2021-2022 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary:
For (3.1) here are the more specific instructions; Please list each course you have taken, or are projected to take, in an online environment. We recognize that online courses are evolving and there are several different formats for delivering course content as well as exams. We also understand that there are many variations and we will allow you to use your best judgement with use of the codes we have developed. Our purpose is to gain understanding and in so doing, provide latitude for your answer so as not to be judgmental or punitive in selection of the code. We ask that you provide your answer in a string of 5 fields of information. (1) The first field of your answer will help us understand course content delivery and examinations. Please start a line with: ALL, if all course content was delivered online and exams were also completed online; start a line with TST, if all course content was delivered online and exams were proctored at a test facility or school; or start a line with CLS, if course content was delivered online, required in-class instruction at least three times and exams were proctored either in-class or in a university testing center. (2) Next, an abbreviated school name (e.g. UCF). (3) The course prefix and number (e.g. BIOL101). (4) The abbreviated course title (e.g. General Biology 1). (5) The credit/semester hours for the course (3.0). Here is an example of what your entry should look like: ALL, UCF, BIOL101, General Biology 1, 3.0. Finally, you many add a short comment at the end if there is something that you feel is important for us to know by way of explanation. This would include any courses that were transitioned to online because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-upper-quartile board scores and research, as well as the state's strongest match lists in the upper echelon specialties (18%) with placements at top residencies across the U.S. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country (~40 of 120 seats for non-Floridians), our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty.

The 7,000 acre Lake Nona Medical City continues to expand rapidly with housing, retail, the opening of our own Lake Nona Hospital adjacent to the COM. We have joined with Sarah Cannon Cancer to open our own UCF Cancer Research Institute adjacent to the UCF Hospital. We will continue to partner our clinical training with approximately 20 hospitals in the general Central Florida vicinity as well as opportunities in Jacksonville, St Petersburg, Naples, Ocala, and Gainesville. Merge this with the newer Lake Nona VA Hospital, the amazing Nemours Children's Hospital, and the National VA SimLearn Center for Simulation, the Rosen School for Hospitality, the massive USTA HQ tennis complex, and the Lake Nona Human Performance Institute we have all partnered to raise the bar with simulation, nutrition, and Health and Wellness. Finally we have created and filled approximately 550 of 620 residency positions in what is one of the largest academic M.D. Graduate Medical Education programs in Florida.

The UCF COM won the AAMC award for best Student Affairs Career Advising and Wellness Program in 2016. UCF is also the 7th least expensive M.D. program in the nation (the only Florida program in the top 25) according to StudentLoanHero.

We look forward to partnering with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year.

Please visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions for additional information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-upper-quartile board scores and research, as well as the state's strongest match lists in the upper echelon specialties (18%) with placements at top residencies across the U.S. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country (~40 of 120 seats for non-Floridians), our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty.

The 7,000 acre Lake Nona Medical City continues to expand rapidly with housing, retail, opened our own Lake Nona Hospital adjacent to the COM. We have joined with Sarah Cannon Cancer to open our own UCF Cancer Research Institute adjacent to the UCF Hospital. We will continue to partner our clinical training with approximately 20 hospitals in the general Central Florida vicinity as well as opportunities in Jacksonville, St Petersburg, Naples, Ocala, and Gainesville. Merge this with the newer Lake Nona VA Hospital, the amazing Nemours Children's Hospital, and the National VA SimLearn Center for Simulation, the Rosen School for Hospitality, the massive USTA HQ tennis complex, and the Lake Nona Human Performance Institute we have all partnered to raise the bar with simulation, nutrition, and Health and Wellness. Finally we have created and filled approximately 550 of 620 residency positions in what is one of the largest academic M.D. Graduate Medical Education programs in Florida.

The UCF COM won the AAMC award for best Student Affairs Career Advising and Wellness Program in 2016. UCF is also the 7th least expensive M.D. program in the nation (the only Florida program in the top 25) according to StudentLoanHero.

We look forward to partnering with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year.

Please visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions for additional information.
Could you share if UCF COM has a way for an OOS student to claim Florida residency at some point during med school to make it more affordable for OOS? I know you have mentioned that there are sometimes scholarships available, is there a way to know how much that averages and if OOS students often receive them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you share if UCF COM has a way for an OOS student to claim Florida residency at some point during med school to make it more affordable for OOS? I know you have mentioned that there are sometimes scholarships available, is there a way to know how much that averages and if OOS students often receive them?
Once you begin a degree as a non Rez you will remain a non Rez for the duration for tuition purposes unless you marry a FL Rez. You can obtain FL Rez during your enrollment, but it will not count for "tuition purposes."

