2022-2023 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this a good school? What are peoples reasons for this being your top choice I’m trying to decide
NYITCOM also had some legal troubles recently. Take that as you will.

Members don't see this ad.

are any of you all preparing for anatomy before school starts? ive never learned anatomy? what should i use to study?
also do any current students use textbooks in addition to the lectures and stuff provided by teachers? Im pretty old fashioned and learn well from tectbooks and videos. i feel underprepared by undergrad

are any of you all preparing for anatomy before school starts? ive never learned anatomy? what should i use to study?
also do any current students use textbooks in addition to the lectures and stuff provided by teachers? Im pretty old fashioned and learn well from tectbooks and videos. i feel underprepared by undergrad
Use gray’s anatomy, netter’s (both in school library), and coloring books. Not sure if it’s still the case but the school gave us a subscription to the complete anatomy app which I found helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I have received lots of private IMs. I am going to share what I feel
Pros:
Located near metro (I have been told by many always try to pick a school close to a major city like NY/CHI/...).
Excellent Residency match rates
Pass/Fail grading (less stressful than conventional grading)
No need to go to campus for in-person class (Everything is on-demand at your convenience)
Ph.D pathway (important for me if I wanted)

Cons:
Rotation spots (Look here 2021-2022 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM) ). Can some one knowledgeable about NYITCOM rotation comment on this?
The person giving the lecture may not be the same person whom you might see when you go in person to meet.
class size (295 is a lot)

Reactions: 3 users
Since I have received lots of private IMs. I am going to share what I feel
Pros:
Located near metro (I have been told by many always try to pick a school close to a major city like NY/CHI/...).
Excellent Residency match rates
Pass/Fail grading (less stressful than conventional grading)
No need to go to campus for in-person class (Everything is on-demand at your convenience)
Ph.D pathway (important for me if I wanted)

Cons:
Rotation spots (Look here 2021-2022 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM) ). Can some one knowledgeable about NYITCOM rotation comment on this?
The person giving the lecture may not be the same person whom you might see when you go in person to meet.
class size (295 is a lot)
On the cons:
1. Yeah there are a lot of new medical schools/ hospital buyouts in the area that have negatively affected rotation spots. If you're applying IM, FM EM, or Psych (which combine for well over half the class) it's not too bad (compared to other DO schools) since the school has many community, but not really too many university, rotations. I'm applying to peds and it has been a bit annoying since pediatric hospitals tend to be connected to large universities and NYITCOM's options aren't the best. With that said, I still managed to get some nice, not NYP nice but still nice, rotations through VSLO (away rotations). Worth mentioning, NYU LI (Winthrop) only accepts VSLO applications from USMD and NYITCOM students (NO IMG/FMG/other DOs) and it's not a massive powerhouse academic hospital so not that many USMDs even apply. So a lot of us still do rotations there due to the decreased competition for spots but you still have to apply for them, the school doesn't get them for you.
2. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this one. Lectures are prerecorded and posted online. The person giving the lecture is the one that writes the exam questions from the lecture. They have office hours when you can meet with them but outside of that, I don't what you mean by "when you go in person to meet". My experience might be different since it was during the heart of COVID and the campus was locked down except for labs.
3. Yep it's a big class size, probably bigger than that.

Overall, If you have a USMD acceptance take it over NYITCOM unless there are some weird extenuating circumstances. From what I've heard from students at other DO schools, NYITCOM has it better than most, not all, but most. Problems with rotations are becoming universal for DO schools, especially the newer ones. NYITCOM has the added difficulty since many Caribbean schools send their students to the NYC area for rotations.

In case anyone hasn't seen the most recent match:

Reactions: 5 users
It appears Touro students have to find their own rotations for 3rd and 4th yr (Thanks to Esther97 ). So they would NOT come in the way of NYITCOM rotations.

Last edited:
Is WL movement over for this school? It barely moved this cycle 😮
spoke with admissions yesterday- they said they are expecting movement at the end of June early July. This year was unexpected with slow WL movement but she did say there will be some updates coming soon.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many resources posted on the class of 2027 discord server! Complete Anatomy is an app that is given for free by the school. Grant’s Dissector is what the school uses for dissections as well as images of cadavers from Net Anatomy which is an online website.

Discord Link: Join the NYITCOM Class of 2027 Discord Server!

