2022-2023 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @yolo2106 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Pennsylvania State Secondary Essay Prompts

1) If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation to medical school. (Maximum 75 words)
2) Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

3) Explain why you decided to apply to the Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)

4) Write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)

5) Write a short statement describing how you envision using your medical education to advance care for under-represented or marginalized populations. (Maximum 250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IS secondary just received

Questions:
1) If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation to medical school. (Maximum 75 words)
2) Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
3) Explain why you decided to apply to the Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)
4) Write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)
5) Write a short statement describing how you envision using your medical education to advance care for under-represented or marginalized populations. (Maximum 250 words)

All the same as last year

Reactions: 1 user
OOS +1. May not be submitting the secondary based on their LOR requirements. I'm a nontraditional student and don't have a letter from undergrad. Asked if letters from my post-bacc could be used instead.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS +1. May not be submitting the secondary based on their LOR requirements. I'm a nontraditional student and don't have a letter from undergrad. Asked if letters from my post-bacc could be used instead.
OOS non trad in similar situation. Where did it say it has to be undergrad? I have a committee letter from my post bac.

Edit: Found it. I sent an email as well. Will post what they say after I find out. Damn might not be applying here as well

Last edited:
man, these are some microscopic word limits

Reactions: 7 users
OOS secondary submitted - I have my letters uploaded and distributed to Penn State on AMCAS, but they haven't marked it as received. Is anyone else facing this issue?

OOS non trad in similar situation. Where did it say it has to be undergrad? I have a committee letter from my post bac.

Edit: Found it. I sent an email as well. Will post what they say after I find out. Damn might not be applying here as well
Not sure if you got the same response, but they basically told me they don't give out any waivers, but that you can double count the requirements. So if you were doing research with a bio professor and you got a LOR, that 1 LOR would meet one of the science LOR and the extracurricular LOR requirement.

Not sure if you got the same response, but they basically told me they don't give out any waivers, but that you can double count the requirements. So if you were doing research with a bio professor and you got a LOR, that 1 LOR would meet one of the science LOR and the extracurricular LOR requirement.
I’m confused. How does that work for a post Bac? So a no, I have to gent undergrad letters?

I’m confused. How does that work for a post Bac? So a no, I have to gent undergrad letters?
Yeah, it was extremely unhelpful. They said they don't give out waivers, but also said "we recommend that you submit all the LOR's that you have received" and "the most important consideration is that you submit outstanding letters. Outstanding letters come from individuals who can speak highly of your skills and qualities and, more importantly, how your merits make you an excellent medical school candidate."

Seems like based on old reddit posts, it may not be worth sending the letters. They apparently don't like to give a straight answer.

Yeah, it was extremely unhelpful. They said they don't give out waivers, but also said "we recommend that you submit all the LOR's that you have received" and "the most important consideration is that you submit outstanding letters. Outstanding letters come from individuals who can speak highly of your skills and qualities and, more importantly, how your merits make you an excellent medical school candidate."

Seems like based on old reddit posts, it may not be worth sending the letters. They apparently don't like to give a straight answer.
Ya also seems a bit discriminatory towards non trads. I graduated 8 years ago and did not know I wanted to pursue medicine until like 4-5 years ago. I mean I got a ton of letters since, from my jobs, a great committee letter, from doctors and hospital programs. Will my outstanding letters make up for not having one from an undergrad? If not why bother applying? I will wait to see what they send me but ugh looking like this may be one I do not apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I'm a reapplicant and for one of the questions it says "Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)" Do you guys think this means I have to list all of the schools I applied to two years ago (I applied to like 30 schools) because that would mean i don't have room to say what I've done to improve which would be the more important part right?

Hi,
I'm a reapplicant and for one of the questions it says "Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)" Do you guys think this means I have to list all of the schools I applied to two years ago (I applied to like 30 schools) because that would mean i don't have room to say what I've done to improve which would be the more important part right?
No just focus on the changes you made

Hi,
Also wondering the same thing. It would be pretty much impossible to answer both in 75 words, so I'm not sure what they intend for us to do with that question

Hi,

I just realized they give you an option to answer in the prompt below (2A) if you don't get to finish your answer in the first one!

@drewmighty @walnutfloor
Came to this thread with a similar LOR question and I think I'm even more confused based on the response(s) y'all received. I'm 15+ years out of undergrad, and I think most of the profs I studied with aren't even with the school anymore.