I concur, in essence with what KnighDoc provided. This is per state statute. I will say that to date all those who have been accepted have received some amount of gift annual gift aid through each of their four years in the program. Presumably that will continue through this next entering (2022) as well. We understand that cost is a factor and we try to assist as much as we can to keep your debt as low as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Like in the past, I want this thread to be one of collegiality and accurate information. You will be exposed to lots of inaccurate information and and self-pronounced "experts" who may not always be on target. I believe that appliants deserve to have the most accurate information possible so that you will be fully prepared to make the best decision for yourself when it comes to to select a medical program. Do not let yourself be shanghai'd into a decision by a med school without knowing all of the rules. Please ask if you need something.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just about everyone should have their own secondary by now if your AMCAS app has been verified. We have pushed about about 1.3k 2nds since yesterday.
Right! The reason they typically ask is because they haven't been verified yet and want to get a head start! (Or, maybe, because they are shopping to decide whether to submit!) :)

If I am waiting on a new MCAT score, should I wait on sending my primary to UCF?

If I am waiting on a new MCAT score, should I wait on sending my primary to UCF?
That's the general advice. What advantage is there to applying without knowing your score?

I get wanting to be early, but, if you tell them another score is coming, they are likely to put your application aside until the new score arrives. As a result, you have nothing but downside in the event you aren't happy with your score, with no corresponding upside since you won't be reviewed any earlier than if you waited to submit. You should just prewrite the secondaries to put yourself in position to move ASAP once you have your score.

Just about everyone should have their own secondary by now if your AMCAS app has been verified. We have pushed about about 1.3k 2nds since yesterday.
My AMCAS has not been verified yet, was just looking to get a headstart on secondaries!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I wrote my UCF essay in accordance with the guidelines, no more than 2 pages with 12-pt Times New Roman font. However, when I try pasting it into the text, it says the maximum character limit is 3500. What should I do? I already wrote the two pages. Do I need to cut it down? Does the 2 page limit not apply anymore? @REL

Hi,

I wrote my UCF essay in accordance with the guidelines, no more than 2 pages with 12-pt Times New Roman font. However, when I try pasting it into the text, it says the maximum character limit is 3500. What should I do? I already wrote the two pages. Do I need to cut it down? Does the 2 page limit not apply anymore? @REL
Let me see if we have changed something here. Stay tuned.

According to many searches 3500 characters appears to equal 2 pages, nonetheless, we have increased that space to 4000 characters. Please let us know if you still have problems. Not sure where you are seeing the instructions regarding 2 pages and 12 pont font so please help me locate that information.

@REL UCF alum here and really excited to start my app! I had a quick question about one of my clinical experiences. Would being a clinical research assistant count as a clinical experience? I've had direct patient contact such as drawing blood, administering treatment, and taking vitals but I know some schools don't consider clinical research as clinical experience.

@REL UCF alum here and really excited to start my app! I had a quick question about one of my clinical experiences. Would being a clinical research assistant count as a clinical experience? I've had direct patient contact such as drawing blood, administering treatment, and taking vitals but I know some schools don't consider clinical research as clinical experience.
These activities are likely performed in areas where nurses, other med techs, and maybe PA's are predominant. And yes these are "patients" but this is not typically performed where physicians are predominant. If paid it would not be medical volunteering. If physicians were predominant I would likely consider it more likely shadowing based on information in the description. If physicans were not predominant I might consider it more teamwork/leadership, or community voluteering (if not paid) but this would all have to be interpreted based heavily upon the description provided. Drawing blood, taking vitals, and administering treatment can all be accomplished without a physician being present. It is an area that can be interpreted differently by different reviewers.

According to many searches 3500 characters appears to equal 2 pages, nonetheless, we have increased that space to 4000 characters. Please let us know if you still have problems. Not sure where you are seeing the instructions regarding 2 pages and 12 pont font so please help me locate that information.
We have found where 2 pgs, 12pt are in the instructions. No need to respond.

These activities are likely performed in areas where nurses, other med techs, and maybe PA's are predominant. And yes these are "patients" but this is not typically performed where physicians are predominant. If paid it would not be medical volunteering. If physicians were predominant I would likely consider it more likely shadowing based on information in the description. If physicans were not predominant I might consider it more teamwork/leadership, or community voluteering (if not paid) but this would all have to be interpreted based heavily upon the description provided. Drawing blood, taking vitals, and administering treatment can all be accomplished without a physician being present. It is an area that can be interpreted differently by different reviewers.
Thank you for your input! I am under the direct supervision of physicians since they are the principal investigators for the studies and I'll keep what you said in mind when writing my essays.

It said it on the supplemental application when I checked last night that it is 2 pages single spaced 12 point font so that's why I was asking; I just saw that you addressed this part above. I also saw that it changed to 4000 characters and that the 2 page part was taken out. I really appreciate you checking and thank you so much for doing that! However, I believe 2 page single spaced is over 5000 characters because my personal statement was 5300 characters Times New Roman single-spaced 12 point font with 1-inch margins and that was approximately 1.5 pages. If the limit will stay at 4000, then no worries, I'll try my best to shorten it!

