised me... thought it was like a 512. Anyways, anyone get an A already with average ish stats? I interviewed 12/9!

There’s a document on their website that says the average is 510 and the median on MSAR is 512. They still definitely don’t care about your MCAT as much as other schools.

Interviewed 12/2. Still didn't hear back.

Is there an accepted students group? I would love to join :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Just interviewed on 1/14, got my II 12/16. It was a great experience! During the interview they said that it was the very last day for regular MD applicants, more MD/PhD interviews to come. Just a heads up!

Has anyone heard anything from 12/9 interview date??
11/18 heard last week, so likely 12/2 will here this week and 12/9 next week!
ah thank you!!!! The wait has felt like ages lol

12/2 and haven't heard anything, really thought we would hear something today! Have a friend who's an M2 right now and they said lots of COVID among KU staff/students so that could be a factor.

12/2 and haven't heard anything, really thought we would hear something today! Have a friend who's an M2 right now and they said lots of COVID among KU staff/students so that could be a factor.
I'm a non-trad KUSOM applicant who works in a clinical leadership and teaching role at KU. Can confirm that *lots* of staff have been affected by COVID since the holidays. My small team has three out currently, two who just returned after battling it, one of our attendings has it, and another attending's wife just tested positive for it, so we're fully expecting him to test positive soon.

Interviewed 12/9 and really appreciate those of you who asked the 12/2 folks whether they'd heard anything yet. I've been refreshing this thread so often looking for news that I might wear a groove in my trackpad.

Best of luck to everyone else who's still waiting to find out!

• Care
I think someone above mentioned that at their interview KUSOM said they were now done interviewing.
I think they said they were done interviewing regular decisions and now are doing MD/PhD interviews!

those of you who received the wait until March email, I have a couple of questions… did they give you any insight about where you stand? Also what are your stats like? I feel like its very confusing as i know some people with below average stats that get immediate acceptances and vice versa. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

those of you who received the wait until March email, I have a couple of questions… did they give you any insight about where you stand? Also what are your stats like? I feel like its very confusing as i know some people with below average stats that get immediate acceptances and vice versa. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
no info on where you stand (i have average stats), all it says is that we'll hear back anytime between now and mid march. it seems like ku really does try to see the whole applicant beyond their stats and that's why your interview plays a big role in their decision. I think some lower stat applicants must do a better job conveying their passion to work in medicine and that leads to their immediate acceptance. academic success (for the most part) can be taught but someone's character is hard to change

Agreeing with @premedandstressed !! I don’t think it is a super good indicator of final results.

My stats are 510 MCAT (after second take), 3.76 Science GPA, and 3.81 Overall GPA. I am an IS student.

I have friends who have lower stats MCAT-wise than me and got the same results.

I do think KU does look at stats but definitely isn’t the only factor they take into account. Volunteer experience, clinical experience and other ECs are also an important part of the application. I don’t mind sharing my ECs either if you are curious as well.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
no info on where you stand (i have average stats), all it says is that we'll hear back anytime between now and mid march. it seems like ku really does try to see the whole applicant beyond their stats and that's why your interview plays a big role in their decision. I think some lower stat applicants must do a better job conveying their passion to work in medicine and that leads to their immediate acceptance. academic success (for the most part) can be taught but someone's character is hard to change
You put this in a great way, thank you so much!

• Love
Agreeing with @premedandstressed !! I don’t think it is a super good indicator of final results.

My stats are 510 MCAT (after second take), 3.76 Science GPA, and 3.81 Overall GPA. I am an IS student.

I have friends who have lower stats MCAT-wise than me and got the same results.

I do think KU does look at stats but definitely isn’t the only factor they take into account. Volunteer experience, clinical experience and other ECs are also an important part of the application. I don’t mind sharing my ECs either if you are curious as well.
Thank you for the reply! We have almost identical stats so id love to hear how everything has gone for you along with your EC’s and what not!

I have below average stats compared to average KU matriculants. Email does not tell us where we stand on the wait till March category. Once they are finished with all the interviews, they will send us notification regarding approval, denial or wait list based on the score we received after the interview. Good luck to all of us !!

Thank you for the reply! We have almost identical stats so id love to hear how everything has gone for you along with your EC’s and what not!
Yeah no worries! I can totally do that :)! Just to keep anonymous, I’m going to kind of be slightly vague in what I do if that’s okay.

- I’ve been an In-Home Care Taker for over two years now. I work with elderly patients and patients with disabilities.

-I volunteer at a retirement home, animal shelter, hospice care, and a hospital

- I have three year leadership/executive board position for a volunteering club

-I have done 2 years of research for Applied Behavioral Science and was able to present research at a poster symposium

-4 years in a medical fraternity

- Shadowing: 40 hours in person; 40 hours online

- I talked about some hobbies: drawing and weight-lifting

Good luck everyone!! ❤️

Anyone know where I can find the 2022-2023 academic calendar? Can’t seem to find it on their website or by googling it. TIA!

Does anyone know if you should include your parent information on FAFSA for KUSOM? I think I'd get more federal aid without my parent's info, but not sure if KUSOM requires it for their own stuff?

