2022-2023 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when NYIT starts sending out secondaries?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received, OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary prompts are same as last year:
1. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)
2. NYITCOM values diversity, equity, and inclusion. How will your background and experiences add to our inclusive culture and how will this focus influence your future role as a physician? (Max. 1000 characters)
3. Describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it. (Max. 1000 characters)
4. Describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)
5. Have you previously applied to NYITCOM? If yes, what specific steps have you taken to strengthen your credentials for the current application year? (Max. 1000 characters)
6. How and where did you learn about NYITCOM? (Max. 250 characters)

Members don't see this ad :)
After we get the paypal email, we are good right?
I got the payment receipt, but I was not redirected back to the secondary as the instructions mentioned. When I log back into the secondary portal, it takes me back to the Review step.

I got the payment receipt, but I was not redirected back to the secondary as the instructions mentioned. When I log back into the secondary portal, it takes me back to the Review step.
Me too. I hate the portal but I think we're fine. I wish there was a menu or something but all you can hit is the back button lmao

Reactions: 2 users
Me too. I hate the portal but I think we're fine. I wish there was a menu or something but all you can hit is the back button lmao
Yeah, I hit the back button as well. It took me right back that Review step with our our picture and answers to the questions. I think we are good since it says that the receipt email is the first proof that our secondary is complete.

Yeah, I hit the back button as well. It took me right back that Review step with our our picture and answers to the questions. I think we are good since it says that the receipt email is the first proof that our secondary is complete.
This is what I’m going off of as well

Actually mine was in the JUNK folder and found it this PM (came around 9:10AM)

2° submitted!
Did you also hit the back button on your browser after submitting payment and getting receipt email?

The instructions said that after payment we will be redirected back to the secondary portal. But it never happened, so I hit the back button and it took me back to the review screen with our picture and answers to questions.

Does anyone know if there is one secondary for both Long Island and Jonesboro?

Did you also hit the back button on your browser after submitting payment and getting receipt email?

The instructions said that after payment we will be redirected back to the secondary portal. But it never happened, so I hit the back button and it took me back to the review screen with our picture and answers to questions.
Yeah I did.

Does anyone know if NYIT COM or other schools offer interviews before receiving secondaries? I just got the secondary email yesterday, but my score won't be in till the end of next month.

Does anyone know if NYIT COM or other schools offer interviews before receiving secondaries? I just got the secondary email yesterday, but my score won't be in till the end of next month.
No one gets interviews before their app is completed anywhere.

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary prompts are same as last year:
1. Briefly describe the reasons for your campus/site choice and comment on one or two factors that are most important to you in choosing where you wish to pursue your medical education. (Max. 1000 characters)
2. NYITCOM values diversity, equity, and inclusion. How will your background and experiences add to our inclusive culture and how will this focus influence your future role as a physician? (Max. 1000 characters)
3. Describe a challenge you’ve faced and the steps you took to overcome it. (Max. 1000 characters)
4. Describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)
5. Have you previously applied to NYITCOM? If yes, what specific steps have you taken to strengthen your credentials for the current application year? (Max. 1000 characters)
6. How and where did you learn about NYITCOM? (Max. 250 characters)

i just submitted my app yesterday don’t even think i’m verified yet and they sent me a secondary already

Im trying to decide what campus to choose. I was looking at housing in NY. and it is crazy-expensive. I guess I should have known that.

After submission, it did not take me to the payment page. But when I log back in again, it takes me to the payment page. The same happened with y'all?

After submission, it did not take me to the payment page. But when I log back in again, it takes me to the payment page. The same happened with y'all?
Yes. As long as you get the receipt email, you are good. NYIT will send a supplemental submission conformation email in a few days.

Just submitted my secondary. Although I chose the NY campus, I said that I would be willing to go to the other one.
With this one done, I am officially halfway done with my secondaries.

what do they mean a passport style photo? i have a headshot that has like blurry trees in background. is that "too much"? will they care?

what do they mean a passport style photo? i have a headshot that has like blurry trees in background. is that "too much"? will they care?
I just edited a picture of me wearing a suit into a 2x2 inch size. When you are about to submit it shows your picture and your answer for the prompt. I think it gives adcoms a face to put to your prompt responses.

Reactions: 2 users
Im trying to decide what campus to choose. I was looking at housing in NY. and it is crazy-expensive. I guess I should have
Im a second year med student at the OW campus, most of us split houses with 2 other students and pay between 800 and 1000 each for rent. So it end up not being that bad, but you dont truly have your own place, which has its benefits and drawbacks

Im a second year who submitted a selfie for that because i didnt read and it all still worked out

Im a second year med student at the OW campus, most of us split houses with 2 other students and pay between 800 and 1000 each for rent. So it end up not being that bad, but you dont truly have your own place, which has its benefits and drawbacks
Thank you for the suggestion. I live with my wife and dog so can't really do that. I shouldn't complain though since my wife would be working to help pay for rent.
How do you like the city? and the ambiance of the school?

Submitted secondary for the OW campus. Good luck everyone!

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone knows whether NYITCOM accepts the AACOMAS fee waiver for the secondary?

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone knows whether NYITCOM accepts the AACOMAS fee waiver for the secondary?
Yes. If you were granted a fee waiver, send the email to their admissions email. They will give you a waiver in the form of a code, in which you enter the code in the fee portion of the secondary.

Y'all I am STRUGGLING with this question:

Describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)

What did y'all do? I do have a genuine interest and mission to work in medically underserved areas, and I know I want specialty I want to go into. But like I CANNOT think of what else to say besides a dry, bland sentence stating just that. Any time I try to be interesting with a story it just feels like I'm rambling.

heeelp

Y'all I am STRUGGLING with this question:

Describe the community in which you see yourself practicing medicine. (Max. 1000 characters)

What did y'all do? I do have a genuine interest and mission to work in medically underserved areas, and I know I want specialty I want to go into. But like I CANNOT think of what else to say besides a dry, bland sentence stating just that. Any time I try to be interesting with a story it just feels like I'm rambling.

heeelp
Stated my true intentions - my hometown which is a MUA. Describe urban vs rural, region of country, MUA status, and your why. I used up the 1000 characters pretty fast by just answering these.

Stated my true intentions - my hometown which is a MUA. Describe urban vs rural, region of country, MUA status, and your why. I used up the 1000 characters pretty fast by just answering these.
Problem is I talk about location a ton in my why NYIT-COM essay so anything more about MUA would be just.. redundant. ughhhh. I've been fighting with this essay for like 5 days now it's stumping me. Maybe I'll just take the L and only submit a really short one here.