It said it on the supplemental application when I checked last night that it is 2 pages single spaced 12 point font so that's why I was asking; I just saw that you addressed this part above. I also saw that it changed to 4000 characters and that the 2 page part was taken out. I really appreciate you checking and thank you so much for doing that! However, I believe 2 page single spaced is over 5000 characters because my personal statement was 5300 characters Times New Roman single-spaced 12 point font with 1-inch margins and that was approximately 1.5 pages. If the limit will stay at 4000, then no worries, I'll try my best to shorten it!
Let me ck on this one more time.

Let me ck on this one more time.
This is a maximun. It appears that in the past the admissions committee has wanted the essay cut down to a more pertinent and salient essay. A well-writtten 3/4 page or page and a half, about 4k characters was their goal. So that is were our maximum will remain.

This is a maximun. It appears that in the past the admissions committee has wanted the essay cut down to a more pertinent and salient essay. A well-writtten 3/4 page or page and a half, about 4k characters was their goal. So that is were our maximum will remain.
Thank you so much for all the help and for letting me know! Really appreciate it.

I am having trouble formatting my long essay. It shows that I have made paragraphs in my application but when I preview the application as a PDF the paragraphs are no longer present and it appears as one body of text. Do you know how I can fix this?

I am having trouble formatting my long essay. It shows that I have made paragraphs in my application but when I preview the application as a PDF the paragraphs are no longer present and it appears as one body of text. Do you know how I can fix this?
Sometimes this occurs when you use a different word processor. It shows without formatting when in fact it displays to us as you intended it. I do not recall which word processing system it is but will try to get the answer on Tuesday. Alternatively, you are welcome to email us at [email protected] and we can check to see if it renders differently to us.

I have accidentally submitted 6 letters of recommendation to this school rather than the 5 maximum. Is this going to have negative effects on my admission? Should I reach out to the adcom or not draw attention to it?

I have accidentally submitted 6 letters of recommendation to this school rather than the 5 maximum. Is this going to have negative effects on my admission? Should I reach out to the adcom or not draw attention to it?
Shudnt be a problem.

Sometimes this occurs when you use a different word processor. It shows without formatting when in fact it displays to us as you intended it. I do not recall which word processing system it is but will try to get the answer on Tuesday. Alternatively, you are welcome to email us at [email protected] and we can check to see if it renders differently to us.
I had the same problem with formatting changes, mostly with spaces between paragraphs disappearing. When I generated a PDF preview of my final UCF app before submission, some of the responses, including the final essay, did not maintain the format of my Google doc or the apparent format of the responses within the application after copying and pasting.

I downloaded my Google doc, opened it on Word desktop, pasted the Word versions of the prompts into the UCF app, generated a new PDF preview and the format is maintained!! Hope that helps if you haven't resolved this.

@sekmed123 - I don't know how to reply to >1 person, so wanted to tag you! :)

I had the same problem with formatting changes, mostly with spaces between paragraphs disappearing. When I generated a PDF preview of my final UCF app before submission, some of the responses, including the final essay, did not maintain the format of my Google doc or the apparent format of the responses within the application after copying and pasting.

I downloaded my Google doc, opened it on Word desktop, pasted the Word versions of the prompts into the UCF app, generated a new PDF preview and the format is maintained!! Hope that helps if you haven't resolved this.

@sekmed123 - I don't know how to reply to >1 person, so wanted to tag you! :)
Thank you!!!

Does anyone know if the essay question is 4000 characters with or without spaces? Also, the text box fits in way more characters than 4000 so I am confused

Can someone be kind to post the secondary questions here?

Can someone be kind to post the secondary questions here?
Boom!
Responses should be limited to a maximum of 500 characters for each response.
(3.1) Please list each course you have taken, or are projected to take, in an online environment

(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.

(7) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time.

(8.1) In this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B minus," or course withdrawals.

9) Please let us know, by way of a percentage, how you prepared yourself for the MCAT examination using the following three (3) methods. Your response should add up to 100%.(1) A commercial test preparation service (Kaplan/Princeton Review, etc.); (2) A review course created by an undergraduate institution; (3) Self-study with books and or online resources (Khan Academy, AAMC, etc.).*Your answer should look something like: 30/30/40 = 100%

Responses should be limited to a maximum of 750 characters for each response.
If you encounter an issue pasting from a Word document into the application try pasting the text in plain text.
* Required Item
* (13) What breakthrough in clinical or research medicine would you like to see occur within the span of your career in medicine? Why?
Format

* (14) The complexity of healthcare delivery increasingly requires interdisciplinary teamwork. What lessons have you learned from sports, music, business or other experiences have prepared you to succeed in this environment?
Format

* (15) What profession would you choose other than a medical doctor? Explain why.