Got off the WL yesterday but will not be accepting. Hopefully it goes to one of you!

spoke with admissions yesterday- they said they are expecting movement at the end of June early July. This year was unexpected with slow WL movement but she did say there will be some updates coming soon.
Ngl it’s a blessing in disguise

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
Yea for sure! Let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you man 😁👍Purcell v. N.Y. Institute of Technology - College of Osteopathic Medicine, No. 18-2859 (2d Cir. 2019)
1. If the statements about about the homophobic comments are true then shame on NYITCOM staff. That is unexcusable.
2. I did want to say the student failed 3 clerkships (which is alot) and was dismissed. I think everyone knows that if you fail 3 core rotations you WILL be called into a meeting. Not because the school hates you but because they need you to pass your rotation and match somewhere. He wasnt kicked out because of his sexual orientation (Although the alleged comments were inappropriate), he was kicked out because he failed 3 times. There are safegaurds in place for medical students to retake exams, meet with advisors. This is unfortunate. From what I understood, the student was going through a mental health crisis without seeking treatment, they did poorly on rotations, school met and dismissed them, he was later reinstated.

For all future students, your mental health is a priority esp in medical school. Take care of yourselves and if needed seek help and resources Help for Mental Illnesses

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Yea for sure! Let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you man 😁👍Purcell v. N.Y. Institute of Technology - College of Osteopathic Medicine, No. 18-2859 (2d Cir. 2019)
NYITCOM definitely has some faults as does any other medical school but the majority of the faculty that this case describes is no longer at NYITCOM. We have a completely different head dean. Our two current main deans in fact are openly gay. This is also not a recent case as the former student was supposed to have graduated in 2013 which was 10 years ago. The program has changed a lot in 10 years, thus you should not use this case as a basis of the current state of the program.

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly, There are lawsuits against almost every school. All you have to do is to google. So, Trying to cite a lawsuit that is more than 10 years old cannot be a criteria for choosing a medical school now.

Reactions: 2 users
Just gave up my spot but was accepted this Wednesday! So don’t lose hope. There is still movement!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got acceptance email at 1. 45 pm...thanks to all of those who gave up their seat and waitlisters don't give up hope

Reactions: 2 users
I withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone on the WL!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an acceptance to NYITCOM this afternoon. I'm flattered but also equally bummed because they were my first choice, but I have already invested so much financially (matriculation deposit, housing, etc) into another program that accepted me first. I pursued NYIT so much early on (letter of intent, alumnus recommendation, etc) but unfortunately they were too late and I couldn't personally run the risk of rescinding my other acceptance while I waited on them. After some thought (and some resistance lol) I will be withdrawing my acceptance. :') I think it's for the best. Hoping it goes to one of you! Good luck everyone!!

I just got an acceptance to NYITCOM this afternoon. I'm flattered but also equally bummed because they were my first choice, but I have already invested so much financially (matriculation deposit, housing, etc) into another program that accepted me first. I pursued NYIT so much early on (letter of intent, alumnus recommendation, etc) but unfortunately they were too late and I couldn't personally run the risk of rescinding my other acceptance while I waited on them. After some thought (and some resistance lol) I will be withdrawing my acceptance. :') I think it's for the best. Hoping it goes to one of you! Good luck everyone!!
I hate that schools do this. There should be a date in April when classes are finalized. Generally speaking, my own personal opinion if anyone is in this position: med school is 4 years of your life and likely $240,000+ with interest. I wouldn't make a decision based on not wanting to lose a $1,500 deposit. Go to the school that is better for you and your career goals. Best of luck wherever you go, future doctor!

Honestly cannot blame you. If I were in your position, I would do the same thing. Good luck, future doc!

Does anyone know the acceptance rate at NYITCOM or the post interview acceptance rate?

Received an acceptance email yesterday after being waitlisted since February; however I have already committed to my top choice for medical school, so I declined their offer. Hoping it goes to one of you guys, don't lose hope whoever is on the waitlist and good luck!

Hey guys since I just got accepted so late in the game, I was wondering how does paying the tuition bill work? How soon do the loans kick in after the fafsa is processed by nyitcom?

accepted!

Congratulations!! When is the first day of classes? Thankfully I’ve been accepted to another school but I want to know when I could stop thinking about what I’m gonna do if NYITCOM decides to accept me

Congratulations!! When is the first day of classes? Thankfully I’ve been accepted to another school but I want to know when I could stop thinking about what I’m gonna do if NYITCOM decides to accept me
Thank you!! however, I decided to drop the seat (so who knows maybe it will reach you :) ! and I believe the first day is August 14th. I wish you all the besttt

I got accepted into another medical school but I was just curious. I want closure from this school.

Orientation begins a week from today. I do not think there will be any more WL movement. Good luck to those still praying. Maybe I'll see you next week. Maybe next year. Maybe never because you'll attend elsewhere.

I just withdrew yesterday. Good luck to whoever gets it! If it is a guy let me know because I need someone to replace me in my apartment. It’s not over till it’s over!!