Does anyone know if you should include your parent information on FAFSA for KUSOM? I think I'd get more federal aid without my parent's info, but not sure if KUSOM requires it for their own stuff?
So someone please correct me if i’m wrong but per my understanding - since this would be a professional program of study, your parents’ income wouldn’t affect your graduate degree loans and you would get whatever loan amount the school allocates and deems necessary for each school year. But if you did put your parental information in it could help for people who would qualify for pell grants and such. Some schools are able to consider you for more scholarships if your parental info is incorporated and you qualify. But ultimately whether or not you include it you will still qualify to get the federal aid loan amount for each year as long as you qualify for federal aid in general. i think. :)

So someone please correct me if i’m wrong but per my understanding - since this would be a professional program of study, your parents’ income wouldn’t affect your graduate degree loans and you would get whatever loan amount the school allocates and deems necessary for each school year. But if you did put your parental information in it could help for people who would qualify for pell grants and such. Some schools are able to consider you for more scholarships if your parental info is incorporated and you qualify. But ultimately whether or not you include it you will still qualify to get the federal aid loan amount for each year as long as you qualify for federal aid in general. i think. :)
Yes, I think you're right! I was more so wondering if KU in particular requires you to include it in order to qualify for any of their scholarships.

I noticed during the game that university of Kansas is the official healthcare system of the chiefs. How is this possible if Kansas City is in MO? Just curious

• Haha
I noticed during the game that university of Kansas is the official healthcare system of the chiefs. How is this possible if Kansas City is in MO? Just curious
I'm hesitantly answering this question with my spidey-sense telling me it may have been asked in jest, or even posed for good-natured trolling after today's game. (Visiting performers often tease crowds about "how great it is to be in Kansas tonight!" when they're in Missouri just to rib KCMO residents, so this feels a bit like that)

I work for TUKHS and we're the largest academic medical center - by far - in the KC metro. State Line Road runs along the eastern border of our flagship campus, so you can walk out of some buildings in Kansas and cross the street (maybe two depending on which building you're at) into Missouri. Arrowhead stadium is on the Missouri side, but our campus, the stadium, training facilities, and most players' homes are all within one big sprawling metro that includes Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri.

I'm going to go cry some more now and look forward to next year.

Lots of potential reasons. The Chiefs represents not just KC area but sizable portions of Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, etc. similar to how the Patriots represent multiple states, so in that sense it wouldn’t be weird if any other medical schools in those states were a sponsor. The Rams just recently moved to LA and their fan base was definitely more localized inside Missouri when they were here compared to the Chiefs. KUMC and Arrowhead are both located in Kansas City, just on opposite sides of the border. I’ve also heard players themselves generally live in Johnson county, Kansas.

I'm hesitantly answering this question with my spidey-sense telling me it may have been asked in jest, or even posed for good-natured trolling after today's game. (Visiting performers often tease crowds about "how great it is to be in Kansas tonight!" when they're in Missouri just to rib KCMO residents, so this feels a bit like that)

I work for TUKHS and we're the largest academic medical center - by far - in the KC metro. State Line Road runs along the eastern border of our flagship campus, so you can walk out of some buildings in Kansas and cross the street (maybe two depending on which building you're at) into Missouri. Arrowhead stadium is on the Missouri side, but our campus, the stadium, training facilities, and most players' homes are all within one big sprawling metro that includes Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri.

I'm going to go cry some more now and look forward to next year.
Lol sorry for the loss. I’m guessing they’ll be back next year.

No, I was actually serious. I was trying to get some work done so I was listening on SiriusXM rather than watching on tv. Since I chose the chiefs radio stream, there were a bunch of advertisements for TUKHS and I thought it was strange since I actually didn’t know there was both a Kansas City, KS and a Kansas City, MO. I just assumed that the official hospital would be of University of Missouri Kansas City hospital, but your New England reference makes more sense.

I was little curious if anybody knew based on previous year's acceptance rate: what is KUSOM's acceptance rate on March for the people who are in the category of wait till March. Do the usually send alot more Wait till March emails beyond their class sizes ? Thank you

I was little curious if anybody knew based on previous year's acceptance rate: what is KUSOM's acceptance rate on March for the people who are in the category of wait till March. Do the usually send alot more Wait till March emails beyond their class sizes ? Thank you
Yeah, kids get waitlisted and rejected from the wait until March list as well.

For the rest of you 12/9 interviewees constantly refreshing your email in addition to this thread, here's a chart showing the number of admissions decisions posted about in this thread by day of the week. I fully recognize that this is useless, but.....anxiety. Best of luck to all of you.
1643755797373.png

Reactions: 1 users
https://www.kumc.edu/documents/som/ClassProfilePreMeds2016-2021Stats.pdf last year they interviewed 619 people and since 80% fall into the wait til march category, that’s almost 500 applicants for the 211 seats (which have started to be filled by the 10% early acceptances & EDPers). kind of difficult to know the exact acceptance rate since not all accepted students matriculate, but i hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users