* (16) Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the COVID-19 public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; academic or personal hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine, etc. In what ways have you grown from these experiences?

* (17) Please share with the Admissions Committee why you are specifically interested in UCF COM.

(18) Were you required to work during your college years?
(18.1) In this space, provide a brief description of why employment was necessary. Also include an estimated hours per week that you were required to work.

* (19) Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (4000 Characters)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
has anyone's status changed yet from "Secondary email sent?"

Edit: submitted yesterday and got the complete email today - status is now that my file is ready for review!

Last edited:
Boom!
Responses should be limited to a maximum of 500 characters for each response.
(3.1) Please list each course you have taken, or are projected to take, in an online environment

(5) If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida.

(7) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time.

(8.1) In this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B minus," or course withdrawals.

(9) Please let us know, by way of a percentage, how you prepared yourself for the MCAT examination using the following three (3) methods. Your response should add up to 100%.(1) A commercial test preparation service (Kaplan/Princeton Review, etc.); (2) A review course created by an undergraduate institution; (3) Self-study with books and or online resources (Khan Academy, AAMC, etc.).*Your answer should look something like: 30/30/40 = 100%

Responses should be limited to a maximum of 750 characters for each response.
If you encounter an issue pasting from a Word document into the application try pasting the text in plain text.
* Required Item
* (13) What breakthrough in clinical or research medicine would you like to see occur within the span of your career in medicine? Why?
Format

* (14) The complexity of healthcare delivery increasingly requires interdisciplinary teamwork. What lessons have you learned from sports, music, business or other experiences have prepared you to succeed in this environment?
Format

* (15) What profession would you choose other than a medical doctor? Explain why.

* (16) Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the COVID-19 public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; academic or personal hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine, etc. In what ways have you grown from these experiences?

* (17) Please share with the Admissions Committee why you are specifically interested in UCF COM.

(18) Were you required to work during your college years?
(18.1) In this space, provide a brief description of why employment was necessary. Also include an estimated hours per week that you were required to work.

* (19) Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (4000 Characters)
@PapaGuava Here are the secondary essays for UCF! Thank you so much @lohengramm for posting!

For (3.1) here are the more specific instructions; Please list each course you have taken, or are projected to take, in an online environment. We recognize that online courses are evolving and there are several different formats for delivering course content as well as exams. We also understand that there are many variations and we will allow you to use your best judgement with use of the codes we have developed. Our purpose is to gain understanding and in so doing, provide latitude for your answer so as not to be judgmental or punitive in selection of the code. We ask that you provide your answer in a string of 5 fields of information. (1) The first field of your answer will help us understand course content delivery and examinations. Please start a line with: ALL, if all course content was delivered online and exams were also completed online; start a line with TST, if all course content was delivered online and exams were proctored at a test facility or school; or start a line with CLS, if course content was delivered online, required in-class instruction at least three times and exams were proctored either in-class or in a university testing center. (2) Next, an abbreviated school name (e.g. UCF). (3) The course prefix and number (e.g. BIOL101). (4) The abbreviated course title (e.g. General Biology 1). (5) The credit/semester hours for the course (3.0). Here is an example of what your entry should look like: ALL, UCF, BIOL101, General Biology 1, 3.0. Finally, you many add a short comment at the end if there is something that you feel is important for us to know by way of explanation. This would include any courses that were transitioned to online because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Did yalls portal change from ready for review before it said this? Mine still says ready for review
Yes, it was on ready for review and then changed to "AORTA- Eligible for Interview"

Hey everyone! Just wanted to post on here. I am a current M3 here at UCF on rotations right now! I have experienced both the pre-covid school environment (M1 year) and COVID environment (M2 year) so please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the school, student culture, rotations, etc. I am more than happy to address anything. I will do my best to respond to your messages quickly, but forgive me as I am on rotations :)

Best of luck with the upcoming application cycle!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to post on here. I am a current M3 here at UCF on rotations right now! I have experienced both the pre-covid school environment (M1 year) and COVID environment (M2 year) so please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the school, student culture, rotations, etc. I am more than happy to address anything. I will do my best to respond to your messages quickly, but forgive me as I am on rotations :)

Best of luck with the upcoming application cycle!
Thanks for the generous offer! Can you speak to the impact the loss of Advent and Orlando Health are having on rotations? Are you happy with how things are working out for you? Is the new hospital having a big impact?

When Advent and Orlando Health first dropped out, people were reporting that they were being assigned to HCA community hospitals, and that the training leaves something to be desired. Has this been addressed since it first happened, or is it still a thing people are complaining about?

for those who's status changed to AORTA, can you say when you were completed if you don't mind.

Reactions: 1 users