2021-2022 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The 400 character per entry limit on the patient contact/care experience question is really testing me right now lol

Reactions: 1 user
I believe I have their stats, not sure on the community service
Hello, I attended one of the information sessions held by Rush admissions. Their requirements for secondaries include a GPA and MCAT component (I think it was about 3.2 GPA and 504 MCAT or so, nothing crazy) but they said you MUST HAVE >0 hours of Community Service. I keep seeing 150 in this thread, which is not the case. They specifically said you need more than 0, but they emphasized quality>quantity. For reference I am IS, 3.85 cGPA, 517 MCAT, 100 hrs community service, secondary received on 7/8

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I attended one of the information sessions held by Rush admissions. Their requirements for secondaries include a GPA and MCAT component (I think it was about 3.2 GPA and 504 MCAT or so, nothing crazy) but they said you MUST HAVE >0 hours of Community Service. I keep seeing 150 in this thread, which is not the case. They specifically said you need more than 0, but they emphasized quality>quantity. For reference I am IS, 3.85 cGPA, 517 MCAT, 100 hrs community service, secondary received on 7/8
I have 100 hours of community service, 513 MCAT and 3.94 GPA. My community service hours are as a medical office assistant

Do we have to have completed the prerequisites prior to applying or prior to matriculation? The physiology requirement really surprised me.

if it helps for the OP to have another perspective i’m OOS and have a 512+ MCAT. in my amcas i actually have 50-100 hrs categorized as “community service” in my primary but i have 5000+ hours of paid employment in urban non-profit (non-trad). I got a secondary 7/7… there’s still SO MUCH time left though.

Is anyone else having trouble adding more than 4 clinical experiences?

Is anyone else having trouble adding more than 4 clinical experiences?
I think that is the maximum amount of experiences you can enter. I couldn't put more than that either, so I ended up choosing the experiences that had the most meaningful patient interactions.

I see that LOR requirement says personal letter. Could it just be another prof letter?

I see that LOR requirement says personal letter. Could it just be another prof letter?
"an individual who has an in-depth perspective of you and can objectively assess your personal qualities. This letter should be a deeper, more personal letter that discusses who you are as an individual and addresses your personal goals, characteristics and aspirations for a career in medicine. This individual should be someone who has had substantial contact with you during the past 24 months. Letters from friends and family will not be accepted." that's what it says on their website. there isn't anything about it not coming from a professor (some schools require personal letter not be from professor), so as long as they can speak to who you are as a person / character traits you should be good?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had issues with their image being blurry? I just tried uploading 5 headshots and all of them looked unclear on the portal.

Has anyone had issues with their image being blurry? I just tried uploading 5 headshots and all of them looked unclear on the portal.
I have had this issue with many schools' portals and I don't think it's a big deal. As far as I know, the reason they ask for your picture is so the adcom knows it is actually you when you interview. If you can recognize yourself, it should be all good :)

My AMCAS got verified 2 days ago, how long did it take for you guys to get your secondary?

Thanks!
I have had this issue with many schools' portals and I don't think it's a big deal. As far as I know, the reason they ask for your picture is so the adcom knows it is actually you when you interview. If you can recognize yourself, it should be all good :)

I have a new MCAT score pending so does that mean they will send me a secondary after it comes? I meet the rest of their requirements though

I have a new MCAT score pending so does that mean they will send me a secondary after it comes? I meet the rest of their requirements though
If your current mcat score is not a 503 and above they won't send you one. I learned that was one of their requirements when I called schools to check.

if it helps for the OP to have another perspective i’m OOS and have a 512+ MCAT. in my amcas i actually have 50-100 hrs categorized as “community service” in my primary but i have 5000+ hours of paid employment in urban non-profit (non-trad). I got a secondary 7/7… there’s still SO MUCH time left though.
How soon should we submit the secondary?

Did they mention anything about the secondary submission deadline?

How soon should we submit the secondary?
i got it in early july and submitted it i think within 3-5 days-ish? got the complete email 5ish days after that. the secondary email said "deadline to submit the secondary application and accompanying documentation is November 15, 2021 (11:59 pm CST)" but obviously you're gonna want to get it in much sooner than that. are you worried about being able to meet the deadline for some reason or just trying to gauge how long you have to work on it before submitting it? i think the general advice is submit your secondary as soon as you can without sacrificing quality.

On last year's thread there wasn't word on II until October O_O. The year before that, it seemed II came out late August, early Sept. There's no telling when this school will start sending invites.
Yep. Submitted my secondary 7/7 right away since I know they get so many apps. I heard they take a long time though for sure.

all I meant is have patience. And that the message, to have patience, is directed just as much towards me as it is towards you, because I also am trying to be patient with the process. Sorry if you interpreted it as condescending.
Oh lol, no problem man! I totally agree. We all in this together. haha i wasn't offended, was just answering on behalf of the other user.

after submitting my primary on day one, I finally got my secondary for this school today. not sure what that means but ill take it

I truly have no clue. If this was sarcastic and I'm missing something obvious, please let me know lol
Oh no, I really am wondering why they took so long. Their "screen" seems to be really wonky and if it really just is >150 hours, I'm not sure why they wouldn't have a machine or computer manually set that up. I received my secondary (OOS) on July 7th or so and I also submitted my primary on the first day

Just received a II 10 minutes ago! My secondary was complete on 07/26, and my LM is 70.1. Wishing everyone else on this thread luck in applying!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Just received my first II and I am so excited. Not sure if I should sign up for 9/8 or 9/15 slot though. Is there a benefit to doing the earlier one?

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Just received my first II and I am so excited. Not sure if I should sign up for 9/8 or 9/15 slot though. Is there a benefit to doing the earlier one?
Congratulations! can you share your stats and completion date?

Any thoughts on if there would be any difference interviewing 9/8 instead of 9/15?

Any thoughts on if there would be any difference interviewing 9/8 instead of 9/15?
Other than maybe one would find out sooner than the other? I'd say probably not? But even if they did October 15th is the earliest they can send out acceptances so I don't think there would be a huge time delay between the two. (again, just my personal opinion and not an expert by any means)

Quick question, for those who have received a II, did anything change in your portal? The portal says that a new tab should appear when you receive a II but nothing has changed in my portal. With how often it seems that med schools mistakenly send out acceptances and whatnot to people and then have to retract them, I am naturally a little worried.

Quick question, for those who have received a II, did anything change in your portal? The portal says that a new tab should appear when you receive a II but nothing has changed in my portal. With how often it seems that med schools mistakenly send out acceptances and whatnot to people and then have to retract them, I am naturally a little worried.
I think it's definitely more an issue on the portal rather than you getting a mistake interview. If you're at least getting emails from them with confirmation dates and times, I would take that as a good sign.

Black (Afro-Caribbean), Mexican
state of residence: IN, strong ties to AZ as well
sGPA: 3.2
cGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 507
two Honors Bachelors degrees (Health and Human Biology, Latin American and Caribbean Studies)
Ivy undergrad
NCAA Division I Athlete (1x Ivy League Champion, 2x Senior Captain)
Non-traditional
current graduate student @ U of Pennsylvania, Bioethics Masters Degree
1000+ research hours
400 clinical hours
400 volunteer hours (mainly sports and academic related)

Posting so I get notifications.
To get notifications on a thread, @docsnkrs go to the top of the thread and click “watch”

Reactions: 2 users