2022-2023 University of Houston (Fertitta)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @boomertexas for sharing this year's prompts

2022-2023 University of Houston Secondary Questions (same as last year) ***And NOTICE they want it back within 14 days of your invitation date!***

Section 1a
(Yes or no questions, with 300 Characters to explain that experience if you answer yes)
I have prior experience in a primary care setting (yes/no)
I have prior experience in a medical practice or social service for an underserved area (yes/no)
I have prior experience in community or public health (yes/no)

Section 2
Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (750 characters, optional)

3. Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in your TMDSAS primary application. Go to the
UH College of Medicine mission for more information. (1500 character limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Soon to be MS3 here! If you questions, let me know! Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You must move in different social circles than I do, @texasvandy :oops:
Most private school naming rights are going into 100 million or more if I am not mistaken. UH is a premier university and I expect this school will be at 100 or more students within a few years and will be as well known as other medical schools in Texas.

I think UTMB renamed their school after a billion dollars in cumulative donations (?) and so comparatively I think it is cheap.

Reactions: 1 users
Until you learn some of his views…
Believe me, I know. On the other hand, it does make the medical school feel more ingrained with the city of Houston, which is an attractive thing- especially to those from the greater Houston area like myself (ish)

Any idea of the planned class size for 2023 matriculation?

Members don't see this ad :)
An email was just received (6/17) saying applications have begun to be reviewed and that secondaries will be passed out to select applicants

Reactions: 2 users
+1. Someone who gets a secondary let us know plz.

Good news announced today, U of Houston has advanced to Provisional Accreditation status!
The 3 stages of accreditation are Preliminary, Provisional, and Full.

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 11.10.51 AM.png

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Also received a secondary! Prompts are identical to last year's, and a fee waiver is available if you received AMCAS or currently work for a non-profit or serve in the military.

Section 1a:
I have prior experience in primary care setting (general internal medicine physician, general pediatrician, or a family medicine physician). (Yes/no)

I have prior experience in a medical practice or social service for an underserved area. (Yes/no)

I have prior experience in community or public health. (yes/no)

Section 1b:
Describe the setting (urban/intercity; suburban; rural); your role and responsibilities; and approximate date range for any of experience as you indicated in the previous section. The answer no in the category, enter N/A or leave the box blank for that category. Primary care, medical or social service for underserved area, community or public health.

Section 2:
describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted the education that are not already indicated and your TMDSAS application.

Describe up to three of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in the TMDSAS primary application.

[mention]wysdoc [/mention]

I have a question about "I have prior experience in a medical practice or social service for an underserved area.". For social service, does it have to be government-funded? Would volunteering at a diaper bank fit under this section?

I have a question about "I have prior experience in a medical practice or social service for an underserved area.". For social service, does it have to be government-funded? Would volunteering at a diaper bank fit under this section?
If you look at the prompt it asked to detail the populations you worked with and what you did. If the population you worked with was underserved and the service you provided in your role was a social service, then I think that would fit.

would SHADOWING be considered "prior experience"?

Are people using abbrev FFCOM or UHCOM?

I did medical missions volunteering where we had primary care clinics at the places we went. Would that be considered experience in a primary care setting in an underserved area?

I haven't gotten a secondary yet, transmitted 5/27, should I assume I've been screened out 😭?

For those who've received the secondary, where does it say that it needs to be submitted within 2 weeks?

For those who've received the secondary, where does it say that it needs to be submitted within 2 weeks?

"Thank you for your application to Tilman J. Feritta Family College of Medicine! You have qualified to submit a secondary application. Your TMDSAS ID is your user name. You will be prompted to create a password when you log at the initial log in. The recommended deadline to submit your secondary application is 2 weeks from the date stamp on this email. Your application to Fertitta Family College of Medicine will be complete after we receive all MCAT scores, letters of recommendation, secondary application essays and application fees. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated."

This is the entire first paragraph

According to msar my stats are above the 25% for IS accepted students.....maybe I don't align with their mission based off my app. I have very tiny experience in primary care 🤷
It seems like they are very mission-oriented. I am OOS average stats, non-trad. I was honestly shocked I got a secondary, but it seems my app aligns pretty well with their mission.

If they are selectively issuing secondaries, they have to read each application to determine your suitability for their mission. So no one is disqualified until they tell you so and UH has issued rejections very early on last year.

Dont assume anything until you receive an actual notification.

Is there an official source for what constitutes an underserved area? According to the "Rural Health Information Hub" I'm in a county which has a partial shortage. Don't know if there's a source which trumps all others when it comes to this. Also can someone explain exactly what "community health" is? I've found multiple definitions.

****ing finally got the secondary 😭. Just emailed admissions and asked what the status of my primary app was and then got the secondary like 45 minutes later. May not be a II, but still a mini victory. Secondary received 6/21/22

Last edited:
Is there an official source for what constitutes an underserved area? According to the "Rural Health Information Hub" I'm in a county which has a partial shortage. Don't know if there's a source which trumps all others when it comes to this. Also can someone explain exactly what "community health" is? I've found multiple definitions.

They keep changing. There was a time when clinics in the middle of the city in Houston were considered being in underserved areas and there might still be some that fit the description. Read some of the definitions below.

Underservered areas and rural areas don't have same problems since rural areas have their own unique problems compared to an underserved area in the middle of a city.