@drewmighty @walnutfloor
Came to this thread with a similar LOR question and I think I'm even more confused based on the response(s) y'all received. I'm 15+ years out of undergrad, and I think most of the profs I studied with aren't even with the school anymore.
in the same boat, not only I graduated 10 yrs ago, it was also an international institute. I sent an email while back asking if I can get a wavier, and ending up getting a generic reply basically just copied that LOR requirement part from their websites:(

in the same boat, not only I graduated 10 yrs ago, it was also an international institute. I sent an email while back asking if I can get a wavier, and ending up getting a generic reply basically just copied that LOR requirement part from their websites:(
ya wondering if it is worth applying to as a non-trad, seems kinda crappy that this is what kills us after remaking ourselves and working our asses off

I haven't taken any psych/ Behavioral health explicit classes. Should I just not apply to this school or can I say I met the competency in another way?

I haven't taken any psych/ Behavioral health explicit classes. Should I just not apply to this school or can I say I met the competency in another way?
If you have another way you fulfilled the competency, definitely put that

@drewmighty @walnutfloor
Yeah I feel the same with my college. I think Pen State is kinda mean for this. I still submitted mine with just the original LORs. So be it!

Yeah I feel the same with my college. I think Pen State is kinda mean for this. I still submitted mine with just the original LORs. So be it!
I agree. I also just got the copypasta about LoRs. Luckily I was able to reach a professor from my undergrad and she remembered me, but my email to her was so apologetic

You guys, I did it. I just emailed profs I haven't talked to in 10-15 years. >_< I'm holding off on submitting until I have the additional letters because of the verbiage on the app but...definitely having weird fomo since my essays are all done.

@mcatthiccy, could you let me know how it goes with sticking with your original letters?

Edit, less than 24 hrs later: They both said yes to writing letters!?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You guys, I did it. I just emailed profs I haven't talked to in 10-15 years. >_< I'm holding off on submitting until I have the additional letters because of the verbiage on the app but...definitely having weird fomo since my essays are all done.

@mcatthiccy, could you let me know how it goes with sticking with your original letters?
Of course. Keep in mind that I am a Texas resident, so public MD is already an uphill battle for me. I'm sticking with my guns and only giving them my uni undergrad LOR, not my college LOR

For those of you asking about LORs, I emailed them about my specific situation and they were super vague and unhelpful. They basically told me they have the requirements for a reason (to show you are well-rounded) and that I should try to obtain all LORs they require and recommended that I just sent in all 8 of mine if I can't do so. I've been working for 2+ years and have no intention of contacting a non-science faculty to get another letter so i'll keep y'all posted on how quickly I get rejected with this approach

For those of you asking about LORs, I emailed them about my specific situation and they were super vague and unhelpful. They basically told me they have the requirements for a reason (to show you are well-rounded) and that I should try to obtain all LORs they require and recommended that I just sent in all 8 of mine if I can't do so. I've been working for 2+ years and have no intention of contacting a non-science faculty to get another letter so i'll keep y'all posted on how quickly I get rejected with this approach
Honestly I’m just sticking it to them and hoping for the best. Penn state is so difficult for no reason (not really fair for non trads).

OOS, Secondary received today, verified 7/19

I am currently doing my MPH. Do I have to submit a rec letter from my MPH? The app says:
You have multiple degrees. If this is true, you must submit one letter from each of the institutions that has granted you any of the following degrees
However, I do not have a degree yet

@satdixon I think there was another tickbox about study/work after a bachelor's degree that may apply here -- I would expect that they are asking for/prefer a letter from an MPH prof.

Just submitted my secondary with all acronyms as "PSCOM...." whoops
I saw some student groups and similar on Twitter and some other sites using PSCOM so I wouldn't worry

I'm kinda stuck on what to write about one of Penn State's Prompts, "Write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (250 Words)".

- work experience, including retail
- team sport
- major group project
- college club
- putting on a surprise party for your best friend

250 words is short. This doesn't need to be a complicated scenario, but one you can paint quickly and coherently so you have plenty of time to focus on the takeaways and what this experience (either standalone, or 'experiences like these') taught you.

what did yall talk about for #2 (unique aspect question)? did most people use this as a "how did covid affect you" question?

what did yall talk about for #2 (unique aspect question)? did most people use this as a "how did covid affect you" question?
I talked about my hobby of filmmaking and went into a little bit more detail about it when compared to what I wrote in my primary. You can talk about a unique aspect of how COVID impacted you or another aspect of your application that you’d want to highlight and show to them.

Is tomorrow the day we think interviews will go out?

Reactions: 1 users