2021-2022 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current 3rd year who just took COMLEX and started rotations. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they are requiring a DO Lor?

Members don't see this ad :)
No secondary either, I was a bit worried because last year they were sending the secondary out early July.

Edit: Someone posted last year it looked like secondary apps were released on Wednesday's.

From what it seems secondaries get released in waves on wednesdays! I saw someone get on 7/8, I got mine on 7/15, and saw another on 7/22!

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?
3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you respond?
4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?
5. How many hours per week are you willing to study in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? Enter a number. Optional brief comments about your study habit
6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.
7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

1626196895053.png

1626196923736.png

1626196983294.png

Source: WVSOM Supplement Application Step 1

Reactions: 1 user
It is required this cycle!
Well looks like I saved myself some money than. On their site they say they only send a secondary if you have the required stuff along with your primary, but i dont have a DO letter of rec and they still invited me for their secondary. Seems like it would be a waste of money without the DO letter right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well looks like I saved myself some money than. On their site they say they only send a secondary if you have the required stuff along with your primary, but i dont have a DO letter of rec and they still invited me for their secondary. Seems like it would be a waste of money without the DO letter right?

This is the response I received when I inquired.
Thank you for your interest in WVSOM!

We wouldn’t be able to review your application until we receive a DO letter on your behalf.

I am currently shadowing a DO who is writing a LOR for me so I went ahead and applied as I will be able to submit it once I receive it. However, if you are not going to be able to get one this cycle I would not waste the money because you’d probably be on hold awaiting the lor

Yeah, I wouldn't if you don't have a DO letter. WVSOM is huge on keeping the osteopathic philosophy alive and distinct from allopathic so that's probably the reason for the requirement

Received secondary yesterday, submitted early this morning.

Any current WVSOM students here that could tell me about the school?

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?
3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you respond?
4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?
5. How many hours per week are you willing to study in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? Enter a number. Optional brief comments about your study habit
6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.
7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

View attachment 340428

View attachment 340429

View attachment 340430

Source: WVSOM Supplement Application Step 1

Was there a character count/limit for secondary responses? If so, how many characters.

Submitted AACOMAS on July 1st and was verified a few days later. Still have not received a secondary application. In state. :(

Submitted AACOMAS on July 1st and was verified a few days later. Still have not received a secondary application. In state. :(
I submitted mine and got a secondary within a couple days. Just checking do you meet their initial screening requirements?

dont worry, i submitted mine june 18 and just received secondaries 2 days ago, OOS

Does anybody know if they screen you before you receive the secondary invite? I'm below a 3.2sGPA but got past the screen apparently? Unless they take my 508 MCAT into account to balance it out...

Does anybody know if they screen you before you receive the secondary invite? I'm below a 3.2sGPA but got past the screen apparently? Unless they take my 508 MCAT into account to balance it out...
True it does say they screen you at 3.2 sGPA on the website. Well, I guess you shouldn't question it too much. I have no idea, maybe it was your MCAT that helped?

I'm a current 3rd year who just took COMLEX and started rotations. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has!
Gonna bump this since there's a lot more activity here now

How would you say is the culture among the students?
The culture among the students is one of the best parts of the school. The environment is so communal, it’s not us against each other at all. We help each other out. It’s definitely a great community which I think is essential. During orientation the president literally told us “this isn’t a place where we do that ‘look to your right and your left, one of you won’t be here at graduation’. We say ‘we want all of us to be here at graduation’.” And I really liked that. We're all in this together, and we for the most part all have that philosophy.

Reactions: 3 users
The culture among the students is one of the best parts of the school. The environment is so communal, it’s not us against each other at all. We help each other out. It’s definitely a great community which I think is essential. During orientation the president literally told us “this isn’t a place where we do that ‘look to your right and your left, one of you won’t be here at graduation’. We say ‘we want all of us to be here at graduation’.” And I really liked that. We're all in this together, and we for the most part all have that philosophy.

Very touching. Makes me like the school a lot :) Thank you!

I am retaking the MCAT soon and applied to just one school for verification. Should I apply to more schools now or wait until I receive the MCAT score? Does anyone know the screening process for this school?

What does everyone's applicant status say? Mine says "Application under review" even though my LOR didn't come in yet.

How is the school/area in terms of students who are lgbtq?
Awesome! Definitely another one of the strengths of the school is the diversity of all types. Lewisburg actually just had its first ever Pride parade this year! A very good number of my classmates belong to the LGBTQ+ community. The town and school are very progressive, but you do have to remember it's WV, so you're always going to have some idiotic people who are stuck in 1950.

Reactions: 1 users
Do we need a professional headshot for our secondary application? I don't see any place for where it asks. Thanks

Anyone have information regarding their screen? <3.2 sGPA with 508 MCAT. Received a secondary week or so ago.

Has anyone else had a heck of a time logging into the secondary portal? The login will not accept the credentials they sent me in the invite email.

Heart dropped today after seeing the denial from last cycle. Looks like we have officially moved to 2021-2022!

Thank you for your interest in the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine and submitting your application materials. Upon initial review, your science GPA score is below WVSOM’s competitive level. Enrollment in additional science coursework is recommended to improve your science GPA.

Please make sure to submit updated transcripts for any coursework through AACOMAS. You may submit academic updates during the following periods:

December 15, 2021 – February 16, 2022
March 14, 2022 – April 11, 2022

just received this email.....is this a rejection?