2021-2022 Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received - first time I tried I couldn’t login but tried again 2 mins later and now it works!

Email was sent out on7/12/21 about errors with logging into the secondary. In the email they said they took down the app for now and would send out a second email when it's back up. I never received an email stating it was back up, but I was able to log in tonight and work on the app.

For this question on the secondary: If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.

Is it ok if we leave it blank? There are not really any discrepancies for me.

Reactions: 1 user
is anyone having issues with pages not saving but still being able to get into the portal?

For this question on the secondary: If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.

Is it ok if we leave it blank? There are not really any discrepancies for me.
I'm leaving this blank as well!

IS EDP finalized my secondary application yesterday! Good luck to everyone. Hopefully we’ll hear about interviews in the coming month

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a way to check if we are complete? I have not gotten a completion email, but in the portal it says my secondary application has been received

is there a way to check if we are complete? I have not gotten a completion email, but in the portal it says my secondary application has been received
Mine says "finalized" when I go to the final page of the application. I sent it in last night and got the confirmation email that my app was complete this morning. So might take a day to get confirmation.

Is anyone else still having technical issues? When I login, another person's information is filled out. Their SS# and everything. 😬This is not secure at all.

Did anyone get an interview for EDP? If so, could you share your stats? Thanks

I also applied EDP and curious if anyone got an invite yet. Thinking we should hear in the next week?

Anyone know when interviews will be sent out for regular decision?
The website says they start regular decision interviews in October. I got my previous II two weeks before the interview, so I'd guess that the latest they'd start going out is 9/20.

Anybody else hear back about interviews for regular decision? I received my notification last week about an interview and I have mine the week of October 4-8. Best of luck to everyone during this stressful time!

Anybody else hear back about interviews for regular decision? I received my notification last week about an interview and I have mine the week of October 4-8. Best of luck to everyone during this stressful time!
I assume they contacted you via email? I have not received anything. My application was complete 7/23.

Yeah I also haven't heard anything and I'm IS which they usually send invites to early

Definitely don't freak out if you haven't received an IS interview yet. This is my third time applying (RIP me), and the first year I had crappy stats, was interviewed with the first batch of regular decision kids, then rejected basically right away. Last year I wasn't interviewed until mid November, but I had better stats and was within the next handful of applicants that would've been accepted off of the waitlist had it kept moving.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely don't freak out if you haven't received an IS interview yet. This is my third time applying (RIP me), and the first year I had crappy stats, was interviewed with the first batch of regular decision kids, then rejected basically right away. Last year I wasn't interviewed until mid November, but I had better stats and was within the next handful of applicants that would've been accepted off of the waitlist had it kept moving.
Hey 3rd times the charm! You’ve got it this year

Hey guys. I'm an M1 at KU. I haven't seen anyone else pop in so if you have any questions, fire away. I'll do my best to answer what I can.

Just received II! Complete mid-late August, IS.

Last edited:
Still no word for me 😖 IS, LM 80
Edit: My previous point (now deleted) was more reassuring, but not 100% positive if I can say that, so I’m deleting it. Regardless, I’ve also heard before that once you hit a certain GPA/MCAT threshold you’re pretty much guaranteed a KU interview IS. Not sure how legit that claim is, but I really really wouldn’t worry yet.

Last edited:
Edit: My previous point (now deleted) was more reassuring, but not 100% positive if I can say that, so I’m deleting it. Regardless, I’ve also heard before that once you hit a certain GPA/MCAT threshold you’re pretty much guaranteed a KU interview IS. Not sure how legit that claim is, but I really really wouldn’t worry yet.

I’ve heard this too (I want to say directly from a KU med open house? But not sure)

Yeah I know I’m stressing too much/overthinking, but I got kinda worried since I saw other people get invited when I submitted around the same time

Yeah I know I’m stressing too much/overthinking, but I got kinda worried since I saw other people get invited when I submitted around the same time
Here's a longer version of what I previously deleted that I found on their website:

"After interviews, the Selection Committee will meet to review the applications of those who were interviewed during this interview block. Each application will be presented individually, with the presenter primarily providing information on your experiences, interviews, and letters of recommendation. [...] Following the presentation and a period of discussion, the chair will ask each committee member to vote. The votes cast are numerical.​
After all interviewees for your interview block have been discussed and voted upon, an average score (the "committee score") will be calculated for each interviewee. Based upon the committee score, applicants are rank ordered, highest to lowest, on a list that will not be completed until the last interviewees have been discussed, usually early to mid-March.​
At the beginning of each admissions year, two committee score thresholds will be set and used throughout the interview season. Because we know we will have many strong applicants interview with us throughout the year, the acceptance point is set high enough to allow us to conservatively offer acceptances after each interview block. If your position on the rank-ordered list is at or above the upper threshold set by the Committee, you will receive a letter offering acceptance.​
[...]​
If your position on the Selection Committee's rank-ordered list is below the lower score threshold set by the committee, you will be sent a denial letter. Following most interview blocks, approximately one-third of interviewees receive a denial. [...]​
Interviewees whose committee score places them between the acceptance and the denial points on the ranked list will receive a "pending" letter, which means we will not know the final disposition of your application until after we finish our interview season. If you receive a pending letter, you will next hear from us in mid-March. In March, those highest on the list rank-ordered by committee score will be accepted to the point that our entering class is filled (and then overfilled by about 20 applicants). The next applicants on the committee score list will be placed on the rank-ordered alternate list. Finally, those remaining in the pended group will be sent a denial letter. If you are moved from "pending" status to a position on the alternate list, you will be notified in March of your alternate number."​

TLDR: The committee ranks you on a numerical scale, those above a certain threshold get accepted right away, those below a certain threshold get rejected right away, everyone in the middle has to wait until March (most applicants end up here). All the people that had to wait until March are then put in a list from highest committee score to lowest committee score and accepted from the top down. Aka, if you're not interviewed until January but get a good committee score then it doesn't really matter that you interviewed last because you'll end up ranked above everyone that interviewed before you anyway.

Hope that helps!

II received today! IS, complete 7/15 :) Anyone know more detailed info about their interviews/if we will know who our interviewer is?

Hello! Could you give us a bit of your perspective of how student life and culture is at KU? Is it largely collaborative, or more competitive? How tough is it to retain all the information? Thanks!

The learning process is very collaborative by design. The curriculum is set up so there is zero competition.

As far as retention goes, it’s surprising how much you retain. There is a lot of learning-by-doing which helps immensely. Also, Anki Anki Anki.

I’ve heard this too (I want to say directly from a KU med open house? But not sure)
Yes, they stated at the open house that if you are an in-state applicant, have a 500+ Mcat and above a 3.2GPA (I believe, could be slightly off on GPA), you will receive an automatic interview from KU.

II received today! IS, complete 7/15 :) Anyone know more detailed info about their interviews/if we will know who our interviewer is?
You will not know who your interviewer is until the interview takes place. They will inform you of who they are during the beginning of the interview.

• Wow
Yea when they did in-person interviews 2 years ago the interviewer just came into the room and called your name and that’s how you knew who you were interviewed by.

I find that 3.2 GPA 500 MCAT auto-interview policy… sketchy? Do they check for bad personal statements or LoRs or red flags or do they just interview you anyway?

The learning process is very collaborative by design. The curriculum is set up so there is zero competition.

As far as retention goes, it’s surprising how much you retain. There is a lot of learning-by-doing which helps immensely. Also, Anki Anki Anki.
Thanks for the info! Do you have any specifics on what Anki decks work best at KUMC?

Thanks for the info! Do you have any specifics on what Anki decks work best at KUMC?
A lot of people use Anking. I make my own cards. It helps me retain the info.

Yea when they did in-person interviews 2 years ago the interviewer just came into the room and called your name and that’s how you knew who you were interviewed by.

I find that 3.2 GPA 500 MCAT auto-interview policy… sketchy? Do they check for bad personal statements or LoRs or red flags or do they just interview you anyway?
As long as you are an in-state applicant and meet the above criteria, yes you will have an automatic interview.

Does anyone know how KU views post interview thank you letters? Since they didn't give us contact information about the interviewers I was wondering it was maybe our responsibility to get that information.

Does anyone know how KU views post interview thank you letters? Since they didn't give us contact information about the interviewers I was wondering it was maybe our responsibility to get that information.
Yes, it stated in one of the letters that thank you letters do not impact their decision. You can still seek out your interviewers information and send them a thank you letter, but it does not impact their decision either way.

Wait 'til March today. Anybody know the proportions of immediate acceptance/rejection?
Same news for me today as well.... I am not sure the proportions of acceptance/rejection. This next 5 months is going to be longggggg

Does that mean they only accepted 3 people that were deferred until March or what does previous deferral mean?

No the vast majority get accepted in March. I think a deferral means you were accepted the previous cycle then started school the beginning of next cycle. So if you got accepted this cycle and got a deferral you’d start in 2023 not 2022.

How do you guys think your interviews went? An 82 LM not getting an A right away has me worried.